Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    It would be pretty hialrious if you moved Scuatro to free up Oswalt money and he signs with Texas for less. At least you got Cody Ross though.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    It would be pretty hialrious if you moved Scuatro to free up Oswalt money and he signs with Texas for less. At least you got Cody Ross though.

I'm not sure it's such a bad thing if it prevents the Sox from shooting themselves in the foot by signing some stupid 6 year deal with Oswalt.

Along with being closer to his home, another thing Texas has (which Oswalt is well aware of) ... no state income tax.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm not sure it's such a bad thing if it prevents the Sox from shooting themselves in the foot by signing some stupid 6 year deal with Oswalt.

Along with being closer to his home, another thing Texas has (which Oswalt is well aware of) ... no state income tax.

Well, Oswalt has already said he is more than willing to sign a 1 year deal, just the money at this point for where ever he goes, I would imagine. I would never sign him for more than 1 year. I like Edwin Jackson more than most and not signing Oswalt probably means you get him, although, I can't imagine that would be a 1 year deal.
    I haven't paid much attention to the Oswalt negotiations.

I'll worry about the Sox on Feb 6th ... it'll still give me a week to catch up before pitchers and catcher report.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    I haven't paid much attention to the Oswalt negotiations.

I'll worry about the Sox on Feb 6th ... it'll still give me a week to catch up before pitchers and catcher report.

Yessir. I'm just a baseball addict, apparantly.
  • dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    Red Sox offered contracts to Jackson and Oswalt. Gammons says they dont have much of a chance at signing either one.

I would give the extra money to Oswalt rather than save it until the Allstar break like Gammons says the Sox are wanting to do. That makes no sense to me at all. They throw money at washed up players all the time. I think Oswalt still has some gas in the tank and would help the Sox dearly
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    The problem with the Sox going after Oswalt is the injury factor. Oswalt makes sense for a team that needs to fill a spot in the rotation but has a few guys who can give them 200+ IP. None of Boston's top 3 starters reached 200 IP last year. They all missed at least a couple starts and Lester's the only one who's consistently given them 200 IP prior to last year. Beckett has reached 200 IP once in the last 4 seasons and Bucholz has never even reached 174 IP in a season. On top of that, Bard has never started a single game in the majors so he'll be on an innings limit and won't come close to 200 IP. Adding Oswalt would mean that their rotation is made up of 5 guys who can't be counted on to give them 200 IP. Even giving Lester the benefit of the doubt that he'll get to 200 IP again, the other guys aren't reliable innings-eaters at this point. Beckett seems to have Saberhagen Syndrome (good every other season), so he seems like he's as likely to post an ERA around 5.00 as he is to be around 3.00 this year.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,923
    Beckett seems to have Saberhagen Syndrome (good every other season)

aka Huff Syndrome :roll: :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    While she's no Heidi, I'm okay with the choice.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Saw that, too.

Hopefully, the married members of our squad can keep their mitts off of her!
    I SAW PEARL JAM

At least you guys have something to enjoy while watching baseball games this season. ;)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

At least you guys have something to enjoy while watching baseball games this season. ;)

Someone is extremely cocky on January 27th ... isn't he? ;)

jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Someone is extremely cocky on January 27th ... isn't he? ;)

He is, this is true. Just with how the events unfolded over the past 6 months, it just kind of happened. Watch, you'll win the east by 5 games and it will bite me in the ass.
    Cherington was married to Wendy Nix?
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cherington was married to Wendy Nix?
    Yeah, and I feel like she's gone downhill since coming to ESPN. I thought she was a minx 8 years ago when she was on channel 7.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    not surprised at all by the Boyd revelations. there was a LOT of coke around in the 80s (so I'm told :? :lol: )

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    not surprised at all by the Boyd revelations. there was a LOT of coke around in the 80s (so I'm told :? :lol: )
    Yeah, this comes as zero surprise to me. It's like a story coming out saying Yaz used to drink and smoke butts in the clubhouse during games. No shit.

I loved OCB and his gold chains.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,769
    imalive wrote:

Me either. I just laughed when i heard about this.

Hey! You still think the Oil Can can throw strikes? Sox NEED all the pitching they can get> :lol:

Carlos Silva??????? If you seeing him toeing the rubber this year, the Sox are in BIG trouble.
  • Today is Truck Day kids!

1st spring training game is 22 short days away
  • dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    OK My east coast Sox fans. Since I moved out west I dont get all the Sox news I need. But can any one tell me why the Sox are playing it cheap when it comes to Roy Oswalt? I have a real good feeling that he is just what the Sox need.

I seen on MLB TV they are saying its because of the money Henry spent last year in free agency and the money he is spending on his soccer team. Come on is this the beginning of the end. Where we are to afraid to get that one piece to finish the puzzle?
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Red Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield plans to announce his retirement tonight at 5 p.m.

To read more, visit: www.Boston.com

This day was coming but it's so sad to actually be here. Thanks for all the great memories...

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Red Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield plans to announce his retirement tonight at 5 p.m.

To read more, visit: http://www.Boston.com

This day was coming but it's so sad to actually be here. Thanks for all the great memories...

Peace

Yep, thanks for the memories :lol:

boone4.jpg
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

boone4.jpg

You are welcome both good and bad. In the end he had a great career changing his pitching to last much longer than any could have imagined.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

boone4.jpg

You are welcome both good and bad. In the end he had a great career changing his pitching to last much longer than any could have imagined.

Peace

No doubt. A much better career than most would have imagined.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

boone4.jpg

that's cold. :think:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Thanks for the memories, Tim. Big contributions to both the 2004 and 2007 World Series winning teams. The knuckler ate up a lot of innings. We'll miss you, though it is time to go.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Wake had more class than the entire Yankees roster

:lol: