Boston Red Sox

Comments

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Beckett being Beckett. Nice writeup by Gordon Edes: http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/i ... ust-get-it
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    Beckett being Beckett. Nice writeup by Gordon Edes: http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/i ... ust-get-it

"We get 18 off days a year," he said. "I think we deserve a little time to ourselves."

:lol::lol::lol:
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    i don't think he articulated it well, but to be a pitcher who is expected to be really good at one thing for 2-3 hours once every 5 days you have to make your own routine, go to a place that gives you peace, etc. if all you care for is performance then what he said shouldn't matter given that he has been a pretty good pitcher in the past (WS MVP twice right?).
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    LloydXmas wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:

"We get 18 off days a year," he said. "I think we deserve a little time to ourselves."

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

Along with 4 or 5 months....

I think it just shows he's a jackass and doesn't really give a shit. If you're not pitching, you shouldn't be playing golf, simple as that, especially when it's a muscle injury.
    RW81233 wrote:
    i don't think he articulated it well, but to be a pitcher who is expected to be really good at one thing for 2-3 hours once every 5 days you have to make your own routine, go to a place that gives you peace, etc. if all you care for is performance then what he said shouldn't matter given that he has been a pretty good pitcher in the past (WS MVP twice right?).

I agree, but his start was skipped because of an injury, a muscle injury that could be reaggravated playing golf. If he could swing a golf club at full force 70+ time, why isn't he pitching
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    I'd agree with you if the injured muscle was effected by swing a golf club..it is a different motion so who knows. It is also possible that Becket has packed it in for the year too since the Sox are so horrible.
    RW81233 wrote:
    I'd agree with you if the injured muscle was effected by swing a golf club..it is a different motion so who knows. It is also possible that Becket has packed it in for the year too since the Sox are so horrible.

It was his lat that was sore, so yeah, it is effected by a golf swing. I wouldn't doubt that either. He's a jackass.
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    Honestly, if I were a Sox fan, Beckett would be my biggest worry about the team. He's not a good teammate because good teammates don't risk their health over doing what they want to do on an off day during the season. The team was concerned enough about his muscle that they decided to skip a start and he turns around and goes and plays golf. If it's that important to go to the golf course, at least be smart enough and committed enough to the team to just putt instead of playing 18 holes. The guy couldn't even be bothered enough to stay in the dugout last year when he wasn't pitching. Regardless of his talent, the team would be better off trading him. He acts like he thinks he's the greatest pitcher who ever stepped on the field but he's had as many seasons with an ERA over 4.00 as he's had seasons with it under 4.00 since going to Boston (including 2 seasons with an ERA over 5.00, not counting this season).
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    how do people root for these ass-clowns :?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    adam42381 wrote:

Wow.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    I feel bad for Bobby Valentine. Its pretty obvious the direction this was all going in.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I feel bad for Bobby Valentine. Its pretty obvious the direction this was all going in.
    They probably fire him mid season right??? :fp:
    LloydXmas wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    They probably fire him mid season right??? :fp:

its easier than trying to replace the roster..... but eventually they will have to address that.
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    MayDay10 wrote:

The Sox biggest mistake was not cleaning house when they had the chance in the offseason. They should've moved Beckett, Youkilis and Ellsbury who they probably won't be able to resign due to bad contracts handed out by the boy wonder.
    MayDay10 wrote:

The Sox biggest mistake was not cleaning house when they had the chance in the offseason. They should've moved Beckett, Youkilis and Ellsbury who they probably won't be able to resign due to bad contracts handed out by the boy wonder.

If Youkilis can get healthy, he's good as gone at the deadline. Backett has 10 and 5 rights.
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    I don't think the 10&5 would've precluded a trade, after last season I'm sure he wants to get the hell out of Boston.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    F Beckett
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Maybe he would want out.

Its bad now, but if this path continues, itll get worse... as will the monitoring of how he spends his "free time".
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    I don't think the 10&5 would've precluded a trade, after last season I'm sure he wants to get the hell out of Boston.

I think they're stuck with him because he's being paid a ton of money for inconsistent results, his reputation is horrible when it comes to his commitment to the team, and he'd never agree to a trade unless it was to a contender--and I don't think too many contenders would line up to pay his salary plus give up either a top prospect or star player knowing that he's going to put himself before the team and have as much of a chance of being awful as he does of being great.
    4 in a row built on strong starting pitching. Lester looked like an ace tonight. If the Texas Tough Guy can rebound tomorrow it'll make once through the rotation with good starts. Something to build on. After tomorrow's game, we have a stretch of 8 of 11 games against Tampa and Baltimore. Hopefully we can make up some ground. I'm not giving up on this team, as so many of my buddies have already. I think strong starting pitching and 3 solid months with Ellsbury and Crawford in the lineup will keep us winning.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Honoring #49 right now. Very cool. Thanks Wake. You will be missed.

edit: They got Charlie Hough, Mike Timlin and Wake's high school coach there. Classy move.

edit: They got Charlie Hough, Mike Timlin and Wake's high school coach there. Classy move.

As much as I cringe when I say this given what's going on the past 6 months or so, also a classy move replacing Lowes' ring and giving it to him personally.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

As much as I cringe when I say this given what's going on the past 6 months or so, also a classy move replacing Lowes' ring and giving it to him personally.
    Ortiz just came out and was getting emotional talking about how much he loves Wake. Amazing stuff.
    This is ridiculous. They have some singer out there now with all of the kids Wake has helped through his foundation walking out of center field. He's balling right now.
    This just keeps getting better and better. Doug Mirabelli comes onto the field in a Boston police cruiser to catch Wake's ceremonial first pitch. Hahahaha
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    It's a loooonnngggg way to the top but little by little the Sox WILL get there.

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    nice little weekend on tap down here, eh fellows?
    www.myspace.com
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I missed the Wakefield stuff yesterday. Any links?
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    how do people root for these ass-clowns :?

Comin from the guy that cheers for Arod.