Boston Red Sox

Comments

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    plus the changing the pronounciation (spell check) of Daisuke Matsusaka's name to Dice-K so they could print up a bunch of unused signs and unpurchased t-shirts. Still there has to be something new this year...no?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    13 pitchers :lol:
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    It starts today but without the great anticipation I had last year.

Go Sox! 0bzkkgggeec16jy2ktp8jl7ej.gif

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    RW81233 wrote:
    plus the changing the pronounciation (spell check) of Daisuke Matsusaka's name to Dice-K so they could print up a bunch of unused signs and unpurchased t-shirts. Still there has to be something new this year...no?
    The Japanese pronunciation of Daisuke is dī-skā which is basically Dice-K. I don't see the issue.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

I'll be there again in Saturday.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    adam42381 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    The Japanese pronunciation of Daisuke is dī-skā which is basically Dice-K. I don't see the issue.
    i could be wrong, but i have been told by several people who speak japanese that it should be diuh-sukay (with the same i and a sound you have).
  • :lol::lol:

Closer's starting, your number 5 is closing and your manager is already alienating and ruining your bullpen's confidence. Couldn't have had a better opening day for Yankees fans! Keep up the good work! :lol:

It's a long season. Just one game. Rationalization. This should be fun to watch unfold.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    RW81233 wrote:
    so i'm presenting on the complicated changing face of Red Sox Nation up in Boson next Wednesday. Off the top of anyone's heads what are some of the most ridiculous and annoying things you can purchase from the Red Sox? I came up with DestiNations, RSN Membership, Green Monster seats in Ft. Myers, the Budweiser Beer Deck and all the other crazy corporate sponsorship they've done, Kid Nation, and all the stupid gear like the "commemorative" Brewers-Red Sox 2011 hat (among every other series) that my wife grabbed last year. I can get the website stuff, but is there anything local that is just out of this world corporate pandering?

I hope this isn't presented as if the Red Sox are the only one doing these things (how many of your opinions often come across) ... the monetization of fandom has been happening since ... well ... forever. And it's every team.

As for the Sox themselves, my opinon still stands ...
    jimed14 wrote:
    Bailey might need surgery ... let's face it ...

major-league-theyre-shitty.jpg
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    We won a game! Let the good times roll!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Doubront looked good tonight as did Atchison and Aceves. Maybe the pitching is turning the corner.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    jimed14 wrote:

I hope this isn't presented as if the Red Sox are the only one doing these things (how many of your opinions often come across) ... the monetization of fandom has been happening since ... well ... forever. And it's every team.
    jimed14 wrote:
    jimed I go today and I put a line in just for you:

More specifically, I began following the Red Sox as an outsider when I started dating my wife, who is from a small town south of the city, in 2002. I found that Red Sox Nation was quite a peculiar community. Unfortunately, as Howard Bryant painstakingly outlined in his book Shut Out (2002), the Red Sox organization and its fans have long reflected a virulent form of racial bigotry that I would argue still continues in some form to this day (Slide 3). Indeed, most Red Sox fans (and most baseball fans for that matter) tend to reinforce white, hypermasculine, heterosexual norms. In 2007 I conducted an ethnographic project on them.

Also you are right that teams have monetized their properties forever, but the ways in which they are doing it and the effects that it has on particular fanbases are dramatic. Essentially, anytime a team gets good they raise ticket prices, pushing out the regular fan, and bringing in the non-die hard, cosmopolitan. The dilemma here is that the latter tends to pay for the team's success with their wallets, while the former stews about the fact that their gameday experience has changed. I'm seeing the same thing with the Brewers, and how fans are getting pissed at ticket price raises and the team's growing "bandwagon" :lol:
    Man, the Yankees and Torre had a messy separation but it was civil compared to this. Pretty amusing that the guy is stabbed in the back then expected to come back for PR for the organization. Fucking idiots.

“Larry called me yesterday,’’ Francona said Tuesday. “I was in a phone store in Arizona. I had three people standing around me. I was at a little bit of a disadvantage. He got a little perturbed at me, telling me I was being unfair to them. I called him back last night and left him a message. He called me back and we ended up getting into an argument. I just feel like someone in the organization went out of their way to hurt me and the more we talked I realized we’re just not on the same wavelength. They’re probably better off going forth and leaving me out of it.’’

“Until I’m more comfortable with some answers on what happened at the end of the year, I don’t want to have much to do with the organization and that’s a shame,’’ Francona said Tuesday. “With all the good things that were accomplished, I just feel pretty strongly about that.

“It was pretty raw at the end of the year. I think I’ve done a pretty good job of moving on from that. At the same time, I’m never going to forget that. For me to go back and start waving and hugging, I’m just not comfortable doing that. I made it pretty clear to John Henry. When I told Larry that, he said, ‘Well, I haven’t talked to John about it.’ I said, well then how [expletive] important could it be?

“When I spoke to John he made me think they were going to make an effort. John and Larry made it clear to me they weren’t responsible for what was said [in the Globe article]. I thought they owed it to me to get to the bottom of it a little bit.’’
    edited April 2012
    Watching part of Sox-Jays right now. Eric Thames has a badass beard.

Lester looks pretty solid, but the offense is giving us nothing again.
    Post edited by FenwayFaithful on
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    It seems that Crawford has some soreness in his left elbow and flew to Boston to have it checked out. It might be a minor problem but it will at least add a few more days to his time on the DL.
    I still think Crawford has a big impact on this team later in the year
    Well atleast the Sox are off to a BETTER start than they did last year.

Go Sox

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,923
    "you tell me"

tick, tick, tick..... :shh:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    When do red sox fans start contributing to this thread?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Me and adam and g under p dont count? What about jimed?

Keep talking shit. We'll see what happens next weekend.
    Hahaha, you all count, the contributions have just seemed to be a little light recently. Baseball season is the best. Missing the yanks in Fenway by 2 days next week.

And I wont be a little surprised if you guys take the series next weekend. That's how it's gone the past few years.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Hahaha, you all count, the contributions have just seemed to be a little light recently. Baseball season is the best. Missing the yanks in Fenway by 2 days next week.

And I wont be a little surprised if you guys take the series next weekend. That's how it's gone the past few years.
    Trucking up to Boston are we Cliffy? Yeah, its been light. I think that might be a product of all the day games so far, with many people missing the game for work. It'll pick up once we get a string of night games and/or a nice little sweep next weekend.

Btw we're already planning saratoga 2012. I'm gonna clean up this year.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

How long to you stay when you come to Saratoga?
    DS1119 wrote:

Arrive Thursday afternoon, leave Sunday evening/Monday night. Bunch of my HS buddies and I have been making the trek the past 7 years. Good times.
    DS1119 wrote:

Arrive Thursday afternoon, leave Sunday evening/Monday night. Bunch of my HS buddies and I have been making the trek the past 7 years. Good times.

Yeah Saratoga is pretty cool I have to admit. If you like pizza I know the best pizza place in probably a 100 mile radius that's in Saratoga.
    Absolutely! Do tell. We try to hit downtown at least one night during the long weekend, and we try and do a show at SPAC. Very nice area you guys have up in that region. I'm usually up there 2-3x a summer, with my yearly pilgrimage to Cooperstown thrown in.
    Absolutely! Do tell. We try to hit downtown at least one night during the long weekend, and we try and do a show at SPAC. Very nice area you guys have up in that region. I'm usually up there 2-3x a summer, with my yearly pilgrimage to Cooperstown thrown in.

Yeah pretty much Cooperstown and Saratoga are the only things I like here. :lol: Believe me...this is the BEST pizza in the area. http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 3306463686

The guy who owns it learned how to make pizza from my favorite place in Utica, NY where I grew up and has ingredients from there brought in daily. I expect to hear back from you when you tell me how awesome it is! :lol: When I crave pizza I drive there which is fifteen miles away from my home and bypass probably 20 other pizza joints. This place is just awesome.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    trekking up to Somerville this weekend. Love me some davis Sq
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

For me even though the Sox are #1 there's other things going on at the moment like Boston College just winning the 2012 NCAA Hockey championships and now the BRUINS are on to defend their 2011 Stanley Cup Championship. Celtics are going to give it their ALL so for me the Sox are on the backburner till some of these other winning teams finish up.

There's all year to bring dialogue on the Sox and anything else baseball. You do a fantastic job of moving along the Yankee thread. The Sox thread will thrive just fine patience my friend, patience 100+ games to go and it will be a long hot summer.

For the first time ever I'm picking the Yanks to win it all, HAPPY NOW! :corn:

Peace

Yeah, Fenway, I have clients in Weston. Heading there on wednesday and taking our clients to the game. Will be my first time in your Little stadium. Seeing the giants in San Fran on Monday then going to Fenway on Wednesday, good start to my baseball season.