Options

Edmonton Oilers

Comments

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    NCBRI wrote:
    Rumors circulating that Edmonton is trying to work out a 3 way deal with the Flyers and my Canes in which Erik Cole lands in Edmonton. I hope this is just rumors as I'd hate to see Cole traded even if it means getting Pitkanen from Philly.

Edmonton deal still possible
    Monday, Jun 25, 2007 11:41 am EDT

Edmonton Oilers' GM Kevin Lowe wouldn't go into details, but said a three-way detail remains a "possibility."

One big recent rumor was a three-way swap in which Erik Cole would come to Edmonton while Raffi Torres moved to the Philadelphia Flyers and Joni Pitkanen headed to the Carolina Hurricanes.

Source: Edmonton Sun

saw lots of kevin lowe on night 1 of the draft this past weekend.
    i think edm had 3 picks ( the first night ) in the first round of drafts. ( in like the first 15 maybe? )
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    saw lots of kevin lowe on night 1 of the draft this past weekend.
    i think edm had 3 picks ( the first night ) in the first round of drafts. ( in like the first 15 maybe? )

Why does every single GM have to go through the same thank you speach before making their picks? I only watched up until the Canes picked Sutter. Was hoping we would take a chance on either Espisito or the Russian, but they like hockey families (Staal) and seem pleased with the kid they took.

And now that I have hijacked the thread a bit, back to the thread subject........I still hope Cole doesn't get dealt to the Oilers.
    Brian
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    NCBRI wrote:
    Rumors circulating that Edmonton is trying to work out a 3 way deal with the Flyers and my Canes in which Erik Cole lands in Edmonton. I hope this is just rumors as I'd hate to see Cole traded even if it means getting Pitkanen from Philly.

Edmonton deal still possible
    Monday, Jun 25, 2007 11:41 am EDT

Edmonton Oilers' GM Kevin Lowe wouldn't go into details, but said a three-way detail remains a "possibility."

One big recent rumor was a three-way swap in which Erik Cole would come to Edmonton while Raffi Torres moved to the Philadelphia Flyers and Joni Pitkanen headed to the Carolina Hurricanes.

Source: Edmonton Sun

prljamgirl will cry if Torres leaves our Oilers :(
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    ahh good old raffi, another young player milbury traded to the oilers. FUCK U MILBURY
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902

Likely just rumors. Shoulda know better than to listen to a national source. Here is the info from the local media: http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/615076.html

Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford denied Cole was in play -- "wasn't, hasn't been, no," Rutherford said -- and Edmonton general manager Kevin Lowe said Cole's name had not come up, joking that if Cole was available, he'd pick up the phone.
    Brian
  • Options
    prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602

I would cry...I loves my Raffi!!!!
  • Options
    prljamgirl wrote:
    I would cry...I loves my Raffi!!!!

I know you do, hon. I hope he stays. I hope when I come visit I get see some of them.. although if I met a real live Oiler I would probably giggle like a school girl and run away.. :o
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I know you do, hon. I hope he stays. I hope when I come visit I get see some of them.. although if I met a real live Oiler I would probably giggle like a school girl and run away.. :o

Is he anygood ?

I dont know much about him ?

I doubt the Flyers would do the trade to be honest
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    So Smyth isn't coming back and Smith is gone? Hrmph.
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    Well well Oiler fans schedule has been released we open up the those assholes from San Jose and then we battle the Flyers on Saturday afternoon which will be the great with the return of ex captain Jason "Gator" Smith.

I am trying to so optimsitic about the upcoming year however I think this will be another year of maybe scraping into the play-offs. Our defence has improved dramatically with the re-signing of Dickie Tarnstrom, Pitkanen is going to be a gem, Smid will only be getting better (still say he will be a Nik. Lidstrom in a few more years), Gilbert is ready for the big times, Grebeskov (from the Bergeron trade) is currently the #1 ranked D-man in Russia, plus Greene is back.

However we need a LW really really bad....Nilsson is ready to come and play but I would love for Lowe to find a #1 left winger.

Anyone I expect the Oilers will be better than analysts will predict and will go as far as to say we will make the play-offs, albeit 8th.

So what are you other Oiler fans predicting this year?
  • Options
    prljamgirl wrote:
    Thought I'd revive this thread.....only a few months til hockey starts again and I just renewed my season tickets!!!!! Yay!!! :D

How good are your tickets you lucky lucky girl?

I am moving to the home of the enemy next year (Cowtown) and cannot wait to start attending some BOA's in the home of the enemy. Plus being less than 300 km's from Edmonton will at least get me to some more games next season (well I guess the 08/09 campaign) maybe look at getting a mini-pack or something.
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    Glad this thread was revived!!!
    Fuck....this will be Season Three of this thread you know?
    Woooooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooo

Rockin'InCanada: You hit the nail on the head about the upcoming season. I cant friggin wait for hockey to start. I live in a town of diehard oil fans and this year is gonna be the cats ass, the monkeys ass and the birds whistle.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

ps. Go Oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    Glad this thread was revived!!!
    Fuck....this will be Season Three of this thread you know?
    Woooooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooo

Rockin'InCanada: You hit the nail on the head about the upcoming season. I cant friggin wait for hockey to start. I live in a town of diehard oil fans and this year is gonna be the cats ass, the monkeys ass and the birds whistle.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

ps. Go Oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

Cree nice to see someone here aching for some "hackey" action...lol....less than three months my friend and it is go time.

I still say we will do better than last years effort....well at least better than the losing of 18 of the last 20 games variety.

I am also on the fence about K. Lowe I am pumped that he did not over-pay for guys like Gomez/Drury...give me a break those guys deserve nothing more than $5.5M/year. However I believe he shot himself in the foot by also being so public abotu getting trades done at the draft then July 1st. All it did was give more power to other GM's because he came off as deperate.

We have a wealth of talent coming up....Nilsson (Mini-Forsberg without a doubt), Robbie "Hot-Dog" Schremp, Cogliano (who I think is the meat of our prospects and may crack the line-up this year), Mara will be a gritty forward in the future too, and the most non talked about prospect future netminder Devan Dubynuk (this guy is going to be gravy I tell you!).
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Cree nice to see someone here aching for some "hackey" action...lol....less than three months my friend and it is go time.

I still say we will do better than last years effort....well at least better than the losing of 18 of the last 20 games variety.

I am also on the fence about K. Lowe I am pumped that he did not over-pay for guys like Gomez/Drury...give me a break those guys deserve nothing more than $5.5M/year. However I believe he shot himself in the foot by also being so public abotu getting trades done at the draft then July 1st. All it did was give more power to other GM's because he came off as deperate.

We have a wealth of talent coming up....Nilsson (Mini-Forsberg without a doubt), Robbie "Hot-Dog" Schremp, Cogliano (who I think is the meat of our prospects and may crack the line-up this year), Mara will be a gritty forward in the future too, and the most non talked about prospect future netminder Devan Dubynuk (this guy is going to be gravy I tell you!).

see ya jan 5th w/ our overpaid guys
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    see ya jan 5th w/ our overpaid guys

Typical Rangers season...coming up spend to max = quick exit play-off time...seen this story for the past how many years????

:)...cannot wait for the those inter-conference games...damn shame all teams couldn't play at least one in a year.

For example Drury has NEVER had more than 69 points....and Gomez no more than 84....I am just saying the Rangers paid big bucks for guys IMHO do not deserve that kinda cash...between the two Gomez is the better player I think and may actually be deservant of that money but Drury no fucking way.....
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247

He did come off as desperate....just like the oil in there last twenty-some games last year. Lowe and Mac T are idiots but whatcha gonna do? Its like when we had Klein as Premier, most of us knew he was an idiot but he got in time and time again.

Schremp and Nilsson are going to be great, I just hope Schremp actually stays in the majors.
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    He did come off as desperate....just like the oil in there last twenty-some games last year. Lowe and Mac T are idiots but whatcha gonna do? Its like when we had Klein as Premier, most of knew he was an idiot but he got in time and time again.

Schremp and Nilsson are going to be great, I just hope Schremp actually stays in the majors.

Schremp is the guy I think may be a flop...hate to say it but just maybe....I have heard is attitude has done a 180 which was needed....I guess training camp will tell where he is headed....I do believe he would be prospect we would trade if we had to....I think Cogliano will be a better overall player for us in the future....Schremp also tore his MCL (or ACL??) this past spring so it will be interesting how he recovers.....
  • Options
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20070712_155519_5208

Souray is an Oiler...reports say 5 years for $27M...which is great considering he was looking for $6-$6.5M/year.

"I'm heading home to Alberta and I can't wait to step onto the ice at Rexall Place", said Souray. "It's always been a terrific building to play in. I couldn't be happier with my decision and I can tell you it was an easy one to make. I'm looking forward to playing in Edmonton for a great organization and believe me, I know how good the fans in Edmonton are."
  • Options
    prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602

Souray is an Oiler...reports say 5 years for $27M...which is great considering he was looking for $6-$6.5M/year.

"I'm heading home to Alberta and I can't wait to step onto the ice at Rexall Place", said Souray. "It's always been a terrific building to play in. I couldn't be happier with my decision and I can tell you it was an easy one to make. I'm looking forward to playing in Edmonton for a great organization and believe me, I know how good the fans in Edmonton are."

Woooooohoooooo!!! I'm so happy about this!! I can't wait for these games to start! :D Three months to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    prljamgirl wrote:
    Woooooohoooooo!!! I'm so happy about this!! I can't wait for these games to start! :D Three months to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You and I both...I am making a prediction right here that I expect (since we have nine d-men capable of playing an NHL) that one or two will be packaged with Anaheim's first round pick in 2008 and with a prospect (expect Schremp, O'Marra, Cogliano, MAP, Chroney, etc.) for a number one line center (Horcoff dealt if for a center) or winger (expect to pay more with prospects). Because if we get a true # 1 center Horcs gets dealt and Stoll will become the 2nd line man and we have tonnes of depth at center (maybe give Cog's or Schremp their time to shine).

All we need now is two quality forwards and we are set to compete...already I expect at least 50 more goals next year....our PP went from shit to "da shit" over-night....Pitk's/Souray/Stoll all have absolute bullets for shots....going be a tough three months to wait...but then again I have the Riders to root for until then.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Enjoy Souray, he will be missed by us Habs fans.
    I'm glad he went to Edmonton though, I don't mind those guys so much.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I was just told by a friend that he heard a radio report saying that there is some kind of snag in the finalization of Vanek's contract in Buffalo? I can't find anything online...my friend said there is a deadline mid-day today, and if it passes, the Oil get him? Anyone here anything about this?
  • Options
    I was just told by a friend that he heard a radio report saying that there is some kind of snag in the finalization of Vanek's contract in Buffalo? I can't find anything online...my friend said there is a deadline mid-day today, and if it passes, the Oil get him? Anyone here anything about this?

Hey buddy...the snag that people are referring to is that nhl.com still lists Vanek as an RFA and rumour as it that Buffalo has yet to submit the formal paperwork....three things happening:

1) Vanek is indeed signed by Buffalo and people are too hopeful and reading way too much into things.

2) Buffalo is trying to get revenge on KLowe (damn everytime I say/type that I picture K Lowe like K Fed. anyway.......) because after an RFA gets offered and signs a deal from an opposing team their current team has a week to formally sign them. In the meantime the NHL reserves the compensation which would be four draft picks from the Oilers, making them unable to use them for deals. Hence Buffalo waiting till the last minute to hand-cuff Lowe because he cannot use our picks and for that matter has to watch himself over the time period to ensure that we could pick up Vanek's contract if Buffalo walked away.

3) Buffalo will walk away and take the picks.

I seriously think he has been signed by the Sabres....BUT I still drool thinking off Hemsky/Vanek together can anybody say 200 points combined easily.

We will see I guess today what is really going on.
  • Options
    You getting all of this from here?:
    http://forums.edmontonoilers.com/index.php?showtopic=32956
    I dunno...interesting. I really hope we get him, fuck the draft picks.
  • Options
    You getting all of this from here?:
    http://forums.edmontonoilers.com/index.php?showtopic=32956
    I dunno...interesting. I really hope we get him, fuck the draft picks.

Well no not really...however that is what I am saying I guess....my hunch was that Buffalo is trying to hand-cuff us.....but I believe they will finish the deal today...if not we are ready to compete next year buddy....
  • Options
    EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695

He said putting on an Oiler's jersey is a dream come true for him, his whole family are Oiler's fans and his wife likes the city and is familiar with it.... he's from Elk Point... I can't wait for the season to begin!
  • Options
    Earthgirl wrote:
    He said putting on an Oiler's jersey is a dream come true for him, his whole family are Oiler's fans and his wife likes the city and is familiar with it.... he's from Elk Point... I can't wait for the season to begin!

Is that not a relief eh Earthgirl....its funny and sad at the sametime we need to worry whether the guy's wife likes the city or not...the season could not come sooner....
  • Options
    ya, even without Vanek, I think we'll be ok now that we got Souray...we've got trade bait for a goal scorer with all of our d....BUT if we end up able to keep our d together (or hold off till the deadline to move any of them), AND get a goal scorer like Vanek....I'm likin our team. What a roller coaster summer!

And ya, I don't get why anyone is worried about the picks in the Vanek deal....we would have what, four shots at drafting a 40+ goal scorer in the first round? when's the last time we drafted a 40 goal guy? Chances are we'd end up with three bombs and one 25 goal guy. I'll take Vanek thanks...
  • Options
    ya, even without Vanek, I think we'll be ok now that we got Souray...we've got trade bait for a goal scorer with all of our d....BUT if we end up able to keep our d together (or hold off till the deadline to move any of them), AND get a goal scorer like Vanek....I'm likin our team. What a roller coaster summer!

And ya, I don't get why anyone is worried about the picks in the Vanek deal....we would have what, four shots at drafting a 40+ goal scorer in the first round? when's the last time we drafted a 40 goal guy? Chances are we'd end up with three bombs and one 25 goal guy. I'll take Vanek thanks...

I am 98.9% sure Vanek has been signed by the Sabres...however I am still holding to my prediction we will trade for a # 1 C or LW...we get that we are good to go....
  • Options
    Man oh man I was shaking reading this press release from Mr. Katz (owns Rexall) and his discussion about his bid to buy the team.

For those that do not know him he is in Forbes 500 list and was born/raised/and still lives in Edmonton and owns Rexall pharamacies....EIG SELL HIM THE TEAM PLEASE!!!!!!!

Here is the release:

Official Press Release:

There has been a lot of discussion in recent weeks about my interest in
    acquiring the Edmonton Oilers. While it's not appropriate for me to discuss
    the details of my offer publicly, I do want to share my reasons for wanting to
    buy the team and try to address at least some of the questions Oilers' fans
    and Edmontonians are asking.

The first point I want to make is that I have a lot of respect for Cal
    Nichols and the Edmonton Investor Group. They did a great thing when they came
    together to buy the team and keep it in Edmonton. They have maintained a real
    community feeling ever since, and just over one year ago they came agonizingly
    close to bringing the Cup back to Edmonton. As an Edmontonian and as a fan,
    I'm grateful for everything they've done. As an owner, should that come to
    pass, I intend to ensure their contribution is recognized and remembered.

At the same time, I know there are a number of people within the
    ownership group who would like to exit their investment and pass the torch to
    a new generation of leadership. I want to provide that leadership while
    preserving the great Oiler traditions and maintaining a strong sense of
    community.

I was born in Edmonton, I live in Edmonton and I grew up here with the
    Oilers during the glory days. I want to own the Oilers because they are
    Edmonton's hockey team, because I want to build a winning team, and because I
    think there is an opportunity, through the Oilers, to do great things for the
    City.

From a business perspective, the Katz Group and especially our Rexall
    brand have benefited from our association with the Oilers and Rexall Place,
    and I think there's a real opportunity to build on that success.

To be clear, I am committed to building a winning team here in Edmonton,
    and I would play to the salary cap every year to help make sure that happens.
    I am also prepared to make a significant additional investment of time and
    money towards the development of a new downtown arena facility for the team
    and the City if that's what the people of Edmonton want.

Likewise, I have initiated preliminary discussions with representatives
    of the University of Alberta about building a world-class hockey training
    facility on campus for the benefit of the Edmonton Oilers, the U of A and
    hockey in Western Canada.

Finally, I appreciate the many expressions of support I have received
    from within the ownership group, across the city and around the NHL. If I'm
    successful in acquiring the team I will be more than happy to make myself
    available to the media to answer your questions directly. There is no great
    mystery in any of this, other than the sound business practice of trying not
    to negotiate a transaction in public. To that end I have offered to meet with
    all of the owners privately to further explain my offer and answer their
    questions. I've had several productive discussions already and look forward to
    others in the weeks ahead.