PJ Girlies let's talk beauty tips!

Comments

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    this sounds like fun! :)

not sure what sort of tips i can provide, not like i know a whole helluva lot haha but one company whose products i absolutely *adore* is lush: http://www.lush.com/

they had me with the name alone :D

they got some of the most delicious handmade soaps, creams, i'm currently an addict for the silky underwear dusting powder....positively divine! if you are fortunate enough to have a shop nearby, do pop in, it's an indulgence for all the senses :)

Yes! Lush is almost the only skin and hair care I use. There stuff is really, really fresh, and it smells so good. Do you like Honey I Washed the Kids soap? One of my favorites, as is Demon in the Dark and Rockstar. Their moisturizers are awesome and they make really great solid shampoo and conditioner bars which make it very easy to travel. If I was rich enough I'd open a Lush store in my town - I could totally sell it. They also have great skin cleansers like Herbalism and Aquamarina. I encourage everyone to try a few things from there!

In terms of basic beauty tips, my biggest ones are do not smoke and stay out of the sun, and exercise. It will keep you looking about 10 years younger than your peers. My kids tell me their friends think I'm in my 30's, and I'm in my 40's.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    libragirl wrote:
    I use a cheap one by conair. It has adjustable heat which is good. I really don't like using flat irons too much since it fries my hair. I hear Chi makes a good one.

I have a Conair one - I spray some kind of spray made by Chi on my hair before I straighten it though. My daughter says Chi are the best flat irons, though I'm not planning to buy one any time soon.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Sorry to interrupt, but if you wanted a thread that would go unread by the homophobic men on these boards, this is the one!
    :)

ok, carry-on!

That may be true. But if there is a thread that should be read by smart husbands, this is the one. I am getting a lot of great little gift ideas for my wife. Thanks ladies!
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • i'll have to check into those brands of flat irons
    i was so shocked when i tried the new one and it didn't get hot enough!
    the shit part is that the old one was Vidal Sassoon and the new one is also that brand!!!!
    doesn't make sense

i also tried some new conditioner and hair creme by SunSilk and it smells wonderful and it was cheap! (for straight styling)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~PJ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ KoL ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1/14/95, Charlotte 2000, 2003:4/15, 4/16, 7/1, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/9, 2006: 5/27, 5/28, 5/30;6/17/08, 6/28/08
    *** www.myspace.com/pirljamgirl***
  • wow! i just googled chi flat irons and the prices were around 100 bucks! OMG!!!!

i paid 10 for the Vidal Sassoon at Wal-Mart!!!!

YIKES!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~PJ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ KoL ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1/14/95, Charlotte 2000, 2003:4/15, 4/16, 7/1, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/9, 2006: 5/27, 5/28, 5/30;6/17/08, 6/28/08
    *** www.myspace.com/pirljamgirl***
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    This is sad to say, but I cannot go a day without my Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant:

http://www.dermalogica.com/

I used to have cystic acne, and now I do not. :)

And if you want extra strong nails, no joke, you need this:

http://www.livingnail.net/

And I like the music on the website. :)
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    wow! i just googled chi flat irons and the prices were around 100 bucks! OMG!!!!

i paid 10 for the Vidal Sassoon at Wal-Mart!!!!

YIKES!!!
    the chi is really expensive but its well worth it. im on my 2nd right now and i love it. the first one lasted about 4 years. i have long, thick, curly hair and i can get it straight as a board in 20 minutes. i tried several of the cheaper ones and they never worked for me.
  • PJGARDEN wrote:
    the chi is really expensive but its well worth it. im on my 2nd right now and i love it. the first one lasted about 4 years. i have long, thick, curly hair and i can get it straight as a board in 20 minutes. i tried several of the cheaper ones and they never worked for me.

I have fine straight as a board hair :o

I HATE YOU :p
  • roarroar Posts: 1,116
    PJGARDEN wrote:

I agree. You really get what you pay for with flat irons.

drug-store level:
    conair/vidal sassoon's don't work well for people who actually need a flat iron. (i.e. wild wavy like mine or super curly)

sally beauty supply level:
    helen of troy burned the crap out of my hair
    the Jilbere de Paris irons worked well... for about 6 months each, then they crapped out on me

consensus:
    the chi is worth the money...
    because you would have to spend the money replacing multiple $10-50 crapshoots.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I have fine straight as a board hair :o

I HATE YOU :p
    lol! i guess we all want what we dont have. curly hair is a pain. trust me.
  • PJGARDEN wrote:

It is true hey.. if I had curly hair I would likely be cursing it. I am actually getting a new do tomorrow :D

Of course, I have vowed to never do another perm :eek: :o
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    libragirl wrote:
    I use a cheap one by conair. It has adjustable heat which is good. I really don't like using flat irons too much since it fries my hair. I hear Chi makes a good one.
    Chi is considered a really good one....if u want heat but not fry ur hair try a ceramic one.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    two words: lip plumper.
    i love it. makes my lips ever so soft...lipstick goes on beautifully, and sure...i guess it at least temporarily plumps your lips ever so lusciously. ;) i've gotten more than a few compliments on my lips...so it must do 'something' anyway........:p

oh and moisturizer with built in sunblock....wonderful! i especially like aveeno's positively radiant mositurizer for the face...again, i get many compliments on my skin...the 'freshness' so i think it helps. it feels good too!

*late edit...as usual, dyslexic/pathetic typos....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jeanie wrote:
    We've got lush here too chiq. But I have a bit of a problem with the overwhelming smell of the place.

in total agreeance. just walking past the place makes me gag. of course i am a sensitive soul. ;):p

alas i have no beauty tips. i just ain't girlie enough. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    JaneNY wrote:
    Yes! Lush is almost the only skin and hair care I use. There stuff is really, really fresh, and it smells so good. Do you like Honey I Washed the Kids soap? One of my favorites, as is Demon in the Dark and Rockstar. Their moisturizers are awesome and they make really great solid shampoo and conditioner bars which make it very easy to travel. If I was rich enough I'd open a Lush store in my town - I could totally sell it. They also have great skin cleansers like Herbalism and Aquamarina. I encourage everyone to try a few things from there!

In terms of basic beauty tips, my biggest ones are do not smoke and stay out of the sun, and exercise. It will keep you looking about 10 years younger than your peers. My kids tell me their friends think I'm in my 30's, and I'm in my 40's.
    i've used 'honey i washed the kids', it's yummy! my other favorites are banana moon, sexy peel, the therapy massage bar as a moisturizer for my arms and legs, mmmmm. and yes that dusting powder, i especially love sprinkling it on my sheets before getting into bed :)
    two words: lip lumper.
    i love it. makes my lips ever so soft...lipstick goes on beautifully, and sure...i guess it at least twemporarily plumps your lips ever so lusciously. ; ) i've gotten more than a few compliments on my lips...so it must do 'something' anyway........: p

oh and mositurizer with built in sunblock....wonderful! i especially like aveeno's positively radiant mositurizer for the face...again, i get many compliments on my skin...the 'freshness' so i think it helps. it feels good too!
    i love aveeno positively smooth too, they make good stuff :)
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    the shit part is that the old one was Vidal Sassoon and the new one is also that brand!!!!
    doesn't make sense

That's the same brand I've got, and I confess it's been taken out of the box maybe twice in the whole time I've had it. But it's only a straightening iron and I wanted to get those pink curling/straightening irons so I could straighten or curl if I wanted. They had some here for Breast Cancer awareness but they were about $300 so I never got them. They looked a bit like the pink one on this Chi page.

http://www.ballbeauty.com/chi_ceramic_straightening_iron.htm
    drivingrl wrote:
    ..And if you want extra strong nails, no joke, you need this:

http://www.livingnail.net/

I've been taking one of these each morning and FINALLY my hair is growing and looking healthy again and the psoriasis on my head is nearly all gone.
    Not to mention my skin looks much better and my nails have been growing really long and strong which is almost unheard of for me!

http://www.herron.com.au/products/nhc/hair_skin_nails.html

Plus I paint them with Sally Hansen Hard as Nails.

http://www.sallyhansen.com/prod_bundle.cfm?bundle=7
    I have fine straight as a board hair.
    PJGARDEN wrote:

Would you believe that my fine hair can be straightened with a round brush and the hair dryer and if I want it curly I can just scrunch dry it and it comes out all bouncy? Of course it's pretty wispy some days but I can do it either straight or curly depending on how I dry it. DON'T HATE ME! I can't get it to grow long anymore! And it's still gets really flat, really quick in hot weather.
    ..oh and mositurizer with built in sunblock....wonderful!

I totally agree dream! And would always buy moisturizer with SPF 15 in it, but I've been having trouble with the heavier moisturizers and sunblocks so I swapped to Body Shops Aloe Vera Moisturizer to cool my skin down and it's working great, but unfortunately no sun block in it.

in total agreeance. just walking past the place makes me gag. of course i am a sensitive soul.

alas i have no beauty tips. i just ain't girlie enough.

Yeah, me too cate! I have to give it a wide berth much of the time, but I am getting better and dealing with it. It seemed much worse when it first opened. Perhaps my nose and eyes are becoming desensitized to it. :)

You'll know stuff cate! About healthy hair and skin and nails. Or shaving/waxing techniques. You've got beautiful hair, you must do something to get it looking so nice. :)

Anyway, I'm stoked to see that you luffalee laytees have all come and joined the fun. A lot of great tips there! Thanks! :)

Oh and pie and joejoe? :D Good to see you too! ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    My favorite leave-in conditioner of all time is Redken Extreme Anti-Snap. I was introduced to this by a hair stylist at the end of my first winter in Chicago. My hair was so dry and frizzy, and this quickly turned it all around. It was amazing!

I still use it, even now that I don't live in Chicago, because I color my hair often and that can really dry your hair out. You only need to use a very tiny amount, and it lasts FOREVER. It really smells great, too. Hubby is always smelling my hair. :D
    Jeanie wrote:
    You'll know stuff cate! About healthy hair and skin and nails. Or shaving/waxing techniques. You've got beautiful hair, you must do something to get it looking so nice. :)

my nails are shit jeanie. and i don't even brush my hair. last time i was at the hairdresser was 1988. and waxing. what the hell is that? i've never waxed anything in my life. i shave my legs when i feel like it and hardly ever during winter. my entire beauty routine consists of a facial scrub 3 times a week, daily washing with dove soap and moisturising my entire body when i have the time and actually remember.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i've used 'honey i washed the kids', it's yummy! my other favorites are banana moon, sexy peel, the therapy massage bar as a moisturizer for my arms and legs, mmmmm. and yes that dusting powder, i especially love sprinkling it on my sheets before getting into bed :)

Righto chiqui! Knock it off! :p Anybody'd think you worked for em!
    They should be paying you for getting the rest of us addicted! :D Even I'm starting to get a hankering to go visit them now! :p
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    My favorite leave-in conditioner of all time is Redken Extreme Anti-Snap. I was introduced to this by a hair stylist at the end of my first winter in Chicago. My hair was so dry and frizzy, and this quickly turned it all around. It was amazing!

I still use it, even now that I don't live in Chicago, because I color my hair often and that can really dry your hair out. You only need to use a very tiny amount, and it lasts FOREVER. It really smells great, too. Hubby is always smelling my hair. :D

I used to get my hairdresser to do a deep conditioning treatment every so often. I think I've had that redken stuff at some point. It works well! :)

I have to confess that everytime I wash my hair with the Body Shop Honey Conditioner I just WISH that someone was around to smell my hair! ;):p
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    my nails are shit jeanie. and i don't even brush my hair. last time i was at the hairdresser was 1988. and waxing. what the hell is that? i've never waxed anything in my life. i shave my legs when i feel like it and hardly ever during winter. my entire beauty routine consists of a facial scrub 3 times a week, daily washing with dove soap and moisturising my entire body when i have the time and actually remember.

Not fair! Must be your diet then! Coz you look pretty well kept to me catie girl! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Jeanie wrote:
    Righto chiqui! Knock it off! :p Anybody'd think you worked for em!
    They should be paying you for getting the rest of us addicted! :D Even I'm starting to get a hankering to go visit them now! :p
    hahaha yeah they should hook me up with a free bath bomb or something for all this damn promotion. dammit! lol

and i like being a pied piper for decadence, hell yeah :D although i'm not sure what 'pied' means.

and now i want pie :o lol
    Jeanie wrote:
    Not fair! Must be your diet then! Coz you look pretty well kept to me catie girl! :)

why thank you girlie. :)

i don't own a hairdryer either. i let the wind dry my hair. i did however just lop 12 inches off it last week and am about to put a dye through it. black red i believe it's called. from the lovely people at schwarzkopf.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    Hey Jeanie my dear how are you?

Ok, first and foremost did someone mention Sephora?

I think it's Sephora.com, do they have one by you?

They have everything. It's like a candy store for beauty products

Second,
    let's see.
    I don't know if I have tips
    I don't really wear make up unless I go out

I like Aveeno moisturizer
    and Neutrogena products
    I have oily and sensitive skin so I like Clinique as well, esp. their eye make up remover
    and L'Occitane en Provence has the best hand cream! It's pricey but it's worth it
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Allie02 wrote:

i haven't worn make up since the 80s. though i do paint my toenails black.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    hahaha yeah they should hook me up with a free bath bomb or something for all this damn promotion. dammit! lol

and i like being a pied piper for decadence, hell yeah :D although i'm not sure what 'pied' means.

and now i want pie : o lol

:D Pies front and centre chiq! That's me! :)

Yeah, LMAO! :D A both bomb is the least they can do!

Little Miss Decadence you are! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    why thank you girlie. :)

i don't own a hairdryer either. i let the wind dry my hair. i did however just lop 12 inches off it last week and am about to put a dye through it. black red i believe it's called. from the lovely people at schwarzkopf.

You are most welcome love. :) A very attractive girlie you are. :)

ooh! black red sounds like it would look very hot in your hair! BUT 12 INCHES????? Bloody hell! It must be short! How you coping with that?
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Allie02 wrote:
    Hey Jeanie my dear how are you?

Ok, first and foremost did someone mention Sephora?

I think it's Sephora.com, do they have one by you?

They have everything. It's like a candy store for beauty products

Second,
    let's see.
    I don't know if I have tips

I like Aveeno moisturizer
    and Neutrogena products
    I have oily and sensitive skin so I like Clinique as well, esp. their eye make up remover
    and L'Occitane en Provence has the best hand cream! It's pricey but it's worth it

Hi Allie girl! :) How's you?
    I'm just racing out the door but had to say I LOVE Neutrogena products and Clinique! Especially neutrogena cleanser and the clinic intensive night cream. :)

Oh and that L'Occitane stuff is to die for!!!! :) The hand cream did magical things to my hands! I wish I had some of it right now, all this bloody dog business has dried my hands right out from all the washing!
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    You are most welcome love. :) A very attractive girlie you are. :)

ooh! black red sounds like it would look very hot in your hair! BUT 12 INCHES????? Bloody hell! It must be short! How you coping with that?

it sits nicely at my shoulders. i'm coping with it fine. it's just through laziness i allow it to grow so long. plus i'm loving the cute ponytail i have now. it tickles the back of my neck. :D

funnily enough, the other day miss zoe(8) asked me how i get my hair so straight. i laughed and told her it's a natural gift i was born with. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    Jeanie wrote:
    Hi Allie girl! :) How's you?
    I'm just racing out the door but had to say I LOVE Neutrogena products and Clinique! Especially neutrogena cleanser and the clinic intensive night cream. :)

Oh and that L'Occitane stuff is to die for!!!! :) The hand cream did magical things to my hands! I wish I had some of it right now, all this bloody dog business has dried my hands right out from all the washing!

No wonder why we get along :)

I'm ok Jeanie,
    hanging in there,
    super busy
    Potential interview (hence my post about 'Sugar Hill' area, not sure if it's sketchy or not)
    also going tomorrow to see about a part time job at a fancy karaoke restaurant in Times Square, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Plus I went to a staffing agency in the am so I've been super busy. I'll keep you posted !
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!