Boston Red Sox

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Saw a rumor that the Mets were looking at a Luis Castillo for Mike Lowell swap. The deal doesn't really make much sense for either team though you could place Lowell at first and infrequently at third to give David Wright a day off. I can't see what the Red Sox would do with Castillo since they have Pedroia. The only thing that makes sense is that the money matches up on both players.

If Mike Lowell could play first, the Sox would have played him there and moved Youkilis to third last year.

Lowell's played only 4 or 5 games at first in his career.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • jimed14 wrote:
    Saw a rumor that the Mets were looking at a Luis Castillo for Mike Lowell swap. The deal doesn't really make much sense for either team though you could place Lowell at first and infrequently at third to give David Wright a day off. I can't see what the Red Sox would do with Castillo since they have Pedroia. The only thing that makes sense is that the money matches up on both players.

If Mike Lowell could play first, the Sox would have played him there and moved Youkilis to third last year.

Lowell's played only 4 or 5 games at first in his career.

I figured as much, that's why it made little to no sense other than the matching salaries.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    OK jimed, you're an expert on both teams....

How does Adrian Beltre rate $10M for .265, 8 HR and 44 RBI while Juan Uribe gets $3.25M for .289, 16 and 55? :wtf:

both are 30 years old. I'll grant you, Beltre is the better glove. Still....
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

How does Adrian Beltre rate $10M for .265, 8 HR and 44 RBI while Juan Uribe gets $3.25M for .289, 16 and 55? :wtf:

Let me start by saying I'm not Theo Epstein ... so, not sure why I got annointed the defender of a move I'm not super excited about ... but, I'll give it a whirl.

First, Juan Uribe is not a third baseman. He may have played some games at third, but, he's not a third baseman.

Your HR and RBI numbers are a bit skewed as Beltre played hurt last year.

Also, Uribe's .289 is probably a bit inflated as, he didn't hit above .250 for the 4 years previous to that.

Hurt year aside, Beltre's OBP is consistantly 25 - 35 points higher than Uribe.

I think Beltre has more power upside moving from Seattle to Boston.

And yeah, the defense.

Neither player is great.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,662
    Plus lets not forget Beltre's .179 career Avg. at Fenway.
    Theo loves his "run prevention" lineup. Planning on winning games 1-0 only.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    edited January 2010
    jimed14 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Let me start by saying I'm not Theo Epstein ... so, not sure why I got annointed the defender of a move I'm not super excited about ... but, I'll give it a whirl.

First, Juan Uribe is not a third baseman. He may have played some games at third, but, he's not a third baseman.

Your HR and RBI numbers are a bit skewed as Beltre played hurt last year.

Also, Uribe's .289 is probably a bit inflated as, he didn't hit above .250 for the 4 years previous to that.

Hurt year aside, Beltre's OBP is consistantly 25 - 35 points higher than Uribe.

I think Beltre has more power upside moving from Seattle to Boston.

And yeah, the defense.

Neither player is great.

The scary thing about Beltre is that his slugging precentage has declined each of the last 3 years. Fangraphs thinks Beltre is worth $10 mil or more, i don't necesssarily agree but I rely on fangraphs for a lot of stats.

Kind of crazy Beltre's OBP is 25-35 points higher than Uribe since Beltre is far from an OBP guy. I think .325 career. Not all that great.

I did see that Ellsbury is being moved to LF for Cameron in CF. Definitely the right move. While Ellsbury can be flashy he is far from a solid CF at this point in his career. Red Sox are definitely going to have a solid defense and good rotation, I just don't see that offense getting them anywhere.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Oh, and I hope Henry does not try and cry poor this offseason. What a jackass

How about the MT curse?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

How about the MT curse?

MT curse? Manny Trade?

jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

How about the MT curse?

MT curse? Manny Trade?

Mark Teixiera.

After Boston went up 8-0 (I believe) he did this. Referring to that Boston thought they were close to a deal with Tex and didn't get him.

http://twitter.com/John_W_Henry/status/2126014978
  • no offense?

ellsbury, pedroia, youk, martinez, papi, drew?
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Mark Teixiera.

After Boston went up 8-0 (I believe) he did this. Referring to that Boston thought they were close to a deal with Tex and didn't get him.

http://twitter.com/John_W_Henry/status/2126014978

Oh ... well, read my quote to get a feel on how I feel about curses.

no offense?

OPS+ (last season)
    Ellsbury: 96
    Pedroia: 110
    Youk: 145
    Martinez: 127
    Papi: 101
    Drew: 133

Jeter: 132
    Johnson: 122
    Tex: 149
    A-Rod: 147
    Granderson: 100
    Posada: 133
    Cano: 129

Those are some fairly big differences. Not saying they don't have a good offense, I just don't think that offense can get it done.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    no offense?

OPS+ (last season)

Those are some fairly big differences. Not saying they don't have a good offense, I just don't think that offense can get it done.
    yeah but if our pitching stays healthy we wont have to rely on our offense as much. sure, i'd kill to have holliday or gonzalez but i think we can win the division and if not then definetly the wild card.

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    no offense?

OPS+ (last season)

yeah but if our pitching stays healthy we wont have to rely on our offense as much. sure, i'd kill to have holliday or gonzalez but i think we can win the division and if not then definetly the wild card.

Yeah, Bostons pitching staff is solid, and a very very good top 3. Both teams have good staffs though. It is going to be a fun season.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    no offense?

OPS+ (last season)

And like I said yesterday as a Yankees fan I love the Beltre signing because adding A-Gon to that lineup would make it really fucking scary.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

And like I said yesterday as a Yankees fan I love the Beltre signing because adding A-Gon to that lineup would make it really fucking scary.

It's going to happen, just not before the season.

• jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It's going to happen, just not before the season.
    i see it happening too.

• The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Thank you for Bay...
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • The Champ wrote:
    Thank you for Bay...
    your welcome. hope he does well in new york. youll hear Alive everytime he steps to the plate.

• The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    The Champ wrote:
    Thank you for Bay...
    your welcome. hope he does well in new york. youll hear Alive everytime he steps to the plate.

Are you shitting me?? He really comes out to 'Alive' each at bat? I doubt it..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • The Champ wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    Thank you for Bay...

Are you shitting me?? He really comes out to 'Alive' each at bat? I doubt it..
    swear to god man. 2 years back in 08 i was at a sox/indians game and bay came out to alive and sean casey came out to even flow. it was awesome.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    swear to god man. 2 years back in 08 i was at a sox/indians game and bay came out to alive and sean casey came out to even flow. it was awesome.

Don't all Mets have to come out with Latin salsa music?? :shock: :lol::lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    imalive wrote:

Don't all Mets have to come out with Latin salsa music?? :shock: :lol::lol:
    :lol:

Anyway, I think the Red Sox have done pretty well this offseason.

Red Sox got the Yanks beat by an inch on pitching, but when it comes to hitting the Yankees are still the most formidable lineup.
    Sox come to terms with Paps, Ramon Ramirez and Manny Delcarmen.

All one year deals.

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    jimed14 wrote:
    Sox come to terms with Paps, Ramon Ramirez and Manny Delcarmen.

All one year deals.
    I'm happy with the short term deals. Hopefully Delcarmen will return to the form he showed in 2007-08.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I personally would love to see Pedro come back for this season and win another championship with the Sox, and retire here in Boston. I'm willing to bet he has one more good season left in him.. ;):mrgreen:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Play Fenway!!!!!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Guys, should we start fresh with a new thread for 2010?

I, for one, cannot wait for pitchers and catchers. Anybody else feeling the wintertime blues and craving some Orsillo and RemDawg?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    Guys, should we start fresh with a new thread for 2010?

I, for one, cannot wait for pitchers and catchers. Anybody else feeling the wintertime blues and craving some Orsillo and RemDawg?

I like it just as it is that way we can go back find what we what without much effort.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Guys, should we start fresh with a new thread for 2010?

I like it just as it is that way we can go back find what we what without much effort.

Peace

I concur.