Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,714
    Newch91 wrote:
    I don't think the rivalry will ever be like it was in the 70s.
    It got pretty heated in 03-04 if I remember correctly. Then again, I was drinking A LOT back then.

Yep, right around the same time your woman of a catcher got in a fight with a mask on.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    I don't think the rivalry will ever be like it was in the 70s.
    It got pretty heated in 03-04 if I remember correctly. Then again, I was drinking A LOT back then.

Yep, right around the same time your woman of a catcher got in a fight with a mask on.
    :lol: I love it how he's referred to as "a woman" despite the fact that the guy he fought has admitted to wearing lip gloss and slapped Red Sox players with his purse.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    :lol: I love it how he's referred to as "a woman" despite the fact that the guy he fought has admitted to wearing lip gloss and slapped Red Sox players with his purse.

haha. So if he was fighting a woman he shouldn't be too scared to take his mask off and make it a fair fight, right?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

haha. So if he was fighting a woman he shouldn't be too scared to take his mask off and make it a fair fight, right?
    I don't really have an answer to that one. I have argued with you before that it all happened so fast, Jason didn't have time to remove the mask. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't really have an answer to that one. I have argued with you before that it all happened so fast, Jason didn't have time to remove the mask. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Fair enough, and we have been over this multiple times. Not as much as the Ryan Howard debate in the Phillies thread but definitely more than once.
    It doesn't get any less fun arguing this stuff with you guys either. Amazing that it was 7 years ago.
    It doesn't get any less fun arguing this stuff with you guys either. Amazing that it was 7 years ago.

I know, good times. Thats insane. I cant believe this is Arods 8th year on the Yankees. Crazy.
    Bad news for Dice K.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Bad news for Dice K.
    Wakefield
    Aceves
    Bowden
    Kevin Millwood???

On a happier note, Chicken Saltalamaccia had a big hit finally last night as we blanked the Tigres 1-0 despite some amazing stuff from Phil Coke. 5 in a row with Joshy Beckett on the bump tonight. Oh yeah, and we have the Cubs coming to town this weekend. Train keeps a-rolling.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,343
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Bad news for Dice K.
    Wakefield
    Aceves
    Bowden
    Kevin Millwood???

On a happier note, Chicken Saltalamaccia had a big hit finally last night as we blanked the Tigres 1-0 despite some amazing stuff from Phil Coke. 5 in a row with Joshy Beckett on the bump tonight. Oh yeah, and we have the Cubs coming to town this weekend. Train keeps a-rolling.

Make your plans for the parade. ;)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110517&content_id=19210316&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=bos
    When last they met near the Back Bay Fens, they were not conscious of curses. The Billy Goat had not been born, and the Bambino was still in Boston. Fenway Park, in its seventh season, was not yet a sacred shrine, but rather, still had its shine. The home team had not yet spawned a Nation, and the visitors were not yet the enduring face of frustration.

It was Sept. 11, 1918, and the Sawx and Cubbies, as so many refer to them now, were merely the Red Sox and Cubs, two ballclubs thrust into the World Series by a suddenly shortened schedule and playing in front of few fans, as the Great War had cast a pall over the national pastime.

The last out of Game 6 was a routine grounder to second off the bat of Les Mann. It rolled into the glove of Dave Shean, who tossed to Stuffy McInnis at first.

With that, the Red Sox were, quite quietly and unceremoniously, champions.

"No hero was proclaimed," the following day's New York Times would note, "no player got a ride on anyone's shoulders, no star was patted on the back or madly cheered to a niche in baseball's temple of fame."

And for that matter, "Dirty Water" did not blare from the in-house sound system, as it does after Red Sox home triumphs in the present day. Rather, as would be noted in the following day's Chicago Tribune, "Taps" would have been an appropriate selection. With the world at war, attendance down and tensions between players and owners high, baseball was expecting to enter an indefinite hiatus.

So much has happened to alter perception of that Fall Classic in the time since. World War I, as it came to be called, ended that November, and baseball, like the rest of the country, carried on. As the years evolved, the Cubs and Red Sox became mystically linked, both in terms of their historic homes and their woeful ways. And in more recent years, questions have arisen as to whether the fix was in when the 1918 World Series was played.

In the wake of 1918, the Red Sox would not finish higher than fourth place for 20 years and would not finish first for 28. Famously, they would not win it all again until 2004, an 86-year drought.

And the Cubs? Oh, brother. It was their second World Series loss in nine years, and they'd go on to lose five more in the next 27 years. Even more famously, they haven't been back, let alone won one, since 1945, the same year another World War ended.

On Friday, as the game plunges back into Interleague Play, the Cubs and Red Sox renew acquaintances. Not for the first time at all since 1918, mind you (they met at Wrigley Field for an Interleague series in June 2005), but for the first time in Fenway since that day when the Red Sox unknowingly started the clock on their own championship drought while prolonging that of the Cubs.

"We owe them one," Cubs reliever Kerry Wood said with a laugh.

This weekend's action will end what is easily the longest time between appearances for any team in any ballpark. And the deep (if not always divine) histories and passionate fan bases of these two clubs make this an eye-catching component of the 2011 calendar.

"The Cubs and Red Sox," said John Thorn, the official historian for Major League Baseball, "were, for a long time, joined at the hip as baseball's most glorious losers. Or certainly the most cursed."

Those curses created a connection, however perverse. And just because the Red Sox drought has given way to a deluge, in the form of two World Series titles in the past seven years and almost-annual contention for another, doesn't mean Boston fans can't have some measure of empathy and appreciation for Cubs fans. (Or so one would hope. After all, any lingering vitriol over the Cubs delivering Bill Buckner to Boston should have dissolved in 2004.)

But while the sheer rarity of this rendezvous is noteworthy, its arrival has had the unintended effect of spreading a scandal.
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    Great read FF.

The red sox are the hottest team as of today: last 10 games (8-2). 6 W in a row.

Cubs are 4-6 in the last 10 and have won their last 2 games.

All of this means nothing tomorrow, of course.

Thank the lord of baseball espn2 will be broadcasting this game in latinamerica! And the sunday night game as well!

Go Sox!

Becket out with a neck injury? Hope its not too serious. :(
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
    Kevin Millwood and Franklin Morales....come on down!!!!!
    I am not fond of the red sox signing ex yankee players. But, what the hell. I am excited about Morales though.
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Going olddddd school on Saturday night:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... orts_links
    "The uniforms will be made of the same 100% polyester material as the teams' current Major League uniforms."

it doesn´t count if its not made of the material it was originaly made of back then! ;)
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Not a good day for Boston teams to be holding leads yesterday ... :?
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    jimed14 wrote:
    Not a good day for Boston teams to be holding leads yesterday ... :?

i feel bad for bostonians
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    when i heard the news of a 9-3 loss i blamed aceves. Then i saw the box score. What a way to end the winning streak!

bostonians must not be entirely sad. Revolution won 1-0 !
    Wake's knuckler was dancing last night. Loved to see that. And I thought for sure there was gonna be a brawl last night. While Wake was killing the Cubs last night, they did a little knuckleballer retrospective, and I found myself thinking Wake has another 2-3 years left in him.

Back to playing actual MLB players tonight as we get Cleveland and Detroit this week. I expect Buckles to dominate tonight.
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Thanks for hosting us Cubs fans over the weekend. Had a blast at Fenway and in Boston. That city is awesome and Red Sox fans are hands down the best/ hard core fans in baseball, and I don't even think it's close. The "Fenway" experience blows the "Wrigley" experience out of the water. Was at the game Friday night and a guy behind me started talking about buying tickets to some concert in WI. I asked him what show, assuming he was talking about PJ and he was. Pretty crazy. Seeing Pappelbon come in was pretty cool as was seeing balls fly over the monster. Fun times, would love to go back sometime. Saw a "Lebron went South, but his mom rides West" shirt, CLASSIC!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    Damn! It was a great game of baseball. How important is Pedroia, i wonder.... sutton fails to grab the groundball. It was hard, but I believe pedroia would have made it.

Good news is that he is ok!
    pureoc wrote:
    Thanks for hosting us Cubs fans over the weekend. Had a blast at Fenway and in Boston. That city is awesome and Red Sox fans are hands down the best/ hard core fans in baseball, and I don't even think it's close. The "Fenway" experience blows the "Wrigley" experience out of the water. Was at the game Friday night and a guy behind me started talking about buying tickets to some concert in WI. I asked him what show, assuming he was talking about PJ and he was. Pretty crazy. Seeing Pappelbon come in was pretty cool as was seeing balls fly over the monster. Fun times, would love to go back sometime. Saw a "Lebron went South, but his mom rides West" shirt, CLASSIC!
    :D So happy you had a fun time in our wonderful city and ballpark.

Dear God, please let Dustin's foot be ok.
    Nice win tonight. Beckett looked great. Varitek finally hit a home run and Rich Hill did his job in the 7th and 8th. It's tough to win in Cleveland. Noon start tomorrow.
    Hero of the day: the cappy! I love this guy! Even if my dad keeps telling me the team should have got rid of him long time ago.

Great news, pedroia will play tomorrow!
    Passing Tampa on the left....
    We're up 9-0 in the 4th inning? Cleveland's the best team in the AL, huh? Looks like there's a new sheriff in town and his name is Carl Crawford.

Maybe this is the beginning of the tailspin for the Tribe. Bring on the Tigres for 4 this holiday weekend.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Looks like there's a new sheriff in town and his name is Carl Crawford.

So, y'all be cool now, ya hear?

Right on!
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    Looks like there's a new sheriff in town and his name is Carl Crawford.

So, y'all be cool now, ya hear?

Right on!
    :lol:

Let the good times roll jimed!
    I think the bats have finally arrived for this season...hey, and CC too.