Boston Red Sox

Comments

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Lets keep this winning thing going into Chi town. I'm starting to feel this team might be turning around.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Starting to show some fight.
    Not dead yet.
    Hope all you fantasy people took my advice and picked up Cody Ross.
    Hope all you fantasy people took my advice and picked up Cody Ross.
    I did. Had to replace Jacoby.

Keep that winning going. 1st place by May 15th.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    Sox play a Saturday night game against the other color Sox :lol: Lets keep this wheel a spinning.
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
    Here's a question for Red Sox fans.

OK I guess any one else that likes baseball can chime in too. Yes even those horrible yankee fans :x

Here's the question. Since we are playing the White Sox tonight it got me thinking.

Do you think Robin Ventura would of made a better manager for the Red Sox than Bobby V ?
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    dwhite76 wrote:

OK I guess any one else that likes baseball can chime in too. Yes even those horrible yankee fans :x

Here's the question. Since we are playing the White Sox tonight it got me thinking.

Do you think Robin Ventura would of made a better manager for the Red Sox than Bobby V ?

Ventura had no experience so they wouldn't have given him an chance.
    Usually the only times a team with give a guy with no experience is if he has ties with that team.
    Ventura and Matheny both got jobs this way.
    Bobby V is starting to settle down a little. Winning games helps.
    .500 after 20 games is pretty darn good from where we started.
    One more win for a perfect road trip. And we got Joshy on the mound today in the finale. Win today and we come back home for Oakland and Balty. Keep this thing going guys!
    dwhite76 wrote:

Ventura had no experience so they wouldn't have given him an chance.
    Usually the only times a team with give a guy with no experience is if he has ties with that team.
    Ventura and Matheny both got jobs this way.
    Bobby V is starting to settle down a little. Winning games helps.
    .500 after 20 games is pretty darn good from where we started.

I get what your saying. Dont forget about Mike Matheny from the St.Louis Cardinals.

The reason I asked the question was to see if the fans would rather gone with a guy with no MLB managerial experience. Or take a guy whos been around but hasnt been a winner in the MLB.

Bobby V is a .500 manager over his 2,200+ games maneging in the MLB. I know I could manege the Red Sox to a .500 winning percentage. So with them being 10-10 at this point even though it started bad dont mean its any good :shock:

Personally I would have taken any one who I thought would win us a World Series ring at the end of the season. I dont care if they maneged before or not.

So my answer to my own question is Yes I would have taken Ventura over Bobby V. Shoot My first choice would of been Dave Sveum.

Sveum has ties to Boston (2004-2005) We all know who stole him away from us. Theo Epstein and Eddie Vedder :lol:
    How quiet all the shit talkers are on this thread when we're winning...

What a play by Pedroia in the 8th last night to get out of the jam.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717

:lol:

I actually haven't watched you guys play in a week or so. Can only beat who you play but not the most difficult part of your schedule. Beating the teams you're supposed to beat though, all you gotta do.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I actually haven't watched you guys play in a week or so. Can only beat who you play but not the most difficult part of your schedule. Beating the teams you're supposed to beat though, all you gotta do.
    They've looked shockingly good lately. Winning 1-0 in a pitching duel this weekend. They're also winning with offense. I couldn't believe it that Ryan Sweeney has 14 doubles in limited play this season. Sweeney, Darnell (who had a homer last night) and Cody Ross have picked up the slack for Jacoby and Crawford.

Can't believe I'm writing this, but Dice K apparently looked real good in his rehab assignment and I think will play a big role on this team in the dog days of summer. I just really hope they don't rush him too much. Could see DiceK winning 10 games in the last 4 months of the season.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

They've looked shockingly good lately. Winning 1-0 in a pitching duel this weekend. They're also winning with offense. I couldn't believe it that Ryan Sweeney has 14 doubles in limited play this season. Sweeney, Darnell (who had a homer last night) and Cody Ross have picked up the slack for Jacoby and Crawford.

Can't believe I'm writing this, but Dice K apparently looked real good in his rehab assignment and I think will play a big role on this team in the dog days of summer. I just really hope they don't rush him too much. Could see DiceK winning 10 games in the last 4 months of the season.

Word. You may want to stop making predictions about players making an impact though. It seems like everytime you say Crawford is going to have a big year, he has a setback.
    Yeah, I'm shutting up about him til July. I'm sure by this weekend I'll have something to bitch about with this team and our amazing manager, but for now I'm happy.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    We suck. Fire Bobby V. Moving on...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    We suck. Fire Bobby V. Moving on...

The Rede Sox can't win the pennant in May but that was the worse deal so far to sign crawford to that contract. The Pressures of playing in Boston.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Last night was brutal. #FireBobbyV should have been trending on Twitter.
    Carl Beane died today.

RIP
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Wow. So sad.

Carl Beane, the public address announcer at Fenway Park since 2003, was killed in a single car crash in Sturbridge on Wednesday.

Beane, 59, was pronounced dead at Harrington Hospital in Southbridge shortly after the crash. Officers were alerted to the crash on Holland Street at around 12:40 on Wednesday afternoon by golfers at Hemlock Ridge Golf Course, which is located close to the scene of the accident.

Beane, a native of Agawam, began his broadcasting career in 1972.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21198016/sox-pa-announcer-killed-car-crash
    Not familiar with the guy or his voice but that's terrible. Way too young. Sorry guys.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Newch91 wrote:
    Carl Beane died today.

RIP

Good voice. So sad. :(
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Newch91 wrote:
    Carl Beane died today.

RIP

Terrible news, my condolences to sox fans on here.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,785
    :( just saw this on ESPN
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • PJ88PJ88 Posts: 1,074
    :( just saw this on ESPN

Same here. Crazy.
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    A heart attack while driving is a pretty awful way to go out. It's a good thing nobody else was hurt. It's a shame that he had to die a such a relatively young age.
    I wonder how Beckett's golf game is this year. I won't ask what his handicap is, though, because I think most people already know the answer.
    I wonder how Beckett's golf game is this year. I won't ask what his handicap is, though, because I think most people already know the answer.
    Well played.
    Wow. So sad.

Carl Beane, the public address announcer at Fenway Park since 2003, was killed in a single car crash in Sturbridge on Wednesday.

Beane, 59, was pronounced dead at Harrington Hospital in Southbridge shortly after the crash. Officers were alerted to the crash on Holland Street at around 12:40 on Wednesday afternoon by golfers at Hemlock Ridge Golf Course, which is located close to the scene of the accident.

Beane, a native of Agawam, began his broadcasting career in 1972.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21198016/sox-pa-announcer-killed-car-crash

one of my sportsticker friends in boston wrote this great tribute:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseb ... enway-park
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Beckett really is an ass. He can't be that clueless that he doesn't see why it's a problem to play golf a day after your team announced that they were skipping your start due to a tight lat muscle.

From the AP recap of his disater of a start last night:
    Beckett was unrepentant about his golf outing, saying what he does on his day off is his business. But what he failed to understand, it seemed, was that fans were upset about him golfing when he was supposedly too sore to pitch rather than about him simply hitting the links on a normal off day.

Later in the article:
    In his postgame interview, Beckett grew more terse each time his golf outing was mentioned.

"We get 18 off days a year," he said. "I think we deserve a little bit of time to ourselves."
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseba ... =hp_t2_a12

When your team is paying you around $15 million to pitch and they're worried because you reported tightness in your lat muscle and decide to rest you to avoid making it worse, maybe you should consider not spending that off day playing a sport that involves swinging a club and trying to hit a ball as far as you can. "I spend my off days the way I want to spend them." That's all well and good, but you better not pitch like crap if that's your attitude because the fans will boo you like they did last night.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    meltdown in beantown

maybe this is why theo decided it would be better to work for a team with no talent :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    pitchers are weird, they need to be to do well (or in Beckett's case poorly)...if I were a Sox fan this would be the least of my worries.