Boston Red Sox

Comments

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Jimed, after considering our discussions (among others that I've had), I'm submitting this to the Popular Culture Association to hopefully present this April 11-14:
    Get Rid of the "Pink Hats," because I Want My White Boys Back: Red Sox Nation, Corporate Post-Nationality, and the Paradox of Neoliberal Apoliticality.

Following the Boston Red Sox collapse at the end of the 2011 regular season some of those in Red Sox Nation (RSN) curiously rejoiced. While disappointed that the team lost, longtime supporters suggested that maybe it would clear the franchise’s bandwagon of ‘pink hat fans’. Using this response as a backdrop I will attempt to critically evaluate its socio-political import. More to the point, after years of futilely chasing the New York Yankees, in 2007 USA Today (White, 2007) had proclaimed RSN as baseball’s biggest fan base. Certainly then, RSN became the poster-child for the post-national moment (Miller, 2008) whereby the traditional nation-state’s importance has waned in favor of consumption-based ideological (national) identity formations (i.e. Budweiser, under Belgian ownership, is still marketed as an “American” beer).

Similar to Budweiser representing “America”, RSN was once a fiercely local fan base that has given way to a corporatized structure focused more on profitability than representing New England. Paradoxically, in RSN’s case this has been a somewhat positive move. For what was once thought of as the most racially monotone fan base (Bryant, 2002), has given way to a slightly more mutli-ethnic/cultural/national group of people whose consumptive practices have provided the Red Sox with the funding to compete with the Yankees. Thus, this presentation will seriously consider the cultural, on-field, and in-the-stands implications of RSN attempting to return to its ‘roots’. Finally, I will conclude by taking into consideration the idea that corporate apoliticality may have brought about progressive social change in RSN.

Whattya think?
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    RW81233 wrote:
    Following the Boston Red Sox collapse at the end of the 2011 regular season some of those in Red Sox Nation (RSN) curiously rejoiced. While disappointed that the team lost, longtime supporters suggested that maybe it would clear the franchise’s bandwagon of ‘pink hat fans’.

First ... who rejoiced? I'm in San Francisco, so, I'm not there in it hearing people in Boston directly ... so, I'd want some folks in Boston to chime in on the fact that, "yeah, people were kind of happy the Sox tanked hoping the fringe fans would go away."

I mean I get your point, and I agree. Everyone loves a winner, so with the Sox winning, the games became more of a place to be seen than a sporting event. And it certainly has become a more diverse "RSN" over the past decade ... here in the bay area, I see tons of folks from all different races and backgrounds sporting Sox gear ... and no doubt, these people have no idea who Tom Yawkey, Pumpsie Green or Tommy Harper are.

The pink hats won't go anywhere until the Sox put up a few sub .500 records, though.

So ... the only thing I don't agree with ... or should I say, feel is backed by evidence, is that the old RSN wants to be less culturally diverse (if that is indeed what you're implying). I think they just want the people that sit in the stands who are more interested in updating their facebook with photos at the game to not be at Fenway anymore, those could very easily be white males as well. If people are truly hard core fans, no one gives a crap what color, sex or religion they are.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    I took the "rejoiced" from this clip on the Scott Van Pelt show, Rusillo claims he was a hardcore Sox fan (plus this was similar to some of the stuff I was hearing from friends/fam in Beantown). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WeoTS4Dxb4 I'm planning on starting the presentation off with this then kinda going from there into the discussion. It'll be in Boston so I hope to get some good discussion on it.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,923
    new york's exit has got to take a little of the sting away, right? ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    imalive wrote:

Not really I lost a bet last night when I put it all on the frisking Yankees. So I'm a loser just like their fans today.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Not really I lost a bet last night when I put it all on the frisking Yankees. So I'm a loser just like their fans today.

Peace
    you bet the yankees....and you're a sox fan? sorry, but a true fan never bets the enemy....even if they perceive a "sure thing."

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Peace
    you bet the yankees....and you're a sox fan? sorry, but a true fan never bets the enemy....even if they perceive a "sure thing."

My daughter is a Yankee fan and the bet was 1 dollar and loser had to clean HER ROOM. :shock: I would rather put up a 100 bucks than the mess of room she has. :(

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

imalive wrote:

Nah ... that's horseshit ... the only team I never bet on or against in the playoffs is the Sox. Win or lose I'm invested enough in any Boston team ... hell, I've bet against the Sox in regular season games. (I would NEVER do that in the playoffs).

I'd even bet my mother to lose a cooking duel if there was money on the line. Smart money doesn't mean you don't love your team. Or your mom.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    Dude, there is NO betting against your team. You cannot benefit for your team losing.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Dude, there is NO betting against your team. You cannot benefit for your team losing.

A regular season baseball game?

If my Sox homer friend wants to bet me dinner that the Sox are going to win and Lackey, coming off 4 straight disasters, is on the mound in some random game in May ... I'm going to take him up on it.

Where is jeagler to come in here and call me a fraud?

Cliffy6745 wrote:

Well I look at it this way IF you are a fan of your team for 40 years or more well then you can do ANY damn thing you please with said team. I've been a SOX fan since 71-72' so there. :D

Peace

Alright, well dinner in that situation is one thing. You get to go out and have a good time either way. But just betting money is a no go.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Alright, well dinner in that situation is one thing. You get to go out and have a good time either way. But just betting money is a no go.

boston fan.....duhhhhhhhhh :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    francona is not doing too badly for the first time out in his broadcaster gig.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    smart guy. sad to see him go.. even sadder to him in a booth with the two biggest assclowns in broadcasting...
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
    imalive wrote:
    smart guy. sad to see him go.. even sadder to him in a booth with the two biggest assclowns in broadcasting...
    the head assclown has the night off....but rosenthal's working the dugouts.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Reports are saying that Theo is close to signing.. with the Cubs.

Haha. When it rains it pours.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Haha. When it rains it pours.
    At least he didn't waste time. Time to get going with the future.

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    besides the money why would he go with that horrible squad
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,675
    After Renteria, Clement, Lugo, Lackey and Crawford he can go to Chitown...best of luck Cubs fans.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

chicago is awesome.

easier to win in the NL too...especially going from the AL East

He wins with the cubs he'll be a hall of fame gm. Glad cashman had no interest though
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,675
    Its payback...he promised Eddie he'd take over the Cubs some day after he was allowed on stage for RITFW in Boston in 08.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Poncier wrote:
    Its payback...he promised Eddie he'd take over the Cubs some day after he was allowed on stage for RITFW in Boston in 08.
    :lol::lol::lol:

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Conspiracy theory: Theo pushed Tito out so he could hire him once he heads to the Cubs.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    Conspiracy theory: Theo pushed Tito out so he could hire him once he heads to the Cubs.

probably will happen...though i wish giradi would take it
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732

i agree. even if the cubs could bring babe fucken ruth back from the dead, they still wouldnt win a WS.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    ego...

and sometimes, people just need a change.

plus....

whoever is attached to the cubs if they were to win a title would be a king forever in this city.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    81 wrote:
    ego...

and sometimes, people just need a change.

plus....

whoever is attached to the cubs if they were to win a title would be a king forever in this city.

true. this might be destiny...ed is a big cubs fan, theo and ed are tight...ed sang someday we'll go all the way...maybe the cubs win it all in 2015?