The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Big loss.

INJURY NEWS: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren on (D) Andrej Meszaros: "Andrej had successful surgery this morning to repair a torn right achilles tendon. The surgery was performed by Dr. Steve Raikin at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia. Andrej was injured last week during summer training in Slovakia. Andrej will be out indefinitely."

:fp:

that blows
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Big loss.

INJURY NEWS: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren on (D) Andrej Meszaros: "Andrej had successful surgery this morning to repair a torn right achilles tendon. The surgery was performed by Dr. Steve Raikin at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia. Andrej was injured last week during summer training in Slovakia. Andrej will be out indefinitely."

hate to see that

you guys are dangerously thin on defense
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Well theres another $4M or so to be put on LTIR.

Pronger gone, Carle and now Mez.
    Thats a lot of experience lost on the blue line.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    you guys might have to get held hostage for any decent d-man
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Yandle???
    Go Birds!!!!
    Danny B back to Buffalo????
    Go Birds!!!!
    Danny B back to Buffalo????
    Why?
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    so another guy gone for a while.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403040

this is just getting messed up
    fife wrote:

not much of a loss
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    81 wrote:
    fife wrote:

not much of a loss

Just not much depth on the blue line is all.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    true....but he didn't much last year. i'd rather see a young guy come up than Lilja out there.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Wayne Simmonds extended:

TSNBobMcKenzie: Wayne Simmonds has agreed to 6 year extension with PHI. Not sure on precise AAV but hearing it's around $4M per year.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    Wayne Simmonds extended:

TSNBobMcKenzie: Wayne Simmonds has agreed to 6 year extension with PHI. Not sure on precise AAV but hearing it's around $4M per year.

Awesome!

Hard to think of a guy that was more quickly embraced by the Flyers fan base.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Wayne Simmonds extended:

Awesome!

Hard to think of a guy that was more quickly embraced by the Flyers fan base.

yeah, I like simmonds. glad they locked him up.

all this lockout talk is annoying. with all the injuries on the blue line a delayed start to the season probably wouldn't be a bad thing.
    hope he can play defense

although their isn't gonna be a season regardless
    although their isn't gonna be a season regardless

i think there will be some sort of season...maybe not a full season, but a season none the less
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    3.84-3.97mill is a very good price for Simmonds,good job Homer!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
    3.84-3.97mill is a very good price for Simmonds,good job Homer!!!!
    It will be even less once the salary rollback occurs in the new CBA. Then it will prob settle around $3M/per.
    There are some scary possibilities to be forthcoming in the new CBA: Such as,

The NHLPA’s proposal contains a three-year term for a new CBA with an option for a fourth year. Notably, the proposal contains a measure which would result in the players receiving a reduced proportion of HRR (hockey-related revenue) resulting in increased revenue sharing which could be as much as $250 million per year, assuming the financial growth of the NHL continues at the pace in which it has grown since 2005. This, Fehr and the NHLPA proposes, will create a “more stable industry” in the NHL.

As Jeff Marek of Sportsnet wisely notes, this concession by the players will end up pitting the owners against one another. Instead of this being a wholesale issue of “players versus owners”, the players are essentially saying, “We’ll back out of this debate and proverbially ‘take one for the team’. Now that there is going to be more money in the pool, you owners need to sit down and discuss amongst yourselves how that revenue is going to be split up.” As one might imagine, big market clubs are none-too-enthusiastic about footing the bill for player salaries on small market clubs.

Put bluntly, it would mean that the Flyers would end up helping a team like the Predators pay for Shea Weber’s $110 million contract.

Regarding the salary cap–another contentious issue–Fehr stated to reporters that a “hard” salary cap would remain in place with “a couple small exceptions”. John Shannon of Sportsnet has announced that part of the NHLPA proposal includes the option for teams to “trade” cap space. While unspecific on exactly what this means, the impression I get is that, for example, Team X can trade $2 million in cap space to Team Y for a player or players. Team Y would then be in a position to exceed the salary cap by $2 million while Team X acquires the players and has their salary cap reduced by $2 million. The amount of money in the pool would be the same; it would simply be redistributed differently. This may also explain what Fehr meant by there being a “hard” cap with “a couple small exceptions”.

Larry Brooks of the New York Post clarified the issue of “trading cap space”. He explains that teams will be allowed to go as high as $4 million above the salary cap ceiling and $4 million below the cap floor. Furthermore, the proposal contains provisions for additional draft picks given to smaller market teams to do with as they please (develop, trade, “sell” for cap space) :evil: .Yeah, lets help the small market teams some more. UNREAL. The NHLPA has also proposed a limit on non-player spending on teams.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    I have a problem with the Networks who won the "bid" for the US broadcast rights to the NHL funding one of its teams. Seems like a windfall from everyone and a conflict of interest.

Without revenue sharing, the league cannot sustain itself. There are about 6 teams who make a lot of money mostly due to their media market. Fan support does not mean all that much. There are teams who can sell out every game, but cant get out of the red unless they make it to the Conference Finals. We cant go back to 6 teams bidding on every star player, while the other markets get an assortment of scrubs and hopefully make a run every 5, 10 years or so. It is great when every team has a collection of stars and we dont see a $140 million dollar payroll vs a $35 million dollar payroll. Not only that, people in growing markets that cant afford good players will lose interest.
    Half the league (at least) would fall into obscurity or disband completely.

It has worked in the NFL and helped grow that league to mammoth proportions. There is an emphasis on developing and keeping good players, while complimenting them with the right FAs. Its a lot better than just a race to outspend everyone else and remind us what is wrong with sports.

The best way I can see it, is revenue sharing, grow all 30 teams, increase the TV footprint and corporate involvement. That way the bottom teams will be more and more profitable. They would also be more attractive to wealthy owners adding to the stability of the league, innovation, quality of facilities, etc.
    My opinion, if a franchise cannot sustain itself without riding the backs of numerous other teams for financial"help", then said franchise should either be disbanded or shipped to another locale with enough fan support to build and keep a healthy organization.

And now the league wants to possibly reward poorer teams with added draft picks and compensation. Screw that. It's just ridiculous. This is ugly.
    This is going to be owner vs owners and I can easily see a third lockout coming under Bettmans tenure.
    My opinion, if a franchise cannot sustain itself without riding the backs of numerous other teams for financial"help", then said franchise should either be disbanded or shipped to another locale with enough fan support to build and keep a healthy organization.

And now the league wants to possibly reward poorer teams with added draft picks and compensation. Screw that. It's just ridiculous. This is ugly.
    This is going to be owner vs owners and I can easily see a third lockout coming under Bettmans tenure.

i sort of disagree with this as not all markets are not built equally. if you take your stance, your are looking at NY, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Toronto and a couple others being able to support teams, while 2/3rd of the league move every 5-10 years looking for handouts.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    well, in fairness, that is the players' proposal which isnt close to what we will see.

The league cant sustain itself in places even where there is support. There are probably only 1 - 3 places remaining that there would be rapid support: Toronto/Ontario II, Quebec City, and maybe Seattle. If/When the Canadian dollar sinks, most of the Canadian teams will suffer (EDM, CAL, OTT, WIN, maybe VAN).
    Other than that, the next choices would be KC, Houston, OKC... ugh.

I just dont want to see the league revert back to Philly, Rangers, Detroit, and Toronto bidding on every decent player.

I understand your side too, being a fan of a big market team, but for 75% of the league it sucks ass. Buffalo sells out every game, sells a lot of merch, huge TV ratings, but still loses money.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    well, in fairness, that is the players' proposal which isnt close to what we will see.

The league cant sustain itself in places even where there is support. There are probably only 1 - 3 places remaining that there would be rapid support: Toronto/Ontario II, Quebec City, and maybe Seattle. If/When the Canadian dollar sinks, most of the Canadian teams will suffer (EDM, CAL, OTT, WIN, maybe VAN).
    Other than that, the next choices would be KC, Houston, OKC... ugh.

I just dont want to see the league revert back to Philly, Rangers, Detroit, and Toronto bidding on every decent player.

I understand your side too, being a fan of a big market team, but for 75% of the league it sucks ass. Buffalo sells out every game, sells a lot of merch, huge TV ratings, but still loses money.
    At least Buff now has an owner with some money in his pockets.
    Something needs to break here. Remember the last lockout, all us fans kept hearing was, ticket prices will be lowered, blah, blah.. It didnt happen.

The league is paying its players way too high a percentage of its total league revenue. Most of it is the fault of the owners really. This league isnt the NFL,NBA or MLB. Not even close.
    It sounds to me that in the NHLPA proposal, the players agreed to drop the percentage of their salaries(of the TLR). Salaries would roll back. Only if and when revenue increases, would salaries also begin to increase by a certain percentage. Sounds good to me.

A big help would be for the owners to finally lower these ticket prices. Unfortunately, they are prob afraid of losing team revenue. But this, combined with lower salary percentages, would definitely go a ways toward helping teams have better bottom lines. Lower tix= higher attendance= higher concessions, etc.

Then again, none of that matters to the teams that dont want to spend money to improve the on-ice product and build up the fan base. I cant stand the teams that hover around the cap floor, then bitch and moan when they arent successful and wonder why nobody wants to pay $60 per ticket to watch their crappy team. If an owner doesnt have the cash to field a competitive team and is looking for handouts, then the team should be relocated or disbanded IMO. Thats my biggest complaint. You already have the league handing money to Bettmans Phoenix Coyotes to stay afloat, because he wants to save face on his epic expansion plan that backfired.

Guess we'll find out what happens, but I'm not optimistic.
    Hartnell re-signed for 6 yrs

The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they have re-signed 6-2, 210-lb left wing Scott Hartnell to a multi-year contract extension, according to General Manager Paul Holmgren.

“We are pleased to announce that we have agreed with Scott on a multi-year extension,” said Holmgren. “Scott has been a very good player for us over the last five seasons and we look forward to many more good years to come.”

“I am very happy to be staying in Philly to continue my career playing in front of the best fans in the NHL," said Hartnell. "I would like to thank Mr. Snider and the entire Flyers organization.”

While I agree with you on this i don't see both the owners and the players agreeing to close teams down and I don't see the NHL agreeing to moving of the teams.

there is going to be a lockout and that is 100% certain. what i see happening is that the nhl and nhlpa will agree to a 50-50 split, I see UFA going up to 27 year old and a bit more in revenue sharing but not alot.

The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they have re-signed 6-2, 210-lb left wing Scott Hartnell to a multi-year contract extension, according to General Manager Paul Holmgren.

“We are pleased to announce that we have agreed with Scott on a multi-year extension,” said Holmgren. “Scott has been a very good player for us over the last five seasons and we look forward to many more good years to come.”

“I am very happy to be staying in Philly to continue my career playing in front of the best fans in the NHL," said Hartnell. "I would like to thank Mr. Snider and the entire Flyers organization.”

great signing but do we know how much the cap is. I am worried about them signing all these players when they really need to get some d-man.
    fife wrote:

great signing but do we know how much the cap is. I am worried about them signing all these players when they really need to get some d-man.
    Just read it is 6yrs/ $4.75 per
    fife wrote:

Just read it is 6yrs/ $4.75 per

thanks, its not showing on tsn here in toronto
    Sounds like the flyers made a strong offer for JayBo. Not sure what, but from what i read they liked it better then Det's offer.
    Go Birds!!!!