Boston Red Sox

Comments

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    All due respect Cliffy, of course. At least you offer some thoughtful analysis when poaching the Sox thread.

It would be shortsighted of Yankee fans to dismiss the Sox with 2 months left. You'd think 2004 would serve as a lesson to NEVER overlook us.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    I understand the faulty nature of Lackey this season, and I know nobody is scared of Dice, but he's won big games in the playoffs before, so I don't think he should be overlooked. You're right, we don't know what we'll get from Joshy, we'll have a better idea after tonight, but this kid has always been big and I expect him to have 11-12 strong starts before October. Buccholz is a question mark but he's clearly entered a new level this year. And Lester, well...nobody can say anything bad about Lester. He is the rock.

I personally think Lester might be the best pitcher in baseball, not a stretch but I would take him over anyone not named Felix I think. They are all capable of pitching a big game but you guys need some more consistency. Beckett could be a huge help but it's no sure thing. You guys have been killed with injuries this year, no doubt.
    All due respect Cliffy, of course. At least you offer some thoughtful analysis when poaching the Sox thread.

It would be shortsighted of Yankee fans to dismiss the Sox with 2 months left. You'd think 2004 would serve as a lesson to NEVER overlook us.

I am not dismissing the Red Sox at all but 7 games is a lot to make up on a team like the Yanks in 2 months, Rays are the team you guys are chasing. If they get to the playoffs we wont see each other till the ALCS so there is a long ways.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

:( , ok how's this for analysis, sometimes it's your year and sometimes it aint, all these injuries is god's way of saying, it aint your year. Same thing happened to the Yanks in '08, all you can do is batten down the hatches and wait for next year. And then good things will come.
    KOYOURASS wrote:
    :( , ok how's this for analysis, sometimes it's your year and sometimes it aint, all these injuries is god's way of saying, it aint your year. Same thing happened to the Yanks in '08, all you can do is batten down the hatches and wait for next year. And then good things will come.
    I hear ya. I respectfully disagree.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I am not dismissing the Red Sox at all but 7 games is a lot to make up on a team like the Yanks in 2 months, Rays are the team you guys are chasing. If they get to the playoffs we wont see each other till the ALCS so there is a long ways.
    7 games is not that much with so many head-to-head series remaining. That's half the deficit the Yankees overcame in 78 to beat the Sox. :( Sad but true.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Come on Fenway you can't talk about the Yankees until they catch the Rays.
    The Sox are three games behind the Rays right now...that is the team they worry about.
    They are 3 and 2 on this west coast trip and Lester is going today.
    Take it one game at a time.

I wish Kevin Cash would just strike out in three pitchers instead of trying to hit...double plays really hurt.
    ....and Bill Hall can hit, but should never play 2nd base or SS again this year.
    Come on Fenway you can't talk about the Yankees until they catch the Rays.
    The Sox are three games behind the Rays right now...that is the team they worry about.
    They are 3 and 2 on this west coast trip and Lester is going today.
    Take it one game at a time.

I wish Kevin Cash would just strike out in three pitchers instead of trying to hit...double plays really hurt.
    ....and Bill Hall can hit, but should never play 2nd base or SS again this year.
    Okay, okay. Fair enough. Sometimes I have grand illusions about how good this team really is (or can be). But shit, I needed to stir the pot somehow. This thread was on page 4! We are better than that, Greg Kite. And we're not about to roll over to some so-called Empire. Also, you read my mind with the Kevin Cash thing. He is just super-awful. We need Vic back STAT!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    sox have a great team
    but injuries have killed them
    they are lucky to be where they are-while the rays and yanks are just getting better as the season rolls on
    Im afraid there will be no playoff baseball in boston this year
    DAMN YOU OKIE!!!!!!!!!!
    DAMN YOU OKIE!!!!!!!!!!

+1 :cry:
    :shock:
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Get_Right wrote:
    sox have a great team
    they are lucky to be where they are-while the rays and yanks are just getting better as the season rolls on
    You're forgetting 2004! ;) Never say Never!

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    Get_Right wrote:
    sox have a great team

+1 It can Happen!!! probably won't, don't mind me, i'm the eeyore of boston
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Get_Right wrote:
    sox have a great team

please get some new memories...jeez :roll:

p.s..not catching us or the rays this year
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Get_Right wrote:
    sox have a great team

please get some new memories...jeez :roll:

p.s..not catching us or the rays this year
    I didn't say they were going to definitely win the World Series, but they can turn it around this season if players can people can come back from the D.L. healthy.. :shh:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    It's been the elephant in the room for three years. Do I care as much as I did? I think about this question constantly. The short answer? No. It can't mean as much. It will never mean as much. Before 2004, rooting for the Red Sox wasn't about just sports. It was about mortality. It was about a ticking clock that only we could hear. It was about exchanges like this:

"Jimmy's dad died last weekend."
    "That's terrible! How old was he?"
    "Sixty-five."

... and how you'd immediately add 1918 plus 65 and realize, "Crap."

Jim Rogash/WireImage
    The high from the epic 2004 season wasn't going to last forever.

Nobody wanted to live a full life, then die, without seeing the Red Sox win a championship. Cubs fans know what I mean. So do Vikings fans, Indians fans, Maple Leafs fans ... only the true sufferers know. This wasn't just about liking sports. That "Jimmy's dad" mortality hung over everything. It was the reason we snuck away from wedding receptions to see whether the adjoining hotel bar had a television. It was the reason we hated the Yankees so much that we actually could taste the poison forming in our mouths. It was the reason we prayed Ted Williams would save us, then Carl Yastrzemski, then Lynn, then Jim Rice, then Clemens, then Mo, then Nomar Garciaparra, then Pedro Martinez, then Manny Ramirez. It was the reason that, any time a bad break happened in Fenway, everything went dead silent, as if someone was bombing with a best man's speech.

I think this is on the money. There's no motivation now, there's nothing to prove.
  • Very well put. Those poor Vikings fans. :lol:
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Fun Jarrod Saltalamachia fact: he married his high school gym teacher. True story.
    Fun Jarrod Saltalamachia fact: he married his high school gym teacher. True story.

I think you meant.

Fun Jarrod Saltalamachia fact: He stinks.

Kidding, that is pretty funny though.
  • Add Youkilis to the infirmary.... this story is getting old now.
    Shelly Duncan would beat the piss out of Beckett. That would have been awesome.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Shelly Duncan would beat the piss out of Beckett. That would have been awesome.

notice they always throw at people when things are bad...then they get upset when people throw back

punks i tell ya
    amd_backpage.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    amd_backpage.jpg

dam the crickets are out :lol:
    I hate to kick them while they are down but come October...

fenway-park.jpg
  • ITS NOT OVER! 6 game lead the first week of August is not that much. We'll see what happens this weekend. I'm feeling good about tonight.
    ITS NOT OVER! 6 game lead the first week of August is not that much. We'll see what happens this weekend. I'm feeling good about tonight.

Even your owner says you need a miracle. Losing Youklis hurts. No incredibly short or incredibly ugly man makes your lineup much easier to navigate.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    Wow. Kicking the tires on Delgado? Things must really be getting desperate.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    ITS NOT OVER! 6 game lead the first week of August is not that much. We'll see what happens this weekend. I'm feeling good about tonight.

Even your owner says you need a miracle. Losing Youklis hurts. No incredibly short or incredibly ugly man makes your lineup much easier to navigate.
    I think Lowell has a tiny bit of magic left in him. Things will start meshing when Ellsbury starts getting hot again.