Boston Red Sox

Comments

• force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    The circus was in fenway today in the bottom 9th!
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    force-10 wrote:
    The circus was in fenway today in the bottom 9th!

No doubt. Paps might draw a suspension, but the home plate umpire egged him on. Game should have been over an hour ago if it weren't for Pedroia's error.

What's painful, as it's an Oakland game, I being in the bay area am forced to only receive the Oakland coverage. While I don't normally mind these guys (Glen Kuiper and Ray Fosse) ... their overjoyed reaction to the A's comeback made me want to puke.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    we got the W. whew! Unreal game. What a day for crawford.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,714
    Honestly, how do you guys cheer for a bitch like papelbon? That must suck
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I say the same thing about you guys and Paul O'Neill.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I say the same thing about you guys and Paul O'Neill.

True, but at least O'Neill was good.

O'Neill was like Youk, both complain way too much but are good. Papelbon just isn't good enough to act like that.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Papelbon just isn't good enough to act like that.

:lol::lol::lol:

Compared to.....? What are you talking about, man? Oh, wait. Rivera is entitled to do that, even though he doesn´t, but it´s ok for him to do it cause he´s good enough (for you). What a load of crap!
    force-10 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Compared to.....? What are you talking about, man? Oh, wait. Rivera is entitled to do that, even though he doesn´t, but it´s ok for him to do it cause he´s good enough (for you). What a load of crap!

I perfer nobody put on that display , but If you are going to act like a 12 year old girl, at least back it up with a little bit of game.
    Its all part of the game. I only wonder what you would say about a yankee doing a stunt like that. Oh, wait. Someone did it already this year and it wasn´t a young lad like pap. Your beloved catcher.
    force-10 wrote:
    Its all part of the game. I only wonder what you would say about a yankee doing a stunt like that. Oh, wait. Someone did it already this year and it wasn´t a young lad like pap. Your beloved catcher.

Acting like a bitch is part of the game? Who knew?

Posada didn't do it in the public eye and is a much different situation. Dude is one of the best offensive catchers ever and is on a fast decline. I don't approve of what posada did but you can't really compare the two.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    force-10 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I perfer nobody put on that display , but If you are going to act like a 12 year old girl, at least back it up with a little bit of game.

I rail on Papelbon because he's a bit of a roller-coaster ride of late ... but, these stats say he's been backing up for over 5 years.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... jo01.shtml

You know I really don´t want to complain here, but it was you that called it acting like a bitch. Is that what you call it when a ton of coaches do it almost everyday. The yanks had a hilarious coach that did that back in the 70´s (?). Some players as well. They are all bitches in your book?

And posada. Don´t give me that crap. Of course you can´t compare these two events. Posada is much worse. Public or not public (it became public you know), he deserved a punch in the stomach.
    jimed14 wrote:
    I rail on Papelbon because he's a bit of a roller-coaster ride of late ... but, these stats say he's been backing up for over 5 years.

Papelbon has been borderline terrible since he blew that game against the Angels in the playoffs. I didn't realize he was so good in 2009 but he has been pretty bad the past year. We'll see. Plus he's gone next year anyways, right?
    force-10 wrote:
    You know I really don´t want to complain here, but it was you that called it acting like a bitch. Is that what you call it when a ton of coaches do it almost everyday. The yanks had a hilarious coach that did that back in the 70´s (?). Some players as well. They are all bitches in your book?

And posada. Don´t give me that crap. Of course you can´t compare these two events. Posada is much worse. Public or not public (it became public you know), he deserved a punch in the stomach.

I don't know. Coaches and players are different. For players, play the game and go home, if you fail, own up to it like a man.

Like I said, I don't approve of the Posada situation but you can't compare the two, dudes career is on the line in one, it's completely different. He handled it poorly but the dude was basically told his career is over and came to the realization himself, that can't be easy for a player that good.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

Papelbon has been borderline terrible since he blew that game against the Angels in the playoffs. I didn't realize he was so good in 2009 but he has been pretty bad the past year. We'll see. Plus he's gone next year anyways, right?

Did you even look at this year's numbers? He's been way better than 2010.

jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

Did you even look at this year's numbers? He's been way better than 2010.

Until today though, Baseball-Reference doesn't update until tomorrow, right? I am sure that will take quite a hit, no?
    But I do agree with cliffy that papelbon should not be in the team next year. But i am no gm, so what do i know. Bard has been awkard all season.
    About to go throw some shit on the grill. Gonna be a fun season, should be a three team race here on out. Plus both teams will be competing for pitching on the trade market. WIll be fun.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Until today though, Baseball-Reference doesn't update until tomorrow, right? I am sure that will take quite a hit, no?

So, one game ruins a season? and to be honest, there was a double play ball that Pedroia let go right past him. You can't assume the double play so the runs were eanred, but the game should have been over in the 9th.

Those runs were Pedroia's.

jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

So, one game ruins a season? and to be honest, there was a double play ball that Pedroia let go right past him. You can't assume the double play so the runs were eanred, but the game should have been over in the 9th.

Those runs were Pedroia's.

Not saying at all that it ruins the season overall but it's going hurt those stats you posted, big time. I did see the Pedroia play, that was bad.
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/blog/boston/re ... ump-umpire

Papelbon's ejection was the first of his big-league career. He said he has never been ejected at any level, amateur or pro.

"That inning was the culmination of a lot of things, man,'' he said. "Some bloop hits, just a lot of stuff that went on that inning that just boiled and boiled and boiled and kind of exploded for me. Do I wish I could have handled things a little better? Yeah, I do.''

"I don't have any concerns. I'm not worried about it. I'm out there competing, man. I can't do anything about that. The league's going to come down on me the way they want to, whether they believe me or not, but I wasn't trying to maliciously bump him or anything. I haven't looked at the replay or anything. I haven't looked at any of the pitches I threw. It's all in the past.''

Umpiring crew chief Brian Gorman told a pool reporter he did not have any comment because the umpires had not yet filed their report.

"We believe that Joe Torre wants us to reserve all comments and questions should be directed to the league,'' Gorman said.

As executive vice president for baseball operations, the position to which he was named this winter, Torre is in charge of on-field discipline.

If its up to Joe Torre, Pap is looking for a year suspension! :lol:
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    One thing I'll say about Papelbon and every player/coach/manager that has done it past and present: don't be an idiot and bump the umpire.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Or pick up the base and throw it across the right field while kicking dirt into the ump´s feet! :lol:
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    force-10 wrote:
    Or pick up the base and throw it across the right field while kicking dirt into the ump´s feet! :lol:
    :lol: Lou is famous for that.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    I mean remember the infamous red sox - yankees brawl back in 2003? Was it 2003? Or was it the year the sox won? Can´t remember.

Was it ugly? yes. Is it part of the game? not actually, but this type of shit happens in baseball. So what! For me, it is actually entertaining. And we love it. Wich is why espn shows it every time they have a chance.
    force-10 wrote:
    I mean remember the infamous red sox - yankees brawl back in 2003? Was it 2003? Or was it the year the sox won? Can´t remember.

Was it ugly? yes. Is it part of the game? not actually, but this type of shit happens in baseball. So what! For me, it is actually entertaining. And we love it. Wich is why espn shows it every time they have a chance.

This should be fun...

Fenway and myself have had many discussions on this topic if you go back through this thread. Basically what it comes down to is that your catcher can't fight without a mask and therefore loses all credit. Yep, Arod smacked someones hand, we got that, but at the end of the day your catcher started fight with a mask on
    The way I see it, when you really want to start a fight with someone in a split of a second and you have a catcher mask on, you tend to forget this sort of thing. It happened way fast!
    Plus, rodriguez´s first face reaction was like he was gonna piss his pants. That´s how I recall it.....
    haha, I have gone back and forth on this many o' times. Dude shouldn't have been walking down the line with his mask on in the first place. Take it off if fighting is even an option.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    The Varitek-Arod debate rages on!

They won today. That's all that matters.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925