The AET Soccer/Football Thread

Comments

• [????????????????/
  • powertool wrote:
    speaking of Beckham, as you said above he hasn't had that magic since he left Manchester but still he's one of the best "english" players of this time, the problem with him is that some media would put him like he's one of the top 5 in the world or something like that which is not true. In my opinion Gerrard and Lampard are far better players than him.
    How quickly we forget what becks has done....it's in vouge to sorta discedit him but fair enuogh........lampard maybe yeah he is younger but not gerrard.Watching him play for real he is easily one of the top 2 on the team and their lack of succes is on zidane ronoldo carlos ect......list goes on.Maybe not top 5 but definetly top 10.also nobody points out the fact that manchester have failed to do anything since he left.....fergeson should be fired
  • ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    [Qfergeson should be fired[/quote]

no way !!! how fast you forget what he has done for united ?
  • Hinny wrote:
    Juninho Pernambucano, Olympique Lyon.

If Juninho wasn't brazilian he'd be one of of the stars to watch in the World Cup but with Ronaldinho and Kaka ahead of him he seems confined to play only the last 10 minutes of the games. One of the differences between Argentina and Brazil with the top Europeans national teams is that more than the quality of their players is the quantity, in Korea/Japan 02' Argentina had over 25 top players to choose from, they even beat Germany in a friendly match with their 2nd team. Camoranesi decided to play for Italy because he had no secure place in Argentina, Trezeguet said once that when in came to decide where he was gonna play he went with France cause it seemed to him that it could be easier to get a spot there that in Argentina(his native country). Deco is the star in Portugal but in Brazil he'd be sitting on the bench. If I'm not mistaken Germany too has a brazilian, Spain in the 90's had brazilian Djalminha and argentinian Pizzi playing for them, Mexico one of the teams that has improved the most in the last decade is taken also one player of each country to the World Cup. And I'm sure that if we look into other "not so strong" teams we'd find another examples. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that southamericans are way better than europeans or anything like that(altough Brazil is the best right now) but what I'm saying is that they seem to have a more quantity of top players available of the same level than in Europe where most teams have like 7 or 8 players that are clear above the rest. I don't know what you guys think of this..., sorry for the long post

ps: this is coming from the perspective of an imparcial american world soccer soccer fan so please give me no shit... heheheh
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • powertool wrote:
    If Juninho wasn't brazilian he'd be one of of the stars to watch in the World Cup but with Ronaldinho and Kaka ahead of him he seems confined to play only that last 10 minutes of the games. One of the differences between Argentina and Brazil with the top Europeans national teams is that more than the quality of their players is the quantity, in Korea/Japan 02' Argentina had over 25 top players to choose from, they even beat Germany in a friendly with their 2nd team. Camoranesi decided to play for Italy because he had no secure place in Argentina, Trezeguet said once that when in came to decide where he was gonna play he went with France cause it seem to him that it could be easier to get a spot there that in Argentina(his native country). Deco is the star in Portugal but in Brazil he'd be sitting on the bench. If I'm not mistaken Germany too has a brazilian, Spain in the 90's had brazilian Djalminha and argentinian Pizzi playing for them, Mexico one of the team that has improved the most in the last decade is taken also one player of each country to the World Cup. And I'm sure that if we look into other "not so strong" teams we'd find another examples. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that southamericans are way better than europeans or anything like that(altough Brazil is the best right now) but what I'm saying is that they seem to have a more quantity of top players available of the same level than in Europe where most teams have like 7 or 8 players that are clear above the rest. I don't know what you guys think of this..., sorry for the long post

ps: this is coming from the perspective of an imparcial american world soccer soccer fan so please give me no shit... heheheh

In Mexico we have another southamerican playing in the national team, he is from Argentina, so i couldn't agree with you more, Brazil and Argentina have so many talented players, it's insane. My guess is that the number one team to defeat in the World cup is Brazil.
    I feel very close to you all now; so close I could almost... loan you money. Really. it goes that deep.
    -Tom Waits-

Everybody should believe in something...I believe i'll have another drink - anonymous -

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk.
    -Barney Gumble-
    on friday the african cup of nations beginns so who is ya favor???
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    on friday the african cup of nations beginns so who is ya favor???
    i think Cameroon and Angola will do pretty well..its always hard to predict an African tournament
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    i think Cameroon and Angola will do pretty well..its always hard to predict an African tournament

yes that´s true what about ivy cost and hey what´s happen with nigeria ?
    Fergie expecting tough battle at Blackburn
    10/1/06 8:34 AM

Fergie Hoping For First Leg Boost At Ewood

Sir Alex Ferguson is expecting round one of the Carling Cup semi-final with Blackburn to be a tough affair as both sides look to gain an early advantage in the two-legged tie.

The United boss will once again face one of his former protégés in Mark Hughes having seen off the challenge of Steve Bruce's Birmingham side in the last round.

Fergie has been hugely impressed with the way Hughes has revitalised Rovers since his arrival in September 2004 and a recent run of three consecutive Premiership victories has seen them climb to eighth in the table.

"It's going to be a tough semi-final because they're in good form," declared Fergie ahead of Wednesday's clash at Ewood Park. "They're a strong outfit who are very hard to beat, I'm expecting a good game.

"Mark arrived at the right time for Blackburn and revitalised the place. They were a hard side to play against last season and things are no different this time round.

"He's added to his squad by bringing Craig Bellamy in and the boy Pedersen has done well for them. He's settled into his second season, as has Robbie Savage and their centre back Ryan Nelson.

"We'll be making some changes but I'll play a side that hopefully sets us up for the second leg."
    Sir Alex Ferguson
    "The players Mark has brought in have had time to develop and they've got better."

Fergie is once again set to ring the changes to his team selection with Saturday's lunchtime kick-off at Manchester City to consider.

"With it being a two-legged tie, we can adapt our team to playing away from home and then see what position we're in for the return leg," explained the United boss who may hand new signing Patrice Evra a place in the squad.

"We'll be making some changes because we've got the City game to think about. Nevertheless, I'll play a side that hopefully helps to set us up for the second leg.

"We included some of the first team squad when we went to Birmingham to ensure we got through and hopefully we can do the same again."
    United complete Evra signing
    10/1/06 12:09 PM

Evra Completes United Switch
    New Arrival: Patrice Evra
    • Born: 15 May 1981, Dakar, Senegal
    • Signed: 10 Jan 2006 (fr. Monaco)
    • Transfer Fee: Undisclosed
    • Other Former Clubs: Monza, Nice
    • Debut: To Be Confirmed
    • International: France
    >> Stats: First-Team Games & Goals
    >> Photos: View The Evra Gallery
    French international Patrice Evra has completed his move from Monaco to United.

The 24-year-old left-back has signed a three-and-a-half-year deal which will run until June 2009, and he will be available for immediate selection.

Evra will wear the number three shirt vacated by Phil Neville last summer.

Sir Alex Ferguson said: "He is a good age and is still developing as a player, which is always exciting. We have been monitoring him all season and it is fantastic that he is joining Manchester United"

Patrice revealed that he had snubbed overtures from other European clubs in favour of moving to Old Trafford.

Evra told France Football: "I have already had opportunities to leave Monaco but I was not very keen to go forward in the talks with Arsenal, Liverpool or Real Madrid. They all talked with my agent in the past two seasons.

"I had contact with Internazionale last summer. But to me, it was over. As I said to the Monaco officials, I only wanted to hear about Manchester - not about Internazionale."

Evra is United's second new signing of the January transfer window, following the capture of Serbia & Montenegro international Nemanja Vidic last week.

Report by Steve Bartram.
    i hope two things rio should play
    and united wins yea i belive:D:p;):)

go reds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    Keane's wife is a slapper
    She's unemployed..
    And when she's shagging keano
    She thinks of Krissy Boyd

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9746/0528177750010mt.jpg
    She's unemployed..

i don´t care
    how do you know that did you ask her:D
    TODAY:Blackburn Rovers v United

and I can watch it yeappy!!!
    they will win BELIVE me

i feel so good so nice....:D

so just work and than up to 6 hours later

whooooooooooooooo:p;););)
    She's unemployed..

lol good one
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
    Intriguing Tie In Prospect

Our Carling Cup semi-final against Blackburn is a very intriguing tie on paper and I'm really looking forward to it.

We’ve got the back-up of the home leg to come and that’s important. We don’t have to go all out and win at Ewood Park tonight, I'd be happy with a draw. Blackburn are confident and playing good football at the moment.

Mark Hughes is one of Old Trafford's all-time legends so he knows a lot about United and the way we play – he proved it when they beat us here in the Premiership. They'll be buoyed by that victory and I'm sure Sir Alex will put out a strong team to counter their confidence.

Blackburn's Style

Tackle Mickey Thomas On The Radio
    Got something to say about Mickey T's column? Then say it live on The Legends Football Phone-In on 105.4 Century FM, weeknights from 6pm-8pm. Call 0871 222 1054 or text 81054.
    Listen to Legends online / email Mickey
    I think Blackburn have shaken off the reputation they had last season for ugly, physical football. Hughesie was desperate for results then and he needed to shore up the back four because it was leaking goals freely. They've stopped leaking goals now and started to score goals. I saw their game against West Ham and they’re playing more attractive football this season. Blackburn are looking to hit the top ten this time around and I think they can do it.

Key Opponents

Craig Bellamy is the one we'll have to watch. He'll always trouble you with his pace. I’m sure Wes Brown will be deployed to put in one or two strong challenges on him.

Robbie Savage is a whole-hearted, high energy player who's a nuisance to opponents but good to have in your team.

Brad Friedel's an excellent goalkeeper. I got his gloves after the game against West Ham, he’s a nice lad. Until recently, I think he was very underrated but he’s now getting the plaudits he deserves. His performance against us at Ewood Park last season was unbelievable, probably one of the best in his career.

Hughesie has got a decent back four now with people like Lucas Neill at right-back and the centre-back Andy Todd, a strong character who's not to be messed with.

Paul Dickov is like a blue-bottle fly, he’s everywhere – you need pest control to get rid of him! I’m a big fan of his and I don’t think people give him the credit he deserves. He works his socks off and doesn’t give the opposing defenders time to settle on the ball. He defends from the front, which all good teams should do.

You also have to be wary of Morten Gamst Pedersen. He’s doing well at Blackburn.

United's Form

Forget the Burton Albion game, we’ve been playing well recently, winning eight games and drawing three in our last eleven. Arsenal wasn’t a great game but we did well there. We won’t be in fear of Blackburn but we’ll be wary of what they did to us earlier in the season.

I’m confident we can get a result at Ewood but a lot will depend on the side Sir Alex puts out. He’s mixed and matched in the Carling Cup so far and given opportunities to some of the younger players. But I think tonight’s team will consist of a decent strikeforce. I think Wayne Rooney will play, and he might persevere with Louis Saha.

United's New Signings

Everyone's big next to me but Nemanja Vidic is certainly a big guy, he’s massive. Patrice Evra, meanwhile, looks as though he’ll come in and play straightaway. I think that’s the best way to come into a club sometimes, play in a match and get used to your team-mates from day one. I’ve been there myself… on about 55 occasions!

We've also been linked with Thomas Gravesen but I don't think we need that type of player. He's a ball-player, not the hardman that some people seem to think he is. It's obvious but we still need someone in the Roy Keane mould.

Mickey Thomas, 11 January 2006
    out of curiosity..does anyone actually read all this pile of Manure crap posted ?

COME ON ROVERS!(for tonight) haha!

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    out of curiosity..does anyone actually read all this pile of Manure crap posted ?

some do belive me go red devils!!!!
    some do belive me go red devils!!!!
    i honestly think you're the only one hahaha
    i think only 2-3 jammers here give 2 craps aboot Manure...the rest of us have taste and support better clubs :D

hopefully i wont be too bored and catch the Manure game..i think Blackburn will win it if Manure play a reserve side as planned.

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    i honestly think you're the only one hahaha
    i think only 2-3 jammers here give 2 craps aboot Manure...the rest of us have taste and support better clubs :D

hopefully i wont be too bored and catch the Manure game..i think Blackburn will win it if Manure play a reserve side as planned.

manchester united is a good club

well and i support two united and hsv and bought are not craps:p

i will catch it and we will win ...
    manchester united is a good club

well and i support two united and hsv and bought are not craps:p

i will catch it and we will win ...
    manure suck

HSV are good..Manure still suck

sure..they will win like how you said they would last Sunday?
    oops...no win there :D

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    manure suck

HSV are good..Manure still suck

sure..they will win like how you said they would last Sunday?
    oops...no win there :D

i know i support them since i walk on this planet :D
    but united doesn´t suck not for me
    in that we will never be ...what ever i love and support hsv and united :p

well i didn´t knew that our youngsters messed up like they did
    but hey i look further:p
    today WE Gonna Win
    on saturday it´s manchester united vs manchester city..........
    Tue 03 20:00 Arsenal A Prem 0 - 0 Report
    Sun 08 16:00 Burton Albion A FACUP 0 - 0 Report
    Wed 11 20:00 Blackburn Rovers A CC -
    Sat 14 12:45 Manchester City A Prem -
    Wed 18 20:05 Burton Albion H FACUP -
    Sat 21 15:00 Liverpool H Prem -
    Wed 25 20:00 Blackburn Rovers H CC -
    February 2006
    Wed 01 20:00 Blackburn Rovers A Prem -
    Sat 04 15:00 Fulham H Prem -
    Sat 11 15:00 Portsmouth A Prem -
    Sat 25 15:00 West Ham United H Prem -
    March 2006
    Sat 04 15:00 Wigan Athletic A Prem -
    Sat 11 15:00 Newcastle United H Prem -
    Sat 18 15:00 West Bromwich Albion A Prem -
    Sat 25 15:00 Birmingham City H Prem -
    April 2006
    Sat 01 15:00 Bolton Wanderers A Prem -
    Sun 09 15:00 Arsenal H Prem -
    Sat 15 15:00 Sunderland H Prem -
    Mon 17 15:00 Tottenham Hotspur A Prem -
    Sat 22 15:00 Middlesbrough H Prem -
    Sat 29 15:00 Chelsea A Prem -
    May 2006
    Sun 07 15:00 Charlton Athletic H Prem -
    Win Tickets To Old Trafford For The Liverpool Clash

To celebrate the launch of UNICEF's new campaign, Unite for Children, Unite against AIDS, UNICEF UK Youth Voice is offering you the chance to win two tickets to United's crucial Premiership clash with Liverpool at Old Trafford.

The club is a big supporter of UNICEF and is backing the campaign to protect children from the affects of HIV and AIDS. Many people believe that AIDS is a disease that only affects adults, but every minute of every day, one child dies and four children lose a parent because of AIDS.

Rio Ferdinand joined a host of famous faces to the launch the campaign, saying: "I have seen with my own eyes the devastating effect that HIV/AIDS is having on children. We at Manchester United are committed to supporting UNICEF's global campaign, and ask the world and our fans to please join us to Unite for Children, Unite against AIDS."

Young people are playing a big role in the fight against AIDS. 13-year-old Tumi, from Lesotho, in Africa, helped UNICEF to launch the campaign in the UK. She's not HIV positive, but one in three children in her country is.

"If children continue dying like they are, the world will end very soon" she said. "Governments cannot just look away. Future generations need saving."

The competition to win the match tickets for the game which is on Sunday 22 January, kick-off 16:00 GMT is open to young people under the age of 18 who live in the UK. The winner must be accompanied by a responsible adult. The cost of standard class train travel to the match will be refunded.

To win, simply tell us, in fifty words or less, why you think young people in the UK should support UNICEF's campaign, Unite for Children, Unite against AIDS.

Click here to submit your entry including your name, age, address and phone number.

The closing date is Monday 16 January
  • "David is an extremely good player and his right foot is the best in the world," Eriksson said. "For crosses, long passes, short passes, free kicks and corners, he is number one. But he is an all-around player, too. He can defend, he has two big lungs for running up and down for 90 minutes and he is a good man and a good captain"

wow the english coach was right on.......couldn't have said it better myself
    yeap can be but you´ve so many good players now ....
    Liverpool have agreed a deal with Brondby for Daniel Agger, with the defender on Merseyside to undergo a medical.

The European champions have held a long-term interest in the Denmark international as Rafa Benitez looks to add a centre half to his squad.

Benitez has now advanced that admiration after The Reds agreed a deal in principle with Agger's club Brondby.

It is rumoured that Liverpool will stump up £5.8 million for the defender, who played against England in a friendly at the start of the season.

The finishing touches are being put to the transfer and Benitez outlined how long he has been tracking the 21-year-old.

"Daniel is a player we have been following for a long time," Benitez told the Liverpool Echo.

"We first spoke to Brondby about the player when we were in Monaco playing the Super Cup final. At that time, their chairman said he wasn't for sale.

"We've been told he's one of the best centre halves in Denmark for 20 years. A lot of scouts have spoken highly of him and there has been lots of interest from other clubs.

"People will remember he played particularly well in an international against England earlier this season. We'd already watched and asked about the player before then.

"That match surprised a lot of people, but it confirmed to us he could play at a particularly high level, which is why we've continued to follow him."

Agger has missed Brondby's training camp in Spain to complete his switch to Anfield, with Benitez enthusing over his impending recruit.

"He will be an option for the first team within a short space of time," added Benitez. "First he will need to improve his physical condition, but then he will put both Sami and Carra under pressure for their place. This is an area where we've had no competition until now.

"He can't play in the Champions League, but when you sign a player who's only 21-years-old, he is for the future of the club, not for a competition in which we have a maximum of seven games left."

Liverpool's deal for Agger is likely to disappoint another Premiership club - believed to be Tottenham - who were also chasing the stopper.

Brondby director Per Bjerregaard told TV2: "It is correct that at least two Premier League clubs are interested in Agger.

"But who it is, I don't want to reveal."

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    Liverpool have agreed a deal with Brondby for Daniel Agger, with the defender on Merseyside to undergo a medical.

The European champions have held a long-term interest in the Denmark international as Rafa Benitez looks to add a centre half to his squad.

Benitez has now advanced that admiration after The Reds agreed a deal in principle with Agger's club Brondby.

It is rumoured that Liverpool will stump up £5.8 million for the defender, who played against England in a friendly at the start of the season.

The finishing touches are being put to the transfer and Benitez outlined how long he has been tracking the 21-year-old.

"Daniel is a player we have been following for a long time," Benitez told the Liverpool Echo.

"We first spoke to Brondby about the player when we were in Monaco playing the Super Cup final. At that time, their chairman said he wasn't for sale.

"We've been told he's one of the best centre halves in Denmark for 20 years. A lot of scouts have spoken highly of him and there has been lots of interest from other clubs.

"People will remember he played particularly well in an international against England earlier this season. We'd already watched and asked about the player before then.

"That match surprised a lot of people, but it confirmed to us he could play at a particularly high level, which is why we've continued to follow him."

Agger has missed Brondby's training camp in Spain to complete his switch to Anfield, with Benitez enthusing over his impending recruit.

"He will be an option for the first team within a short space of time," added Benitez. "First he will need to improve his physical condition, but then he will put both Sami and Carra under pressure for their place. This is an area where we've had no competition until now.

"He can't play in the Champions League, but when you sign a player who's only 21-years-old, he is for the future of the club, not for a competition in which we have a maximum of seven games left."

Liverpool's deal for Agger is likely to disappoint another Premiership club - believed to be Tottenham - who were also chasing the stopper.

Brondby director Per Bjerregaard told TV2: "It is correct that at least two Premier League clubs are interested in Agger.

"But who it is, I don't want to reveal."

Regular in the Denmark team and regarded as one of the best young defenders in Europe..lol! wot i remember about him is Everton wanting him :)
    AxlUlrich wrote:

I gotta say i friggin hate united boooooooo ..celtic mark 2!
    mon the Blackburn! :)