Boston Red Sox

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    g under p wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    When do red sox fans start contributing to this thread?

For me even though the Sox are #1 there's other things going on at the moment like Boston College just winning the 2012 NCAA Hockey championships and now the BRUINS are on to defend their 2011 Stanley Cup Championship. Celtics are going to give it their ALL so for me the Sox are on the backburner till some of these other winning teams finish up.

There's all year to bring dialogue on the Sox and anything else baseball. You do a fantastic job of moving along the Yankee thread. The Sox thread will thrive just fine patience my friend, patience 100+ games to go and it will be a long hot summer.

For the first time ever I'm picking the Yanks to win it all, HAPPY NOW! :corn:

Peace

Let me add I'm not as confident as i was at the start of last year and we now know how that turned out last year. :(

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, Fenway, I have clients in Weston. Heading there on wednesday and taking our clients to the game. Will be my first time in your Little stadium. Seeing the giants in San Fran on Monday then going to Fenway on Wednesday, good start to my baseball season.

Fenway is cool I will admit. It definately has an old time feeling to it which is awesome. Something that is lost in the new Yankee Arena...and yes I called it arena. I think the new Stadium sucks.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, Fenway, I have clients in Weston. Heading there on wednesday and taking our clients to the game. Will be my first time in your Little stadium. Seeing the giants in San Fran on Monday then going to Fenway on Wednesday, good start to my baseball season.

Fenway is cool I will admit. It definately has an old time feeling to it which is awesome. Something that is lost in the new Yankee Arena...and yes I called it arena. I think the new Stadium sucks.
    it sure does have an old-time feeling, with the widened concourses, the budweiser beer deck, seats on the monstah, state street pavillion, etc., etc. - pretend old school with very little different than Camden Yards really. Not surprising since the reno people are the same that designed camden. whatevs though it has its charm.
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    Fenway is a great stadium. I've never been able to see a game there, but I did take a stadium tour when I was looking at colleges. I toured BU and BC and my dad was going to get us tickets to a game but the Orioles were in town so the games were sold out (it was 1995 and Ripken was approaching Gehrig's record). The tour was cool, though. They finished it up by having us go on the field and walk around it along the warning track so I got a player's view of the Monster. I never realized it was covered in so many dents until then. I'd definitely suggest taking the tour if you've never done it. Also, they led us from the field into a gift shop, so I decided to replace my fitted Yankees cap. The lady behind the counter was not too happy with me, especially since it took me 3 tries to get the right size.
    RW81233 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

it sure does have an old-time feeling, with the widened concourses, the budweiser beer deck, seats on the monstah, state street pavillion, etc., etc. - pretend old school with very little different than Camden Yards really. Not surprising since the reno people are the same that designed camden. whatevs though it has its charm.

It's evolution. The new Yankee Arena is an abortion.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Fenway is a great stadium. I've never been able to see a game there, but I did take a stadium tour when I was looking at colleges. I toured BU and BC and my dad was going to get us tickets to a game but the Orioles were in town so the games were sold out (it was 1995 and Ripken was approaching Gehrig's record). The tour was cool, though. They finished it up by having us go on the field and walk around it along the warning track so I got a player's view of the Monster. I never realized it was covered in so many dents until then. I'd definitely suggest taking the tour if you've never done it. Also, they led us from the field into a gift shop, so I decided to replace my fitted Yankees cap. The lady behind the counter was not too happy with me, especially since it took me 3 tries to get the right size.

Others think diferently of the fabled Fenway Park.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bg3RW?utm_ ... on-red-sox

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hear you. I miss the old place but I do like the new stadium. There are certainly things I don't like about it, but overall I think they did a good job with it. I don't like how far away from the field the upper level feels though. Wish it was closer like the old place. I get why people don't like it though.
    g under p wrote:

Others think diferently of the fabled Fenway Park.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bg3RW?utm_ ... on-red-sox

peace

Funny hearing the Yankees fans here praise it, I always thought of it as a dump, having never been there.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hear you. I miss the old place but I do like the new stadium. There are certainly things I don't like about it, but overall I think they did a good job with it. I don't like how far away from the field the upper level feels though. Wish it was closer like the old place. I get why people don't like it though.

I just really miss the old Stadium. The nine million coats of paint of the concourse. The way despite what weather it was outside the walls were always wet. :lol: The old Monumnet Park. The old wall where you could see how enormous left center used to be. Meeting up with people at "the bat" outside. Also, I did the nasty in the old Stadium so it's like a piece of me died with it gone. :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:

I just really miss the old Stadium. The nine million coats of paint of the concourse. The way despite what weather it was outside the walls were always wet. :lol: The old Monumnet Park. The old wall where you could see how enormous left center used to be. Meeting up with people at "the bat" outside. Also, I did the nasty in the old Stadium so it's like a piece of me died with it gone. :lol:

Ha, that's awesome. That place also always smelled like hotdogs and not in a good way. haha. I hear you man. I do miss that place a lot. I miss how the upper deck was on top of the field. My first couple years out of college me and my buddies had the saturday pacakge and my friend had a place on the upper west side with a rooftop deck. So many great weekends.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Ha, that's awesome. That place also always smelled like hotdogs and not in a good way. haha. I hear you man. I do miss that place a lot. I miss how the upper deck was on top of the field. My first couple years out of college me and my buddies had the saturday pacakge and my friend had a place on the upper west side with a rooftop deck. So many great weekends.

It is eerie when I'm at the new place how similiar it is but different. :? I also miss the the court house sitting above the outfield wall. yankeestadium20courthouse20view.jpg?w=400&h=300

That thing they have in centerfield now where the black seats should be should be blown up! :lol:

I also like that the Red Sox thread is being taken over by Yankee talk! :lol::lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

It is eerie when I'm at the new place how similiar it is but different. :? I also miss the the court house sitting above the outfield wall. yankeestadium20courthouse20view.jpg?w=400&h=300

That thing they have in centerfield now where the black seats should be should be blown up! :lol:

I also like that the Red Sox thread is being taken over by Yankee talk! :lol::lol:

haha, yesssir. Yeah, the court house was awesome out there. And while outside the new stadium is really well done, I loved having the bars right across the street and just walking under the train tracks.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Just saw the flyover by the stealth bombers. It's opening day in Boston baby! Celtics are rolling, Bruins are on their way to defending their title (we won't talk about the Pats, tho)...

Its a beautiful day here in God's Country. Spring is here!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    haha, yesssir. Yeah, the court house was awesome out there. And while outside the new stadium is really well done, I loved having the bars right across the street and just walking under the train tracks.

Oh hell yeah. What is it...Stans maybe?? To me its just a fucking shame the old place is gone. Remember the bootleg tshirt stands that sould setup around the corner from this? The shirts always had crazy sayings usually directed at Boston. :lol:

192336591_428c7a0b97.jpg
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Just saw the flyover by the stealth bombers. It's opening day in Boston baby! Celtics are rolling, Bruins are on their way to defending their title (we won't talk about the Pats, tho)...

Its a beautiful day here in God's Country. Spring is here!
    We can talk about the Pats :P
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    An injury to Ellsbury is the last thing the Sox need. I'd rather see them lose on their own merit.
    Ruh roh, 6-8 weeks. Two thirds of your outfield is on the shelf and it has to be approaching $70 million on the dl, that is rough. I repeat, close to $70 million on the dl, that is teams payroll.
    The Red Sox should've hired Sveum. Valentine's going to be a wrecking ball there.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/ ... -comments/
    Not surprisingly, Kevin Youkilis was asked about Bobby Valentine’s comment that Youk was not “physically or emotionally into the game.” Rob Bradford of WEEI has his comments:

“That’s not what I see. I go out every day and play as hard as I can. I take every ground ball in the morning, take every at-bat like it’s my last. I don’t think my game has changed at all … I’m more confused than anything, because I think everyone knows I go out and play the game as hard as I can.”

Dustin Pedroia, who is never one to mince words, commented as well, and he is not a big fan of Valentine calling Youkilis out publicly. Again, Bradford:

”I don’t really understand what Bobby’s trying to do. But that’s really not the way we go about our stuff here. I’m sure he’ll figure that out soon. We’ve got Youk’s back. He’s played his [butt] off for us for a long time …”

Asked if he thought Valentine’s comments could have been meant as a motivational tool, Pedroia didn’t sound impressed.

“Maybe in Japan or something,” he said, referring to Valentine’s stint as a manager there. “Over here in the U.S., we’re on a three-game winning streak, we want to feel good and keep it rolling. We feel we have a good team and we’ve just got to get each other’s backs and play together. Because if you don’t do that, I don’t care what sport you’re playing, you’re not going to win.”

Happy Patriot’s Day, Boston.
    Wow, 10 games in folks
    I wonder if it's a coincidence that Youkilis wasn't in the starting lineup today. Valentine's comment was a pretty crappy thing for a manager to say publicly, but to do it the day before sitting the guy for a game is just making matters worse.

:corn:
    I'm not sure what Valentine was thinking today. He left Bard in the game when he had clearly run out of gas. After getting 2 outs in the 7th he walked a guy and gave up a single, then walked Pena on 4 pitches to load the bases and bring Longoria up to the plate. He was over 100 pitches at this point and that's probably his limit right now since he hasn't been a starter in ages before this year. Valentine left him in and he walked Longoria on 4 pitches to bring in the game's only run. Rays win 1-0. I wonder if Bobby will be ok if his players question whether he was in the game emotionally. :D
    Things to be encouraged about: Cody Ross killing it defensively and with the bat, Mike Aviles looking comfortable at short, the bullpen has performed well the last few days, Papi is hitting and Bard and Dubront looked solid for most of their outings this weekend.

Things to be discouraged about: Bobby V running his mouth 10 games into the season, losing Ellsbury (our catalyst) for two months

Regardless of the outcome this year, it's certainly going to be interesting.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Fans can second guess Bobby V for leaving Bard in, but I don't think its too big of a deal. He was showing his faith in the young kid and he was clearly tired (3 of last 9 batters faced were 1st pitch strikes), and it didn't work out.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    BOBBY V..HAHA knew it was coming
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    wake me in october

:fp:
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Fans can second guess Bobby V for leaving Bard in, but I don't think its too big of a deal. He was showing his faith in the young kid and he was clearly tired (3 of last 9 batters faced were 1st pitch strikes), and it didn't work out.
    I'm definitely second guessing this one. Bard should never have been in the game at that point. This was his 2nd career start after leaving the bullpen. He had thrown 87 pitches when the 7th inning started and he had already walked 4 coming into the 7th inning. He proceeds to get 2 quick outs on 5 pitches before walking the next guy on 5 pitches. Next batter singles to center on the 6th pitch of the AB.

(This is the point where he should have been pulled at the latest) Next batter walks on 4 pitches. Obviously, he's done at this point, right? Nope, Bobby V. decides to let him stay in to get the third out despite having allowed 2 walks and a single in the inning. Oh, his pitch count was at 107 at this point and he'd just allowed his 6th walk of the game. So much for letting him gradually stretch himself into the starter's role early in the season.

The next batter walks on 4 pitches allowing the first and only run of the game. Bobby V. finally comes and rescues Bard who pitched great for 6 2/3 innings. The crowd boos loudly both when Bobby V. comes out to the mound and while he returns to the dugout. I understand trying to let a guy go for a shutout, but Bard was clearly done. Terrible management that may have lost the Red Sox the game since the final score was 1-0.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Melancon and his 49.50 ERA are headed to Pawtucket.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,923
    wake me in october

for what? :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJ88PJ88 Posts: 1,074
    wake me in october

At this point I totally agree! I have a feeling this is going to be a long season.