Options

'Sopranos' final season to begin April 8

Comments

• Options
    eddies grrleddies grrl Posts: 509
    "all due respect" ;) to those with purgatory theories, but doesn't one have to die before your soul ends up in purgatory? tony's still alive, albeit in a coma, but i think his lost feeling is just a state of the coma. there were the obvious religous references...the screen on the tv with the cross, the fires burning on the other side of town and the bartender saying the town was "dead", tony trying to get into the "conference" to hear the colonel talk (like being at the "pearly gates" and trying to gain entry into the big house to see the big man), and the buddhists, etc....i feel like he is searching for something...like his way home, in a semi-conscious state...and a lot of questions are there that he is trying to understand, like if he'd led a different path in life, where his soul is going, what is his true identity - the loving father, or the "business" man, and so on and so on...

anyway, rambling thoughts about a fantastic episode...

really insightful rambling thoughts from a neo-paisan... ;) here, i made ya a nice bowl of pastavazool. sit, eat. :)

i agree about the purgatory concept. i don't think he's there, yet. i don;t think he's going to die, but who knows. he could stay in a coma for the rest of the series, going in and out of bizarre dream states, maybe incorporating some of the sounds and sights from the outside world into the dreams. those possibilities are endless! meanwhile, everyone around him will be struggling with their own issues. god, i love this show!! :D
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    came across this theory over at BTX- the Springsteen message boards - & thought i'd share this with fellow Jammers.:
    http://www.backstreets.com/btx/viewtopic.php?t=164439&highlight=sopranos+spoiler

I don't think this would be a spoiler, I have now heard it on three NY radio staions, but they won't confirm or deny. Thougt I'd pass it along to you "made" men and women that enjoy the show:

Rumor Has It :
    I heard that Sunday's show WAS the series finale and the next 19 episodes takes place form the end of last season leading UP TO Sundays show. Exhibit a: Tony's neice - where did she come from ? b:Carmela mentioning Adrianna gone a year already. c: Tony never had that boat. ( There was more on the radio but thats all I remember in detail).
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    silly message pit
    double post
    sorry folks
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Rumor Has It :
    I heard that Sunday's show WAS the series finale and the next 19 episodes takes place form the end of last season leading UP TO Sundays show. Exhibit a: Tony's neice - where did she come from ? b:Carmela mentioning Adrianna gone a year already. c: Tony never had that boat. ( There was more on the radio but thats all I remember in detail).

fuckin movie memento gave people all kinds of shitty ideas ;)

i think/hope they just planned to start this season a predetermined amount of time since the last season... it's not like 24 where it's all in order

right?
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    FishOilFishOil Posts: 9
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Rumor Has It :

Could be, but this wouldn't make sense given the preview to Episode 3 that they showed right after episode 2.

Then again, they did this last season. For example, at the end of Season 4 Bobby and Janice are dating. At the beginning of season 5, they are married. I think it's just the show's way of moving things forward and not bogging it down with needless stuff.
    I need a date for the upcoming tour. I'm single, I have a steady job, I'm a big fan of Pearl Jam and I am not a serial killer.
  • Options
    FishOil wrote:
    Then again, they did this last season. For example, at the end of Season 4 Bobby and Janice are dating. At the beginning of season 5, they are married. I think it's just the show's way of moving things forward and not bogging it down with needless stuff.

Agreed. The series has jumped time before. That is one of the cool things about the show, it doesn't restrict itself like other shows. If they want to skip Janice's wedding and other needless crap, then they can.
    "My road may be lonely
    just because it's not paved

it's good for drifting away..."
    "What's the score?"
    "Nothing, nothing."
    "Who's winning?"
    "The Bears."
  • Options
    FishOilFishOil Posts: 9
    If they want to skip Janice's wedding and other needless crap, then they can.

And thank God they did....didn't have much interest in watching Janice and Bobby professing their vows. I'd rather go back to watching water boil.
    I need a date for the upcoming tour. I'm single, I have a steady job, I'm a big fan of Pearl Jam and I am not a serial killer.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Agreed. The series has jumped time before. That is one of the cool things about the show, it doesn't restrict itself like other shows. If they want to skip Janice's wedding and other needless crap, then they can.

I'm hoping that is all that is going on, I would hate to think that last weeks episode was the season finale!
  • Options
    Dollpartz wrote:
    I'm hoping that is all that is going on, I would hate to think that last weeks episode was the season finale!

After the first episode, I thought that that could be a possiblity, but now I think it is pretty clear that the show is moving forward. It seems like a lot of the theories that have been flying around are a little over the top. The man is in a coma. He may live, he may not. The story of the family will move forward regardless.
    "My road may be lonely

"What's the score?"
    "Nothing, nothing."
    "Who's winning?"
    "The Bears."
  • Options
    After the first episode, I thought that that could be a possiblity, but now I think it is pretty clear that the show is moving forward. It seems like a lot of the theories that have been flying around are a little over the top. The man is in a coma. He may live, he may not. The story of the family will move forward regardless.

Exactly. It was compared earlier in this thread to the storyline in Six Feet Under where Nate, the main character, died midway through the season and then the rest of the shows focused on the remaining characters and how they dealt with the loss. I don't necessarily think that Tony will die, but it is interesting now to watch the chaos with all of the other characters while he is in this coma.

It has also been pretty well publicized that Julianna Margulies from ER is going to be on the show this season as Tony's new goomah, so I'm guessing he comes out of the coma well before the end of the season.
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    nothing really happened im the last episode....but it looks like the next one will have some action in it.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options

i disagree. i don't think ANYthing's "clear" right now. but i do think that there would be no show without tony. i don't mean that as my opinion, i mean that he's THE central character and everything basically revolves around him and how he is affected by the other characters. without a tony, there's no series.
    Life is the riddle
    A couple of lucky ones
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I don't feel like looking for the post but someone said what is probably going to end up happening is Tony wakes up to a shit storm. That makes sense...I think Vito is fixin to go down hard. I re-watched the first episode the other day and I didn't even notice he was conspiring to get Gino to turn on Tony after Sil told him he couldn't go to Florida.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    I don't feel like looking for the post but someone said what is probably going to end up happening is Tony wakes up to a shit storm. That makes sense...

that was me. :)
    Life is the riddle
    A couple of lucky ones
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    that was me. :)

Oh that was you?...well I think thats right on...I wonder how Ben Kingsley fits into the picture is the other thing I was wondering.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    Oh that was you?...well I think thats right on...I wonder how Ben Kingsley fits into the picture is the other thing I was wondering.

yupper :)

http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=2924255&postcount=128

i've been wondering that myself. i'm going to check out the hbo site and see if they give us any info...
    Life is the riddle
    A couple of lucky ones
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    From HBO.com/sopranos, for March 26's episode:

"Silvio divides the spoils from Paulie's latest score, and heads off a territorial impasse between Bobby and Vito. Carmela turns to an unexpected source for help with AJ; Christopher turns to an old writing acquaintance, JT Dolan, for help in a new venture. "

also, in the 2006 season trailer, it seems to indicate that tony will wake from the coma at some point and resume power, but it looks as though christopher was one of a few (maybe the only one?) to remain loyal to "T" during his hospitalization.

shit storm, anyone?? :D
    Life is the riddle
    A couple of lucky ones
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    pejamrlpejamrl Posts: 35
    I personally believe Vito is going to cause some trouble and they're going to have to take him out but Vito being Phil Leotardo's cousin is going to piss him off and ignite a feud between New York and New Jersey. Johnny Sack having no control stuck in jail. That's just my theory
    Mansfield Sept 16,98'
    Aug 29,30 00'
    Jul 2,3,11 03'
    Boston Sep 28,29 04'
    Borgata Sep 30 05'
    Hartford May 13 06'
    Boston May 24,25 06'
    Mansfield June 28, 30 08'
    Vedder solo tour Aug 1 08'
  • Options
    pejamrl wrote:
    I personally believe Vito is going to cause some trouble and they're going to have to take him out but Vito being Phil Leotardo's cousin is going to piss him off and ignite a feud between New York and New Jersey. Johnny Sack having no control stuck in jail. That's just my theory

Vito is Phil Leotardo's cousin?...I didn't know that. Phil is another one who may run into some problems. He buried the hatchet with Tony for Johnny Sack's case but this guy also tried to kill Chris and I don't think any of that is forgotten. I just watched Goodfellas after a year or so and never realized Phil played Billy Batts, he was pretty young..."Now go home and get your shinebox"
  • Options
    Only a few more hours until the new episode.

Yes, I am a loser. I know.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    culot4 wrote:
    I wonder how Ben Kingsley fits into the picture is the other thing I was wondering.

I believe that Ben Kingsley plays himself. I remember reading a qoute from Michael Imperoli saying that he did......I'm sure he will somehow be connected to one of Chris' storylines.
  • Options
    I believe that Ben Kingsley plays himself. I remember reading a qoute from Michael Imperoli saying that he did......I'm sure he will somehow be connected to one of Chris' storylines.

Oh really...so I guess Chris gets back into the writing this season. Its like that episode where Jon Favreau played himself I guess. Ben Kingsley is intense I would have loved to see him in a character role.
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    tony is back, baby.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    Man I really love this show. Okay so where are we after tonight...Lets finish out the purgatory sequence. So the briefcase all along represented Tony's connection to his mortal life. The Tony Boldetto scene at the Inn where he was like St. Peter admitting Tony into Heaven was a little strange. There is no doubt in my mind Tony was headed for Heaven I still have no idea what the Buddhist monks were supposed to be symbolic of, I don't even have a theory.

Vito is a coniving prick and I hope he gets what is coming to him. I really don't like that guy. His perverted intimidation on Finn furthered that sentiment. Paulie is a fuckin badass and definately the comic relief to the show yet in a pathetic way. A guy his age with no real power just grinding it out is sort of sad. The way he upset Tony, who was in a coma, just by talking was classic. When Paulie said to Vito " Have a cookie,you're delirious" was so funny

I was wondering when Melfi was going to get involved again. Running into Carmella at the supermarket was too much of a coincidence. Why couldn't she have just shown up at the hospital or initiated a conversation with Carmella. That would have been more believable. Carmella's session with Melfi where she admitted she knew what Tony was about right away was important I think. Carmella has just as much of a moral dilemma as Tony does because she is an accessory. She likes her comfortable life and knows exactly how that is provided to her.

What else happened...Oh yeah Chris' movie idea is so stupid. Saw meets Godfather 2..idiotic. Chris and Bobby confronting AJ about killing Jr. was good because that would have been a dumb storyline with AJ just building up all this bottled up anger. Sil isn't cut out to be the skip I think that much is obvious.

I'm glad to see Tony out of his coma and the mob aspect of the show is going to heat up again to a boiling point I believe.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    culot4 wrote:
    Man I really love this show. Okay so where are we after tonight...Lets finish out the purgatory sequence. So the briefcase all along represented Tony's connection to his mortal life. The Tony Boldetto scene at the Inn where he was like St. Peter admitting Tony into Heaven was a little strange. There is no doubt in my mind Tony was headed for Heaven I still have no idea what the Buddhist monks were supposed to be symbolic of, I don't even have a theory.

Vito is a coniving prick and I hope he gets what is coming to him. I really don't like that guy. His perverted intimidation on Finn furthered that sentiment. Paulie is a fuckin badass and definately the comic relief to the show yet in a pathetic way. A guy his age with no real power just grinding it out is sort of sad. The way he upset Tony, who was in a coma, just by talking was classic. When Paulie said to Vito " Have a cookie,you're delirious" was so funny

I was wondering when Melfi was going to get involved again. Running into Carmella at the supermarket was too much of a coincidence. Why couldn't she have just shown up at the hospital or initiated a conversation with Carmella. That would have been more believable. Carmella's session with Melfi where she admitted she knew what Tony was about right away was important I think. Carmella has just as much of a moral dilemma as Tony does because she is an accessory. She likes her comfortable life and knows exactly how that is provided to her.

What else happened...Oh yeah Chris' movie idea is so stupid. Saw meets Godfather 2..idiotic. Chris and Bobby confronting AJ about killing Jr. was good because that would have been a dumb storyline with AJ just building up all this bottled up anger. Sil isn't cut out to be the skip I think that much is obvious.

I'm glad to see Tony out of his coma and the mob aspect of the show is going to heat up again to a boiling point I believe.

Tony is gonna find out all the shit thats been going on and and take care of business. Love this show.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:

Couldn't agree more with your take on Vito. I think there is gonna be hell to pay, because he may be trying a little too hard to advance, a little too soon. He wasn't very discrete about trying to shift into more power. It may get back to Tony, not that he did anything wrong, but just that he should be watched.

As for Paulie, he has long been my favorite character on the show for his comic relief. He is truly priceless at times. I must also agree with you on his sadness factor. It seems that whenever anyone is mentioned for Boss, Paulie isn't even considered. For an older guy that must suck. There is also the issue of family. While the others are mentioning what would happen to wives and children, Paulie has only his mother. It paints kind of a lonely picture.

Another great episode, can't wait to see Tony as his old self again. I was hoping he wouldn't be mentally defective or slow.
    "My road may be lonely

"What's the score?"
    "Nothing, nothing."
    "Who's winning?"
    "The Bears."
  • Options
    as always, another great episode! is there anyone better than edie falco?! she continues to perform without equal...

it was interesting to see how quickly syl succumbed to the pressure of being number one. perhaps now he will have a better understanding of how tony deals with it. there was a great scene last season where tony and syl were talking about it and tony tells him he has no idea what it's like being number one...

culot, just an opinion, but i think the fact that it was an asian doctor checking tony's pupil's in a previous episode partially contributed to tony bringing the buddhists into his "dream"...that and the religous significance of questioning what is the afterlife or where we go...as tony was lost in the dream...maybe grasping at straws there...

the scene at the inn, where the woman turns her back and goes into the house, was eerily similar to one in a previous season, where tony is dreaming and he can only speak italian...it was the same figure that stood at the top of the stairs in the scene.

can't wait for next sunday! let's hope vito waddles into getting what's coming to him...
  • Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    as always, another great episode! is there anyone better than edie falco?! she continues to perform without equal...

it was interesting to see how quickly syl succumbed to the pressure of being number one. perhaps now he will have a better understanding of how tony deals with it. there was a great scene last season where tony and syl were talking about it and tony tells him he has no idea what it's like being number one...

culot, just an opinion, but i think the fact that it was an asian doctor checking tony's pupil's in a previous episode partially contributed to tony bringing the buddhists into his "dream"...that and the religous significance of questioning what is the afterlife or where we go...as tony was lost in the dream...maybe grasping at straws there...

the scene at the inn, where the woman turns her back and goes into the house, was eerily similar to one in a previous season, where tony is dreaming and he can only speak italian...it was the same figure that stood at the top of the stairs in the scene.

can't wait for next sunday! let's hope vito waddles into getting what's coming to him...

I agree with everything ya said. Is that wrong? lol
  • Options
    joseducajoseduca Posts: 1,272
    my few random comments/2 cents

1- big tough made guys cannot be under pressure. just seeing T in bed is too much for them
    2- carm looking at vito and paulie at the end: priceless
    3- aj is mad because he thinks his mom sent bobby and christuhfuh to check on him? he's clueless
    4- phil leotardo is old school, hats off to his integrity
    5- remember uncle paulie, only possitive talking... madonna! he looks terrible (lol)
    6- bobby coming to sil when he's taking to the hospital? lots of human miseries here...
    7- when tony blundetto tries to get T's briefcase, he's caught between two worlds, he doesn't want to let go his life (briefcase) and he's torn between his daughter calling him and the family waiting for him... i think he got scared when he saw his mother there.
    8- 2 nice quotes: "what do we speak, norwegian?", "i still gotta pee, you want half of it too?"
    Make records, not war...
  • Options
    Last night's episoded was brilliant as usual. I was on the edge of my seat, practially screaming at the television "don't go into the light, Tony!!!!". And the woman at the door had to be Olivia Soprano.

Paulie is hilarious! When he walked in Tony's room and said something like, holy shit, he looks terrible!, I was cracking up and kept on laughing the whole time he was on his rant. Poor Tony is beating on the walls telling him to shut the fuck up, how great was that? Oh, and Paulie and his balls....priceless!

Sil definitely cracked under pressure, knew that was coming. And Vito, he is just disgusting. How ironic is that, he has a beautiful young wife and he's a big fat closet homosexual? Now that Tony has come around, he's shitting himself for running his mouth, it's bound to catch up with him.

Edie Falco once again amazing, but you have to give it up to James Gandolfini too, I thought he was pretty convincing when he came out of the coma and they had him sitting up in the chair, looking so completely out of it with his eyes going in two different directions.

One more observation, the light he kept seeing off in the distance, that beacon, it looked amazingly like his heart monitor to me last night.

It's gonna be another long week until Sunday, but yea, Tony is back, thank God they didn't kill him off, can't imagine the show without him!