Men! Think back, and answer me this little question -

Comments

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    very easy for me, a few weeks back i was going (still am in a way ) a very self loathing time. out of a job, my gf rocks! i said something to the effect that she would be better off with someone else who can do things for her, and has a good job and future blah blah blah.

she just said in a very sweet voice that melts my heart " but i dont want anybody else baby".

made me feel good.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • you say he's nice, he'll think "uh oh."

there's no reason to think that.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    there's no reason to think that.

there is to a lot of guys who have heard it as the prelude to bad news. i find it odd that a good number of the guys who've been burned agree with me on this, but the women refuse to believe it has any merit. guilty conscience perhaps?
  • there is to a lot of guys who have heard it as the prelude to bad news. i find it odd that a good number of the guys who've been burned agree with me on this, but the women refuse to believe it has any merit. guilty conscience perhaps?

I'm sure it's a prelude to bad news a lot, but it's not always. And even if bad news is following, it's still a positive statement. A lot of people would try to say something positive in a bad situation, men and women. Saying someone is nice is good, not bad. period. If you take that as bad you have a really, really, really HUGE self esteem and paranoia problem, because that's not normal.
    I'm sure it's a prelude to bad news a lot, but it's not always. And even if bad news is following, it's still a positive statement. A lot of people would try to say something positive in a bad situation, men and women. Saying someone is nice is good, not bad. period. If you take that as bad you have a really, really, really HUGE self esteem and paranoia problem, because that's not normal.

saying someone is nice is the most half-hearted, generic compliment out there. it always rings false, even if its true. you know you're killing the person inside, quit trying to sugarcoat it. if you truly cared about them, you'd own it, break it to them like tearing off a bandaid, and then just let them hate you, rather than trying to somehow come out of tearing someone apart like a good guy. it's not truly an effort to make them feel better, it's about making yourself feel better and assauging your guilt over breaking their heart. i know becos ive had it done to me and ive done it to other people. if it's a prelude to bad news, dont fucking say it. just drop the bad news and walk away and accept the fact that they will hate you until they get over it. otherwise you end up with really fucked up and confused people like me and some of my ex-gf's... people who keep asking themselves "if they thought i was so fucking fantastic, why'd they go? they must have been full of shit." quite simple really, and utterly reasonable.

it's got nothing to do with self esteem. im fucked up, sure. im a drug addict. but it's mainly that i can hold onto and nurse a grudge or a resentment for a VERY long time. but im not that abnormal. ask my ex's how they feel about me and what i did to them. all im doing these days is walking a mile (or a few years) in their shoes. it's karma, man.

but we are way off topic. my advice to the OP is still that if she wants to get this guy's attention and drop a compliment that will make him warm to her is to make it something that makes him feel like a stud, not something that makes him feel like her lapdog coworker.
  • id consider you naive for you to contend that a girl who replies to a guy who has poured his heart out to her with "you're a wonderful guy and you'll make some other girl a wonderful husband one day" is "just a compliment." it's a staggering rejection with a weak attempt to soften the blow.

as to the second part, yes i am bitter and cynical. i dont think this comes as news to anyone.

If you really want to read that much into it, you could say she may be jealous and doesn't feel she has a chance with him. :eek: :D

:D

I think you're great soulsinging. You make me think... usually about trivial things but make me think nonetheless. (That wan't an insult...

or a compliment! I'M SO CONFUSED)!
    I think you're great soulsinging. You make me think... usually about trivial things but make me think nonetheless. (That wan't an insult...

or a compliment! I'M SO CONFUSED)!

you're such a mean-spirited bitch, complimenting me without wanting to sleep with me and all! :D
  • ProteusProteus Posts: 166
    einatshaul wrote:
    What was the most flattering thing a woman (any woman) has ever said to you?

"Oh my God it's PERFECT."
    FUEL AND RELEASE!!! happiness is good FOR AN hour... FUEL AND RE-LEASE!!! happines is good FOR an HOU-ER.
    --P. Farrell
  • einatshaul wrote:
    What was the most flattering thing a woman (any woman) has ever said to you?

I'm trying to get an idea of what themes and subject matters stick in a guy's mind after a conversation with a woman... No need to reveal anything too personal, just your honest opinion!

Looking forward to your interesting answers...

Thanks!

I once met a woman who had slept with over 100 men, and she told me I had the biggest balls she had ever seen.

• ProteusProteus Posts: 166
    I once met a woman who had slept with over 100 men, and she told me I had the biggest balls she had ever seen.

Was she an AC/DC fan? Or perhaps more importantly, are you?
    FUEL AND RELEASE!!! happiness is good FOR AN hour... FUEL AND RE-LEASE!!! happines is good FOR an HOU-ER.
    --P. Farrell
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    saying someone is nice is the most half-hearted, generic compliment out there. it always rings false, even if its true. you know you're killing the person inside, quit trying to sugarcoat it. if you truly cared about them, you'd own it, break it to them like tearing off a bandaid, and then just let them hate you, rather than trying to somehow come out of tearing someone apart like a good guy. it's not truly an effort to make them feel better, it's about making yourself feel better and assauging your guilt over breaking their heart.
    I completely agree with you. You are so right with everything you have just said. How often do you hear of people who break up with their partners and then they will call their ex 'just to see how they are going, and if they are ok', They are NOT calling to make sure you are ok. They are calling to see if you think they are an asshole and looking for a massive ego stroke.
  • I've been told that I have dark, deep, mysterious eyes
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    I've been told that I have dark, deep, mysterious eyes

So do serial killers!

Jk...
    einatshaul wrote:
    So do serial killers!

Jk...

there's a compliment to give him... "your eyes are so intense they make me shiver more than ted bundy's!"
  • einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Proteus wrote:
    "Oh my God it's PERFECT."

Can I have your recipe please?
  • did i say i spoke for you? i dont even know what planet you're from.

*ahem*
    for the most part. case in point... the one earlier about how a guy is so sweet and cute and would make a great husband... for someone else. that's fucking shitty. don't tell me that bullshit cos it rings false. if we were so cute and sweet we'd make a great husband for you, but we know you're just placating it and you don't mean it.

You attempted to speak on my behalf and now, now, soulsinging, i'm sure there's no need for insults, it's a very childish thing to do and afterall, we're all friends here...

1. the OP asked guys what girls have said to them that has been touching or memorable, not how great girls think they are for being so generous with compliments to friends.
    and if you ARE just a friend, i dont need or want an awkward compliment from you. if im in a bar with a guy friend and he says "dude, you have the bluest eyes ever" or "you know, your sense of humor really brightens my day" id have to kick his fucking ass. so why would i want/care to hear it from a girl? the compliment is unspoken between friends. we dont feel the need to validate the friendship. so dont bother, it means nothing to us.

YOU mentioned complimenting friends, I was merely continuing the topic...

2. he is your BOYFRIEND. if you said that to a platonic friend you know is interested in you, it's a huge "fuck you" to them, becos you're basically telling them they are ok as a friend, but he's not attractive enough for you to actually date.

...and how do you think me and my boyfriend got together hmm? I'm not posting here because I don't know what i'm talking about. WE-WERE-FRIENDS, I-KNEW-HE-LIKED-ME... :rolleyes: I've certainly never meant anything towards him, as a friend or boyfriend, as "yeah you're nice but not nice enough" or as a big "fuck you"... as you so eloquantly put it. :rolleyes:

3. socially inept? not sure what you mean

social –adjective
    1. pertaining to, devoted to, or characterized by friendly companionship or relations: a social club.
    2. seeking or enjoying the companionship of others; friendly; sociable; gregarious.
    3. of, pertaining to, connected with, or suited to polite or fashionable society: a social event.
    4. living or disposed to live in companionship with others or in a community, rather than in isolation: People are social beings.

inept –adjective
    1. without skill or aptitude for a particular task or assignment; maladroit: He is inept at mechanical tasks. She is inept at dealing with people.
    2. generally awkward or clumsy; haplessly incompetent.
    3. inappropriate; unsuitable; out of place.
    4. absurd or foolish: an inept remark.

4. i am perfectly fine with my emotions too, but i am also conscious of how my words affect others. thus, i try not to fuck with girls that are interested in me by misleading them with comments like "damn, you look good" when there is no chance in hell i will ever get with them.

I do see what you're saying, that feelings should be considered between friends before you pay someone attention, but tell me, you say you're conscious of how your words affect others, so why can't you just discuss the issue? For example, ask questions like: where does it end? should the friendship end? surely you're friends for a reason? is it worth it? etc, etc... I Personally think that it's more to do with the guys way of dealing with rejection or lack thereof, that paying someone a compliment (whatever their mind set towards you) will not necessarily disarrange emotion and that women are not being consciously heartless and throwing in a big "fuck you" (oh, there it is again, literary genius... :rolleyes: ) when they compliment a male friend who may be attracted to them. You see, i'd be more than willing to discuss this with you and possibly even have my mind changed were it not for your abrupt and generalising tone.

I have more of a problem with your approach, soulsinging, as apposed to your point made. Now, grow up a little, realise that talking about women as objects may just offend someone and come back when you'd had an epiphany about speaking on others behalves being rude and conceited.

End of discussion.

And... back on topic....

:cool:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • wash_ wrote:

But, on the whole I find it hard to give compliments...Im going to try and rectify that asap.
    Me too :o although I've been doing pretty well recently but in general... if a friend walks into the room and I'm sitting there thinking 'wow, she looks great today' for some reason I never say it... it's not that I don't wanna say it but I just think it and move on :o and the same girl might tell ME later that I look good and I say 'so do you, you look really well' and it just doesn't seem the same then... kinda like I'm only saying it cos she said it first.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • To answer the original question...

The best compliment my wife has ever given me is that she feels safe and secure when I hold her in my arms. She has told me that has two meanings. The first is obvious with being physically safe. The second is more emotional as in that if she's having a bad day or things are too hectic, a good hug or embrace helps calm her down and helps to make things better. I guess it goes back to some intrinsic male characteristic, but I like being the 'protector' and taking care of my wife. Plus, it's always nice to have a quick way of calming her when somethings the matter.

That's not to say that she doesn't compliment me about my looks, personality, etc...I just think that one is the best.
    Awww... it really is a fantastic feeling though to feel so safe in somebodys arms... like the world outside your little bubble doesn't matter and nothing can break it :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • cool. we can go to therapy together
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :):) finally you two are gonna get it on :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:
    I completely agree with you. You are so right with everything you have just said. How often do you hear of people who break up with their partners and then they will call their ex 'just to see how they are going, and if they are ok', They are NOT calling to make sure you are ok. They are calling to see if you think they are an asshole and looking for a massive ego stroke.
    That's completely untrue. My ex took our breakup pretty badly and I was genuinely concerned for him!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • wash_ wrote:
    No, it's not the only I thing I go on!

I meant that an appreciation for music (key to the soul) is important. If someone doesn't understand the emotional complexities that music affords then I don't know if they would be as understanding/appreciative as someone who is in touch with all that. Having said that there might be others ways that people are in touch with emotions, just for me, its music.

But, on the whole I find it hard to give compliments...Im going to try and rectify that asap.

Oh no hunny! I didn't mean that you did!

I also respect an appreciation for music but music is very personal to me. It can prove for a better understanding between two people but i'm just saying that it's not the be all and end all, just a bonus. I believe that if you connect with a person on a non superficial (for want of a better word) level then the rest will follow. I also relate emotion with music and connect people to songs but i'm just saying it's not the first thing I consider when being attracted to someone :D
    (although, a like/love/obsession with PJ does help in the long run... it's easier than arguing about it! :p)

As for compliments, I give them very easily but don't take them very well, I get really embarrassed - I am getting better of late though. I'd much rather put a smile on someone else's face and make their day :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Pj_Gurl wrote:

Again, I agree with Helen. This is completely untrue. I call and see my ex all the time because we're friends. He has a great life now as do I. We've known each other 8 years and shared everything for 6 of those so why shouldn't we? I for one, can't just switch off like that... life's too short for cheap ego boosts.

• wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    Me too :o although I've been doing pretty well recently but in general... if a friend walks into the room and I'm sitting there thinking 'wow, she looks great today' for some reason I never say it... it's not that I don't wanna say it but I just think it and move on :o and the same girl might tell ME later that I look good and I say 'so do you, you look really well' and it just doesn't seem the same then... kinda like I'm only saying it cos she said it first.

Im excatly like that aswell. I think, for me it's because it's not really a big deal to say that they look nice. But, then when I dont say it I realise that I should and it would make them feel good but by then it's too late!

But this is good...coz now i'm aware of it, I can change!
    Ta daaaa...message pit comes good once more!! :)
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    I get compliments quite often through my line of work, whether it's respect from colleagues, recognition from the boss, or expressions of gratitude from my clients. Well, considering how bloody hard the job is, and the comparatively ordinary pay scale, I better get some heartfelt thanks!

But I see these expressions as thing I should get just by doing the job right, and it happens so regularly I don't really react to these anymore. Besides, I TRY really hard to keep my life separate from my work, and don't let too many feelings, be it positive or negative, hang around with me once I get out of the office.

The compliments I get outside of the work environment are the ones that touch me deeply. It can be just a small little thing, but if it's about some aspect of me that isn't particularly related to my work, I'll just melt.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • wash_ wrote:

Good philosophy :)

• Hinny wrote:
    I get compliments quite often through my line of work, whether it's respect from colleagues, recognition from the boss, or expressions of gratitude from my clients. Well, considering how bloody hard the job is, and the comparatively ordinary pay scale, I better get some heartfelt thanks!

But I see these expressions as thing I should get just by doing the job right, and it happens so regularly I don't really react to these anymore. Besides, I TRY really hard to keep my life separate from my work, and don't let too many feelings, be it positive or negative, hang around with me once I get out of the office.

The compliments I get outside of the work environment are the ones that touch me deeply. It can be just a small little thing, but if it's about some aspect of me that isn't particularly related to my work, I'll just melt.

whats the nicest thing a woman's ever said to you outside of work then Hinn? :)

• wash_ wrote:
    Im excatly like that aswell. I think, for me it's because it's not really a big deal to say that they look nice. But, then when I dont say it I realise that I should and it would make them feel good but by then it's too late!

Ta daaaa...message pit comes good once more!! :)
    :) well in fairness, I think I told you your hair looked nice the last time... it probably took me about two days to say it :D but yeh, I'm definitely gonna have to change this. I'm not the kind who NEEDS compliments cos I know I always look great :D *laughs hysterically for about ten minutes* but it's always nice to know someone else thinks you look great too.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    whats the nicest thing a woman's ever said to you outside of work then Hinn? :)
    There's a few.

A friend told me his wife cried when she found out I'd only be visiting them for a few days.

It didn't make me feel particularly good at the time, but in hindsight... I'm just sooooooo flattered that people could feel that way about me.
  • Hinny wrote:

:) I think any sort of human interaction outside of work, particularly from strangers, is touching. When someone takes a split second outside of their 'busy' :rolleyes: schedule to smile at you or hold a door open or something, it always puts a smile on my face and reminds me that people ARE human after all.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    :) I think any sort of human interaction outside of work, particularly from strangers, is touching.
    Yeah, I guess I just think my work circumstances are a bit exaggerated since things get seriously personal, emotional, depressive, and all those crappy things and I have these moments when strangers thank me in tears and it's gone to the point where yeah it's nice but you're still a stranger and I'm doing my work so thanks. Now see ya so I can get away from the office already!