Boston Red Sox

Comments

• davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    this team is in the shitter. i predict 80 wins
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    Davidtrios wrote:

I think their offense alone will get them that but they are certainly worse than both the Yankees and Rays at this point.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Avoided arbitration with Ellsbury for 8.05 million.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    The Padilla signing (and the other scrap heap pitcher signings from shortly before that) reeks of an attempt to duplicate the Garcia and Colon signings Cashman made last year. It's good to see Boston trying to make a positive change in the clubhouse attitude by signing a guy like Padilla who has never worn out his welcome on a team before. Oh, that's right.
    http://www.bbtia.com/home/2009/6/3/news ... ivers.html
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Carl Crawford had wrist surgery and will start hitting at some point during spring training, that is if Carl Crawford could actually still hit :lol::lol:

Oh and nice job countering the Yanks big moves Friday with a big signing of Padilla.

The Yankees moves were just "eh" though :lol:
    The Padilla signing (and the other scrap heap pitcher signings from shortly before that) reeks of an attempt to duplicate the Garcia and Colon signings Cashman made last year. It's good to see Boston trying to make a positive change in the clubhouse attitude by signing a guy like Padilla who has never worn out his welcome on a team before. Oh, that's right.
    http://www.bbtia.com/home/2009/6/3/news ... ivers.html
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Carl Crawford had wrist surgery and will start hitting at some point during spring training, that is if Carl Crawford could actually still hit :lol::lol:

Oh and nice job countering the Yanks big moves Friday with a big signing of Padilla.

The Yankees moves were just "eh" though :lol:

Yeah, it definitely does. Same type of thing. Boston says they have to move payroll if they want to sign Oswalt. Guess they are back to being a small market team. Yeah, I thought about that too. I am sure another Tex beaning from Padilla could spark the Yankees-Red Sox rilvary again
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:

I think their offense alone will get them that but they are certainly worse than both the Yankees and Rays at this point.

dont count out those pesky jays
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:

dont count out those pesky jays

No doubt, they'll definitely be better and will should make some noise in the division, I just don't think they are there yet. Certainly a great foundation though.
  • 2012 WS champs

Haters gonna hate...
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    2012 WS champs

I thought you were kidding! I thought it was a joke! I even wrote it down in my diary, "Fenway Faithful had a very funny joke today!" I laughed at it later that night!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    2012 WS champs

Haters gonna hate...

I mean you never know but at this point I would say that's a bold predicition!
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    2012 WS champs

I thought you were kidding! I thought it was a joke! I even wrote it down in my diary, "Fenway Faithful had a very funny joke today!" I laughed at it later that night!
    :lol: The man punted Baxter
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    2012 WS champs

:lol: The man punted Baxter

well played cliff.
    www.myspace.com
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I think they are a 85 win team which places them 3rd in the division. I haven't been excited about a single offseason move so far. We don't have a right fielder and our left fielder is injured (and sucked terribly last year). The infield is solid and we have a few decent starting pitchers, but the back end of the rotation is weak and so is the bullpen. I really hope they can figure out how to get Oswalt, but according to ownership they'd have to dump salary to do it.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Crawford's gonna have a big season, I'm calling it right now. While we're at it, I'm calling a big season from Chicken Saltalamaccia too. We don't have Lackey or Dice K ruining win streaks. We have one of the best bullpens in baseball, despite losing Poopelbon. I think we get good production from Lester and Beckett (I hear Cliffy cackling from all the way down I-95 reading this)...and Buckles will be back and healthy and ready to win his 1st Cy Young. On top of all this, there's a new sheriff in town to turn around clubhouse culture.

This is all optimistic speculation for sure, but I think 2012 will be a major surprise to the Sox haters out there.
    All this negativity sucks, as famed Celtics coach Rick Pitino once said.

Crawford's gonna have a big season, I'm calling it right now. While we're at it, I'm calling a big season from Chicken Saltalamaccia too. We don't have Lackey or Dice K ruining win streaks. We have one of the best bullpens in baseball, despite losing Poopelbon. I think we get good production from Lester and Beckett (I hear Cliffy cackling from all the way down I-95 reading this)...and Buckles will be back and healthy and ready to win his 1st Cy Young. On top of all this, there's a new sheriff in town to turn around clubhouse culture.

This is all optimistic speculation for sure, but I think 2012 will be a major surprise to the Sox haters out there.
    I disagree with the bullpen statement. Papelbon is gone and Bard is likely moving to the rotation. I just don't see Melancon and Bailey being nearly as good as Papelbon and Bard were in their respective spots.
    Whether Bard moves to the rotation or not, I still think the bullpen is going to be very effective
    I hope you're right. So who is playing right field and who is starting in left if Crawford can't go?
    Whether Bard moves to the rotation or not, I still think the bullpen is going to be very effective
    I hope you're right. So who is playing right field and who is starting in left if Crawford can't go?
    Probably Darnell in left and Sweeney in right. Crawford's gonna be fine and will have a nice bounceback year. Im full of optimism in January. 1st spring training game is 44 days away!
    1st spring training game is 44 days away!
    I got tickets to 5 games at the Sox new stadium. I'm thinking about getting tickets to a couple games at the Twins stadium as well.
    Te Sox traded Scutaro to the Rockies for RP Clayton Mortensen. Salary dump to make a move for Oswalt, hopefully.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/r ... utaro.html

So, who's gonna play short now? Punto? Aviles?
    adam42381 wrote:
    Te Sox traded Scutaro to the Rockies for RP Clayton Mortensen. Salary dump to make a move for Oswalt, hopefully.

Maybe the money is not for Oswalt, but for Hanley Ramirez. Nothing would surprise me at this point.
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
    dwhite76 wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:

Maybe the money is not for Oswalt, but for Hanley Ramirez. Nothing would surprise me at this point.
    I don't see that happening.
    (@GordonEdes)
    1/21/12 8:32 PM

No. Marlins aren''t moving him.//RT @JonathanWSegal: @GordonEdes any chance Red Sox making room for Hanley?
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    The Lowrie for Melancon trade looks even more baffling now.

Pretty happy I haven't paid much attention to this off season, I think I would be beyond pissed.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    Ahh, John Henry and the small market Red Sox, having to trade Marco Scuatro for salary relief to take a 1 year gamble on an aging pitcher with a bad back. :lol::lol:
    Iglecias! Oh if only he could hit.
    I really wish Iglesias was a viable replacement at this point. He can obviously field from everything I've read, but the kid isn't yet an MLB caliber hitter.
    Cody Ross to the sox :cry: . Jimed can tell you all about him.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    I like a Ross/Sweeney platoon in right.
    Better than Drew/Mcdonald.

Ross could see a decent spike playing his home games at Fenway.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    major-league-theyre-shitty_medium.jpg
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    adam42381 wrote:
    Iglecias! Oh if only he could hit.
    I really wish Iglesias was a viable replacement at this point. He can obviously field from everything I've read, but the kid isn't yet an MLB caliber hitter.

I was able to watch him down here in AZ for the future stars game. He looks like hes 12. He is not a big man more sized like a 12 year old. He can play the field but not for a championship team. I would trade him.

We should be ok if we get Roy Oswalt. He will give us 32 games started this year if we sign him. I got a feeling.
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...