Options

Edmonton Oilers

Comments

• Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    When I saw that article on the web I knew it would have you guys excited. He sounds like a Mark Cuban kinda guy.
    Brian
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    NCBRI wrote:
    When I saw that article on the web I knew it would have you guys excited. He sounds like a Mark Cuban kinda guy.

That is exactly who I compared him to...right now I understand he has 33% of the required 66% and it seems that he may sweeten the deal a little more (I have heard by another $20M)
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    Feels as though I am talking to myself in this thread...oh well I love the Oilers...anyway K. Lowe is at it again with the RFA's:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=214708&hubname=

The Edmonton Oilers are back at it again, tendering a five year, $21.25 million offer sheet to Anaheim Ducks Group II restricted free agent Dustin Penner.

The Ducks have seven days to match Edmonton's offer. Should the Ducks decide not to match, the compensation from the Oilers would be a first-round draft pick as well as a second-round pick and a third-round choice.

The Oilers and Penners agent would not comment until after Anaheim made a decision.

''We're going to wait and see what happens here in the next seven days before we make a comment,'' Penner's agent Gerry Johannson told The Canadian Press.

The Ducks' salary cap currently sits at around $48 million. With the Penner signing, they would go over the $50.3-million maximum but a team is allowed to be over the salary cap by 10 per cent until Oct. 1.

It is the second time that Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe has gone after a restricted free agent this off-season. Lowe signed Buffalo Sabres forward Thomas Vanek to a seven-year, $50 million offer sheet in early July, an offer the Sabres matched to retain Vanek.

Penner, a native of Winkler, Man., played in all 82 last season, his first full season in the NHL. He put up 29 goals and 16 assists for 45 points while adding three goals and five assists for eight points in 21 playoff games for the Cup champions in 2006-07.

With files from The Canadian Press.
  • Options
    sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    fuck kevin lowe.

that being said, i hope burke doesnt match. that is waaayy too much. and this is coming from a Ducks fan.

LOL
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    Fuck I cannot WAIT until Septermber 17th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go OIL GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,151
    fuck kevin lowe.

that being said, i hope burke doesnt match. that is waaayy too much. and this is coming from a Ducks fan.

LOL

I think Burke is going to have to back off on this one and let him go........especially when you consider next year both Getzlaf and Perry are RFA's and are only making a combined salary of just over $1.1Mil. The Ducks would already be over the cap if they matched the Oils offer. You can be sure the vultures will be swooping in with the offer sheets next year for those two.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    Looking quite good for me to attend my first Oilers game EVER this year :D:D

oh yeah GO OILERS!!!!! ;)
  • Options
    prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602
    Fuck I cannot WAIT until Septermber 17th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go OIL GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Are you going to be there friend?????? :D
  • Options
    EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
    hey Oiler's friends, how's it hanging?
  • Options
    Looking quite good for me to attend my first Oilers game EVER this year :D:D

oh yeah GO OILERS!!!!!

I'm looking forward to it too!!!!!!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Earthgirl wrote:
    hey Oiler's friends, how's it hanging?

Hey girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for the season to start!!!! ;)
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    prljamgirl wrote:
    I'm looking forward to it too!!!!!!!

I can't wait!!!! :D:D
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    I think Burke is going to have to back off on this one and let him go........especially when you consider next year both Getzlaf and Perry are RFA's and are only making a combined salary of just over $1.1Mil. The Ducks would already be over the cap if they matched the Oils offer. You can be sure the vultures will be swooping in with the offer sheets next year for those two.

http://sports.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?feedname=CBC-SPORTS-V2&showbyline=True&newsitemid=penner-offersheet

Dustin Penner is the newest Oiler after Anaheim general manager Brian Burke chose not to match Edmonton's five-year, $21.25-million US offer sheet on Thursday.

Dustin Penner notched 29 goals and 45 points last season, his first full campaign with the Ducks.
    (Chuck Stoody/Canadian Press)
    The Ducks will receive a first, second and third-round draft pick as compensation for Penner, who was a restricted free agent.

Penner is the first player to switch teams as a result of an offer sheet in a decade, after Tampa Bay declined to match the offer Philadelphia gave to Chris Gratton in 1997.

The Penner signing would have pushed Anaheim over the $50.3-million salary cap, though teams are allowed to exceed the limit by 10 per cent until Oct. 1.

Edmonton GM Kevin Lowe signed Penner to a five-year offer sheet after failing to get Thomas Vanek of the Buffalo Sabres last month. Sabres GM Darcy Regier later matched Edmonton's seven-year, $50-million offer.

Penner, 24, will average $4.25 million per year in his new deal after earning $425,000 last season.

Burke had a week to match the offer and waited until the deadline had passed before announcing he was letting him go.

The six-foot-four right-winger shone on Anaheim's Kid Line with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry last season, notching 29 goals and 45 points in his first full campaign with the Ducks, winning a Stanley Cup last season.

The native of Winkler, Man., added eight points in 21 playoff games.

Undrafted by NHL teams, the six-foot-four-inch, 243-pound Penner was signed by former Ducks GM Bryan Murray as a free agent out of U.S. college in May 2004. He has played in 101 regular season games over his short career.

After Edmonton tendered its offer to Penner on July 26, Burke expressed his anger at the move.

"I have no problem with offer sheets, they are part of the CBA [collective bargaining agreement]," Burke said on a conference call. "I think it's a tool certainly a team is entitled to use.

"My issue here is this is the second time this year in my opinion Edmonton have offered a grossly inflated salary for a player, and it impacts on all 30 teams."
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Hawkshore wrote:
    http://sports.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?feedname=CBC-SPORTS-V2&showbyline=True&newsitemid=penner-offersheet

Edmonton have offered a grossly inflated salary for a player, and it impacts on all 30 teams."

funny i thought it was philly that set the precedent this year.

:eek:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    Kevin Lowe's got some guts, pissing off GM's all over the league, but i love it, wish JFJ had some balls:)
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:

The asshat himself aka Bob Clarke tried it by giving Canuck Ryan Kessler a hugely over inflated offer sheet last year.....but the Canucks matched as did the Sabres with Vanek.....This is the first time a team has not matched an offer sheet. If Burke could have I'm sure he would have.....but he is smart enough to know that he is going to need considerble cap room to keep Getzlaf and Perry next year.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    kenshunt wrote:
    Kevin Lowe's got some guts, pissing off GM's all over the league, but i love it, wish JFJ had some balls:)

of course

one of slats students
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    Bathgate66 wrote:

yea but I think he meant for the RFA's tho, like they did with Vanek. Philly def. did set it for the ufa's no doubt
    good move for the oil but it IS weird that they targeted TWO rfa's and offered them crazy money, instead of targeting UFA's. If Buffalo didnt match that Vanek offer edmonton would be sick this yr. Still got a squad tho, so lets see what happens.
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    stickboy wrote:
    yea but I think he meant for the RFA's tho, like they did with Vanek. Philly def. did set it for the ufa's no doubt
    good move for the oil but it IS weird that they targeted TWO rfa's and offered them crazy money, instead of targeting UFA's. If Buffalo didnt match that Vanek offer edmonton would be sick this yr. Still got a squad tho, so lets see what happens.

Tough sale on getting the UFA's to Edmonton......look how they got stung with Nylander when his wife got cold feet at the last minute this year!
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    of course

one of slats students
    indeed

ok I see what hawkshore wrote.. I forgot about that deal with kessler. If thats what you meant you're right

kinda feels good in a fucked up way to see other teams turn into the rangers of a few yrs ago as far as spending goes. I AM a hockey fan but damn, some of these offers and salaries are crazy. Im not lookin forward to the next CBA meetings I'll tell you that much
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:

How are the Laughs going to go after any RFA's $1.3Mil of cap room left???
    Too much money tied up in Macabe, Kubina, and Kabrele.... $15Mil WTF

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/tor.html
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Tough sale on getting the UFA's to Edmonton......look how they got stung with Nylander when his wife got cold feet at the last minute this year!
    true, that was fucked up. If Vanek AND nylander made it there on top of the additions you guys made and the team you already have, u woulda have been top contenders this yr.
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    prljamgirl wrote:
    Are you going to be there friend?????? :D

I am going to try and have been looking into tix, we should have an E TOwn Jammers meet up that night, hows that sound?

ps. Good Job K-Lowe on the Penner deal.

ps. II Go Oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllllllllll
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I am going to try and have been looking into tix, we should have an E TOwn Jammers meet up that night, hows that sound?

I'm down. :)

Let's hope Penner can play....lots of cash for a relatively unproven talent.
  • Options
    Dammit!!!

Training camp has yet to start and still we have a player gone for the year...get better Pisani...we will need you come play-off time.....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=217604&hubname=

Now back to the rock I have been living under :)
  • Options
    Dammit!!!

Training camp has yet to start and still we have a player gone for the year...get better Pisani...we will need you come play-off time.....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=217604&hubname=

Now back to the rock I have been living under :)

You better climb out of that rock when I come to Edmonton for my visit :p after I relocate :D

Cree better come too!!!!

I hope Pisani feels better. I like that guy!! Maybe I just love saying his name :p
  • Options
    Anyone interested in a little fantasy hockey action?

Looking for a few people to fill out our fantasy hockey league. It is mostly Canes fans but all hockey fans are welcome. If you are interested, here is the info:

You have been invited to join ncbri's Custom League in Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Hockey.

In order to join the league, follow the link above or go to game front page, click the "Sign Up Now" or "Get Another Team" button and follow the links to "Join a Custom League". When prompted, enter the League ID# and password below.

League ID#: 5782
    Password: password

Draft: Sun Sep 23 7:30pm EDT (If you miss it you can still autopick your team)
    Brian
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    NCBRI wrote:

Looking for a few people to fill out our fantasy hockey league. It is mostly Canes fans but all hockey fans are welcome. If you are interested, here is the info:

You have been invited to join ncbri's Custom League in Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Hockey.

In order to join the league, follow the link above or go to game front page, click the "Sign Up Now" or "Get Another Team" button and follow the links to "Join a Custom League". When prompted, enter the League ID# and password below.

Done

I'm Conn Smythe Vernon
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    cree, cree, cree and mr. eddiemon..been way to long...good luck to the Oil this yr guys ;)
  • Options
    NCBRI wrote:

smarchee wrote:
    Done

I'm Conn Smythe Vernon

Cool. Can't wait for the season to begin. We are having a fan fest Sunday morning before our first exhibition game that afternoon. Got my mini season tix today. Gonna have to get some tix for that Edmonton game too.
    Brian