The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    The Fixer wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Either way I still doubt the flyers win the cup...need a real goalie.

Such a farce. since the lockout here are the cup winning goalies.

cam ward
    jean-sebastian giguere
    chris osgood
    marc-andre fleury
    antti niemi

nice try though. go hate somewhere else

With the exception of Niemi I'd pretty much take all of them over Bryzgalov and probably Niemi as well.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Either way I still doubt the flyers win the cup...need a real goalie.

Such a farce. since the lockout here are the cup winning goalies.

cam ward
    jean-sebastian giguere
    chris osgood
    marc-andre fleury
    antti niemi

nice try though. go hate somewhere else

With the exception of Niemi I'd pretty much take all of them over Bryzgalov and probably Niemi as well.

taking the Bryz contract into account I wouldn't argue that (hopefully there is an amnesty clause in the new cba). The guys above are far from superstars though and it's not out of the realm of possibility that bryz could put together a good enough stretch to win a cup. especially if the flyers get weber and end up with one of the best bluelines in the NHL.
    good info here. a trade sounds like the most realistic possibility

While the hockey world waits to see whether the Nashville Predators will match the Flyers' $110 million offer sheet to All-Star defenseman Shea Weber, a pair of Philadelphia's own restricted free agents are left to wonder how (if at all) the outcome of the offer sheet will affect their own status with the team.

Forward Jakub Voracek and defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon both remain unsigned as of now. The Voracek negotiations are, by far, the dicier of the two.

When the Flyers had their end-of-season media day after the Devils series, general manager Paul Holmgren said that he did not anticipate that Voracek would be a tough signing. However, he also said he anticipated getting Matt Carle re-signed below market value ahead of July 1.

Voracek's agent, Petr Svoboda, is looking for a substantial raise on the $2.25 million that his client earned last season on a one-year contract. Based on other recent signings such as Teddy Purcell's deal with Tampa Bay, is believed that the current asking price on Voracek on a multi-year deal is close to the $4 million range. At this point, if there is to be a multi-year agreement, the Flyers would be paying the soon-to-be 23-year-old Voracek based more on his potential continued development than his track record to date.

The demands may be significantly lower in a one-year deal. However, Voracek would be a restricted free agent again next summer and the price tag could shoot up (lowered cap ceiling or not) if he were to have a big season.

Bourdon's situation is not nearly as tough from a financial standpoint. The 22-year-old figures to get a modest raise on the $875,000 he received in the third and final season of his entry-level contract. While he generally played well in 2011-12 prior to suffering concussion issues in the latter part of the season and playoffs, Bourdon only has 45 games on NHL experience under his belt.

However, Bourdon is already affected by a numbers crunch on the blueline. Even without Weber in the picture, the Flyers would have eight veteran NHL defensemen (Kimmo Timonen, Luke Schenn, Braydon Coburn, Nicklas Grossmann, Andrej Meszaros, Bruno Gervais and Andreas Lilja) plus waiver-exempt Erik Gustafsson to compete with Bourdon for a roster spot.

If the Flyers add Weber to the picture, there's no spot for Bourdon unless there are multiple injuries when the 2012-13 season (eventually) starts. Because he is no longer on his entry-level contract, Bourdon would require waivers to be sent to the Phantoms next year. The team has a difficult decision to make on him. He definitely played well enough as an NHL rookie to merit some playing time next year, but will it be in Philadelphia?

Increasingly, it seems as if the Weber offer sheet will end up going one of two ways: the Predators match it and try to manage around the severe financial hardships it will cause or else they arrange a de facto trade for Weber in exchange for not matching the offer sheet.
    The least likely scenario appears to be the possibility of the Predators simply walking away with the four first-round picks that would come their way if they don't match.

In the "Gratton trade" scenario, the Predators would decline to match the offer sheet and then immediately send some or all of the first-round picks back to Philadelphia in exchange for players. If this is the case, I think Bourdon or Gustafsson will be one of the secondary pieces heading to Nashville.

It is also not out of the question that Voracek could end up in Nashville.

Yes, the Flyers have already lost substantial pieces at wing with the depatures of Jaromir Jagr and James van Riemsdyk. Yes, the club would like to see if Voracek (who closed the season out with the best two-way hockey of his career) can fill the Jagr void. But if the club refuses to deal either Sean Couturier or Brayden Schenn -- even at the risk of losing out on the best all-around defenseman in the NHL -- they will almost have to make Voracek available.

This is especially true if Svoboda was looking for more money than the club was willing to pay even BEFORE taking on Weber's $7.9 million cap hit (not to mention paying out all the signing bonus money due to the defenseman under the terms of the offer sheet). If Weber comes, the Flyers would ideally prefer to shed a couple salaries. With Nashville having so much required spending left to get to the cap floor, Voracek could probably get both more money and a multi-year deal.

If Voracek were to get dealt to, he could step right into a top-six role in Nashville. The Flyers would feel his loss but still have some decent options for Giroux's right wing (Wayne Simmonds, Matt Read, shifting Danny Briere from second-line center to top-line RW). But Philly would definitely be much weaker on the wings that they were a year ago. The trade-off would be potentially having the top blueline in the NHL.

A deal that would send Voracek, Meszaros , one of Bourdon or Gustafsson and two or three of the first-round picks to Nashville for Weber and the return of one or two of the first-round picks may or may not get it done.

I'm sure David Poile would prefer one of Couturier or Brayden Schenn and the healthier Coburn instead of Meszaros (who is coming off back surgery but is just a year removed from winning the Barry Ashbee Trophy as the Flyers top defenseman). However, I would think that, if that is the case, Paul Holmgren would tell the Predators to go ahead and match the offer sheet if they can.

If the Flyers had been willing to trade all that in the first place, they wouldn't have gone the offer sheet route. Now that the Predators are under the gun of matching the offer sheet, I think the return they can realistically expect goes down a bit -- but not as much as some may think.

Before, Nashville still faced the possibility of losing Weber as a UFA next summer. Now, if they can somehow come up with the money to match without totally destroying the money-losing franchise's financial outlook, they know they can keep Weber for the rest of his career if they so desire.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    ^
    Meltzer, one of the best hockey writers out there.

Shane Doan is in Philly today visiting.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    That trade idea looks more like wishful thinking to me. Why would nashville want a vastly overpaid voracek at $4 million, and a bunch of the flyers' spare parts instead of weber? Or even instead of 4 1st round picks? Why not offer sheet voracek if they wanted him?

I think you have to step back, deeper than the predators to find at least one of their owners is backed by multi billions. These guys look at a longer term picture and will see that spread out, the 7.8 million per is a decent deal. 26 million short term loss to guys with billions isnt much.

This team is also gaining a following after struggling for over a decade (while playing well). Their fans they worked hard for are going to be alienated if they lost suter and weber, but gained voracek, mazaroz, and gustaffsen. It would be a death knell to the franchise to go into rebuild mode right now.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    That trade idea looks more like wishful thinking to me. Why would nashville want a vastly overpaid voracek at $4 million, and a bunch of the flyers' spare parts instead of weber? Or even instead of 4 1st round picks? Why not offer sheet voracek if they wanted him?

I think you have to step back, deeper than the predators to find at least one of their owners is backed by multi billions. These guys look at a longer term picture and will see that spread out, the 7.8 million per is a decent deal. 26 million short term loss to guys with billions isnt much.

This team is also gaining a following after struggling for over a decade (while playing well). Their fans they worked hard for are going to be alienated if they lost suter and weber, but gained voracek, mazaroz, and gustaffsen. It would be a death knell to the franchise to go into rebuild mode right now.

Though their owners are loaded, the team is still an investment for them. Pouring money into a business deal where they are most likely going to lose money (in regards to the weber contract) might not go over well with the ownership group.

Of course it's all speculation at this point. 3 more days and we will see....
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,358
    Guy here said the Preds are probably looking for defensive depth in a potential trade - maybe Cobourn, Mezsaros, Gustaffson, Bourdon...

They have only 4 D's on the roster if Weber leaves, and need $13M to hit the cap floor.

Also, maybe the Flyers try to at least get back the first rounder for the year the draft is in Philly.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Guy here said the Preds are probably looking for defensive depth in a potential trade - maybe Cobourn, Mezsaros, Gustaffson, Bourdon...

They have only 4 D's on the roster if Weber leaves, and need $13M to hit the cap floor.

pronger? :thumbup:
    I dont think it does us any good to give up both Coburn and Mezsaros. It's either one or the other.
    I'd give them Voracek, Read, a couple of 1's and either Coburn or Mez.
    I dont think it does us any good to give up both Coburn and Mezsaros. It's either one or the other.

Just read a speculatory rumor that would have nashville delining to match and therefore getting four ones from the flyers. In turn nashville would send the ones from '14-'16 back to the flyers with the flyers sending voracek, meszaros, and one of bourdon/wellwood to nashville. This would actually save the flyers cap space even after adding weber's contract.

Is it wednesday yet?
    The Fixer wrote:

Just read a speculatory rumor that would have nashville delining to match and therefore getting four ones from the flyers. In turn nashville would send the ones from '14-'16 back to the flyers with the flyers sending voracek, meszaros, and one of bourdon/wellwood to nashville. This would actually save the flyers cap space even after adding weber's contract.

Is it wednesday yet?
    I saw that. The question remains, is Nashville going to scrape enough money together to match or will they bite the bullet on the 4 draft picks?
    This offer sheet was executed to put Nashville in a very difficult position. The guaranteed money to Weber in the first couple years counts whether there is a lockout or not.($26M in the first two years). Last year, even with a successful run, the preds still lost around $7M. Their gate revenue was only $24M, therefore they would be paying more money to Weber in 1 yr than what they make in ticket revenue.
    The Fixer wrote:

Is it wednesday yet?
    I saw that. The question remains, is Nashville going to scrape enough money together to match or will they bite the bullet on the 4 draft picks?
    This offer sheet was executed to put Nashville in a very difficult position. The guaranteed money to Weber in the first couple years counts whether there is a lockout or not.($26M in the first two years). Last year, even with a successful run, the preds still lost around $7M. Their gate revenue was only $24M, therefore they would be paying more money to Weber in 1 yr than what they make in ticket revenue.

article also said they could have up to 14 FAs going into 2013. that's nuts
    The Fixer wrote:

article also said they could have up to 14 FAs going into 2013. that's nuts
    Yes. And say the Preds match the offer, they will not have enough cap room to field any kind of competitive team. Especially when Rinne is making $7M/yr.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,358
    The Fixer wrote:

Is it wednesday yet?

I wouldn't mind that, although I'd rather trade Bourdon than Wellwood. Voracek's just an average player. I like Meszaros but you gotta give something up to get something.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I wouldnt call Voracek an average player. Skill wise, he's at the top of 3 of the team. He just has trouble finishing and always looks for the set-up.
    Curious to see if the Nash to Rangers forces Holmgrens hand to make sure Weber lands here.

Or that deal might be a response by the Rangers because they may know the Preds arent matching the offer sheet. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
    AyWs6oBCEAAbcG1.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,966
    I think that's not far off from the regular pricing of Predators gear....ya know, since it's a hockey team....in Nashville...
    I wouldnt call Voracek an average player. Skill wise, he's at the top of 3 of the team. He just has trouble finishing and always looks for the set-up.

I like him too. Great skater...can play the point on the PP, kill penalties, play on any line, etc. He's a well rounded player who has a lot of offensive upside. He's solid.

If they have to move him to lock weber up...c-ya jake
    Curious to see if the Nash to Rangers forces Holmgrens hand to make sure Weber lands here.

Or that deal might be a response by the Rangers because they may know the Preds arent matching the offer sheet. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Yeah, I read over the weekend that the rangers had upped their offer in lue of what the flyers did. assuming weber lands here ya gotta figure the pens will be making a big move. I still think doan ends up on crosbys line.
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, I read over the weekend that the rangers had upped their offer in lue of what the flyers did. assuming weber lands here ya gotta figure the pens will be making a big move. I still think doan ends up on crosbys line.
    I can see Doan in Pittsburgh if the Coyotes/NHL cant get any kind of sale out west.

If for some reason this Weber fiasco fails for the Flyers, I expect B. Ryan to be traded for immediately.
    @DarrenDreger

Philadelphia is willing to talk trade for the 1st round picks if Preds don't match. Nashville will need players. Could shop the 4 firsts.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I found this on the csnphilly site. I know it's crazy but i think that this trade would help both teams. The comments afterwards remind me of all Philly team threads here.

Here is something i have been thinking about. The Flyers want Weber and they seem to want Doan. The Predators want talent now to keep them competitive and for the future. What if the Flyers and the Predators did a blockbuster trade? I mean something no one would ever think of. Here is my idea. This is just an idea and i know i might be called nuts. But i also said that the Flyers would guaranteed get Weber some way or another Here' my thought.

The Flyers would trade for Shea Weber and Pekka Rinne.

The Predators receive the 4 1st round picks, Ilya Bryzgalov, Andres Meszaros, Matt Read and Jakub Voracek.

Here is why this trade may not be as crazy as thought. The Flyers want Weber and they want Doan. They would really have to make some cap room in order to really do that. They also don't feel comfortable with Bryz no matter how much they try to sugar coat it. They think and most fans think he is a better fit for a smaller market team with less of a media frenzy. He might excel with Nashville. He did with Anaheim and Phoenix.

The Predators would get immediate help and help for the future. They would get Meszaros who was the best D-man on the team 2 years ago and last year was really good before the injuries. He also wont be 27 until October. He steps in to help with the loss of Weber. Bryz in all honesty was better then Rinne until he came to the Flyers. So even though he had a inconsistent year last year he has been pretty damn good through his career. But not in a media driven market. Matt Read is also a good young forward that could possibly be a guy like Patrick Sharp once he was traded to the Blackhawks. He is also Cheap. Then comes Voracek, who could be signed by Nashville long term since they would and do have more cap room then the Flyers and could get a deal done. They also get a good scorer who could flourish from being on the top line. Not to mention the Predators still get their 4 1st round picks they would get for losing Weber.

The Flyers would then in turn have cap room to get Doan and don't give up Schenn or Couturier. This trade may sound either bad for the Flyers or the Predators but long term it could help both teams. The Predators get Bryzgalov signed long term and don't have to worry about Rinne walking or asking for a trade and the Flyers get a guy who would still have Weber playing in front of him and a pretty potent offense still even if they lost JVR, Jagr, Read and Vorachek from the last year. Doan and Fedotenko would help fill that void. Considering that JVR didn't do anything last year. This could be a great trade for both teams in every aspect and helps Nashville save face and stay competitive. Its probably a pipe dream (it is 99.9% a pipe dream) but you never know. We are talking about the Flyers
    Go Birds!!!!
    Maybe if S. Howson was the Preds GM.

You are talking about getting Nashvilles top two players and not having to give up one of your own top players.
    I would run 5 miles naked if that deal was to ever happen.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

You are talking about getting Nashvilles top two players and not having to give up one of your own top players.

yea that was wayyyy out there :?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i cant see how nashville doesnt match

they had 100 million for suter...where di it go?

4 picks from the flyers mean dick..they will all be 20 or higher

we shall see soon enough
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

yea that was wayyyy out there :?
    I agree but I figured I'd share. As crazy as it sounds it sounds it kinda makes some sense.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

we shall see soon enough

I agree J, I think Preds match offer. Hate to be a flyers fan if they do match it. That'll hurt and with rangers getting Nash, oh boy.

we shall see soon enough
    The way homer structured the first couple years would kill Nashville. I read they grossed 24 million last year. Weber would get 26 in the first year alone. Homers an animal!!!
    Go Birds!!!!