Men! Think back, and answer me this little question -

Comments

• dunkman wrote:
    you left something for me? is it gonorrhea?

HAHAHA! You two crack me up me so consintently up!

I could just pat you on the head and pinch your cheek. ;) (soulsinging).
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    perhaps just being able to carry on an intelligent conversation, finding out you have a lot in common, setting up a date, and her dropping off the face of the earth after that. that left an impression alright..........
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    i dont think you read his post carefully. he said it was the last time he had a meaningful conversation with her. calling a guy cute and sweet is BAD (esp the part about making some other girl a great husband). what a guy hears when you say that is "you're a nice guy, but i would rather die single than ever let you lay a finger on me." we don't want to be nice or cute. we want you to say things that imply we are so sexually irresistible to you that you will do dirty, nasty things with us you would never consider with another man.

The man speaks the truth.
  • laughing at all the responses by men

let's just say they think with only one "thing" and that "thing" only only has one idea.....
    Ok, just to prove you wrong... :p I'll withhold on any flattery regarding that "thing" or anything related.

The one that sticks out in my mind is just a friend I have. You'd have to know her to understand why I'd be so flattered by this, but I'll try to explain. I consider her to be an extremely talented artist, both as a painter and poet. Her work is complex and meaningful and heavy and deep...all those things that I would want my work to be if I were an artist. So because she's so expressive and reaches way way down within to create, she's also very critical of art in general. In fact, I wouldn't even consider her to be a fan of art at all. But the last time I saw her, we were just hanging out, and out of nowhere she recited a line from something I had written, slapped me on the arm and smiled, and said "you're a great writer...I love your stuff. I read it all the time" (referring to some stuff I'd posted on this other message board we both read).
  • Ah men :) they're all seriously full of shit!

I think it would ruin one or two reputations for them to honestly answer this question... but I know more than are admitting it actually HAVE an answer.

Good luck trying to get it out of them though Einat :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Ah men :) they're all seriously full of shit!

I think it would ruin one or two reputations for them to honestly answer this question... but I know more than are admitting it actually HAVE an answer.

Good luck trying to get it out of them though Einat :o

i can only remember one compliment i ever really received from a girl (in ireland, incidentally). she said i was the most genuine person she had ever meant. i have no idea how much of the glow it provided had to do with the fact that it was a post-coital conversation though.
  • i can only remember one compliment i ever really received from a girl (in ireland, incidentally). she said i was the most genuine person she had ever meant. i have no idea how much of the glow it provided had to do with the fact that it was a post-coital conversation though.
    Now see though... there's a nice one!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

rubbish ;)

best compliment i had was "hey normally i'd charge people $50 for what we just did, but you were so good i'm going to write you a cheque"

:p
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170

Good luck trying to get it out of them though Einat
    hey, don't tar us all with the same brush :) some of us are sensitive souls in touch with our emotions... :p

A girl I was very close to once said that she had never met a more sincere guy before. Apparently I was the first one who was interested in her as a person and not just an object to have sex with :o which is sad really. Good for my ego though :p Always good, being told you're special.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Now see though... there's a nice one!

except the compliment didnt matter. becos if she'd said it in the context of an 'i just wanna be friends' convo instead of after fucking me, i doubt id be flattered, pleased, or remember. id probly just resent her.

compliments from women only work when they include a promise of sex. otherwise it's like giving you a hug to stick a knife in your back.
  • compliments from women only work when they include a promise of sex. otherwise it's like giving you a hug to stick a knife in your back.

wtf?! are you serious?! :confused:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    wtf?! are you serious?! :confused:

for the most part. case in point... the one earlier about how a guy is so sweet and cute and would make a great husband... for someone else. that's fucking shitty. don't tell me that bullshit cos it rings false. if we were so cute and sweet we'd make a great husband for you, but we know you're just placating it and you don't mean it.

and if you ARE just a friend, i dont need or want an awkward compliment from you. if im in a bar with a guy friend and he says "dude, you have the bluest eyes ever" or "you know, your sense of humor really brightens my day" id have to kick his fucking ass. so why would i want/care to hear it from a girl? the compliment is unspoken between friends. we dont feel the need to validate the friendship. so dont bother, it means nothing to us.

in a romantic situation, no compliment is going to make a guy feel good unless it includes the sentiment that you want him as a sexual partner. otherwise it's going to do more damage than good. becos saying "you are the nicest guy ever, but i don't want to get physical with you" is like saying "you are the nicest guy ever, but you are so hideously unattractive there is no way i can possibly look past it to explore a real physical relationship with you."
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    einatshaul wrote:
    What was the most flattering thing a woman (any woman) has ever said to you?

I'm trying to get an idea of what themes and subject matters stick in a guy's mind after a conversation with a woman... No need to reveal anything too personal, just your honest opinion!

Looking forward to your interesting answers...

Thanks!

I hate to say it but this seems so calculated...like you're looking for something to snag someone...

The best compliments are usually SINCERE ones about something you honestly feel!! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • for the most part. case in point... the one earlier about how a guy is so sweet and cute and would make a great husband... for someone else. that's fucking shitty. don't tell me that bullshit cos it rings false. if we were so cute and sweet we'd make a great husband for you, but we know you're just placating it and you don't mean it.

and if you ARE just a friend, i dont need or want an awkward compliment from you. if im in a bar with a guy friend and he says "dude, you have the bluest eyes ever" or "you know, your sense of humor really brightens my day" id have to kick his fucking ass. so why would i want/care to hear it from a girl? the compliment is unspoken between friends. we dont feel the need to validate the friendship. so dont bother, it means nothing to us.

in a romantic situation, no compliment is going to make a guy feel good unless it includes the sentiment that you want him as a sexual partner. otherwise it's going to do more damage than good. becos saying "you are the nicest guy ever, but i don't want to get physical with you" is like saying "you are the nicest guy ever, but you are so hideously unattractive there is no way i can possibly look past it to explore a real physical relationship with you."

no, it's not like saying that.
    saying something nice about someone is saying something nice about someone. period. there is no underlying hidden meaning, there is no other motive, it's not being mean. come off it.

you know I find it so hilarious that in the past you've called me "bitter." I cannot possibly imagine a person on this planet who is more bitter than you.
  • wtf?! are you serious?! :confused:
    Deadly!

Sian meet soulsinging :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    for the most part. case in point... the one earlier about how a guy is so sweet and cute and would make a great husband... for someone else. that's fucking shitty. don't tell me that bullshit cos it rings false. if we were so cute and sweet we'd make a great husband for you, but we know you're just placating it and you don't mean it.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again: You do NOT speak for all men. You certainly don't speak for me. Just because all you want from a woman is sex, don't project that onto the rest of the male gender. There's a lot more to life, and if you fail to see that, I feel sorry for you.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    audiodave wrote:
    I've said it before, and i'll say it again: You do NOT speak for all men. You certainly don't speak for me. Just because all you want from a woman is sex, don't project that onto the rest of the male gender. There's a lot more to life, and if you fail to see that, I feel sorry for you.
    I actually think soulsinging is right about some of what he said but I agree with you that he does NOT speak for all men :) One of my friends, who has a boyfriend, randomly told me that I looked really nice the other day when she was a bit drunk and being much less inhibited and I was actually pretty pleased. It was clearly not some loaded comment because she has a boyfriend that she is happy with, she was just being nice and, seemingly, without an agenda. Having said that, it could be that she is unhappy with her boyfriend and was trying to seduce me, I don't know ;)

But soulsinging, your cynicism, however well-founded, makes me despair for the world. Don't do that to me please :D
    by the way, you know your sense of humour really brightens up my day?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • for the most part. case in point... the one earlier about how a guy is so sweet and cute and would make a great husband... for someone else. that's fucking shitty. don't tell me that bullshit cos it rings false. if we were so cute and sweet we'd make a great husband for you, but we know you're just placating it and you don't mean it.

Can I just say, you certainly do not speak for me, sweetness.

I tell my boyfriend all the time that he's cute and sweet because... urm... HE IS :rolleyes: Amazingly enough, it doesn't make him any less attractive or sexually appealing to me. He's absolutely gorgeous so why shouldn't I tell him so? I have in the past, dated men like you, and I can tell you now that I've never had so little confidence or felt so uncomfortable expressing my feelings. I wish any woman luck with you. Maybe if you listened to women and didn't treat them like an object every once in a while you might be a bit more positive and less bitter sounding.

Also, I tell my friends all the time how great they are, male or female. What does it take? A compliment here, a hug there... A few words and the smallest actions can make someone feel appreciated and loved more than anything. I can't help thinking maybe you're socially inept? Maybe you should look into that, could be a problem for the future...

I for one, am completely comfortable with my emotions and feelings for others, I don't have problem differenciating or expressing them. I don't feel you are and I also feel very sorry for you but ah well... it's your life.... good luck with that.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Would have to be...."I've seen smaller"
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It was clearly not some loaded comment because she has a boyfriend that she is happy with, she was just being nice and, seemingly, without an agenda. Having said that, it could be that she is unhappy with her boyfriend and was trying to seduce me, I don't know ;)

You boys read way way way too far into these things. Your friend meant you looked nice the other day. She is not trying to seduce you.
  • wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    You boys read way way way too far into these things. Your friend meant you looked nice the other day. She is not trying to seduce you.

I was thinking that...reading into things is a very female trait.

Are men turning into women?!

Da da daaaaaaa :D
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • I tell my boyfriend all the time that he's cute and sweet because... urm... HE IS :rolleyes: Amazingly enough, it doesn't make him any less attractive or sexually appealing to me. He's absolutely gorgeous so why shouldn't I tell him so? I have in the past, dated men like you, and I can tell you now that I've never had so little confidence or felt so uncomfortable expressing my feelings. I wish any woman luck with you. Maybe if you listened to women and didn't treat them like an object every once in a while you might be a bit more positive and less bitter sounding.

EXACTLY sian. I told my boyfriend he was cute everyday. I called him sweetness as a pet name. and yes, I let him have sex with me, pretty much everyday...

I also agree that when you're dating someone as screwed up, twisted, and bitter...it makes for a HORRIBLE time. always making sure you say/don't say the right things. worried they're analysing you.
    I think you read too much into his post. What he said was followed by a ;) indicating to me that he didn't mean that bit.

By the way, I agree with what you said. She probably just thought he looked nice.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• I let him have sex with me, pretty much everyday...

sorry GTD, that really made me laugh :D

• Can I just say, you certainly do not speak for me, sweetness.

I tell my boyfriend all the time that he's cute and sweet because... urm... HE IS :rolleyes: Amazingly enough, it doesn't make him any less attractive or sexually appealing to me. He's absolutely gorgeous so why shouldn't I tell him so? I have in the past, dated men like you, and I can tell you now that I've never had so little confidence or felt so uncomfortable expressing my feelings. I wish any woman luck with you. Maybe if you listened to women and didn't treat them like an object every once in a while you might be a bit more positive and less bitter sounding.

Also, I tell my friends all the time how great they are, male or female. What does it take? A compliment here, a hug there... A few words and the smallest actions can make someone feel appreciated and loved more than anything. I can't help thinking maybe you're socially inept? Maybe you should look into that, could be a problem for the future...

I for one, am completely comfortable with my emotions and feelings for others, I don't have problem differenciating or expressing them. I don't feel you are and I also feel very sorry for you but ah well... it's your life.... good luck with that.
    Beautiful post :)

And I love you two :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    One compliment I gave was that I thought the guy had wicked taste in music.

Silly stuff like that is important to me...good taste in music=certain level of appreciation and emotion.
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • audiodave wrote:

By the way, I agree with what you said. She probably just thought he looked nice.

some people (not jeremy1012 I might add, I also believe he was joking) just can't handle compliments though, they read sex into everything. These people also normally believe that men and women can't be friends either cuz it'd be seen as there being 'something' in it.... jeez... grow up! :rolleyes:

• Beautiful post :)

why thank you, one does try... :p

• some people (not jeremy1012 I might add, I also believe he was joking) just can't handle compliments though, they read sex into everything. These people also normally believe that men and women can't be friends either cuz it'd be seen as there being 'something' in it.... jeez... grow up! :rolleyes:
    Grow up.... exactly!

I feel sorry for people like that :( it's kinda sad.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Beautiful post : )

:rolleyes:

:p
    wash_ wrote:
    One compliment I gave was that I thought the guy had wicked taste in music.

Silly stuff like that is important to me...good taste in music=certain level of appreciation and emotion.

But it's only good taste to you...music being subjective and all that. :p

And Sian...how can men and women be just friends, when the man is always just thinking up a plan of how to sleep with the woman?! :confused: Oh wait...that's because he isn't.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~