Boston Red Sox

Comments

• There were reports on MLB Radio on XM over the weekend that Henry wants to hire Valentine and Cherrington wants to hire Lamont. It''ll be interesting to see how that plays out. I'm sure Cherrington won't feel too good if he's overridden by ownership on the first major decision to come along. It seems like the drama isn't over up there just yet.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    There were reports on MLB Radio on XM over the weekend that Henry wants to hire Valentine and Cherrington wants to hire Lamont. It''ll be interesting to see how that plays out. I'm sure Cherrington won't feel too good if he's overridden by ownership on the first major decision to come along. It seems like the drama isn't over up there just yet.

Pete Abe with some good details.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... nt_em.html
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,923
    Heidi's leaving the Sox to handle the Lakers both on and off the court

:(

"on AND off"? :shock: :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I'm glad I read that she's a California native and not a Boston native. It would be a dream-killer if she had Suzyn Waldman's voice.
    no sir. i would not envision that happening to this glorious creature:
    9td7a0j4w42bdta2.jpg

:shock: :thumbup: :clap:
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    So, Bobby Valentine is our new manager. Hated him as an analyst, but think he brings some good qualities to the table as manager. Thoughts?
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    So, Bobby Valentine is our new manager. Hated him as an analyst, but think he brings some good qualities to the table as manager. Thoughts?
    if he can take a buncha lunch and pail type team to the nlcs and world series, just think bout what he can do with talent. i love this hire by you guys.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• bobbyvstache.jpg
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Interesting stuff here. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, the GM-Manger relationship and his relationship with some of the players.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... d_t_1.html
    reports are, some players are not too happy with the bobby v. hiring. who knows? this cracked me up, tho:

As an ESPN analyst, Valentine has questioned some Red Sox players, notably Josh Beckett. During one Sunday night game, Beckett was pitching against the Yankees in August, Valentine was critical of the time Beckett took between pitches. He estimated that Beckett was taking 30-35 seconds between pitches.

"This is a 2-hour-and-40-minute game so far," Valentine said after Beckett left the game in the sixth. "That's a half-hour added to this game of him standing around and us sitting around watching him do nothing."

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    All this off season news means little to me, so wrapped up in the Pats and B's ... but ...

I still miss Heidi
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    article in the star here in toronto .... said it was a panicked hiring ... and that valentine was the owner's choice not the gm's ...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/ ... s-for-jays
    A long but very good read on how they came to Valentine. I love reading about how front offices work and think.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseb ... came-red-s

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Obviously I am hoping for him to fail but I could see it going either way. I could see him clashing with players and the front office and I could see it working out and them playing great. I read that when he was manager of the Mets he was more interested in OBP than speed at the top of the lineup when that wasn't the way of thinking. He said speed was pointless at the top since they often score on home runs and was more important further down. Interesting to hear about a manager thinking that way when it wasn't the norm.

Interesting that his contract is 2 years and will be ending at the same times as Farrell's
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I Love Bobby V, best thing that could have happened to the Sox! ofcourse the Yankees are still going to kick your ass all year but that's unaviodable.
    http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this- ... y-legs-out

That is seriously horrible. I would be pretty disgusted with your organization if I were you. Dude was the most successful manager you have ever had and thats how he goes out. Fucking embarrassing.
  • booby v is great for the red sox.... now that's just one less team for the rangers to have to worry about.
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends....
  • jimed14 wrote:
    All this off season news means little to me, so wrapped up in the Pats and B's ... but ...

I still miss Heidi
    Did you see Heidi was back on NESN yesterday at the Bobby V presser?
    IMG00355-20111201-1833-480x360.jpg
    I'm so confused. Is she staying or going jimed?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Damn, fellas. You guys are really liking the Yanks 2009 bullpen.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Melancon for Tennessee Jed and Scott Weiland? I like it. Honestly I'm not sold on Dan Bard going to the rotation. Good chance he ends up as the closer with Melancon and Fat Alpers as set up.

Also, love the Shoppach signing. Gonna be sad to see Captek go, but it had to be done. Also, Lavarnway is a great young bat who needs to improve his catching skills before he can assume the role.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Melancon for Tennessee Jed and Scott Weiland? I like it. Honestly I'm not sold on Dan Bard going to the rotation. Good chance he ends up as the closer with Melancon and Fat Alpers as set up.

Also, love the Shoppach signing. Gonna be sad to see Captek go, but it had to be done. Also, Lavarnway is a great young bat who needs to improve his catching skills before he can assume the role.

Yeah, between Melancon and Aceves, loading up on the 2009 yankes bullpen arms. I still hate the fact Aceves is on that team. Yeah, I'm not too sure on Bard going to the rotation. Not sure how that is going to work out. Didn't he start in the minors for a while and did terribly? I could be thinking of someone else.

Wakefield and "C" are going to be gone. Pretty crazy.
  • Aceves is a nice bullpen guy too. I like the bullpen post-Pap if we keep Bard out there. We missed out on Buehrle which would have helped the rotation. I still think Clay Buckles has a big season in 2012.

edit: I happen to be watching this Derek Jeter Barbra Walters interview here on ESPN and I gotta say he's gone up about 3 notches in my book the last few days with the recent developments of him giving souvenir tote bags of signed shit as a door prize to his conquests. Amazing.
    Aceves is a nice bullpen guy too. I like the bullpen post-Pap if we keep Bard out there. We missed out on Buehrle which would have helped the rotation. I still think Clay Buckles has a big season in 2012.

edit: I happen to be watching this Derek Jeter Barbra Walters interview here on ESPN and I gotta say he's gone up about 3 notches in my book the last few days with the recent developments of him giving souvenir tote bags of signed shit as a door prize to his conquests. Amazing.

Aceves is the man. Going to be a starter next year as of now, right? Gotta hope the lap top stealer has a big season. You guys need him.

Yessir :thumbup: As I mentioned in the Yankees thread, that is by far the greatest thing I have ever heard. Just when I thought I couldn't like the guy more, I go and read about him giving signed baseballs to chicks. It does not get better than that. Nope. Case closed, he is an American Hero. How many dads in the NY Metro Area are now looking at their signed Jeter baseballs they got from their daughter for Christmas or Fathers day, wondering where the hell their daugther got it? :lol:
  • I see Aceves as the hybrid guy that we need. I think he'll be effective starting or in the pen. And I think even if Theo's expressing interest in Wake, if his back feels ok, he'll be back with the Sox on another one year deal.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    How many dads in the NY Metro Area are now looking at their signed Jeter baseballs they got from their daughter for Christmas or Fathers day, wondering where the hell their daugther got it? :lol:
    let me add a couple of :lol::lol: of my own.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Sox spring training tickets went on sale today. Ended up getting cheap seats for 5 games.

Twins
    Rays
    Orioles
    Cardinals
    Marlins

All games at the new Fenway South at JetBlue Park. I live about 5 miles from the new stadium, so that's pretty convenient. I'm going to try to score some Sox @ Twins tickets when they go on sale.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Wait, what?!?! Their spring training stadium is called jetblue park?!? Haha
  • Exit Josh Reddick

Enter Andrew Bailey
  • 4th place in 2012 :thumbup:
    And I have my evening reading for tonight

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/ ... tells_all/
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    And I have my evening reading for tonight

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/ ... tells_all/

363_original.gif
    Carl Crawford had wrist surgery and will start hitting at some point during spring training, that is if Carl Crawford could actually still hit :lol::lol:

Oh and nice job countering the Yanks big moves Friday with a big signing of Padilla.

The Yankees moves were just "eh" though :lol: