Boston Red Sox

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    polaris_x wrote:
    i don't follow the bosox closely enuf but the lineup cards seem weird to me ... 3rd string catcher batting 5th ... lowrie hitting cleanup ... i would have had scutaro hit at the top and put ellsbury hitting second ...

It really speaks to the lack of depth this team had.

You think back to the world series years ... guys like Mark Bellhorn, Dave Roberts, Mainkeiwicz making the move for Orlando Cabrera ...not stars, but veterans ... this year the Sox were depending on rookies like Reddick, Levarnway and a cast of other unknowns. That's only going to work for so long.

The patchwork pitching staff didn't help much either.

Again, team still won 91 games ... they'll be back next year.

Should be interesting to see how badly the Sox end of the season plays with Ellsbury's MVP chances.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

what a bunch of nuts :lol:

too many night games???? :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    For a guy coming from San Diego, it makes sense that this is a huge adjustment. All the nationally televised games.

He still had a fantastic season ... so, it didn't seem to affect him that much ... but when you try and buy a team like the Sox did this year, all these new parts, it's going to take a while to gel and get used to the ways of playing in a huge market, I'm sure many new Yankees have felt the same way.

But you're asking a guy to summarize something moments after it happened in a one line quote, tough to be answering those questions when you just come off the field. It certainly wasn't the reason they tanked.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    All will be well for the Sox and just like the weather today it's Sunny Skies down here in South Florida. Have a great day people. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,675
    g under p wrote:
    All will be well for the Sox and just like the weather today it's Sunny Skies down here in South Florida. Have a great day people. :D

Peace
    Conversely its raining here in Boston.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    It's been hot as balls in San Fran ... and I'm doing the whole work from home thing as I've got the post PJ Canada tour nasty cold ... perfect day to stay at home and watch all the ESPN talk shows! :lol:

• I still cannot believe what happened
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    I still cannot believe what happened

neither can i....both Boston & Atlanta completely collapsed. it made for a great night of baseball, but i feel bad for those cheering for BOS/ATL. then again, i'm an Astros fan....so this whole season has been a wash! :lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

This reminds me of Superbowl 42.

The Pats lost and while I was bummed, it went away pretty quickly. Probably because they had won three times and more importantly, I don't live in Boston anymore.

If you're surrounded by the media and the fans talking about it 24-7, it's always there, always being talked about ... and there is a lot more build up. ESPN is showing all the talk radio in Boston this morning, man, I don't miss those lugnuts (both the people on air and the callers they choose to let on air).

I've been in Canada, where I've seen more pre-season minor league hockey over the past two weeks than baseball ... and here in SF, no one is talking about it today. Pretty easy to not get too worked up about it.

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,799
    How long have you been a sox fan?

This feels nostalgic to me, like the good ole days.

Seriously, this is what you have to expect with the sox. At least thats my thought process after being a fan for so long (Hint-I saw rod carew play at fenway).
  • DragonsAfter3or4DragonsAfter3or4 Bluegrass Posts: 332
    LMAO @ the Chowda flameout in September!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    jimed14 wrote:
    For a guy coming from San Diego, it makes sense that this is a huge adjustment. All the nationally televised games.

He still had a fantastic season ... so, it didn't seem to affect him that much ... but when you try and buy a team like the Sox did this year, all these new parts, it's going to take a while to gel and get used to the ways of playing in a huge market, I'm sure many new Yankees have felt the same way.

But you're asking a guy to summarize something moments after it happened in a one line quote, tough to be answering those questions when you just come off the field. It certainly wasn't the reason they tanked.

I hear you man, It is just a contrast in what was said. He had a great year so it didn't hurt it but come on. You make millions because you are on Boston, night games and late nights go with the territory.

Defintely tough to take what a guy says at face value minutes after such a disappointing end to the season. Can't complain about night games though.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,920
    81 wrote:
    Poncier wrote:

Crawford should have caught that ball, they'd have probably lost in extra innings, but he played that thing like Timmy Lupus, except Lupus made the catch....and we're stuck with him for 6 more years? And he gets a $5.5million raise next season?? Worst free agent signing in baseball history by a mile, makes what Carl Pavano gave the Yanks look like tremendous return on investment.

Did you miss Adam Dunn's season.... :lol:
    what is this??? east coast bias?? my boy zito has got to still be in this discussion :lol:

I will not get on my boston buds but, I must say, something changed with how I viewed the sox....they were once lovable (even when winning) but their "wicked awesomeness" grew old. sorry guys, but I loved how their season ended.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

I will not get on my boston buds but, I must say, something changed with how I viewed the sox....they were once lovable (even when winning) but their "wicked awesomeness" grew old. sorry guys, but I loved how their season ended.

Aw c'mon ... I pulled for the Giants ... but then ... first, you snake my cab in Vancouver ... and now this!

Oh Rob ... what has happened to us???

:lol:

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    BTW....I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but I want to say CONGRATULATIONS to the Tampa Bay Rays. That team certainly earned their way into the playoffs and it going to be tough for whomever is playing them.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

imalive wrote:
    what is this??? east coast bias?? my boy zito has got to still be in this discussion :lol:

You are quite correct sir, Zito belongs in the mix...maybe there's an Alyssa Milano factor, cause after her, Zito Pavano and Penny were never the same.
    Poncier wrote:
    imalive wrote:

You are quite correct sir, Zito belongs in the mix...maybe there's an Alyssa Milano factor, cause after her, Zito Pavano and Penny were never the same.
    was barry with her?.....cuz I suspect he's gay :wtf:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    jimed14 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Aw c'mon ... I pulled for the Giants ... but then ... first, you snake my cab in Vancouver ... and now this!

Oh Rob ... what has happened to us???

:lol:
    I know, I know. I feel bad about it.....but as I have learned with norm and the philly guys....who you root for doesn't make you a bad person. fucked up, maybe, but not a bad person :lol:

you're still the man.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Poncier wrote:
    imalive wrote:

was barry with her?.....cuz I suspect he's gay :wtf:
    He is on the large list of past paramours of Samantha Miceli. (Unfortunately I am not on that list)
  • Get_Right wrote:

Since the day I was born. Saw my first game April 86, sitting behind home plate with my Dad. You know, this type of shit was commonplace before 04. I guess I felt we had turned the page on misery and frustration.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Get_Right wrote:

Since the day I was born. Saw my first game April 86, sitting behind home plate with my Dad. You know, this type of shit was commonplace before 04. I guess I felt we had turned the page on misery and frustration.
    Thats what Im saying. This is how it normally happens with the sox. I am only amazed when they actually win a playoff series. To be a sox fan is to enjoy a competitive team during the year only to have any hopes dashed come fall. I still dont believe they actuall won two world series-its surreal.
  • Get_Right wrote:
    ]
    Thats what Im saying. This is how it normally happens with the sox. I am only amazed when they actually win a playoff series. To be a sox fan is to enjoy a competitive team during the year only to have any hopes dashed come fall. I still dont believe they actuall won two world series-its surreal.

Oh gimme a fuckin' break. The tiniest violins are playing just for you guys.
    Get_Right wrote:
    ]

Oh gimme a fuckin' break. The tiniest violins are playing just for you guys.
    why would I need violins
    that doesnt make any sense
    me thinks you might have missed the point
    Looks like Francona is out. Sounds like it was his decision.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Overrated anyway.

Rumblings of Bobby V. That'd be different.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Overrated anyway.

Rumblings of Bobby V. That'd be different.

Yeah, I would agree. Managers in general are overrated.

That would be interesting. Bobby V is about as good of a baseball guy as there is and probably knows as much about the game as anyone on the planet but I'm not sure that'd be the best move. Not sure how well he would work with a front office like that. I'm all for it then.
    And now it's starting to sound like it is not entirely his decision and that it's coming form ownership.
  • Where are you seeing this, I was just on Red Sox website, nothing there about it.

I like Tito, always have, but I know I was among the few who did