Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602
    Woooooohooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,151
    Fuck can you believe trading the heart and soul of the team and doing this on the Messier retirement night!!! Talk about a shitty atmosphere for what should be a great celebration tonight......Bet K-Lo is going to get a real warm welcome tonight!!!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    BUFFALOBUFFALO Posts: 760
    oiler fans how are you feelin about this trade wow ....id be pretty irate, smyth is your team
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,
    MSG 2 08, Buffalo 10, Hamilton 11

Smyth turned down $5.5/year for 5 years....he wanted $6.0/year....I love the man and it hurts to see him go but really I think that is a little too much....PLUS he may still sign in the off-season....rather get something in return than nothing.....we got some food prospects...however this is an example of the towel being thrown in for the season.....
  • Options
    I dont even know what to do... :( my heart is broken.
  • Options
    nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    That sucks. I really like Ryan. He's such a damn good player. I can't believe he went to the Islanders. He IS Edmonton hockey, or was I guess. Fuck...
  • Options
    it's a sad day :(
  • Options
    Truly a sad day for the team... :(

I know I just replied to EG's thread but it bears repeating..
  • Options
    For some reason these two former dynasties like to trade with each other (Peca, Niinimaa, Salo...) We'll see who will eventually be the winner in this.

Other sad Edmonton related news over here is that a cabinet fell over Esa Tikkanen's son (1year 9months old) and he's in critical condition not sure if he'll survive.
  • Options
    As much as it sucks....it has happended before....come on trading Gretzky was WAY BIGGER AND UPSETTING than Smyth.....we will all get through this and hopefully will be a better team because of it....which obivously is not going to be today....but we have lots of trading bait to contend next year (hate saying it but it is true).....GO OILERS!

Cannot wait to see the bandwagon get a little more empty now that the Oilers are, most likely, going to miss the play-offs...and at least in this thread there are no bandwagon fans....just true fans and that is good to see and hear.....
  • Options
    For some reason these two former dynasties like to trade with each other (Peca, Niinimaa, Salo...) We'll see who will eventually be the winner in this.

Other sad Edmonton related news over here is that a cabinet fell over Esa Tikkanen's son (1year 9months old) and he's in critical condition not sure if he'll survive.

oh my god ! that's horrible.. we should all pray for him.
  • Options
    As much as it sucks....it has happended before....come on trading Gretzky was WAY BIGGER AND UPSETTING than Smyth.....we will all get through this and hopefully will be a better team because of it....which obivously is not going to be today....but we have lots of trading bait to contend next year (hate saying it but it is true).....GO OILERS!

Cannot wait to see the bandwagon get a little more empty now that the Oilers are, most likely, going to miss the play-offs...and at least in this thread there are no bandwagon fans....just true fans and that is good to see and hear.....

you know.. as much as I loved Gretzky, I love Ryan more.. he plays with more heart and soul and is hockey Canada to me... rough and tumble... Gretzky was more fragile.. not as tough.. but a great player for sure. And at least Ryan isn't leaving because his wife wants' to pursue an acting career.. like what happened to Janet's acting career? haha
  • Options
    grant fuhr is on "pros vs. joes" :)
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    Still cant believe Smytthy was traded. WTF? You know though, I blame him and his STUPID agent more than anything, the Oil offered him 5.4million for five years and he didnt take it (plus he would have been 36 at the end of thefive year deal). Give me a break Smytthy I love you but you or your agent are idiots (likely both). If you loved E Town so bad, why wouldnt you stay and what then were all those crocodile tears about?
    Edmontons downfall all started last year with the exodus of Pronger? I'm still cheering for the Oil though....however futile it may be.
    GO OIL!!!!
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    Wow have our Oilers ever hit the skids....wow!

But I see one positive and that is the kid Nilsson we got from the Islanders....wow what a great debut performance last night....gets a goal plus played IMHO the best hockey of any Oiler on the ice.....he will be a full timer next year...
  • Options
    Wow have our Oilers ever hit the skids....wow!

But I see one positive and that is the kid Nilsson we got from the Islanders....wow what a great debut performance last night....gets a goal plus played IMHO the best hockey of any Oiler on the ice.....he will be a full timer next year...

Hey!! I know, he's fantastic! I was at the game last night and it took a little while for him to get comfortable out there. But around the middle of the second period, you really took notice of him. The thing that I noticed about him is that what he lacks in experience (53 games with NYI isn't a lot) he makes up for in hockey smarts. You can see that he thinks the game.
  • Options
    prljamgirl wrote:
    Hey!! I know, he's fantastic! I was at the game last night and it took a little while for him to get comfortable out there. But around the middle of the second period, you really took notice of him. The thing that I noticed about him is that what he lacks in experience (53 games with NYI isn't a lot) he makes up for in hockey smarts. You can see that he thinks the game.

Made our power-play 5x better....BUT he should be with Petr and Joffery....give this kid, with obvious playmaking abilities, some time with the shooters....instead of playing with, and sorry if this offends some Oiler fans, plugs like Thor (sorry but this guy to me is not NHL calibre...meaning if the NHL was to retract six teams, which they should, he would not be in the NHL).....a guy like Sykes needs a playmaker has been indifferent since Hemmer moved from his line....
  • Options
    prljamgirl wrote:

Also kudos to you for staying true to the copper and blue...lately I have been seeing an enourmous weight off the "band-wagon"....regardless of how crappy they have been I will watch the games....GO OILERS!
  • Options
    Made our power-play 5x better....BUT he should be with Petr and Joffery....give this kid, with obvious playmaking abilities, some time with the shooters....instead of playing with, and sorry if this offends some Oiler fans, plugs like Thor (sorry but this guy to me is not NHL calibre...meaning if the NHL was to retract six teams, which they should, he would not be in the NHL).....a guy like Sykes needs a playmaker has been indifferent since Hemmer moved from his line....

I totally agree. He should be out there with Sykora and Lupul. That would be a great line. And honestly, they should just try playing with the lines right now....they have nothing to lose and what they're doing right now hasn't been producing very much.
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    I'm glad you're "down there" for us!

Signed,
    Avs Fan
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    CServant wrote:
    I'm glad you're "down there" for us!

Signed,
    Avs Fan

Hey I want you guys to catch the Flames....so good luck in your play-off run....at least that way Shames fans can join us on the golf course....
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    Hey I want you guys to catch the Flames....so good luck in your play-off run....at least that way Shames fans can join us on the golf course....

Your all Class in your response Rockin'InCanada! I'm sure if the Oilers were buyers instead od sellers at the trade deadline, it'd still be a 3 team race. Sometimes, I think I'm a misplaced Canadian...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    The talk around here in Canes Country is that Ray Whitney may head home to Alberta next year. The Canes probably won't pay what he will command as a free agent coming off the career year he is having. Edmonton will be looking for some offense (especially if Smyth isn't resigned) and he has ties up there.
    Brian
  • Options
    CServant wrote:
    Your all Class in your response Rockin'InCanada! I'm sure if the Oilers were buyers instead od sellers at the trade deadline, it'd still be a 3 team race. Sometimes, I think I'm a misplaced Canadian...

I have always respected the Av's....they are a good franchise and a success story for hockey in an American city....
  • Options
    NCBRI wrote:
    The talk around here in Canes Country is that Ray Whitney my head home to Alberta next year. The Canes probably won't pay what he will command as a free agent coming off the career year he is having. Edmonton will be looking for some offense (especially if Smyth isn't resigned) and he has ties up there.

Maybe...each and everyday I am glad Lowe decided to trade Smyth...because without a doubt in my mind he would of left when some team throws a ludicrous $6M/year contract to a guy who has NEVER got more than 70 points...may have all the heart in the world and I love the guy and wish him the best...but Lowe made a good move...the Oil. will be back in the running next year...lots of cash now to get an actual "elite" player (which is someone in the top 15 in league scoring)

Also to add-in Smyth will not be re-signed in Edmonton and I am certain of that....
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    yup, I agree....Nilsson looked good, Smytty's not worth 6 mil, and Lecavalier might be available this summer. OR we can make a stupid offer to Iginla to mess with the Flames.

And hells yes, Go AVS....screw the flames, if I see Flame flags this year I'm going to be choked. I just found out that cjay in Calgary was calling itself the "unofficial home of the Carolina Hurricanes" during our the finals, after most of Edmonton got behind the Flames the previous playoff year....not to mention all the other crap I've read online (including here) about how their fans treated Oiler fans, etc.

But yeah...this last run has been depressing...my boss was trying to give away our company tix last night and no one wanted them...he was laughing that it was like he was holding Trapper tickets :D. I'm going to the Av's game next Friday....I"m sure it will be like going to church.
  • Options
    yup, I agree....Nilsson looked good, Smytty's not worth 6 mil, and Lecavalier might be available this summer. OR we can make a stupid offer to Iginla to mess with the Flames.

And hells yes, Go AVS....screw the flames, if I see Flame flags this year I'm going to be choked. I just found out that cjay in Calgary was calling itself the "unofficial home of the Carolina Hurricanes" during our the finals, after most of Edmonton got behind the Flames the previous playoff year....not to mention all the other crap I've read online (including here) about how their fans treated Oiler fans, etc.

But yeah...this last run has been depressing...my boss was trying to give away our company tix last night and no one wanted them...he was laughing that it was like he was holding Trapper tickets :D. I'm going to the Av's game next Friday....I"m sure it will be like going to church.

lol...I was speaking to a co-worker yesterday (hard-core Oil fan) who lives in Calgary and he told me that he had to take his Oilers flag off his window everytime he parked in Calgary b/c Oiler fans through-out the city were having their windows broken during the last run...what is the deal with Calgary people...like I said to you before Edmonton people hate the Flames...Calgary people hate Edmonton......

Vinny in Oilers silks would be incredible though...would make Smyth such an after-thought everyone would be "Ryan Smyth....who?"
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    o'mara is the prospect everyone loved on the island. he will be the better of the 2 prospects u guys got from us in 3-4 years.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=dw-bettman012907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Great article on how Bettman has ruined the NHL...if posted before I apologize....