***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Solat13 wrote:

I hope you have the same policy when it comes to 3,000 hits because Renteria is only 33 and only about 770 hits away from 3,000. He could easily hang on as part time player and get to 3,000.

As for Moyer, he'd have to not give up a run for 440 straight innings to tie the guy currently in the HOF with the highest ERA.

are you a calculator?

i agree with jearlpam...if he sticks around and gets 300, he's in. if not, no. ........another question is if charlie will put him on the all star team. most likely not. but if he does, i think the fixer migh spontaneously combust. :lol:

what about strasburg? do you think he should be an all star? as long as bud selig's stupid idea of making this exhibition game "count" is in effect, i am totally for him pitching a couple innings of relief against hitters who don't have a book on him.

and regarding the era though--most of the pitchers who get in from the steroid era will have era's higher than most of the players already in the hall right now. like jim said, its all about the generation you played in.

manuel has been saying how important it is to win the all star game...that will make it hilarious when he takes moyer and howard this year. howard is having a decent year, but votto, gonzalez, and pujols are all having better years (all have higher BA/OBP/SLG, as well as hrs)

if manuel is trying to win the all star game, he should take strasburg. he's already one of the best pitchers in the NL
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,502
    The Fixer wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:

manuel has been saying how important it is to win the all star game...that will make it hilarious when he takes moyer and howard this year. howard is having a decent year, but votto, gonzalez, and pujols are all having better years (all have higher BA/OBP/SLG, as well as hrs)

if manuel is trying to win the all star game, he should take strasburg. he's already one of the best pitchers in the NL

pujols will be voted in.

last year i believe he took both howard and fielder maybe? could have been gonzalez. there def was 3 of them though. i could see him taking gonzo and howard to back pujols up this time around. lot of quality choices at that position though.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Pitchers were on steroids as well

are you guys aware that cliff lee has 4 walks on the year? 4!!!!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Pitchers were on steroids as well

are you guys aware that cliff lee has 4 walks on the year? 4!!!!!!!

steroids clearly benefited the hitters more...that along with the new ballparks being the size of wiffleball fields.

i can see it now...for the next month there will be a ridiculous debate in this town of if we should trade dominic brown to obtain lee. watch. it's coming....
    www.myspace.com
    I agree, just saying eveyone was on steroids.

Haha. That would be funny but I bet he's traded before everyone can get worked up about it.

5 walks on the season now. That is just sick though.

Can't quote with this dumb new mobile format
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I agree, just saying eveyone was on steroids.

Haha. That would be funny but I bet he's traded before everyone can get worked up about it.

5 walks on the season now. That is just sick though.

Can't quote with this dumb new mobile format

halladay, lee, hamels, blanton, moyer................amaro you idiot! :x :x
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,776
    Well despite Utley and Polanco on the DL Phills playing pretty well so far tonight, keep it up guys :)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

last year i believe he took both howard and fielder maybe? could have been gonzalez. there def was 3 of them though. i could see him taking gonzo and howard to back pujols up this time around. lot of quality choices at that position though.

even better, he took 4 first basemen...fielder, gonzalez, pujols, and howard. and howard had the worst numbers at last year's all star break too.

if howard makes it over votto this year it just further proves the all star game is a joke. votto has better numbers in every stat that matters (ie not RBI)
    keith law updated prospect rankings out today.

new #1 prospect in baseball is............

1. Domonic Brown, OF, Philadelphia. Is there anything he can't do? He's destroying everything in his path in Double-A and is probably just some defensive refinements from being big league ready. I don't think he's next off the list to the big leagues, but with Raul Ibanez providing below-average offense and defense in left, I'd have to think the Phils are looking at Brown for a second-half call-up. Previous ranking: No. 7

22. Jarred Cosart, RHP, Philadelphia. With one of the best fastballs of any starter in the minors, he's carving through the Sally League in his first full season in pro ball. Previous ranking: NR

also, props to South Jersey's Mike Trout who has shot up prospect lists since being drafted in 2009.

3. Mike Trout, OF, LA Angels. Oh, just call him up already. The way he's going, he probably could handle it. Previous ranking: No. 14

Also, Michael Taylor was one of the 3 guys that dropped out of the top 25 (was 19th). so it looks like amaro finally did something right and kept the right guy. here's a singleton mention (he was in the 'just missed' category)

Jonathan Singleton? Too small a sample for a player who didn't come in with the track record or scouting reports to put him here before the season.
    votto is a beast
    The Fixer wrote:
    votto is a beast

...and so is the R6 :thumbup:

all aboooooooooooooard!

fucking clutch.....i was just about to rip manual for not bunting ibanez too.

lidge...yet another blown save...
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

1. Domonic Brown, OF, Philadelphia. Is there anything he can't do? He's destroying everything in his path in Double-A and is probably just some defensive refinements from being big league ready. I don't think he's next off the list to the big leagues, but with Raul Ibanez providing below-average offense and defense in left, I'd have to think the Phils are looking at Brown for a second-half call-up. Previous ranking: No. 7

22. Jarred Cosart, RHP, Philadelphia. With one of the best fastballs of any starter in the minors, he's carving through the Sally League in his first full season in pro ball. Previous ranking: NR

also, props to South Jersey's Mike Trout who has shot up prospect lists since being drafted in 2009.

3. Mike Trout, OF, LA Angels. Oh, just call him up already. The way he's going, he probably could handle it. Previous ranking: No. 14

Also, Michael Taylor was one of the 3 guys that dropped out of the top 25 (was 19th). so it looks like amaro finally did something right and kept the right guy. here's a singleton mention (he was in the 'just missed' category)

Jonathan Singleton? Too small a sample for a player who didn't come in with the track record or scouting reports to put him here before the season.

where does he have last year's golden boy, drabek? i heard he's struggling at double a this year...
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    votto is a beast

all aboooooooooooooard!

you should rip manuel for not bunting there. and leaving ibanez in LF instead of francisco. they win in spite of their manager...he makes some really stupid moves
    The Fixer wrote:

where does he have last year's golden boy, drabek? i heard he's struggling at double a this year...

he's never been a top 25 prospect. he's a 2 or 3 starter...maybe a 4 in the AL east
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    votto is a beast

all aboooooooooooooard!

you should rip manuel for not bunting there. and leaving ibanez in LF instead of francisco. they win in spite of their manager...he makes some really stupid moves

I'm sorry you DO NOT take Raul out there, and you definitely don't bunt with him.
    edited June 2010
    The Fixer wrote:

I'm sorry you DO NOT take Raul out there, and you definitely don't bunt with him.

are you being sarcastic?

guy's batting .244 and was 0 for 4 at that point with runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs, in a tie game in extra innings...that's a text book sac bunt situation. either way he came through big time. even if that dude caught it, he did what he had to do. clutch.

that 10th inning was HUGE after lidge blowing that save and with all the bad news we had yesterday. if doc shuts them down tonight, this will go down as a pretty damn big series win for this season.

GO. PHILS.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423

you don't take him out but it would it kill him to make a play in front of him? Wtf? how many times does the ball land once bounce in front if Ibanez? not sure why we are playing so deep with a 3 run lead. Of course Lidge walking Phillips with 2 outs and no one on makes no fn sense either - make him hit a fucking pitch Brad. this team is so frustrating at times this year.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Phanatic Gone Wild !!

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homep ... d=15585797

Big green litigation machine
    He's fun & frantic & beloved - and may be the most sued mascot in the majors

By STEPHANIE FARR
    Philadelphia Daily News

THE PHILLIE PHANATIC may soon find himself in court - and not just over a stolen base.

The Phanatic has been sued in Philadelphia Civil Court by a 75-year-old woman who claims that he injured her knees when he climbed through the stands at a 2008 Reading Phillies minor league game.

Even the woman's attorney, John Speicher, of Wyomissing, said that people around him have said that "this is like suing Santa Claus."

"I'm expecting him to come to a deposition, stick his stomach and his tongue out at me and not say anything," Speicher said.

The Phanatic is no stranger to lawsuits. In a study published in the May 2002 Cardozo Law Review, Bob Jarvis, professor of sports law at Nova Southeastern University, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., said that the Phanatic holds the "dubious record as the most-sued mascot in the majors."

In her case, Grace Crass, of Wernersville, claims that she was at the Reading game with her church group when the massive, green, bird-anteater hybrid climbed through the stands and onto her legs, Speicher said.

"Not only was the pain immediate, she started yelling at him," Speicher said.

Crass claims that her arthritis, which had been asymptomatic, kicked into full gear.

"It set off the arthritic process, and in fairly short order she needed a lot of medical treatment," Speicher said. "Ultimately, she needed to get knee replacements."

Crass is seeking in excess of $50,000 in damages from several defendants including Tom Burgoyne, who plays the Phanatic, the Philadelphia Phillies and the Reading Phillies.

Phillies spokeswoman Bonnie Clark said that both the team and Burgoyne declined to comment on pending litigation. She did question Jarvis' characterization of the Phanatic as the "most-sued mascot in the majors," and said that he's been sued only twice in the last decade.

Daily News records show, though, that the Phanatic was sued at least three times in the decade before that, including once for hugging someone too hard.

Jarvis said that there are several reasons why the Phanatic may be prone to lawsuits, including his longevity. "He's been around so long and performed so many times, he gets sued more than a mascot that's more recent," he said.

The construction of the bulky body of the Galapagos native may also play a factor, he said.

"It's very ungainly, not like some mascots where the person in the suit has a lot of control," he said.

The Phanatic's personality could be another piece of the puzzle.

"The Phanatic is fanatic, it's in his name - he has to walk around and do crazy things," Jarvis said. "Because he's been around so long, he also has to keep topping himself."

Speicher agreed that the Phanatic is more "engaging and interactive" than the mascots typically seen at Reading Phillies games.

"Their mascot is Screwball, and it's like he's on Valium," Speicher said. "They say Screwball has the energy of Perry Como."

Finally, Jarvis said that the suits against the Phanatic may just be the result of a "litigious society."

"Once you get sued once, your chances of getting sued again go up," he said.

Speicher said that he filed the suit in Philadelphia Civil Court and not in Reading because most of the defendants are in the Philadelphia area.

Jarvis suspects that there may be other reasons, though, including that the major-league team, and not the minor-league team or the mascot, has the ability to pay larger verdicts, and because Philadelphia civil juries tend to be "more friendly" toward plaintiffs than suburban ones.

But Jarvis said that the civil suits shouldn't deter the Phanatic from being the phreak we all love, because that's the reason he has endured.

"If you have a good mascot he's worth a lot to you as a team because he's the face of the team even when the team isn't playing well," he said.

"The Phanatic is a classic character. He's bigger than the Phillies. At this point, he's part of the game of baseball."
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    pjhawks wrote:

you don't take him out but it would it kill him to make a play in front of him? Wtf? how many times does the ball land once bounce in front if Ibanez? not sure why we are playing so deep with a 3 run lead. Of course Lidge walking Phillips with 2 outs and no one on makes no fn sense either - make him hit a fucking pitch Brad. this team is so frustrating at times this year.

why don't you take ibanez out there? francisco had just pinch hit in the top of the 10th, so all you had to do was send him to LF to protect the 3 run lead. francisco > ibanez in the field. no brainer for me, francisco should have been in LF for the 10th

and you always play deep with a 3 run lead at the end of games. last thing you want as an OF is for the ball to go over your head. gotta keep the hitter on first base
    howard is so bad in the field. CATCH THE FUCKING BALL!!!!!!!!
    They playing now?
  • yes, halladay is trying to get a win for The Globex Corporation, end this brutal 4 game losing streak. Oh, and the Phillies are playing simultaneously, up 3-0 in the Top of the 5th
    Is it just me, or has the all-around production of the televised games this year been AWWWWWFUL? The main part that I wanna see, ya know, the game, has difficulty being covered by the cameramen. And, of course, don't even get me started on those two pedophiles in the booth.
    Is it just me, or has the all-around production of the televised games this year been AWWWWWFUL? The main part that I wanna see, ya know, the game, has difficulty being covered by the cameramen. And, of course, don't even get me started on those two pedophiles in the booth.

i don't know who is worse at this point, tmac or wheels. to me, wheels is slightly more tolerable only because he's been here longer than i have been alive. but everytime i heard that comcast comercial with clips of the broadcast and mccarthy saying something stupid like "THAT'S GONNA GENERATE SOMETHIN'!"
    i involuntarily puke all over myself.

franske and la need to be the number 1 team by the start of next season.
    www.myspace.com

And they need to fire all their cameramen. Horrible angles and timing it seems like all season.
    Oh, and I can't believe we're gonna fucking lose this game because A) Werth is a terrible fielder & B) We're getting our run production from Wilson Valdez and Dane fucking Sardinha. Get the fuck outta here. Unbelievable.
    Don't think I would have believed you if you told me before the season that at the end of June, Halladay would be 9-7 in the NL.

And they need to fire all their cameramen. Horrible angles and timing it seems like all season.

Agree that the broadcast is terrible. Anyone hear Sarge call Harang Franklinstein? hahaha, he is the best...he can't even get nicknames right
    Oh, and I can't believe we're gonna fucking lose this game because A) Werth is a terrible fielder & B) We're getting our run production from Wilson Valdez and Dane fucking Sardinha. Get the fuck outta here. Unbelievable.

that play by werth was awful. I remember someone saying he could play CF. yikes
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Don't think I would have believed you if you told me before the season that at the end of June, Halladay would be 9-7 in the NL.

further proof that W-L record for pitchers means nothing

tough loss today...phils botched a few plays in the field. and did nothing offensively
This discussion has been closed.