Boston Red Sox

Comments

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    weren't they the greatest team ever assembled? a "dream team" of sorts with 6 starting pitchers, tons of hitting, and a strong relief corps...
  • RW81233 wrote:
    weren't they the greatest team ever assembled? a "dream team" of sorts with 6 starting pitchers, tons of hitting, and a strong relief corps...

BEST TEAM since the 27 yanks heading into the season.... :?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Again, give the Rays credit ... how unlikely was their win tonight? Check it ...

http://www.fangraphs.com/livewins.aspx? ... eason=2011
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • And here come the vultures to shit on us Sox fans

Where's neilybabes with his indecipherable gibberish?

Baby. Dolls. :mrgreen:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    anyone know why the 3rd string catcher was batting 5th?
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,675
    Davidtrios wrote:
    theo gone too?
    He should have plenty of time to follow PJ on the 2012 tour.
    Should be the first one canned....$142 million to Crawford and $82.5 million to Lackey.

Crawford should have caught that ball, they'd have probably lost in extra innings, but he played that thing like Timmy Lupus, except Lupus made the catch....and we're stuck with him for 6 more years? And he gets a $5.5million raise next season?? Worst free agent signing in baseball history by a mile, makes what Carl Pavano gave the Yanks look like tremendous return on investment.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Poncier wrote:
    Worst free agent signing in baseball history by a mile, makes what Carl Pavano gave the Yanks look like tremendous return on investment.

Step back from that bridge and pop in your 2004 & 2007 DVD's. That signing might not be that bad in the long run - maybe he just had a bad year. But yeah, he probably should've caught that ball.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Poncier wrote:
    Worst free agent signing in baseball history by a mile, makes what Carl Pavano gave the Yanks look like tremendous return on investment.

Step back from that bridge and pop in your 2004 & 2007 DVD's. That signing might not be that bad in the long run - maybe he just had a bad year. But yeah, he probably should've caught that ball.
    I'm not near a bridge, I've seen it all before, not shocked, just disappointed.
    I guarantee you in 2017 we'll look back on it as the most horrendous signing ever, unless Theo spends $200 million to bring Manny Ramirez out of steroid jail to play left for the Cubs next year.

Its obvious while watching Crawford he's in over his head...worse than Renteria in terms of wilting under the spotlight of a big market.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Do NOT underestimate the Tampa Bay Rays....this is a solid team that will give the other clubs in the playoffs fits. I couldn't stay up to watch the rest of the games last night....I had to get up at 5am this morning but I wished I was able to watch just like I watched the Bruins collapse to the Flyers. It was so much more special the next year when the B's took it all.

Some say this is as big of a collapse as others I don't think so at all and in many ways the team will be the better after this diseasterious (I'm pretty sure that's spelt wrong) year.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    Well, I shut down my computer last night and watched the end of the games in bed, so I just want to say this once.

BAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Seriously though. That must suck. Lots of changes I am sure.
    Love it!

Orioles second baseman Robert Andino, after his game-winning hit: End of season like this, [to] make Boston go home sad, crying, I’ll take it all day
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Poncier wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    theo gone too?
    He should have plenty of time to follow PJ on the 2012 tour.
    Should be the first one canned....$142 million to Crawford and $82.5 million to Lackey.

Crawford should have caught that ball, they'd have probably lost in extra innings, but he played that thing like Timmy Lupus, except Lupus made the catch....and we're stuck with him for 6 more years? And he gets a $5.5million raise next season?? Worst free agent signing in baseball history by a mile, makes what Carl Pavano gave the Yanks look like tremendous return on investment.

Did you miss Adam Dunn's season.... :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Dunn was horrible, no doubt, but he signed for $56 mil over 4 years, Crawford signed for $142 mil over 7 years. 2.5 times the investment for very similar production, and the Red Sox are saddled with him 3 year longer than the White Sox have Dunn.
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Lets not forget about zambrano 5 yrs. 91 mil. Has to rank up there with the worst signings.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
    AaeBnhZCEAE6_NR.jpg

Oops. Wrong thread. Sorry about that.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    edited September 2011
    Hey, at least I won't be up until 1 or 2 in the morning watching baseball next week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... WaoZvWu6As

Greeny needs a punch in the throat because if it was his precious Jets he'd be crying like a fuckin child :lol:
    Post edited by Yellow Ledbelly on
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Poncier wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Dunn was horrible, no doubt, but he signed for $56 mil over 4 years, Crawford signed for $142 mil over 7 years. 2.5 times the investment for very similar production, and the Red Sox are saddled with him 3 year longer than the White Sox have Dunn.

i'll give the dollars were worse for crawford, but he did bat 255 vs. 159. both had 11hrs, crawford had better rbi and runs numbers. and played in the field..

i'd take crawford season over dunns
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Lets not forget about zambrano 5 yrs. 91 mil. Has to rank up there with the worst signings.
    But he was resigned by his own team, slightly different animal...and from 2008-2011 Z is 43-26, and his ERA was below 4 every year until this year. Definitely overpaid, but not a contract in the league of a Lackey, Pavano, K. Brown or the king of them all Crawford.
  • 81 wrote:
    Poncier wrote:
    81 wrote:

i'll give the dollars were worse for crawford, but he did bat 255 vs. 159. both had 11hrs, crawford had better rbi and runs numbers. and played in the field..

Dunn had perhaps the worst season any batter ever had. It's not even a valid comparison.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    81 wrote:
    Poncier wrote:
    81 wrote:

Had Crawford been the DH last night and Timmy Lupus or Adam Dunn been in left the game would have gone to extra innings.
    I'd love for the 2 Sox to trade Crawford for Dunn straight up.
    Dunn had perhaps the worst season any batter ever had. It's not even a valid comparison.

You see they didn't play him the last couple days so he wouldn't qualify for the batting title and have the lowest average in the history of the game for players that did?
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

You see they didn't play him the last couple days so he wouldn't qualify for the batting title and have the lowest average in the history of the game for players that did?

That's crap.

Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's crap.

Agreed. Dunn and Reyes with bushleague moves, just polar opposites.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The thing about Dunn that most people don't get (I'm guessing you do though) is it was always about his OBP. While he was hitting .230, .240 ... he'd walk so mch his OBP was near .400 for years.

But ... when you're hitting .160, you need to walk at Barry Bonds levels to make the OBP that high.

Hilarious that he sat out to avoid "worst batting avg ever" tag, I didn't know that.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I'm not gona rub it in, because that just seems mean right now, i just hope you guys don't fire Terry or Theo, that would be a retarted kneejerk reaction.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    edited September 2011
    I'm not gona rub it in, because that just seems mean right now, i just hope you guys don't fire Terry or Theo, that would be a retarted kneejerk reaction.

It won't happen.....I believe they both would the first to be fired being undefeated in World Series games.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

This team isn't about kneejerk / sports radio influenced moves.

The won 91 games after going 2-10 to start the season.

edited September 2011
    jimed14 wrote:

Someone has to take some sort of fall. That big of a payroll and new additions and they haven't won a playoff game since 2008. That's not acceptable. Not sure if it will be the big guys but I can't imagine no one is going to get the ax.

Edit: And I don't think it should necessarily be Francona. I read recently that the word around the league is that Boston: the team and players are not terribly concerned with conditioning and that's why they have so many injuries. Who knows how true that is and I am not sure how much of a shakeup firing a trainer is but it's an interesting point.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • jimed14 wrote:

That's what amazing to me. They had a stretch of 30 losses in 39 games if you combine the start and the September. Win two more games in April and we're not having this discussion. That is a further lesson about not screwing around in the early going, which often comes back to bite a team or in other cases creates too big of a hole to come out of.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i don't follow the bosox closely enuf but the lineup cards seem weird to me ... 3rd string catcher batting 5th ... lowrie hitting cleanup ... i would have had scutaro hit at the top and put ellsbury hitting second ...