• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    The last few nights:

Bullet Train
    Murder Mystery
    The Nice Guys
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Barb Wire isn't able to stream or rent (to stream) from anywhere here in Sweden :( 
    Score a big point for Sweden.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Barb Wire isn't able to stream or rent (to stream) from anywhere here in Sweden :( 
    Is that the Pamela Anderson flick?
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Is that the Pamela Anderson flick?
    PAMELA ANDERSON LEE 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    That was a horrible comic, I imagine the movie was bad too.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    The last few nights:

Bullet Train
    Murder Mystery
    The Nice Guys
    Bullet Train and Nice Guys are good!
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Nice Guys is one of my all time favorite movies
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    I wanted to have a double feature with it together with Casablanca
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Very similar films.
  • Options
    Wow, Barb Wire and Casablanca? Going for the extreme opposites or did you find a theme?
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Very similar films.
    Isn’t it basically the same story
  • Options
    😂 Yes, I read the plot synopsis, you are definitely onto something there. Proceed with the double feature!
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,272
    A Man Called Otto (2022)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,506
    Holy Spider HOH - The Garden Cinema
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Hail, Caesar!
    Bad Times at the El Royale
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,159
    Three Amigos 
  • Options

• Options
    FIRE
    WALK
    WITH
    ME
  • Options
    Neve saw that. I had missed Twin Peaks, so didn’t see that one. Good?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Bullet Train
    Prisoners

Really enjoyed Bullet Train. Reminded me of Kill Bill in some ways.

Prisoners was intense and good. I like Denis Villenueve. His endings are sometimes a little abrupt, but good stories and acting.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Both of those were good. Prisoners was a bit abrupt, but he heard that whistle, right? Villanueve is great. It’s really strange, but have you seen Enemy?
  • Options

• Options
    Neve saw that. I had missed Twin Peaks, so didn’t see that one. Good?
    It's just weird, and with a "weird amateur attempt at a movie" look to it.

But it's Lynch-weird, so watchable. 

Don't really remember Twin Peaks season 1, never saw season 2, and skipped season 3 at episode 12 when Eddie played.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,016
    edited February 2023
    Both of those were good. Prisoners was a bit abrupt, but he heard that whistle, right? Villanueve is great. It’s really strange, but have you seen Enemy?
    I find him being a bit of... a cynical aping director. Like he is aping other movies that has come before. Genrewise and visually. Having Mexico have a yellow tint in Sicaro is like--- yes that is how other people have made Mexico look before, did you by any chance watch Soderberghs Traffic as reference?

Even Enemy (Which I realllly liked) I feel like he was sitting at home figuring out he wanted to do one of those "weighty acted" cult movies (Primer etc) and made it. Well made. But there is always a cynical thing to his stuff. I feel. Don't know here that comes from. I think I am alone with that feeling.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Hmm, you’re not wrong about the cynicism. He’s a bit like Nolan, in that there’s not always as much emotional warmth in his movies as other directors. Yeah, that trick from Traffic, you are right. Although I really enjoy Del Toro and Blunt in Sicario.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,016
    edited February 2023
    Hmm, you’re not wrong about the cynicism. He’s a bit like Nolan, in that there’s not always as much emotional warmth in his movies as other directors. Yeah, that trick from Traffic, you are right. Although I really enjoy Del Toro and Blunt in Sicario.
    Yes, Scicaro is a tense film. That highway scene. Rewatched it (it was on TV) two weeks ago.

It feels a bit like an AI has made the film from a set parameters, and it's done very well. But there is something missing. Maybe "life" or artistic conviction. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    The last scene gets me though with the kids playing soccer who hear the gunshot, pause, and then go back to playing. Just another day. 
  • Options

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Father of the Bride 

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018