Options

'Sopranos' final season to begin April 8

Comments

• Options
    i thought it was pretty funny when paulie came in to see tony, and the nurse said "one at a time"...meadow says "she's a real ball buster"...pretty funny, given paulie's recent accident i thought :)
  • Options
    eddies grrleddies grrl Posts: 509
    i thought it was pretty funny when paulie came in to see tony, and the nurse said "one at a time"...meadow says "she's a real ball buster"...pretty funny, given paulie's recent accident i thought :)

:D i didn't make that connection, but that's true. good stuff.

this show is actually getting better... like a fine (italian) wine. :)
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    culot, just an opinion, but i think the fact that it was an asian doctor checking tony's pupil's in a previous episode partially contributed to tony bringing the buddhists into his "dream"...that and the religous significance of questioning what is the afterlife or where we go...as tony was lost in the dream...maybe grasping at straws there...

Thats an interesting theory. I think you're probably on the right track because what was going on in the hospital directly interfered with Tony's experience in limbo. The lights from the helicopter last week were the lights from the hospital and right before Tony almost loses his briefcase he sees the winds in the trees and hears a voice saying "don't leave us daddy" which was obviously Meadow but not the regular voice of Meadow.

I would love for David Chase to explain this whole sequence at some point because it is very confusing but totally intriguing. When Tony was in the bar talking to the bartender he says " What if I am Kevin Finnerty but I just don't remember". Something tells me this is very important. Was Kevin Finnerty the man Tony was meant to be. I am speaking about God's will for man and this is very complicated to try and explain. Not saying people wouldn't understand it, I just don't know how to write it. Kevin Finnerty doesn't seem like a saint either though. He was getting sued for being a shady businessman by a bunch of monks. I am also still confused about why the voices of Tony and his family were different and the children were younger than they are now.

There has been a lot of really good thinking going on in this thread and I enjoy reading these different interpretations and theories.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    I was thinking that the Kevin Finnerty thing was all the life that he could have had if he'd gone straight. Everything in his life would be completely different. The way he handles problems, his professional life, and his personal life all of these things would be completely foreign to him. So different that he would have a Schmoe name like Kevin Finnerty. Maybe he married later in life or waited to have children because his career wasn't set. As Kevin Finnerty he had the problems of a normal person. Etc. Anyway, that was what I was thinking.

The question is, was Tony diagnosed with alsheimers because he fears getting it, or because it was weighing on his mind because of Junior? Or could it be that he was foreshadowing the fact that he soon will be diagnosed with it? It will be interesting to see if Tony gets diagnosed soon.
    "My road may be lonely
    just because it's not paved

it's good for drifting away..."
    "What's the score?"
    "Nothing, nothing."
    "Who's winning?"
    "The Bears."
  • Options
    I am totally getting hooked on this show.
    I just saw that Steve Buchemi is the director, how cool is that?
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I was thinking that the Kevin Finnerty thing was all the life that he could have had if he'd gone straight. Everything in his life would be completely different. The way he handles problems, his professional life, and his personal life all of these things would be completely foreign to him. So different that he would have a Schmoe name like Kevin Finnerty. Maybe he married later in life or waited to have children because his career wasn't set. As Kevin Finnerty he had the problems of a normal person. Etc. Anyway, that was what I was thinking.

The question is, was Tony diagnosed with alsheimers because he fears getting it, or because it was weighing on his mind because of Junior? Or could it be that he was foreshadowing the fact that he soon will be diagnosed with it? It will be interesting to see if Tony gets diagnosed soon.

I can't remember if Kevin finds out he has Alzheimers before or after the doctor tells Carmella that Tony may have brain damage? If Tony overheard that on some level, that could explain Kevin's diagnosis that seemed to come from out of nowhere.
  • Options

You know last season something happened that they never really explained. When Tony was getting all coked up with Adriana she told him about her irratable bowel or whatever. Tony responded by telling her about a cancer or something he had on his head and they never said anything else about it. That isn't Alzheimers I know but maybe its somehow related. The Alzheimers may also be some kind of a metaphor or better yet a message from God saying change your path and forget about this Tony Soprano life or maybe you won't be going to Heaven. The show deals in religion and more specifically Catholicism so I really pay attention to the spiritual aspect I know I'm pulling shit way out of left field now but somehow all of this has to be connected.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    Thats an interesting theory. I think you're probably on the right track because what was going on in the hospital directly interfered with Tony's experience in limbo. The lights from the helicopter last week were the lights from the hospital and right before Tony almost loses his briefcase he sees the winds in the trees and hears a voice saying "don't leave us daddy" which was obviously Meadow but not the regular voice of Meadow.

I would love for David Chase to explain this whole sequence at some point because it is very confusing but totally intriguing. When Tony was in the bar talking to the bartender he says " What if I am Kevin Finnerty but I just don't remember". Something tells me this is very important. Was Kevin Finnerty the man Tony was meant to be. I am speaking about God's will for man and this is very complicated to try and explain. Not saying people wouldn't understand it, I just don't know how to write it. Kevin Finnerty doesn't seem like a saint either though. He was getting sued for being a shady businessman by a bunch of monks. I am also still confused about why the voices of Tony and his family were different and the children were younger than they are now.

There has been a lot of really good thinking going on in this thread and I enjoy reading these different interpretations and theories.

it would be great if, after this season goes to dvd, the coma episodes would be chosen for director commentary. i love watching an episode straight, then going back and watching it with the comment overlay. it explains so much and gives you an inside look at the director's thoughts and some background info on the actors, etc.
    Life is the riddle
    A couple of lucky ones
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    it would be great if, after this season goes to dvd, the coma episodes would be chosen for director commentary. i love watching an episode straight, then going back and watching it with the comment overlay. it explains so much and gives you an inside look at the director's thoughts and some background info on the actors, etc.

Commentary tracks on more than 3 or 4 episodes would be nice. That's one of the only things I don't like about the dvd's now.
    "Bombs dropping down. Please forgive our hometown"
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    AJ is a weirdo.....Van Helsing...lol that was funny
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    I am totally getting hooked on this show.
    I just saw that Steve Buchemi is the director, how cool is that?

He directed a show in his last season and all the cast raved about how good he was. It was on a DVD for Seasons 5 I forget which show he directed and on HBO's short special "Making the Sopranos"
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • Options
    He directed a show in his last season and all the cast raved about how good he was. It was on a DVD for Seasons 5 I forget which show he directed and on HBO's short special "Making the Sopranos"

i can't remember which episode it was either...and didn't he also direct "pine barrens"? i may be...how you say...confuse?? :D
  • Options
    I think it was the episode where Tony meets his fathers old mistress.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • Options
    Buscemi directed the following episodes according to IMDB:

In Camelot (2004)
    Everybody Hurts ( 2002)
    Pine Barrens (2001)

and the upcoming episode 5 for this season titled.. Mr and Mrs Sacramoni Request
  • Options

Yeah its kind of fun trying to figure all this out but at some point I would definately want some sort of creative commentary from the brainchild because this stuff is very arthouse. It might be a while though because nothing in Soprano land is ever done quickly. We get 12 episodes now then there is the mini-break and I think in December the series concludes with the remaining episodes. It might be a couple years yet before the DVD's from this season are released in full but who knows how they decide to package this thing.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    Buscemi directed the following episodes according to IMDB:

In Camelot (2004)
    Everybody Hurts ( 2002)
    Pine Barrens (2001)

and the upcoming episode 5 for this season titled.. Mr and Mrs Sacramoni Request

cool, thanks culot4. :)
  • Options
    Bada BING! Even in the hospital, he takes no shit.

Church guy: "Dinosaurs and humans existed together."
    Tony: "You mean like the Flintstones?"

:D
    Life is the riddle
    A couple of lucky ones
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    What is with his son?
    Yeah I just started watching this season, have HBO now.
    When he was coming out and everyone is talking to him, his son is just sitting there.
  • Options
    vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,079
    Paulie's going to get whacked for his underhanded antics.....going against Tony's word. GOD I LOVE this show!!! :D
    Shut the fuck up, stupid.
    ~ Ice Queen
  • Options
    Bada BING! Even in the hospital, he takes no shit.

Church guy: "Dinosaurs and humans existed together."
    Tony: "You mean like the Flintstones?"

:D

It was SO hot when the pastor told Tony he knows about his strip club and Tony says: " Oh...so you've been to the Bing?"

I was laughing my ass off!
    ~ Ice Queen
  • Options
    Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces!

Pink Floyd to close out the show!

Thank God someone finally is seeing Vito for what he is. I bet he is the one who gets the beat down next week from the previews.
  • Options
    Am I the only girl or is there just something about christopher moltisanti?
  • Options
    Okay episode 4 lets discuss:

Tony is up and about talking again but much like his " old " self. He doesn't seem to recall any of his experience except for a comment he makes to the nurse along the lines of " I've been feeling not myself since I woke up from the coma".

Funniest Paulie moment of the night- a picture of Paulie with the caption " Excellence in recycling" So I guess Pulie is the bastard son of his aunt who was also a nun? For a guy thats already fucked up this is bound to send him over the edge considering he has no ability to channel his pain in any other way than violence. His beating of that Barone kid at the end seemed like a preview of even worse things to come. Speaking of the whole Barone/ Chinelli storyline, its just been introduced and I have no real idea about how this fits.

Lots of confusing stuff tonigt. Bob Brewster the born again Christian for one and that saying " Sometimes I go about in great pity for myself and a great wind carries me across the sky" My theory is God is trying to reach Tony to save his soul.

Tony delivers the line of the night to the woman working for the insurance company. "Wallet biopsy?... get out of my room you sick cunt"

Mr Schwinn played by Hal Holbrook sounded amazingly similar to the William Burroghs sound bites they were playing in episode 1. Don't see how his character fit.

Last but not least Carmella says to Tony "watch Vito"....yeah no shit

This seemed like some kind of transitional episode to introduce upcoming storylines and I really need to re-watch this one because I'm sort of lost. Pink Floyd during the closing credits was a nice touch
  • Options
    Am I the only girl or is there just something about christopher moltisanti?

Oh no...you're not the only one. There's something ultra sexy about Christopher. He's definitely got charisma.
    ~ Ice Queen
  • Options
    vmfury wrote:
    Oh no...you're not the only one. There's something ultra sexy about Christopher. He's definitely got charisma.

He's got power baby.
  • Options
    AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
    vmfury wrote:

Christopher?!??!!! Tony getting dressed to leave the hospital!
    Also, I laughed ALOT through this episode!
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
  • Options
    Christopher?!??!!! Tony getting dressed to leave the hospital!
    Also, I laughed ALOT through this episode!

SO....am I correct that you thought Tony getting dressed was sexy? We need to have a talk, girl! ;)
    ~ Ice Queen
  • Options
    AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
    vmfury wrote:
    SO....am I correct that you thought Tony getting dressed was sexy? We need to have a talk, girl! ;)

Ha ha ha ha ha!! Maybe we do!;)
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    another quality episode. very funny. i love how pauli called his mom/aunt a fruad! and how about bobby shooting that dude in the ass?!?! funny stuff....this season is heating up indeed
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    i loved the scene where paulie throws the tv outta the window & the old lady in the wheelchair didnt notice

paulie stole the show, was great to see tony outta bed, nice touch with the tv show he used to watch as a kid bit (kevin's lawsuit?)

agreed 'one of these days' in the end credits, awesome.

wtf w/ the bobby side-story "den ya can be like dr.droop"
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06