Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    Where are you seeing this, I was just on Red Sox website, nothing there about it.

I like Tito, always have, but I know I was among the few who did

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... ed_so.html

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/ ... e-red-sox/

I think it's a little weak to use him as the scapegoat.
  • fired...
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Where are you seeing this, I was just on Red Sox website, nothing there about it.

I like Tito, always have, but I know I was among the few who did

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/ ... e-red-sox/

I think it's a little weak to use him as the scapegoat.

yes it is
  • I'm happy to see Francona go, not sure what's going on internally but he's a great manager and I'm glad the Yankees wont have to face him 18-19x a year.
  • fired...

If you had read the article he won't be fired. His contract is up and they are choosing not to pick up his options

Quite the difference. Personally I'd had to see him go, it's not his fault entirely that the Sox had a meltdown.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    apparently, it's this guy's fault ... :shock:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big ... lb-wp21403
    brother123 wrote:
    fired...

If you had read the article he won't be fired. His contract is up and they are choosing not to pick up his options

Quite the difference. Personally I'd had to see him go, it's not his fault entirely that the Sox had a meltdown.

Fired and having ownership decide not to pick up your option is essentially the same thing.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,147
    ESPN is saying that Francona told the owners he is leaving, not that he was fired.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    ESPN is saying that Francona told the owners he is leaving, not that he was fired.

Thats what the inital reports say and also that it will be a mutual agreement, but this article says its coming from ownership. He saw the writing on the wall and the best way to put it for him is that it was mutual.

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Not picking Terry contract is a No Class move, the Red Sox were a running joke until '04, the lack of loyalty is sickening. On the other hand if you pick you Bobby V, you won't miss Terry for long.

bobby-valentine.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,920
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    the old "you can't fire me, cuz I quit!" I think I've used that line too :lol:

he was a fine mgr, but perhaps it was time to go.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Oh and sounds like an awesome clubhouse atmosphere you have there.

So far it's gods fault, national TV's fault and lots of complaining about the bus service to games.

Oh and it sounds like none of them really like each other. I am curious who that applys to.

Any bets on who was drinking in the clubhouse during the games. Lackey has to be #1.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,675
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

So far it's gods fault, national TV's fault and lots of complaining about the bus service to games.

Oh and it sounds like none of them really like each other. I am curious who that applys to.

Any bets on who was drinking in the clubhouse during the games. Lackey has to be #1.
    Word is that Youkilis has been a big problem this year.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The bad ol' days of 25 players, 25 cabs ... I remember them well.

You know who they need to get the clubhouse back in their happy space?

open-uri_crop_340x234.22416
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    Poncier wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not suprising. If his value wasn't so damn low, I wouldn't have been suprised to see them try and move him this year.
    jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The bad ol' days of 25 players, 25 cabs ... I remember them well.

You know who they need to get the clubhouse back in their happy space?

open-uri_crop_340x234.22416

:lol: Nothing like a guy who beats up old clubhouse attendants to cheer the place up.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,147
    imalive wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    the old "you can't fire me, cuz I quit!" I think I've used that line too :lol:

he was a fine mgr, but perhaps it was time to go.

:lol: that was my initial feeling too but I gave Francona the benefit of the doubt lol.

On another note, I am heading to Boston this weekend and ready to drink my sorrows away with the baseball fans there (I am a Braves fan- dont ask how being that I am a New Yorker lol).
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    Poncier wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

kevin+youkilis+masshole.jpg

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    Thoughts on Francona Jimed?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'll always like Tito, he kept Manny happy and producing enough to win two rings. But if Francona decides to leave, so be it. Managing the Sox has done to him what the presidency has done to Obama, just worn him the fuck out. Can't blame him if he needs a break.

If this is mgmt's decision, that's too bad, it appears to be a bit short sighted ... but perhaps they are thinking he's just not as in to it as he was, or, we just don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

• jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'll always like Tito, he kept Manny happy and producing enough to win two rings. But if Francona decides to leave, so be it. Managing the Sox has done to him what the presidency has done to Obama, just worn him the fuck out. Can't blame him if he needs a break.

If this is mgmt's decision, that's too bad, it appears to be a bit short sighted ... but perhaps they are thinking he's just not as in to it as he was, or, we just don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

obama will be joining him on the unemployment line real soon
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Fair enough, and no doubt you guys like him, 2 rings after a lengthy drought to say the least. Definitely understandable if it's his decision and I am sure it's a pain in the ass (although incredibly fun) job, especially if players were complaining about things like the bus.

Very true and I definitely agree. I don't think it would be a great idea, but true that no one knows whats going on.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,675
    jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

obama will be joining him on the unemployment line real soon
    Throw in Deval Patrick and now we're talkin'.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Jesus christ. That statement is brutal. What a bunch of bitches those players are.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    I keep hearing all this shit from the media, students, in-laws, etc. about Pink Hat Fans right now. Do you guys really want them to go away? Isn't it their consumptive practices that are funding your player purchases (as poor as they have been), and stadium upgrades (as corporate pandering as they may be)? Do you really want to go back to who was going to games from the late 60s-early 00's? You guys might be hitting a key moment in selloutdome....do you become everyone's favorite team outside of the yanks and have a (very-semi) diverse, bandwagony fan base that helps you be competitive by purchasing stupid shit like RSN Cards, DestiNations, team gear, tix, etc., or do you go back to the days of Jack Clark signings, and Ken Griffey Jr., Marquis Grissom, Barry Bonds, David Justice, and others having it written in their contracts that they cannot be traded to Boston? Think on that one.

By the way, as much as I grew to hate the team over these past few years, Tito was a great leader for you guys and it's gonna be tough to not see him in the dugout. Especially when Theo ditches out for the Cubs after hiring a 24 year-old to manage for you guys.
  • http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... lb-wp21679

hmnnnnnnnnn something is wrong with this ad.....can't put my finger on it though????? :lol::lol:
  • Terry-Francona-Flexing-Shirtless.jpg
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Poncier wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

When I was in Toronto, I went to a Blue Jays game and they have the studio for Rogers Sportsnet in the stadium beyond the left field wall. While I was walking past, I discovered that someone with the Rogers Sportsnet crew doesn't think too highly of Youkilis, at least based on this photo:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/215577 ... 8024XRCyYk
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Thanks for the memories Tito... :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: You will be missed... :cry:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,920
    Terry-Francona-Flexing-Shirtless.jpg
    party at your place? :wtf:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11