Boston Red Sox

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    My how things change...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring200 ... id=3916048

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... nditures/1

This will hopefully change over the next 24 hours or so though.

i think the Red Sox have discovered, Winning is Profit.
  • for $142 million he better play whiffle ball if they ask him to though
    What are they gonna do, bench him? He gets paid either way.
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Boston's offense is going to be better, but aren't they essentially replacing two good hitters with, well, two good hitters? (I mean, Carl Crawford obviously has more going for him than just his bat, but I'm just saying.)

Victor Martinez signed with Detroit and, if I'm not mistaken (and I could be), isn't Adrian Beltre now most likely going to leave?
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    My how things change...

THEIR THE EVIL EMPIRE...WAAAAHHHHH
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    My how things change...

Get it RIGHT will ya....*THEY ARE THE EVIL EMPIRE*...... :lol:

I'll report from Spring Training in Fort Meyers in March and let you know how evil THEY ARE! :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    g under p wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    My how things change...

I'll report from Spring Training in Fort Meyers in March and let you know how evil THEY ARE! :D

Peace

WAHHHH bunch of biatches
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    g under p wrote:

Peace

WAHHHH bunch of biatches

If you are going to post in a Red Sox thread at the very least get it right will you please Laker fan! :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• tickets to some games went on sale today. got mine for april 16th. ill be the drunk in the cheap seats :lol:
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    tcaporale wrote:
    Boston's offense is going to be better, but aren't they essentially replacing two good hitters with, well, two good hitters? (I mean, Carl Crawford obviously has more going for him than just his bat, but I'm just saying.)

Victor Martinez signed with Detroit and, if I'm not mistaken (and I could be), isn't Adrian Beltre now most likely going to leave?

Last season the Sox had the 2nd best offense in Baseball. They did lose Beltre and Vmart, but Crawford and Agone should be better, or at least equal.

Last year we had major injuries to CF, 1B, C, the other CF and 2B.

So even if we just remained as good as we were, we should be one of the best offenses in baseball. We had already lost Beltre and Vmart, so these acquisitions were just what we needed.
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Finally, something to get excited about for next season!!! Yay!!!

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • as a Yankee fan, I have to say, 2 phenomenal pickups. 2 of my favorite players in baseball. And as an Adrian Gonzalez owner in a rotisserie keeper league, I'm over the moon. 5 years from now, these deals may be starting to look bad, but for the next 3-4 years at least, I think they'll both be perennial MVP candidates. I'd worry a bit about gonzalez moving from the best climate in America with noone paying attention to NorthEast baseball, into the cold fishbowl, but only a bit. I believe he'll be fine and thrive. Crawford on the other hand, I only worry about as a Yankee fan. At least for the first few years. once he hits 33-35 and the legs start to go, that';s another story. One to worry about in 2016. still need to upgrade that pitching though. I wouldn't be surprised if they swap papelbon for a starter and some bullpen help and make Bard the closer, now or mid-season
    as a Yankee fan, I have to say, 2 phenomenal pickups. 2 of my favorite players in baseball. And as an Adrian Gonzalez owner in a rotisserie keeper league, I'm over the moon. 5 years from now, these deals may be starting to look bad, but for the next 3-4 years at least, I think they'll both be perennial MVP candidates. I'd worry a bit about gonzalez moving from the best climate in America with noone paying attention to NorthEast baseball, into the cold fishbowl, but only a bit. I believe he'll be fine and thrive. Crawford on the other hand, I only worry about as a Yankee fan. At least for the first few years. once he hits 33-35 and the legs start to go, that';s another story. One to worry about in 2016. still need to upgrade that pitching though. I wouldn't be surprised if they swap papelbon for a starter and some bullpen help and make Bard the closer, now or mid-season

Need some bullpen help.

Our Rotation should be solid.

Lester 3.24 era 1.202 whip 19 wins and 225 K's and
    Buchholtz 2.33 era 1.203 ship 17 wins

Are legit #1 and #2 guys at the top.

Beckett had a terrible year, but I like our chances with him as our 3rd starter.
    Lackey also didn't live up to expectations, but I think he is a solid #4 guy and eats up the innings.

DiceK, Wake, and a couple young guys to fill out the 5th spot.

Of course I would like to upgrade and make Beckett the fourth guy and Lackey the fifth starter, but if we don't do anything I think our pitching will hold up.

Now back to the bullpen.
    Yhings are looking real good and I'm excited to see them in Fort Meyers for Spring Training.

Peace

• wish spring training was tomorrow!
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
    'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the Nation,
    Sox fans were still stirring from the Gonzo-Crawford celebration;
    Red Stockings were hung in third place just last year,
    Now the hope is the Yankees have a view from the rear

Our GM was nestled all smug in his bed,
    While visions of a bullpen plum danced in his head;
    And Werner in his ascot, and John taking a nap,
    They're both so run-down from all this Liverpool crap

When over at Fenway there arose such a clatter,
    Did Jacoby get traded? Is there a tweet on the matter?
    Away to Yawkey I flew like a flash,
    Snuck under a gate and paid an usher with cash;
    The Citgo sign on the breast of the 4-day-old snow,
    Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below

When, what to our wondering eyes should appear
    But New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys must be near
    With a little plump maestro, so lively with knack,
    I knew in a moment, Charles Steinberg was back

More rapid than eagles new relievers they came,
    Tito whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;
    "Now, Wheeler! now, Miller! now, Albers, Atchison!
    On, Doubront! on Bobby! on, Bardsy, Papelbon!
    Will Pap last as the closer? A committee the call?
    Is Jon going away? He wants more pay! Say goodbye in the fall!"

No more bridge for your Red Sox, limit is the sky
    Store-bought team full of All-Stars, Lester might win the Cy;
    With a stud at first base, Youk on the corner at third
    Laser Show back at second, injuries cured for this herd

And then, in a twinkling, he strolled to the mound,
    The prancing and pawing of this hard-throwing hound,
    Laying his fingers aside of the seam,
    No more blisters... Stan’s Rodeo Cream
    He threw out his hand, tight belly twisting around,
    Down toward home plate, the ball took off with a bound;

He spoke not a word, just continued to work,
    He went into his windup; didn't act like a jerk,
    His eyes—how they twinkled! His dimples how merry!
    His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!

He threw like the old Rocket, so lively and quick,
    I knew in a moment, Beckett had the old kick;
    His heater’s mid-nineties, the curve ball has bite,
    Let’s mark him down for a win every fifth night!

And nice to see Dice-K, looking so fit and trim
    Japan's National Treasure found his way to a gym
    Lackey showed up real early, Marco's ready to play
    Even Lowry is healthy, well, for now anyway

Living up to the hype, A-Gon hit the ball high,
    'Tek grinded away, Youk slugged hard line drives;
    Cam's the rare righty, Carl Crawford! in left,
    Catching could be a problem, unless Salty is deft;
    Papi had the old stroke back, when he hit ‘em they flew,
    They all batted around, even J.D. Drew!

The crowd sprang to their feet, to the team gave a whistle,
    Jacoby circled the bases, Clay threw another missile;
    A new year is upon us and our Olde Towne ballclub,
    "We've got Crawford and A-Gon! PENNANT FEVER GRIPS HUB!"
    ...with apologies as always to Clement Clarke Moore and Henry Livingston, Jr.
    Merry Christmas, Boston Dirt Dogs

Peace

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    It's days like today I wish the boys at Fire Joe Morgan were still doing their thing. This has to be one of the worst pieces of journalism I have ever read. How does this man have a job? I don't think there is one ounce of logic in this entire thing.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/01/2011-red-so ... story.html
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    It's days like today I wish the boys at Fire Joe Morgan were still doing their thing. This has to be one of the worst pieces of journalism I have ever read. How does this man have a job? I don't think there is one ounce of logic in this entire thing.

How can this guy ignore the 1998 Yankees when he listed those other teams?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That was a pretty ridiculous article. I think the Sox will be good, but 1927 Yankees good? I think not.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I see some games are on sale right now. Anyone know when the other games on the schedule go on sale?
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    With Spring Training less than a month away, I figured a thread bump was in order. Just got my Spring Training tickets in the mail this week. I got tickets to the following games:

Red Sox @ Twins 2/27
    Phillies @ Red Sox 3/3
    Marlins @ Red Sox 3/5
    Orioles @ Twins 3/6
    Rays @ Red Sox 3/22

Since we moved down here last June I've been anxiously awaiting the start of Spring Training. Wish we could have gotten tickets to more games, but our budget only allows so many games. Go Sox!
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Can't wait to get this thread going again after a crazy winter.

This story got me excited. Adrian's gonna be a special player in Boston.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=6104723
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I'm getting psyched about this season!!! :thumbup: Hell Yeah! ;)

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • bring it on!! can't wait for the season!!

Am i the only one who downloaded the Red Sox Countdown app?? :D
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Am i the only one who downloaded the Red Sox Countdown app?? :D
    My buddy's got it. I dont have a cool phone to allow me to get it.

Our bullpen? Yeah, its pretty good.

Papelbon, Jenks, Bard, Wheeler, Okie

We might need another lefty in there, but our bullpen should be solid regardless.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Heading out there in May to watch my Cubs get crushed by your Red Sox. Never been to Boston or Fenway. Looking forward to spending my bday weekend out there.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    pureoc wrote:
    Heading out there in May to watch my Cubs get crushed by your Red Sox. Never been to Boston or Fenway. Looking forward to spending my bday weekend out there.

Fun times. Boston is great..... I'm also looking forward to a WI weekend.... hopefully!
  • Wilds wrote:
    pureoc wrote:

Fun times. Boston is great..... I'm also looking forward to a WI weekend.... hopefully!
    Are the Brewers in town during PJ20 weekend? Maybe a Thursday night PJ fest at Miller Park?

Back to the Sox...Pedroia's back and feeling great!
    http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110211&content_id=16618772&vkey=news_bos&c_id=bos
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Wilds wrote:
    pureoc wrote:

I'm sure hoping so. Alpine Valley is awesome.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,659
    2b- pedroia
    lf- crawford
    3b- youkilis
    1b- gonzalez
    dh- ortiz
    ss- lowrie
    rf- drew
    c- saltalamaccia
    cf- ellsbury

maybe?
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV