***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Ny daily news article today said mets are using every resource to acquire cliff lee. I hate amaro
    no way in hell the mets get lee and then have go him to the yankees in the off season

Honestly, from everything I read it seems like it's an ownership decision and they want him. If i were that clown of a GM i would go to the owners and say its not worth giving up our best prospect and if you want to fire me, fire me but I am not making that deal.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Ha. Via MLBTR, the Phillies are interested in Lee but think they are a long shot since Seattle would most likely require Brown. That would be quite embarrassing for Amaro.

Seattle is gonna want more back that what they gave up (which wasn't much). The phils would have to trade brown AND cosart. I wouldn't put anything past amaro...even a trade like that is conceivable with him running shit.

So frustrating the direction this team is heading. Injuries have killed them, which has really exposed the shitty moves amaro has made.

Also, happ sucsks...doesn't matter if he comes back or not. Trade for lilly and one of the IFers notg named feliz

Whoever gets Lee, it's going to take a blue chip prospect, period. After all the trades the Phillies have made I don't get why they think they can trade for a legit infielder and a front end starter without giving up Brown.

It's funny, a commenter on MLBTR today said something like "Don't worry guys, Amaro is turning the Phillies into the Cubs" and with the trades and contracts he has given out, is pretty fucking spot on.

Happ caught lightening in a bottle, nothing more. He is going nowhere.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Ny daily news article today said mets are using every resource to acquire cliff lee. I hate amaro
    no way in hell the mets get lee and then have go him to the yankees in the off season

Honestly, from everything I read it seems like it's an ownership decision and they want him. If i were that clown of a GM i would go to the owners and say its not worth giving up our best prospect and if you want to fire me, fire me but I am not making that deal.
    it would blow up in the coupons face big time. it be a horrible move for the mets. lee is gonna wanna go to a team that has the money and can win and that's really the yanks or sox or go back to the phils.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    it would blow up in the coupons face big time. it be a horrible move for the mets. lee is gonna wanna go to a team that has the money and can win and that's really the yanks or sox or go back to the phils.

Agreed, it may get them the divison this year, but nothing more. If I were the Mets, the only way I make that move is if it gives them a legitimate shot at winning the series, and I don't see it. Although, like i said before, a trade for Lee and getting Beltran back is like 2 big deadline trades.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited July 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Ha. Via MLBTR, the Phillies are interested in Lee but think they are a long shot since Seattle would most likely require Brown. That would be quite embarrassing for Amaro.

Seattle is gonna want more back that what they gave up (which wasn't much). The phils would have to trade brown AND cosart. I wouldn't put anything past amaro...even a trade like that is conceivable with him running shit.

So frustrating the direction this team is heading. Injuries have killed them, which has really exposed the shitty moves amaro has made.

Also, happ sucsks...doesn't matter if he comes back or not. Trade for lilly and one of the IFers notg named feliz

Whoever gets Lee, it's going to take a blue chip prospect, period. After all the trades the Phillies have made I don't get why they think they can trade for a legit infielder and a front end starter without giving up Brown.

It's funny, a commenter on MLBTR today said something like "Don't worry guys, Amaro is turning the Phillies into the Cubs" and with the trades and contracts he has given out, is pretty fucking spot on.

Happ caught lightening in a bottle, nothing more. He is going nowhere.

Damn, the cubs comment hurts. Couldn't be more true. Fucking amaro is the anti-gillick. Its like he saw everything gillick did and decided he wanted to try the opposite. God I get so pissed every time I see howard come up to bat or kick a ground ball. Or fire a grenade into lf. Ugggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Vic has gotten a pass this year...he's been terrible. Along with werth and especially ibanez. Me and buddies were ranking phils biggest playoff hits over last 2 years. Vic had 2 of top 5, including what we all agreed to be the biggest (his homer in game 4 of 08 nlcs). That was best game I've ever seen a philly team win
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Agreed, it may get them the divison this year, but nothing more. If I were the Mets, the only way I make that move is if it gives them a legitimate shot at winning the series, and I don't see it. Although, like i said before, a trade for Lee and getting Beltran back is like 2 big deadline trades.

The nl is crap. The mets get lee, oswalt, or haren....and beltran back...they could be faves in the nl
    The Fixer wrote:
    Damn, the cubs comment hurts. Couldn't be more true. Fucking amaro is the anti-gillick. Its like he saw everything gillick did and decided he wanted to try the opposite. God I get so pissed every time I see howard come up to bat or kick a ground ball. Or fire a grenade into lf. Ugggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Vic has gotten a pass this year...he's been terrible. Along with werth and especially ibanez. Me and buddies were ranking phils biggest playoff hits over last 2 years. Vic had 2 of top 5, including what we all agreed to be the biggest (his homer in game 4 of 08 nlcs). That was best game I've ever seen a philly team win

As for victorino. He's gotten a pass. He hasn't lived up to contract. He was a bargain, now that he's getting paid he deserves some criticism.

Me and buddies were talking about phils biggest playoff hits during this 3 year run.

Yeah, the only good thing he has done is get argubly the best pitcher in baseball but it took him 3 trades to do it. Everything else has been complete garbage. I can't think of one good contract he negotiated besides Hallladay who was begging to go the the Phillies. I thought that Cubs comment was definitely a low blow but spot on.

I am obviously not as familiar with big phillies post season hits as you, so I don't recall but yeah, he has not done a whole hell of a lot. Some big hits will buy you a lot of time though.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

The nl is crap. The mets get lee, oswalt, or haren....and beltran back...they could be faves in the nl

I hear you but the Mets should not be a team that is renting players for top prospects. With that payroll you should not be renting shit.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

As for victorino. He's gotten a pass. He hasn't lived up to contract. He was a bargain, now that he's getting paid he deserves some criticism.

Me and buddies were talking about phils biggest playoff hits during this 3 year run.

Yeah, the only good thing he has done is get argubly the best pitcher in baseball but it took him 3 trades to do it. Everything else has been complete garbage. I can't think of one good contract he negotiated besides Hallladay who was begging to go the the Phillies. I thought that Cubs comment was definitely a low blow but spot on.

I am obviously not as familiar with big phillies post season hits as you, so I don't recall but yeah, he has not done a whole hell of a lot. Some big hits will buy you a lot of time though.

Amaro has spent like he is running a ny team. He's been horrendous. 2 good moves...getting lee and signing halladay. His awful moves far outweigh his good

And victorino almost singlehandedly lost game 3 of thw ws last year. Dropping the ball in center and swinging at the ball that bounced in a key ab vs pettite (I was at pj show, in suite watching...I couldn't believe either play).

Victorino is one of amaros better signings. Aids
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I hear you but the Mets should not be a team that is renting players for top prospects. With that payroll you should not be renting shit.
    agreed

it wouldn't surprise me if the coupons did make this move giving their track record and them always drooling over the back page headlines of ny papers with the yankees. i'm looking at the mets farm system as we speak and i still don't know what the mets have thats good other then mejia who isn't polished in the least bit. maybe they can package jason bay in this deal :lol::lol:

Yeah, you're right, the Lee move was good as well but trading him to Seattle fucked that up.

I get the spending to an extent, the Phillies have gone to the series 2 straight years, you cant walk 10 feet in this city without seeing world series gear, and they have over 100% attendance. One more world series appearance and they should be spending like the Mets. The Howard contract is just a joke though, its just bad business, you dont give him a contact close to that, that far in advance. Not like I have to convince you though.

Victorinos last swing in 2009 was my favorite, sorry.

Edit: Talking baseball drunk is my favorite thing ever. I was hungover as fuck today and watched about 12 straight hours of games.
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

agreed

it wouldn't surprise me if the coupons did make this move giving their track record and them always drooling over the back page headlines of ny papers with the yankees. i'm looking at the mets farm system as we speak and i still don't know what the mets have thats good other then mejia who isn't polished in the least bit. maybe they can package jason bay in this deal :lol::lol:

hhhahahhaha, you are stuck with bay, canadian baseball players, haha (sorry to our canadian friends on here). Any trade for Lee has to be around Mejia or Flores. Mejia is hurt right now, right?

Agreed that the Mets are too concerned with the back page headlines, always have been.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, you're right, the Lee move was good as well but trading him to Seattle fucked that up.

I get the spending to an extent, the Phillies have gone to the series 2 straight years, you cant walk 10 feet in this city without seeing world series gear, and they have over 100% attendance. One more world series appearance and they should be spending like the Mets. The Howard contract is just a joke though, its just bad business, you dont give him a contact close to that, that far in advance. Not like I have to convince you though.

Edit: Talking baseball drunk is my favorite thing ever. I was hungover as fuck today and watched about 12 straight hours of games.

The phils operate on a fixed budget though. Their revenue is maxed out right now. They are selling more tix and more merch than they ever will. Only way they're increasing payroll is thru ticket price increases (which id be happy to pay as a season ticket holder). They don't have a tv station like the ny teams and gay sox.

This is my biggest problem with amaro/upper mgmt. I think the phils are too centered on marketing players than the team. Then again, most fans like jamminpearls and pjhawks are fine with this. I think its the dumbest business model a team can possibly follow. Look at the red sox, they market the team and refrain from long term deals to aging players.

Fans come out to see winning teams, not good players
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The phils operate on a fixed budget though. Their revenue is maxed out right now. They are selling more tix and more merch than they ever will. Only way they're increasing payroll is thru ticket price increases (which id be happy to pay as a season ticket holder). They don't have a tv station like the ny teams and gay sox.

This is my biggest problem with amaro/upper mgmt. I think the phils are too centered on marketing players than the phillies. Then again, most fans like jamminpearls and pjhawks are fine with this. I think its the dumbest business model a team can possibly follow. Look at the red sox, they market the team and refrain from long term deals to aging players.

Oh, absolutely but if they make one more world series, that budget should be more than $140 mil. You are right on the tv networks though. The Yanks make more money off YES than they do the team. That shit is a gold mine. I am sure NESN is the same way for Boston.

I hear you on their players. If the Philles are stuck at a $150 mil budget in 2014 and Howard is making $25 of that, fans are not going to be happy. 140 rbi's though.....

I hate to bring everything back to the Yanks but, if the Yankees are playing hard ball with Jeter and Mo, which they are, the Phillies should not be giving out $125 mil contacts to Ryan fucking Howard, 1.5 years in advance.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

hhhahahhaha, you are stuck with bay, canadian baseball players, haha (sorry to our canadian friends on here). Any trade for Lee has to be around Mejia or Flores. Mejia is hurt right now, right?

Agreed that the Mets are too concerned with the back page headlines, always have been.
    i knew you'd like that lol. i don't know whats worse the bay contract or the pedro one from a few years back.

mejia has a cuff strain and should be back soon. flores is only 19 years old and is a few years away from being in the majors. i can't see the m's wanting a pitcher who isn't polished and ss whose years away.

the mets have always been concerned with the back pages. it's kinda hard not to when you have the most recognized known franchise in the world less then 11 miles away from you :roll: :roll:.

Oh, and with the dbacks shakeup, Haren is not going anywhere unless it is for one hell of a package. No one is getting Haren for 3 years at a decent price for anything less than a package centered around one of the best prospects in baseball.
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i knew you'd like that lol. i don't know whats worse the bay contract or the pedro one from a few years back.

mejia has a cuff strain and should be back soon. flores is only 19 years old and is a few years away from being in the majors. i can't see the m's wanting a pitcher who isn't polished and ss whose years away.

the mets have always been concerned with the back pages. it's kinda hard not to when you have the most recognized known franchise in the world less then 11 miles away from you :roll: :roll:.

I know its gotta be tough for the Mets but get over it and concentrate on winning. Winning will fill that park. There are a lot of Mets fans in that area, a lot. It's not like they have a weak fan base. Fuck the ny post and worry about your winning %.

I hear Flores is the real deal though. Yeah, that is what I heard about Meija. i would keep both of them if I were the Mets.

How about the Santana golf course incident. How come that has not been mentioned aroud here?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

This is my biggest problem with amaro/upper mgmt. I think the phils are too centered on marketing players than the phillies. Then again, most fans like jamminpearls and pjhawks are fine with this. I think its the dumbest business model a team can possibly follow. Look at the red sox, they market the team and refrain from long term deals to aging players.

Oh, absolutely but if they make one more world series, that budget should be more than $140 mil. You are right on the tv networks though. The Yanks make more money off YES than they do the team. That shit is a gold mine. I am sure NESN is the same way for Boston.

I hear you on their players. If the Philles are stuck at a $150 mil budget in 2014 and Howard is making $25 of that, fans are not going to be happy. 140 rbi's though.....

The ryan howard contract is the equivalent of a nick nolte mugshot

The yanks tv channel is genius...15 years from now every team will have that.

I think the recent phils success is a flash in the pan. The team just isn't managed well enough to sustain success. Who trades a top 10 mlb pitcher when they're favorites to go to the world series? Then gives an aging, declining player 125 mill 2 years before they have to???????? Dumb dumb dumb and fucking really dumb

I've had season tix for 7 years now. Had my fun at games. Went to more playoff games than I ever expected. I will always love the phils but I can already feel myself getting pissed at their stupidity. This team is going downhill fast...and amaros driving

I hate to bring everything back to the Yanks but, if the Yankees are playing hard ball with Jeter and Mo, which they are, the Phillies should not be giving out $125 mil contacts to Ryan fucking Howard, 1.5 years in advance.
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hate ibanez, but bay is one of the few guys in mlb I wouldn't trade him for...due to contracts.

Id trade bay for howard though

You still have that sig? Ibanez is pink eye, bay is aids, howard is aids-cancer-sars
    The Fixer wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hate ibanez, but bay is one of the few guys in mlb I wouldn't trade him for...due to contracts.

You still have that sig? Ibanez is pink eye, bay is aids, howard is aids-cancer-sars

Sars....that is awesome.
    I think the Phillies success is more than a flash in the pan, but much much much less than a dynasty that has been mentioned in places, here for one I believe. Closer to a flash in the pan than a dynasty. There is no taking away what they have done, getting to the series 2 years in a row and winning one is a legit accomplishment but Amaro is trying to fuck shit up....trying hard.
    Yep, a simple search of the word "dynasty" will show you that it has been mentioned around here.
    The Fixer wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Bay stinks, the green monster is the best thing to ever happen to his career.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yep, a simple search of the word "dynasty" will show you that it has been mentioned around here.
    Never by me. But i d have some educated guesses

Amaro isn't trying to fuck things up...he has fucked things up

Baseball is awesome. I love the phils. I just hate seeing them run by boobs like montgomery and amaro. Their success is the epitome of flash in pan. 5 years from now this twam will have dom brown as an all star...to go with 5 overpaid stiffs. Utley will be the only one smart enough to leave. Which will really suck cause he's the one guy I want to see retire here. Instead I will be stuck watching a 37 yr old howard trying to figure out how to field a ground ball. That will be fun
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Baseball is awesome. I love the phils. I just hate seeing them run by boobs like montgomery and amaro. Their success is the epitome of flash in pan. 5 years from now this twam will have dom brown as an all star...to go with 5 overpaid stiffs. Utley will be the only one smart enough to leave. Which will really suck cause he's the one guy I want to see retire here. Instead I will be stuck watching a 37 yr old howard trying to figure out how to field a ground ball. That will be fun

Am I crazy, or do the Cards from a few years ago and the Phillies have a lot in common (except their sluggers cannot be compared)?

You think that about Utley? He is locked up through '13. I would be suprised at that.
    Shhhhhh......Votto has reached base in 40 straight games. Look at the teams record during that time.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Am I crazy, or do the Cards from a few years ago and the Phillies have a lot in common (except their sluggers cannot be compared)?

The cards play in that shit division. 6 teams and 5 of them suck every year (sometimes 6). They need to put one of them in the west

Who knows what will happen with utley. He, hamels, rollins all fa's around same time. Who knows what amaro is capable of

Cliff I'm in same boat as you. At in laws shorehouse...up drinking alone. Prob sleeping on couch. Turned down a phils pitt trip today. I was so much cooler before marriage
    You think that about Utley? He is locked up through '13. I would be suprised at that.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Shhhhhh......Votto has reached base in 40 straight games. Look at the teams record during that time.
    I'm posting on my new phone, so that's why my quotes are jacked.

Votto is already better than howard. Makes that 5 year extension look even sweeter rube. Nice work!!
    Another bad move from Amaro that is never talked about, picking up Rollins option so early. So unnecessary.

Yeah, man. Been drinking by myself all night.

She had her neices over and I am not a real good sleeper unless I am in my bed, then I can sleep all day. Bar next door was a little loud, figured I would just drink myself to sleep then we got talking baseballm, haha.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I'm posting on my new phone, so that's why my quotes are jacked.

Votto is already better than howard. Makes that 5 year extension look even sweeter rube. Nice work!!

Posting on the phone sucks. The iphone app is sucks and I cant even look at the new mobile site without getting dizzy.
This discussion has been closed.