Options

Edmonton Oilers

Comments

• Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    gotcha

uh oh, were you a naughty boy? did you kicked out of the AET ?
  • Options
    Earthgirl wrote:
    EXACTLY !!! man, this is a hot topic among me and my friends, we have often discussed just what you are talking about.. how the other divisions have such teams as the wings/predators like you say that are so different in ability which makes the not so bad teams look ultra good.. then you have the OIlers like you say, Canucks, Flames.. etc.. that are all relatively kicks ass teams all playing against each other... I wish sometimes, more than not.. that it was back to the old days and there weren't so many teams like now..

Think of it this way

Some stats (current to Feb. 8) looking at point differentials:

Points between first in division respective to lower teams in division (then a total of all the differentials):

Atlantic

NJ -
    Pitt. - 9 pts. behind
    NYI - 13 behind
    NYR - 17 behind
    Phil - 39 behind

(total 78 combined points behind)

North-East

Buffalo -
    Montreal - 14 behind
    Ottawa - 15 behind
    TO - 18 behind
    Boston - 26 behind

(total 73 points)

South-East (which BTW all teams should be moved or retracted IMHO)

Atlanta -
    TB - 5 behind
    Carolina - 6
    Wash. - 15
    Flordia - 16

(total 42)

Central (which I always say is the most lop-sided before looking at the #'s)

Nashville
    Detroit - 1
    St. Lou. - 27
    Chi. - 28
    Columbus - 30

(total 86!)

Pacific

Anaheim -
    SJ - 3
    Dal. - 8
    Phoenix - 22
    LA - 30

(total 63)

and finally my point the North-West

Calgary -
    Vancouver - 1
    Minnesota - 3
    Colorado - 9
    Edmonton - 9

(total 22)

Also FYI West vs East Teams (to-date current total record)

For the West: (63-34-8)....now tell me which is the stronger conference....
  • Options
    hey how about those Oilers !!! great games all weekend ! wooo hooo!! poor Rolly I thought he was going to tackle those guys that kept running at him.
  • Options
    prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602
    Here's something kind of interesting for the Oiler fans.....the last time that Atlanta played the Oilers in Edmonton was February 11, 2004 and the Oilers won 5-1 and they played last night in Edmonton which was February 11, 2007 and the Oilers won 5-1. Weird hey!!! :D
  • Options
    BUFFALOBUFFALO Posts: 760
    hey there oiler heads ....cant wait for the upcoming game between the two teams ....my two favorite teams ... cant wait to see rolly ...i always liked him...i think if he was playin last cup finals ,there might have been a diferent stanley cup winner

GO SABRES!!!!!!
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,
    MSG 2 08, Buffalo 10, Hamilton 11

BUFFALO wrote:
    hey there oiler heads ....cant wait for the upcoming game between the two teams ....my two favorite teams ... cant wait to see rolly ...i always liked him...i think if he was playin last cup finals ,there might have been a diferent stanley cup winner

GO SABRES!!!!!!

I agree friend! If Roli was playing in the finals there most certainly would have been a different Stanley Cup winner! No doubt at all!!!
  • Options
    The Oilers, in the last two games, have played their best hockey to date....I expect them to keep it up....only 6 pts. from first.....let's hear it:

LETS GO OILERS!
  • Options
    The Oilers, in the last two games, have played their best hockey to date....I expect them to keep it up....only 6 pts. from first.....let's hear it:

LETS GO OILERS!

Woohooo!!!! :D Let's go Oilers!!!!!
  • Options
    What a joke.

This whole season can be blamed on EIG's unwillingness to give Kevin Lowe the cash to field a decent team.

If they don't make the play-offs, they have no one to blame but themselves.
  • Options
    the oiler problems , is anyone talkin about the problem being with head coach Craig MacTavish ?
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,

the oiler problems , is anyone talkin about the problem being with head coach Craig MacTavish ?

easy on Craig, he's not that bad, besides he has a good rapore with the guys.. they are all really good friends and that counts for something too.
  • Options
    BUFFALO wrote:

I have a problem with him....one being is constant excuse for losing a game...ref's fault....give me a break MacT.....it's what is on the ice that is the problem....and to Craig Simpson PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ANYTHING PURE DON'T PUT PETERSON ON THE DAMN PP...Get Bergie on the point....driving me nuts....as for tonight from what I have been seeing lately we need a miracle...but alas I will put on my jersey with pride (right down to game 82) and tough her out....
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    the oilers/bruins game the other night sucked ass. i couldn't even finish watching the 3rd period. why did they even put their skates on?? Saturday night they play the leafs, and that will be a good one! Go Oilers!!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    I have a problem with him....one being is constant excuse for losing a game...ref's fault....give me a break MacT.....it's what is on the ice that is the problem....and to Craig Simpson PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ANYTHING PURE DON'T PUT PETERSON ON THE DAMN PP...Get Bergie on the point....driving me nuts....as for tonight from what I have been seeing lately we need a miracle...but alas I will put on my jersey with pride (right down to game 82) and tough her out....

you know I have a lot of respect for Peterson, he's a small guy and he goes out there and give it his all .. plus the fact that he has type 1 diabetes.. man that's tough enough, then to put out as much effort as he does. I give the man a pat on the back. :) those are just my views tho.
  • Options
    sabres/ oilers ....great game ,pretty evenly matched i thought . roly played outstanding ...it was good to see him again ...i hope your teams gets it together, id like to see them in then playoffs

you know I have a lot of respect for Peterson, he's a small guy and he goes out there and give it his all .. plus the fact that he has type 1 diabetes.. man that's tough enough, then to put out as much effort as he does. I give the man a pat on the back. :) those are just my views tho.

Hey please do not get me wrong....he's a good player....and a great tool for the PK however he should not replace a guy like Bergie who can skate fast as hell and who has the hardest shot on the team....why MacT refuses to put the guy with the best shot not on the PP is beyond me (just like a lot of things MacT has done this year)...why would you have Stoll/Bergie on the point for the number PP unit then when Stoll goes down we demote Bergie for freaking Peterson...makes no sense...he's a good player...however he is no Pisani, Stoll, or Moreau....cannot wait for these boys to get back so Thor/Peterson can go to level where the excel at (which unfortunatly is not the NHL...currently that is)....I hope they keep up Stortini...I love that guy he is our new Laraque and I think overall a way better player.....

I do enjoy MAP he is doing great IMHO for a filler position.....

Not to knock Peterson anymore but last night -2....standing around dazed while Briere held the puck for hours in OT....he is a good call-up but not a full timer....but that is my opinion....however he is doing a good filler job...

On another note it is nice to see Horc's lighting it up again....again another decision by MacT, what it took only four months of hockey before you re-unite the line that brought you to the SCF last year....I tell you MacT baffles me.....
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    On another note it is nice to see Horc's lighting it up again....again another decision by MacT, what it took only four months of hockey before you re-unite the line that brought you to the SCF last year....I tell you MacT baffles me.....

I might have mentioned this here before, but can't recall.....Horcoff had a baby over the all-star break. I think, in many cases, slumping players have things happening in their personal lives that we don't know about....Horc probably had a lot on his plate for the first half of the year (not that it gets much easier once the baby is born).....same goes for Conklin's disasterous, confidence crushing start last year (had a baby a month or two into the season).

The oil are in deep now....I hope we don't have to worry about whether MA Bergeron should be playing on the PP after the trade deadline...
  • Options
    I might have mentioned this here before, but can't recall.....Horcoff had a baby over the all-star break. I think, in many cases, slumping players have things happening in their personal lives that we don't know about....Horc probably had a lot on his plate for the first half of the year (not that it gets much easier once the baby is born).....same goes for Conklin's disasterous, confidence crushing start last year (had a baby a month or two into the season).

The oil are in deep now....I hope we don't have to worry about whether MA Bergeron should be playing on the PP after the trade deadline...

No I think Horcoff was stinking it up because he was without his linemates from a year before...personally I would be excited to have a baby on the way...plus Horcoff started lighting it before the All Star break.....

I hope we do not trade MAB he is an okay D-man (can skate like the wind and has a blast of a shot)...he is just playing too many minutes that he is not ready for....KLowe needed to address the issue our D problems a long time ago....I have feeling nothing will get done at the deadline either.....

As for Conklin he was horrible when he first put on the Oilers silk....
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    No I think Horcoff was stinking it up because he was without his linemates from a year before...personally I would be excited to have a baby on the way...plus Horcoff started lighting it before the All Star break.....

I hope we do not trade MAB he is an okay D-man (can skate like the wind and has a blast of a shot)...he is just playing too many minutes that he is not ready for....KLowe needed to address the issue our D problems a long time ago....I have feeling nothing will get done at the deadline either.....

As for Conklin he was horrible when he first put on the Oilers silk....

excited/distracted...I'm sure he was excited, but he probably had other things on his mind...planning for a kid takes precedent over most things, I'm sure his work ethic/focus suffered a bit. You're right about splitting the line up tho....that said, he should be able to perform with the other guys....our top two lines should produce regardless of how they're configured (lots of talent there). Lupul's showing this year is a HUGE reason for our subpar year. I've never seen a guy his size that gets knocked off the puck in the corners so easily.

Conklin had huge potential IMO....but the start of the year and the fans/media getting on him killed any momentum or confidence he had. He's a pretty young guy, goalies develop slowly...this town is pretty good at eating it's young...

Bergeron has potential, but he makes SOOOO many mistakes. You're also right about him playing too many minutes.

And again...I agree that Lowe has waited too long...he's been able to pull deadline deals out of his hat in the past, but he should have known that outlet pass/PP QB's are probably the rarest breed in the NHL...waiting till the deadline to find one was not a good plan, now it's probably too late.
  • Options
    excited/distracted...I'm sure he was excited, but he probably had other things on his mind...planning for a kid takes precedent over most things, I'm sure his work ethic/focus suffered a bit. You're right about splitting the line up tho....that said, he should be able to perform with the other guys....our top two lines should produce regardless of how they're configured (lots of talent there). Lupul's showing this year is a HUGE reason for our subpar year. I've never seen a guy his size that gets knocked off the puck in the corners so easily.

Conklin had huge potential IMO....but the start of the year and the fans/media getting on him killed any momentum or confidence he had. He's a pretty young guy, goalies develop slowly...this town is pretty good at eating it's young...

Bergeron has potential, but he makes SOOOO many mistakes. You're also right about him playing too many minutes.

And again...I agree that Lowe has waited too long...he's been able to pull deadline deals out of his hat in the past, but he should have known that outlet pass/PP QB's are probably the rarest breed in the NHL...waiting till the deadline to find one was not a good plan, now it's probably too late.

It is too late....Lowe pretty much admitted that in an Edmonton paper...said he was not giving up young talent for a decent D-man....asking prices re way too high....meaning I will wait to UFA hits before doing anything....another note Smytty and his agent are meeting with Oilers brass this weekend to talk contract...I expect him too be signed before the weekend...well I hope :)

Lupul has been a BIG disappointment...BUT Smid is INCREDIBLE FOR 20 years old....he will be our #1 guy for a very long time....he is a beauty of a player...I really think that MacT should take the leash off of him and let become more of a puck moving D-man...he has shown signs of great skating and smooth puck handling.....
  • Options
    ok....your oilers just traded Marc-Andre Bergeron to my islanders for Denis Grebeshkov.....what are we getting in Bergeron....why did he fall out of favor in Edmonton? As for Grebs.....he played 30 something games for us last season....he was pretty solid for a rookie dman...wasnt shy about hitting...but his overall game could use some improvement...obviously, being that he's still just a kid.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    long red wrote:
    ok....your oilers just traded Marc-Andre Bergeron to my islanders for Denis Grebeshkov.....what are we getting in Bergeron....why did he fall out of favor in Edmonton? As for Grebs.....he played 30 something games for us last season....he was pretty solid for a rookie dman...wasnt shy about hitting...but his overall game could use some improvement...obviously, being that he's still just a kid.

I'm kind of in shock....
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    is this player the isles just got any good, i want some feedback oilers fans
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    is this player the isles just got any good, i want some feedback oilers fans

He is good. He's FAST and has a hell of a hard shot. He was being played too much too fast, too many minutes in a game, and he wasn't able to keep up with that. He's a damn good player and I'm really disappointed in this trade.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Can't believe that trade.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    prljamgirl wrote:
    He is good. He's FAST and has a hell of a hard shot. He was being played too much too fast, too many minutes in a game, and he wasn't able to keep up with that. He's a damn good player and I'm really disappointed in this trade.
    nice so we got a good d-man then, can this guy hit or hes more of an offense d-man type
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    nice so we got a good d-man then, can this guy hit or hes more of an offense d-man type

Offensive d-man totally
  • Options
    poor oilers fans...it looks like your team is in a selling mood...and only one year removed from a stanley cup appearance. well, thanks for the solid dman!
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    long red wrote:

He has a very heavy shot....he can skate fast...cannot check worth a damn and will cough the puck up at least 5-10x/night in his end.....

I hope MAB does well......
  • Options
    Decent game tonight, lets keep it up!
    Go Oil!
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009