Boston Red Sox

Comments

• jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    force-10 wrote:
    I mean remember the infamous red sox - yankees brawl back in 2003? Was it 2003? Or was it the year the sox won? Can´t remember.

Was it ugly? yes. Is it part of the game? not actually, but this type of shit happens in baseball. So what! For me, it is actually entertaining. And we love it. Wich is why espn shows it every time they have a chance.

I was at the game....Fenway was crazy...shame we lost that one!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    :lol: Varitek forgot to take his mask off against the ump yesterday as well!
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    For all the folks that said Ortiz was done ... looks like he's got quite a bit left in the tank.

Two months in and he's got some pretty stunning numbers. Not necessarily in the power category, but his contact rate is through the roof.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    After the ugly win yesterday, it was good to see a simple 1-2-3 in the 9th from Bard today.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    It'll be sad to see the Athletics go. I'm back to being happy about this team.This road trip is big.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,714
    You guys took a high school catcher in the draft. Think he's starting at Yankee stadium tomorrow? :lol::lol::lol:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    You guys took a high school catcher in the draft. Think he's starting at Yankee stadium tomorrow? :lol::lol::lol:

Dude, I am ready to suit up behind the plate.

That said ... Last 31 days ...

Avg - HR - RBI

Varitek .317 - 2 - 7
    Saltalamacchia - .286 - 5 - 11

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Dude, I am ready to suit up behind the plate.

That said ... Last 31 days ...

Avg - HR - RBI

Varitek .317 - 2 - 7
    Saltalamacchia - .286 - 5 - 11

hahaha

Could be much much worse, let's see it hold up though.
    oh no doubt. they will both be hitting under .250 at season's end.

But, with that offense, they don't need them to hit too much.

Again ... it's almost ALL on the pitching.

jimed14 wrote:

Definitely true and for sure, it always comes down to pitching. Speaking of, Lester hasn't been great recently? I don't think I realized that and believe I read that somewhere today
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

Definitely true and for sure, it always comes down to pitching. Speaking of, Lester hasn't been great recently? I don't think I realized that and believe I read that somewhere today

He's been wild. The walks are killing him. Hopefully he can find his control.

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I remember facing Matt Barnes in high school during the state tournament.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Oh and as for drafting a catcher, (and honestly, I have no fucking clue who they drafted today) ... but, I'm guessing they drafted the best athlete and/or hitter, regardless of his high school position.

they may have ZERO plans to keep him at catcher.

jimed14 wrote:

And IMO that it all depends on three starting pitchers. Becket, Clay, and Lester. And if the bullben can hold on a decent number of games than it could be a great season.

But the offense has to pick up more. Pedroia is still slow on the numbers. Crawford is giving signs of life. But after being the hero of the day, its not unusual for him right now to go 0-5 in any game. He´s been getting better though. So that´s good.
    jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

He's been wild. The walks are killing him. Hopefully he can find his control.

Not tomorrow. ;)
    UPDATE, 9:29 p.m.: The Sox have taken catcher Blake Swihart, a high school player from New Mexico. He's a switch-hitter with a good approach at the plate. He is committed to Texas and will be tough to sign. But that has never been a problem for the Sox.

Swihart is the first catcher taken in the first round by the Sox since John Marzano way back in 1984.

Swihart was one of the best high school position players in the draft. He iis 6-foot, 175 pounds and has experience at third base and the outfield if catching does not work out.

UPDATE, 8:50 p.m.: The Red Sox took Matt Barnes, a Yankees fan who is now probably a big Red Sox fan.

A little profile on Barnes:

He turns 21 on June 17. ... He's 6-4, 205 pounds. ... Rests at 94-95 with his fastball. Good curveball with a developing changeup as his third pitch. ... He is 11-4. 1.62 in 16 starts this season. 116.2 IP, 71 H, 31 BB, 111 K. Opponents hit .177 against him.
    Papi´s carreer over?

Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz took home American League Player of the Week honors with a .545 average (12-for-22), four doubles, two home runs and six RBIs in a six-game stretch over the week that ended Sunday.

Ortiz, in his 15th year in the big leagues and last of his current contract, was strong for the entirety of May, hitting .342 with 10 home runs as Boston made a charge at first place in the AL East. Ortiz hit back-to-back homers on Tuesday and Wednesday at Fenway Park against the White Sox, both games Boston lost. On Friday, Ortiz opened a three-game series with the A's that the Red Sox swept with a pair of hits -- his fifth consecutive multi-hit game at home, and a career-long stretch. He has 17 multi-hit games in his last 28 games, a stretch that dates to May 5. Ortiz carries a six-game hit streak into a series with the Yankees that starts Tuesday after an off day Monday. The 35-year-old has taken home an AL weekly award five times, but before Monday, hadn't done so since August 2007.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/wsfb/new ... _id=120074

Its only 1 week, but his numbers this year are looking good. Tough decision for the red sox as to keep him or letting him go. The season has a long way to go still.
    I mentioned Ortiz on the last page ...
    jimed14 wrote:
    For all the folks that said Ortiz was done ... looks like he's got quite a bit left in the tank.

Two months in and he's got some pretty stunning numbers. Not necessarily in the power category, but his contact rate is through the roof.

He's kind of reinvented himself a bit.

For the better part of his career, he had about a 80% contact rate (meaning, he struck out 20% of the time) ... over the last two years, those numbers dipped to 75% in 2009 and 72% in 2010 ... this fade in contact rate hapens to aging sluggers.

But, this year? He's at 88%! Taken a little off the swing as the power is down a bit ... but wow, the eye appears to be in tact. It's a stunning turnaround ... let's see if it lasts.

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Looks like Theo drafted well yesterday
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    lester´s hit two batters already? That dude is out of control. And we desperately need him to pitch real good. Especially this series.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    force-10 wrote:
    lester´s hit two batters already? That dude is out of control. And we desperately need him to pitch real good. Especially this series.

of course...all they do is hit us

skanks
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Jeter DH?

Posada such a flower girl, he doesn´t want to DH. Is that what it has come down to at the yankee clubhouse?
    Hey JIMED!!!

What were we posting about?

Y no, no no no no no!!!!! diganle que no a esa pelota!!!!!!

Big papi 2 run homer!!
    force-10 wrote:
    Jeter DH?

Posada such a flower girl, he doesn´t want to DH. Is that what it has come down to at the yankee clubhouse?
    He's played first in the past.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    force-10 wrote:
    Jeter DH?

True. But the yankees started the game with jeter on DH. Go figure.
    force-10 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    force-10 wrote:
    Jeter DH?

And Boston started the game with the brother of a pedophile at second. Go figure.

Too personal? yeah, too personal. Apologies.
    force-10 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    force-10 wrote:
    Jeter DH?

Give him time some fielding rest and get the younger players some innings played.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Give him time some fielding rest and get the younger players some innings played.

Or just give him a breather so he can play all 10 home games and try and get 3,000 at home.
    Newch91 wrote:

excuses, excuses. ;)
    6-3 now. Damn! Posada turned out better than whats his face.