Boston Red Sox

Comments

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    jimed14 wrote:
    Congrats to Angels fans. it must feel good to get the better of the Sox for once.

This team just didn't have "it" for whatever reason and they were beaten by a better team. My heart wants Papelbon gone because he flirted with disaster all season until finally ending the season. my head knows that i can trust Theo to do what's needed.

I bemoaned Papaelbon's struggles all year long in this thread, but, let's remember, he's still dirt cheap.

I'm waiting for Sox fans to turn on him and try and run him out of town and make Bard the closer.

But, c'mon, let's not forget, the Sox offense didn't do shit in the first two games. That seems more of a concern.
    Sox fans run someone out of town...NEVER!
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Papelbon aint that cheap. he was 6.25 Million this year and I read on SOSH that he's expected to get 10 million next year.

I was more pissed and ready to turn on him because he had been doing this all year. Plus the cowboy act gets old. I felt like he screwed up this whole year by ditching the splitter and trying a new arm slot to make free agency more rewarding due to health. (Yes he should care about his health, on the other hand Theo would have paid him a high salary for a long term deal than included a free agent year buyout)

Masterson had nothing to do with it. They don't get to the postseason without VMart.

In 2009, he made 6.25M .. yes ... but look at some of the other closers, just saying for 2009, he was a bargain.

nathan 11.25
    lidge 12
    rivera 15
    wood 10
    k-rod 9.17

anyway ... papelbon wasn't the issue ... nor was it the loss of Masterson, who, we got V-Mart in return for, and have him thorugh next year @ $7M.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    Papelbon aint that cheap. he was 6.25 Million this year and I read on SOSH that he's expected to get 10 million next year.

I was more pissed and ready to turn on him because he had been doing this all year. Plus the cowboy act gets old. I felt like he screwed up this whole year by ditching the splitter and trying a new arm slot to make free agency more rewarding due to health. (Yes he should care about his health, on the other hand Theo would have paid him a high salary for a long term deal than included a free agent year buyout)

Masterson had nothing to do with it. They don't get to the postseason without VMart.

In 2009, he made 6.25M .. yes ... but look at some of the other closers, just saying for 2009, he was a bargain.

nathan 11.25
    lidge 12
    rivera 15
    wood 10
    k-rod 9.17

anyway ... papelbon wasn't the issue ... nor was it the loss of Masterson, who, we got V-Mart in return for, and have him thorugh next year @ $7M.
    Is the issue the elephant in the room...a very big girl drug using elephant that was a hitting savant? Hopefully it'll be the Dodgers vs. the Yankees in the WS this year so it can be referred to as the Steroid Series starring A-Rod and Manny.
    if you mean ortiz ... just say it.

and form the end May on, he was pretty good. People seem to want to remember April and think he was awful for the entire season, which, is wrong.

He's getting older, no doubt .. but, it was the whole team failed to score in those first two games in Anaheim, not just ortiz.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    No I was actually referring to Manny, Ortiz was just fine for his age this year. Jason Bay was good, but didn't strike fear into the hearts of pitchers the way Manny did.
  • Manny wasn't the reason teh Sox couldn't hit. He went missing in the playoffs before as well. 2005 The last time we were swept. In fact he was good OBP but rarely as fearsome as Ortiz in the playoffs. Last year without Manny they go 7 games deep in the ALCS.

This team needs better defense, another bat, and a stable #5 starter. Things aren't that bad. it just sucks for it to be over.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
    I guess it's just since he's been gone you haven't filled his shoes at the plate. But I think your assessments are fair looking forward.
  • RW81233 wrote:
    I guess it's just since he's been gone you haven't filled his shoes at the plate. But I think your assessments are fair looking forward.
    So true, but you really can't fill his shoes. Unless we steal Mauer or Pujols.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993

Masterson was a really good middle reliever... Tito had said it a number of times...

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • I loved Masterson. I love sinkerball pitchers. i just think that the deal was a good one, and the main failure of this team was not missing Masterson.
    RW81233 wrote:

Manny had become a cancer and would not have been doing what he's doing had he stayed in Boston. And can you imagine the circus if Manny got the 50 game suspension while still in Boston?

Over that time period Bay has outperformed Manny (again, 50 game suspension) ... the deal had to be made.

oh i agree with you on getting rid of manny, and Bay may have outperformed him, but if all things were even Manny is better than Bay. Not having his bat hurt for sure.
    It's just a sad ending that had such a promising start in the first half of the season, and yes we do need a pitcher and a batter that will strike fear with other teams, another Pedro and Manny....

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    RW81233 wrote:

If Pujols could be stolen than would be the greatest steal ever. Pujols can hit to the opposite field right? The Manny trade had to be made, I've met Manny in Spring Training 2007 and he IS the nicest guy. It's just that his time in Boston had run it's course. We need a few more power hitters and another pitcher any likely choices out there?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    g under p wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

If Pujols could be stolen than would be the greatest steal ever. Pujols can hit to the opposite field right? The Manny trade had to be made, I've met Manny in Spring Training 2007 and he IS the nicest guy. It's just that his time in Boston had run it's course. We need a few more power hitters and another pitcher any likely choices out there?

Peace
    Why would Pujols need to hit to opposite field when he could just crush them over the Monster? BTW, yes, he can hit to opposite field and I'd LOVE to see him in a Sox uniform but I don't ever see the Cards letting him get away.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    Why would Pujols need to hit to opposite field when he could just crush them over the Monster? BTW, yes, he can hit to opposite field and I'd LOVE to see him in a Sox uniform but I don't ever see the Cards letting him get away.

Let's just end any and all discussions about Pujols. It seems silly to even discuss.

As for the Monster, I'm convinced it takes away more line drive home runs than it gives cheapy home runs.

Granted, it's nice to have the wall there to bounce doubles off all day.

Be intersting to see if they make an offer to Bay, I assume they will.

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I think they'll definitely make an offer to Bay but I'm not sure if he's worth the money he'll be asking for. His swing has a lot of flaws in it. Sure he hit 36 homers, a .921 OPS and drove in 119 runs but he also set a career mark with 162 Ks and had the second lowest average of his career at .267. I just don't know if there's going to be a better LF option out there unless we can get Holliday who I would gladly welcome.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

I would take Holliday too, but the Sox are going to be in trouble scoring wise next year unless they discover another "Papi" or people heal up real quick. I love Bay, but he isn't worth the money.

Unless you consider the fact that there is no one else available and that makes him WORTH the money.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    adam42381 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

It was early this morning when i posted this on my way out to work and afterwards I had no time to reply. I realized Puhols could hit a ball through the Green Monster and no need to have to hit the other way even though I know he can. Anyway all wishful thinking after such a dissappointing end to the season.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Please just stay away from Matt Holladay, he was horrible in the AL for Oakland. He's a product of the NL or at least having the best player in baseball today hitting behind him.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Varitek back for another year.
    I'm Ok with this.
    A real classy guy.
    Varitek back for another year.
    I'm Ok with this.
    A real classy guy.
    Plus One! ;):mrgreen: Now we need some GREAT pitching!!! :thumbup:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    So ... the Sox have ...

Picked up the option on V-Mart.
    Had Tek pick up his option.
    Resigned Wakes
    Made an offer to Jason Bay (still pending)
    and traded for Jeremy Hermida ... untapped potential?

The only thing I've seen that's a tad out there thus far ... rumors that the Phils are looking at the possibility of acquiring Mike Lowell.

jimed14 wrote:
    So ... the Sox have ...

Resigned Wakes

The only thing I've seen that's a tad out there thus far ... rumors that the Phils are looking at the possibility of acquiring Mike Lowell.
    That sucks losing Lowell. I wish we could have the same kind of options we had back in "2004"... we practically had two teams within one... ;):)

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    jimed14 wrote:
    So ... the Sox have ...

Resigned Wakes

That sucks losing Lowell. I wish we could have the same kind of options we had back in "2004"... we practically had two teams within one... ;):)

Well, the Lowell thing is a rumor ... and I think if that happened, the Sox would make a serious push to get Adrian Gonzalez from the Padres and move Youk back to 3rd ... which is a huge upgrade for the team. huge.

• If the Phils want a DH in the NL they should trade for him. I love Lowell, but I doubt he'll ever get back to being a mobile 3rd baseman. He is just fighting to gain back any range next year. If the Sox get anything of value for Lowell it opens up possibilities. They can search for a big bat for 3B, LF, or a 1b then. They will need at least 1. Probably 2.

I think Theo is going to get creative this year, but aside from Gonzalez I am not sure where the creativity will come from.
  • beckett got his binky back :roll: there's three million dollars that couldve been used on something else...
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Im just glad Vtek is on for one more year. It sucks that VMart is catcher but BUT what Vmart brings to this team is hitting. Vtek is a great guy and knows his shit. With his old ago in baseball terms he's not a big hitter obviously but still one of my favorite players.

The resigning of Wakefield however has me pissed. He's good but not that good. Beckett? cmon. . . he's blown more games than Dice K when. . when Dice K wasn't being a pussy
  • I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
    I'd love to get to a Spring Training game next year!!! :mrgreen: I'm getting pretty psyched about the up and coming season!!! :thumbup:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad