Boston Red Sox

adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,474
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Just wanting to see how many Sox fans we have here. Please feel free to give your thoughts on the '06 season as it progresses. I have but 2 things to say right now: Glad Papelbon got his spring kinks worked out and trade David Wells ASAP!
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    trade dave to the padres.......
  • Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    icarus wrote:
    rough start by clement last night, hoping manny improves soon
    Manny will snap tonight, you'll see.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • THCTHC Posts: 525
    I've got to say....Big Papi must like you guys....cause you just signed him for a BARGAIN..... Damn.
    “Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish can grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”
    -Big Fish
  • adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,474
    Trading Wells opens up a hole in the rotation. Roger Clemens is still available and would fill a hole pretty nicely. Hmmm...something to ponder.
    THC wrote:
    I've got to say....Big Papi must like you guys....cause you just signed him for a BARGAIN..... Damn.

I think it was Lowell or Gonzalez that said something to the effect of it being amazing to see the 40,000 Boston fans standing in the first inning when the pitcher has two strikes on the batter ON OPENING DAY. We love and understand the game in this town and Ortiz knows that. He has already acheived Ted Williams status (Ortiz practically won the 2004 series himself - honorable mention Mark Behlorn..his homers were HUGE).
  • eXploiteXploit Posts: 17
    Wells did have a rough start, but I'm willing to give him another shot, he was a 15 game winner last season. Hell Wakefield had a bad start in his first game againts Texas, but he turned in around in the next game. However if Wells is as bad in his next start I think we have some serious issues that need to be dealth with.
    As for a hole in the rotation, I'm not so sure about that, I mean if we have to we can always make Papelbon a starter, although that would leave us with an unknown "shut em down" closer as Folke doesn't seem to be back to where he was in 2004 just yet.
    Schilling is looking good and what about my boy Papelbon! Keep the wins coming. Coco and Trot will be healthy soon enough. If the rotation keeps it up and Foulke stays in the pen as a setup guy, we're gonna be tough.
    eXploit wrote:
    Wells did have a rough start, but I'm willing to give him another shot, he was a 15 game winner last season. Hell Wakefield had a bad start in his first game againts Texas, but he turned in around in the next game. However if Wells is as bad in his next start I think we have some serious issues that need to be dealth with.
    As for a hole in the rotation, I'm not so sure about that, I mean if we have to we can always make Papelbon a starter, although that would leave us with an unknown "shut em down" closer as Folke doesn't seem to be back to where he was in 2004 just yet.

Im not willing to give Wells much of a shot, and as evidenced by the early boos a couple nights ago, neither are the fans. He's a whiner who's miserable in Boston, and doesn't care when he doesn't pitch well, unlike Schilling or Beckett who are competitors, and to whom the game actually means something. Wells ought to shape up or ship his fat ass out.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,823
    adam42381 wrote:
    Trading Wells opens up a hole in the rotation. Roger Clemens is still available and would fill a hole pretty nicely. Hmmm...something to ponder.

Or if Clemens isnt available, Dontrelle Willis could soon be on the trading block, as the Marlins complete the demolition of their team. He'd be pretty sweet too in a Sox uniform.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • marc34marc34 Boston MA Posts: 221
    They will be fine, its a long season....and they jumped out of the gates hott...There rotation is probably the best in basesball, Pap is great coming from the pen...Hopefully Folke will start to get confidence and be back to his old self....be patient, we have months
    Hartford 96
    Mansfield 98 x 2
    Mansfield 00 x2
    Mansfield 03 x 3
    Boston 04 VFC x 2
    Hartford 06
    Boston 06 x 2
    Hartford 08
    Mansfield 08 x 2
    EV Boston 08 x 2
    Hartford 10
    Boston 10
    EV Providence 11
    EV Boston 11
    EV Hartford 11
    Worcester 13 x 2
    Hartford 13
    Buffalo 13
    Baltimore 13
    Fenway 2016 x 2
    Hot Stove 2017
    Fenway 2018 x 2
  • I think we should have traded Wells for Willy Mo, he wants out and Bronson had Red Sox blood pumping through his veins like almost nobody before him. He loved it here and I think he will do way better than the Hefty Lefty will. It's taking a while for me to get used to this new infield, Loretta was an excellent pick up, Lowell is a great defender but I'm still not convinced of his bat, although his hot streak of late is wonderfull I don't see him keeping it up, and Gonzalez is OUTSTANDING at short defensively, he just needs to get his bat in order, which he has struggled to do for the past couple of years. But where you lose a bat you get some defense, a run saved is just as good as a run scored. Plus we've got great depth off the bench, Willy Mo, Cora, Stern, J.T. Snow, those guys are great. As far as pitching goes, if Schilling and Becket keep it up they are gonna win at least 40 games between them and Wakefield is going to be Wakefield, the guy is a work horse and is gonna prob go for 15 wins again, Clement def. has potential to win 15 games as well, as long as he can find his rythm and start picking is spots. David Wells, I have never liked from day 1, but whatever, I obviously want him to win games, but I think we should get rid of him. Our young pitchers give me MAD CRAZY hope for the years to come. Lester, DiNardo, and what Papelbon is doing clearly speaks for itself. Foulke is kind of a question mark, but I have faith and Timlin is still gonna be a rock on the mound in the middle/late innings. I think we will see big things from Trot this year, and Coco Crisp is gonna make people forget about Johnny Damon and his poor throwing arm and old age. Honestly, I couldn't be more happy with our centerfield situation, at first I was pissed but now I am seeing the light and it is beautiful....... and of course when the game is on the line I dare you to pitch to Big Papi.... I dare you..... go ahead..... see what that gets you..... oh yeah a notch in the loss column
    I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
    francona blew today's game for them by starting ALEX FUCKING CORA at 2B, and also benching Mike Lowell. These guys dont need fucking rest- Tejada plays 162 games a year, its 11 games into the season. They didnt score any runs today because they had Bard, Cora, and Snow in a lineup. Pathetic. Francona is a horrible manager. Cora has no business starting a game, especially this quickly in the season- hes a utility player. Weve been struggling for runs lately and benching your offense isnt the way to remedy it.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
    Or if Clemens isnt available, Dontrelle Willis could soon be on the trading block, as the Marlins complete the demolition of their team. He'd be pretty sweet too in a Sox uniform.

I would love to see them work a deal for D-Train and Miguel Cabrera. That would be amazing. Cabrera is a young stud that will only get better with time. Willis would be a good addition as well. We need a solid lefty starter.
    I think we should have traded Wells for Willy Mo, he wants out and Bronson had Red Sox blood pumping through his veins like almost nobody before him. He loved it here and I think he will do way better than the Hefty Lefty will. It's taking a while for me to get used to this new infield, Loretta was an excellent pick up, Lowell is a great defender but I'm still not convinced of his bat, although his hot streak of late is wonderfull I don't see him keeping it up, and Gonzalez is OUTSTANDING at short defensively, he just needs to get his bat in order, which he has struggled to do for the past couple of years. But where you lose a bat you get some defense, a run saved is just as good as a run scored. Plus we've got great depth off the bench, Willy Mo, Cora, Stern, J.T. Snow, those guys are great. As far as pitching goes, if Schilling and Becket keep it up they are gonna win at least 40 games between them and Wakefield is going to be Wakefield, the guy is a work horse and is gonna prob go for 15 wins again, Clement def. has potential to win 15 games as well, as long as he can find his rythm and start picking is spots. David Wells, I have never liked from day 1, but whatever, I obviously want him to win games, but I think we should get rid of him. Our young pitchers give me MAD CRAZY hope for the years to come. Lester, DiNardo, and what Papelbon is doing clearly speaks for itself. Foulke is kind of a question mark, but I have faith and Timlin is still gonna be a rock on the mound in the middle/late innings. I think we will see big things from Trot this year, and Coco Crisp is gonna make people forget about Johnny Damon and his poor throwing arm and old age. Honestly, I couldn't be more happy with our centerfield situation, at first I was pissed but now I am seeing the light and it is beautiful....... and of course when the game is on the line I dare you to pitch to Big Papi.... I dare you..... go ahead..... see what that gets you..... oh yeah a notch in the loss column

First, there's no way the Reds would have made the deal for Wells. They were looking for a fairly young rubber arm that will be around for a while. Wells is winding down his career. I like all the other moves that were made. Bronson was a gamer but I think Theo likes Wily Mo's offensive up-side. I too like Coco in center but to say that he'll make us forget about Damon is a bit of a stretch. His throwing arm may actually be worse than Johnny's. I watched Coco several times during spring training and he can't throw at all. Between innings he would play catch with Trot and couldn't even get the ball to him and he can't get the ball to second from the warning track either. Pretty bad arm but great defense otherwise. I think we're in good shape for the season as long as Tito doesn't keep tinkering with the lineup and giving guys rest after only 11 games.
  • I don't really think we will literally forget about Damon, the guy was an icon and was completely indispensible to the 2004 team, I just meant that Coco will make people generally feel o.k. with the fact that we don't have Damon. And in all actually I know the Reds would never have traded for Wells, I was just venting cause I don't like him, I should have made that a little more clear. This early in the season I don't think it is necessarily "giving the guys a rest" strategy that Tito is taking, he has a new bunch of guys in the infield and I think he is just trying to figure out who works well with who and so on, and the only way to know that is to try it. I have faith in Tito, he made some great decisions during the World Series run, granted he made some iffy ones too, but the guy realizes that you have to take chances, and if he is going to experiment I would much rather have it be early on in the year rather than in Sept. when the playoff race is really heating up. As far as Bard catching today, that is going to happen so I'd get used to seeing it, we've seen in the past that V-tek has trouble when catching Wake.
    I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
    I don't really think we will literally forget about Damon, the guy was an icon and was completely indispensible to the 2004 team, I just meant that Coco will make people generally feel o.k. with the fact that we don't have Damon. And in all actually I know the Reds would never have traded for Wells, I was just venting cause I don't like him, I should have made that a little more clear. This early in the season I don't think it is necessarily "giving the guys a rest" strategy that Tito is taking, he has a new bunch of guys in the infield and I think he is just trying to figure out who works well with who and so on, and the only way to know that is to try it. I have faith in Tito, he made some great decisions during the World Series run, granted he made some iffy ones too, but the guy realizes that you have to take chances, and if he is going to experiment I would much rather have it be early on in the year rather than in Sept. when the playoff race is really heating up. As far as Bard catching today, that is going to happen so I'd get used to seeing it, we've seen in the past that V-tek has trouble when catching Wake.

the thing is though, it IS the giving guys a rest strategy. he said so himself in an interview before the game. we all know that alex cora and jt snow arent going to be starters, so theres no need to test out who should be playing where. loretta is a gold-glove quality infielder whos made the all star team, he shouldnt be benched, period, especially early in the season. and where was he to pinch hit with two on, cora up to bat in the 7th inning with two outs, when cora was already 0 for 3? Its little dumb things like this that tito should take the heat for. hes made some great moves maybe, but things like this make no sense to me. cora wont be starting, so it isnt finding a players place. he said he was resting players, and i just dont buy it this early in the season. the team is in a power outage, we dont need any more assistance from francona.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • ReeenkRoinkReeenkRoink Posts: 108
    icarus wrote:
    whats the point of having wakefield if no one can catch him?

haha Dougie Bombs could catch him!!!
    I'd like to see a move to get Mirabelli back from the Padres. He was a fan favorite and could catch Wakefield better than anybody else. Not sure what we'd have to give up for him though. Maybe Wells? (wishful thinking)
    Beckett is sure looking good so far. Ran it up to 3-0 today and Papelbon gets another save. Just wait until the hitting kicks in!
    I guess I'm going to just let this thread fade away due to lack of interest. I really thought there would be some Red Sox fans on here.
    Seems that the thread isn't dead after all. Good to see some life here guys. Now, let's keep this thing going, ok? Hell of a game today from what I saw of the highlights. http://www.bostondirtdogs.com/
  • the red sox are and will continue to kick ass this year. The pitching is outstanding for the most part, 5-0 in 1 run games, papelbon has in 7 innings pitched only given up 2 hits and has not walked anyone or given up a run. Beckett and Schilling (if they continue to stay healthy) will easily surpass 20 wins. Just need the offense to pick it up some more but im sure they will since Manny will come out of his slump soon and Nixon and Crisp were both out with injuries. Anyways, White Sox fans, we're taking the title back this year, sorry.
  • dirt dogs is a great site, keeps all the info and sites with articles organized, its set as my home page
  • brainofjbbrainofjb Boston Posts: 381
    adam42381 wrote:
    Beckett is sure looking good so far. Ran it up to 3-0 today and Papelbon gets another save. Just wait until the hitting kicks in!

omg! beckett, papelbon and schilling look out for these guys

not alot of pitchers start a season this good!!!!

lets hope this team stays healthy
    we look real good!!!!
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
    Anybody know of a good Sox message board besided SoSH? They won't let me join.
  • adam42381 wrote:
    Anybody know of a good Sox message board besided SoSH? They won't let me join.

Eh fuck sport message boards. Most of the time you get the type of fan who doesn't know what he's talking about on them and they just start saying things without using any facts or thoughtful insight to back what they said up

That being said, though their are a few bumps, our pitching staff kicks ass
  • it'll be a tough race in the AL this year but I really think the Sox can win it all as long as the offense picks up just a little bit and clement can keep it together

Can you imagine next years rotation? Schilling, Beckett, Lester, Papelbon
    Closer - Craig Hansen

Makes me wanna cream myself
  • Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    the lineup sucks. thank god nixon is back and that we have good pitching. we desperately need crisp back.