The AET Soccer/Football Thread

Comments

• AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    last night's game was proof yet again that Graham Poll should bloody retire...what an awful game he had...Rooney should have been sent off for deliberate handball and ARSE-anal were robbed of a penalty
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    I believe referees being shit are a fact of life. Unless if people want gridiron/rugby/cricket style video referees, which automatically slows down the flow of the game.

It's about tradition vs technology. The scrutiny wasn't there before because there weren't so many cameras and ultra-slomo shots that get replayed over and over. I'm sure there's use for technology e.g. sensors determining whether a ball has crossed the goal line (of course I'm referring to Roy Carroll scooping out Pedro Mendes' shot). But to bring in a video ref... I think the game would take a turn for the worse.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    last night's game was proof yet again that Graham Poll should bloody retire...what an awful game he had...Rooney should have been sent off for deliberate handball and ARSE-anal were robbed of a penalty

i´m still ask me what went wrong in the first half we wheren´t there on the second where better but who ronaldo shoot in the crowed :D and the rest forget it damn

but hey let´s see the next match:

Scholes & Smith set for Burton return
    4/1/06 9:41 AM

Midfield Pair Set For Cup Return

Paul Scholes and Alan Smith should be available for Sunday's FA Cup third round trip to Burton Albion, Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed.

Scholes sustained a blow to head during United's 2-2 draw at Birmingham last week, while Smith has struggled with a virus over the festive period; both have consequently missed United's last two matches.

The Reds boss is set to ring the changes for the clash at Burton's Pirelli Stadium and he is hopeful both Scholes and Smith will play some part in the match.

"Paul got a knock on the head during the Birmingham game and suffered blurred vision," revealed Fergie. "But we're hoping he'll be okay for Sunday.

"Alan's had a heavy chest infection but hopefully he'll be fit for the Burton game as well.

"I will certainly play a lot of my younger players," added the United manager. "Others like Louis Saha, Ji-sung, Cristiano Ronaldo and Ole Solskjaer will also be involved."
    this ain´t good
    but it is at it is

RSENE WENGER and Sir Alex Ferguson played right into Jose Mourinho's hands.

The two master tacticians cancelled each other out, leaving Chelsea THIRTEEN points ahead at the top of the Premiership.

Wes Brown came closest to netting the match-winner in the final minute.

But his header from a corner was cleared off the line by Emmanuel Eboue.

That was one of very few clear-cut chances in a drab meeting between two sides who know they are playing for the runners-up spot.

The Gunners are an astonishing 24 points behind the Stamford Bridge club.

And if they do not find some consistent form soon, they will struggle to even qualify for next season's Champions League.

Wenger opted to play a three-man midfield, just as he did in Arsenal's FA Cup final victory over United last May.

And with Fergie missing Paul Scholes and Alan Smith, the plan seemed to work in the first half.

Despite their possession though, the Gunners could not carve out any decent chances.

Cesc Fabregas rifled one shot wide, Edwin van der Sar foiled Robert Pires at the near post and Thierry Henry’s curling free-kick had the Dutchman frantically scrambling along his line as it whizzed past the upright.

Peace even broke out between the sides - not surprising considering Patrick Vieira and Roy Keane are no longer involved with their former clubs.
    Ferguson: We can't match Chelsea
    3/1/06 11:24 PM

We Can't Match Chelsea - Sir Alex

Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted that United cannot match Chelsea in the title race after drawing with Arsenal on Tuesday and slipping to 13 points behind the runaway league leaders.

However, the Reds boss saluted the United and Arsenal players after they rounded off the busy festive period with an energetic display.

The manager also looked forward to Sunday's FA Cup tie away to non-league Burton Albion. This is what he said in a post-match interview with Sky Sports:

Still Chasing Chelsea
    "I don't know how many times we have to make the point but Chelsea have been fantastic. There's no-one anywhere in this league who can match them at this moment. I don't think the quality of their game has been raised in any way, what they've done is retain that great consistency. They don't care if they (only) win one-nil. They're happy to grind out the one-nils and that's carried on from last season, they've been excellent defensively."

Overall Performance
    "I think you've got to be fair to footballers after their fourth game in eight days in that the pace was relentless tonight. They just kept going and going and going. You have to admire that great quality of human resources, how they can still find something after those four games. So it's a tribute to both sets of players in that respect.

"I thought we had the best chances in the match, the clearest chances. They probably had more possession than us so a draw was maybe a fair result."

Chances To Win
    "I thought Ryan's was our best chance, just after half-time. But the ball, from Cristiano, came to him out of the light at the back post. I thougt that was a good chance. And we had one in the first half when the goalkeeper palmed it out to Ronaldo (from Ruud's shot) but you've got to take one, haven't you. You'd hope to take one anyway."

Arsenal Tactics - Congested Midfield
    "We had an idea what they would do. We were almost certain they were going to play with three midfield players and we were right."

Ferguson v Clough
    "I had two encounters with Brian Clough in the FA Cup. One we lost, the other we won. Let's hope we can win the third one (against Nigel, Brian's son). They (Burton) are a good football team, a lovely football side. Our reserve team played them six weeks ago when they opened their new stadium and now, after the FA Cup draw, we have the ironic twist of playing them again. I'm looking forward to it."

Team Selection v Burton
    "I will certainly play a lot of my younger players and others like Louis Saha, Ji-sung, Cristiano and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be involved. So it will be a mix but I'm going to pay respect to Burton and I don't want to be embarrassed in any shape or form."

Report by Adam Bostock
    "LIKE WATCHING TWO BALDIES FIGHTING IT OUT OVER A COMB.."
    By Oliver Holt, Chief Sports Writer

This year, there was no 49-match unbeaten run to try to keep intact.

There was no championship to defend and no title to play for. No pizza to throw and no pre-match altercation in the tunnel.

There was no Patrick Vieira and no Roy Keane.

No one to kick Ruud van Nistelrooy. No one to call him a cheat or gesture at him.

No one from their own side to scream abuse at the Manchester United players. No Fighting Keowns. No chance of Ryan Giggs whipping his shirt off and doing his Captain Caveman impression.

Last night at Highbury was Arsenal v Manchester United lite. It was Arsenal v Manchester United with its heart ripped out ... a game where the stakes were high but not nearly as high as they used to be.

Advertisement

Two teams playing for the right to be runners-up to Chelsea. Two bald men fighting for a comb. In fact, Arsenal knew that even if they had won, they would still finish the night behind Spurs and out of the Champions League spots. A match that used to be the main event has been relegated to a spot on the Premiership undercard.

Instead of Vieira v Keane in central midfield, for instance, we got John O’Shea v Cesc Fabregas. It didn’t have quite the same ring to it. It certainly didn’t have the same intensity.

All the main players were subdued as if they knew this was not the biggest stage any more and were tailoring their games accordingly.

There were no flashes of Rooney magic. Cristiano Ronaldo did not tear Pascal Cygan to shreds as everyone had anticipated he would.

Rio Ferdinand cancelled out Thierry Henry, Sol Campbell just about had the measure of van Nistelrooy.

In its reduced circumstances, though, the match between the teams who started the night in sixth and second place respectively still managed to produce a crackling atmosphere and a struggle characterised by grim determination.

There was still a kind of visceral energy about it, a spirit left over from years of ill-feeling and seasons of duelling for the top prize.

There was still a fascination, mainly in the engrossing duel between man-of-the-match Gary Neville and Jose Antonio Reyes. Some of the tensions and the excellence of past encounters lived on.

In the first half, it felt as though the outcome of the match lay in the hands of those two men. Neville had done his best to conjure up the memories of the good old days before the kick-off. As Arsenal waited in the tunnel, he led the United players down the steps and blanked Henry.

Neville has marked Reyes out of contests like this in the past and he attempted to assert himself straight away.

The Spaniard has been sparkling recently but after a few early flourishes, Neville kept him in check.

In the second half some of the exchanges had a comfortingly bitter ring to them.

But out of what was once football’s most entertaining conflict, a stolid peace had broken out.

United are still second. Arsenal are up to fifth. 0-0 was about right.
    outch (i post this in the wrong place so here again:

Only Way To Catch Chelsea Is If Squad Get Malaria
    Sir Alex Ferguson last night claimed the only way Manchester United can catch runaway Premiership leaders Chelsea is if Jose Mourinho's side are struck down by malaria. United trail Chelsea by a whopping 13 points after their goalless draw with Arsenal. "You never know, malaria might hit the camp," joked Fergie. "We've got to hope something like that happens."

outch:D
    Before England begin their World Cup campaign against Paraguay in Frankfurt on 10 June, coach Sven-Goran Eriksson has a very difficult decision to make.

I think he has to choose two from John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell and Ledley King for the centre-back places in the team.

I have played against all four players this season.

Here I cast my eye over their strengths and weaknesses and pick the two who should play in Germany.

JOHN TERRY (Chelsea)
    Career statistics

Terry is a very hard player to play against. He's so tough and the problem is Chelsea are so organised you don't get the chance to isolate him and have a go at him.

John Terry

They are probably the best defensive unit around. They are quite cautious but the system works because Terry and his colleagues are so well protected.

Of course it's different when he plays for England because different systems suit different players and the Chelsea one is 100% made for him.

He's strong, he communicates very well, he's great in the air and has very good positioning too. I certainly can see Terry as a future England captain.

He speaks very well and marshals the defence but they are so well-drilled, they all know exactly what they're doing at any time.

RIO FERDINAND (Manchester United)
    Career statistics

I still think Rio is the best player I've ever played against, though I know it's different strokes for different folks.

Rio Ferdinand

For me he is the hardest one to play against because his reading of the game is so good and he seems to know where you've gone before you've even gone there.

To be honest they had the ball the majority of the time against us so I don't know too much about his defending at the moment, but his attacking was impressive!

He is one of the most comfortable defenders on the ball around and can build attacks too. I also think he is as focused and dedicated as anyone else around.

He doesn't communicate in the same way as Terry but leads by example and he always seems to be ahead of what is happening in a game.

SOL CAMPBELL (Arsenal)
    Career statistics

Sol is a different kind of challenge. He is big, strong, physical and always tight to you, always ready to make a tackle, breathing down your neck.

Sol Campbell

He is very commanding and strong in the air but he is also much better on the ground than most people give him credit for.

To play for this Arsenal team in particular you have to be comfortable with the ball and he certainly is.

He just knows how to defend. He would say himself he is a defender first and foremost and they miss him massively when he's not there - any team would.

You would do well to get past him once in a game, let alone twice. He is top class.

LEDLEY KING (Tottenham)
    Career statistics

Ledley reminds me of Sol a bit in the way he plays and he's another who counts strength as one of his major assets.

Ledley King

He's a defender first and leads the Spurs team quite well but like Sol, I reckon his ball-playing skills are better than he gets credit for.

He can also do a really good job in central midfield as we have seen for England on a couple of occasions now.

I think the other three are ahead of him in terms of central defensive positions but in a holding role he has to be right up there.

Michael Dawson is having a great season too and he and King looked like a really solid partnership when we played them.

THE VERDICT

It's going to be hard on anyone who gets left out and when you look at the four players England are very lucky.

I wouldn't be so sure Sven has picked his two already, a lot probably depends on the run up to the tournament.

But if I had to pick two now I would go for Rio Ferdinand and Sol Campbell. It's just a gut feeling more than anything else.

# I would like to take this opportunity to pass on my condolences to former Bristol Rovers kit man Ray Kendall, who passed away on Christmas Eve.

Ray was a lovely man and quite a few of us ex-Rovers players will be going to his funeral on Thursday.

# Read Jason Roberts' midweek column on the BBC Sport website every week
    XCLUSIVE: CHELSEA WILL SELF DESTRUCT
    Petit: There's no love at the Bridge.. it will end in tears
    By Neil McLeman

EMMANUEL PETIT last night predicted the lack of "love" at soulless Chelsea will see the runaway Premiership leaders fall apart like Real Madrid.

Manchester United and Arsenal have already conceded the title this season with Jose Mourinho's seemingly unstoppable side sitting 13 points clear of the chasing pack.

But Petit, the former Stamford Bridge and Gunners midfielder, has offered hope to the rest of English football by insisting the multi-million pound dressing room will not be kept together.

The Galacticos of Real Madrid have imploded over the last two years after failing to win a single trophy in their wost barren run for decades.

And the Italian attempts at trying to buy silverware at Lazio and Inter Milan have also been only short-term successes. And despite the limitless backing of Roman Abramovich, Petit believes Chelsea's domination will also be temporary because the club has not developed the "human relationships" in its squad to ride out future rough times.

"I lived through the first year of the Abramovich era when I was at Chelsea - and that was enough for me," said the 1998 World Cup winner.

Advertisement

"That is not my idea of sport. You may have a big financial profile, but you need other qualities too.

"A club's soundness comes only from human relationships, and a love for the team shirt born of mutual recognition.

"Mourinho bonds his players together because they are getting results. But we've seen how all the clubs that base their plans on money alone come a cropper once their good runs come to an end.

"We've seen it happen at Real Madrid, at Lazio and at Inter Milan. The day things stop going so well, all the players he's left out of the side will come banging on his door."

Petit won the Double with Arsenal in 1998 and arrived at Chelsea in 2001 after a year at Barcelona.

And the 35-year-old, now a pundit for French TV, admits he prefers the style and attitude of Arsene Wenger to Mourinho's more aggressive approach. "Arsenal are my favourite team," he said.

Reports in Israel yesterday claimed Chelsea will become an unofficial partner of Hapoel Tel Aviv after Abramovich's best friend bought the club.

Russian businessman Lev Leviev has purchased a 75 per cent controlling stake in the club which the Chelsea Six famously declined to face in the UEFA Cup in 2001 because of security worries.

Current Israeli national coach Avraham Grant, a close colleague of Jose Mourinho, is set to be unveiled as coach.

And the close personal friendships between the top men at the clubs is expected to see young Chelsea players loaned out to play in the Israeli league and co-operation over transfers.

Grant is expected to visit Chelsea's training ground at Cobham this week to discuss plans with Mourinho. Chelsea refused to comment last night.
    EXCLUSIVE: £5M EVRA READY FOR UNITED MOVE
    By David McDonnell

MANCHESTER UNITED are closing in on the signing of Monaco's £5m-rated defender Patrice Evra.

Sir Alex Ferguson has moved to make France international Evra his second signing of the January transfer window following the arrival of centreback Nemanja Vidic.

United chief executive David Gill has held talks with Monaco about Evra.

Fergie wants him to fill in at left-back in place of the injured Gabriel Heinze, who is out for the rest of the season. Evra and his representatives were yesterday locked in talks.

They met with Monaco president Gerard Brianti, who told the player he was free to join United - provided the fee was right.

Evra's agent, Frederico Pastorello, said: "We spoke at length with the club and they are not opposed to Patrice leaving. If the right offer is made, the transfer to United will take place."

Advertisement

Monaco value Evra - who can also play in midfield - at £5m and Inter Milan have already failed with a £3.5m bid for the 24-year-old, capped five times by France.

Evra failed to turn up for training for three days after Christmas, citing a family problem as the reason for his absence.

He has been axed by Monaco for tonight's game against Auxerre, increasing speculation of an imminent move to United.
    NEMANJA VIDIC will link up with his Manchester United team-mates this morning after having his work permit granted.

Sir Alex Ferguson has made Vidic the first major signing of the Malcolm Glazer era by splashing out £7million on the Serbia defender.

Although Vidic impressed with Spartak, it is his performances for the Serbian national side which brought him to Ferguson’s attention.

Vidic was part of the Serbs’ Famous Four defence which conceded just one goal in qualifying for next summer’s World Cup in Germany.

Ferguson said: “As I keep pointing out, good defenders win you things.

“In my time we have had people like Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister, Paul Parker, Denis Irwin, Ronnie Johnson and Jaap Stam.

“This lad is really natural and athletic. I know you need good defenders and that is exactly what this lad is.”

MANICHE has completed his loan move to Premiership champions Chelsea.

The 28-year-old Portuguese midfielder joins from Russian side Dynamo Moscow until the end of the season and is eligible to play in the Champions League knockout stages.

Blues boss Jose Mourinho has indicated that Maniche will be Chelsea's only recruit in January.

He said: "We will sign nobody or one player in the window. If we sign one player he will be a midfield player."

PORTSMOUTH have completed a deal to sign Poland striker Emmanuel Olisadebe until the end of the season.

The 27-year old had returned to Greek side Panathinaikos after failing to impress in a trial at Fratton Park last week - but the move was revived.

Olisadebe said: "It feels good to be back after my trial here.

"I am excited about the prospect of playing in the Premier League which is the best in the world."

LIVERPOOL have completed the signing of Dutch right-back Jan Kromkamp, who is joining as part of a swap deal with Spanish side Villarreal for Josemi.

Krompkamp, 25, has passed his medical and will be officially unveiled at Anfield on Thursday.

He could make his debut against Luton Town in the FA Cup on Saturday after a rule-change over the eligibility of new signings in that competition.

Josemi, 26, wrapped up his part of the move on Monday.

LAURENT ROBERT has ended his loan stay at Portsmouth and joined Portuguese champions Benfica.

Newcastle paid £10.5m for the 30-year-old in 2001 but he left the club in the summer following a series of arguments with boss Graeme Souness.

And he has now signed a three-and-a-half year contract with Ronald Koeman's Benfica side.

Robert said: "This is a super club. To be able to play in the Champions League is fantastic and that's why I am here."

Rio's reunion with Dwarf

By PHIL THOMAS

WHEN Rio Ferdinand lines up against Burton Albion he will see an international pal from his teenage days — pint-sized midfielder Andy Ducros.

They played for the England Youth team but since then their careers could not have followed more diverse paths.

While Rio became the world’s costliest defender with a £30million move from Leeds to Manchester United, Ducros slipped from Coventry to Kidderminster, and into non-League with Burton.

Ducros — 5ft 6in and dubbed The Dwarf by pals — admitted: “Even then Rio was a brilliant player. But he was still really down to earth and very popular with all the rest of the lads.

“He was a year younger than me, but even then was close to the West Ham first team and an awesome talent.

“We spent a season together with England, and he wasn’t the easiest to come up against in training. I don’t think I ever got the better of him.

"Even though he was a centre-back, I think they could have played him anywhere and he’d still have been the best player — and it was a strong squad.

“I haven’t spoken to Rio for about nine years, but I’ll be reminding him about those days on Sunday.

“If I get chance I’ll be trying to get his shirt at the end.”
    Hard-man Vidic to star in England
    By Andrew McKenzie

Nemanja Vidic
    He is definitely worth the money, it is a good fee for the club
    Zoran Panjkovic, Serbian journalist
    Vidic completes Man Utd move
    In Nemanja Vidic, Manchester United have got themselves a mixture of John Terry and Rio Ferdinand.

That is the verdict of Belgrade journalist Zoran Panjkovic, who has followed Vidic's career since he broke into the Red Star side as a teenager.

"He's a really great defender and it is a very good move for Sir Alex Ferguson," Panjkovic told BBC Sport.

"He is a key member of the Serbia and Montenegro team that conceded only one goal in qualifying for the World Cup."

Serbia's defence has been nicknamed the 'famous four' having gone through the 10 qualifying games with nine clean sheets, topping the group ahead of Spain.

Vidic played a leading role and Panjkovic says his imposing style of play and his knack of scoring goals will suit English football down to the ground.

He added: "Only Raul scored a goal against them and Vidic was the star of that defence.

"He is similar to Rio Ferdinand but maybe with a bit of John Terry's qualities as well.

"He is a very aggressive player and very physical. I think he will be a really special player in English football. And I think he will form a formidable partnership with Ferdinand.

"At every corner he is a danger. His style is always to take up the goalkeeper's ground and he has scored some crucial goals."

United beat off competition from Liverpool and Fiorentina for Vidic, who had made clear his intention to move on.

The 24-year-old Vidic completed his move on Thursday in a £7m switch from Spartak Moscow, where he spent less than two years.

Prior to that he was at Red Star, where he was made captain when he was only 21 until moving on in the summer of 2004.

There were eyebrows raised when he openly criticised the Manchester United defence recently.

He has become a player that almost makes no mistakes
    Zoran Panjkovic

But Panjkovic says Vidic is unlikely to give Ferguson any problems at Old Trafford.

"He's very quiet guy and a great professional," he added. "I spoke with him last week in Belgrade and he didn't want to say anything about Manchester United because it was before he signed a contract.

"But the thought of going to Manchester United was a great adventure for him.

"He was very keen on a move to United. Liverpool were also interested as well and he had a strong desire to play in the Premier League.

"He has developed rapidly in Moscow. I have been watching him for the national team and he has improved a lot. He has become a player that almost makes no mistakes.

"Maybe his one weakness is dealing with the ball along the ground. In the air he's brilliant but when the ball is on the floor he can struggle at times.

"He's not so quick but he is a very strong player and a leader."
    Rooney: The Best Is Yet To Come
    In his 18 months at Old Trafford, Wayne Rooney has already turned raw potential into proven world class, but the 20-year-old has promised United fans the best is yet to come.

In an exclusive interview with United magazine, the official monthly mag dedicated to the Reds, Rooney reveals he’s enjoying his football more than ever since his move down the East Lancs Road from Everton.

“This feels like home,” he admitted. “I am really settled now, the lads and everyone have been great to me. That means I can concentrate on football and do my best on the pitch in every game.”

And according to him, his best has already got better.

“My awareness of what is going on around me has definitely got better, and I think I'm fitter now. I feel better on the pitch. I feel like I'm smiling more too, I want to win all the time, but I know you've got to enjoy yourself too.”

Rooney’s temperament has often been subject to scrutiny, but United’s new talisman believes his new surroundings have also helped control his temper.

“I have not been happy with what I have done in the past, the silly bookings I have picked up and that sending off in Spain. I want to stop that.”

And with Sir Alex keeping a close watch on his latest protégé, Rooney hopes to kickstart his medal collection.

“In my eyes (Sir Alex) is the greatest manager ever. He's won all those trophies. You learn something every day with him. He teaches you things and knows how to improve your game.

"He has made me realise how important winning is, he has installed that in to me. Win, win, win. You have to win all the time.”
    Facts & Figures: United's FA Cup Miscellany
    United's latest quest for the FA Cup kicks off against Burton Albion at the Pirelli Stadium. To mark the occasion, here are ten facts you may not know about the famous old competition…

Bobby Dazzler
    Sir Bobby Charlton played a record 75 consecutive FA Cup ties for United between 1958 and 1973. A record that will never be beaten, we believe…

Hot Trotters
    United reached the Cup final in 1958, three months after the Munich disaster, losing 2-0 to Bolton, despite having the majority of the public rooting for the Reds. The match was also notable for two statistical oddities: firstly United’s goalkeeper was injured for the second time in consecutive finals (this was before the days of goalkeeping substitutes) and secondly that none of the Bolton Wanderers side had ever played for another club – a Cup first.

Ten Years Ago
    The FA Cup win of 1996 provided another first: the first time that a non-British player had captained a winning side. The man? Eric Cantona, of course.

No Kidding
    United’s celebrations after winning the FA Cup for the first time in 1909 proved too much for the club mascot Billy the goat - he died from alcohol poisoning soon after. Just as well Fred the Red’s teetotal!

Successful Defence
    United’s run to the 1983 trophy was unique in that the Reds did not concede a goal until the semi-final at Villa Park, where Arsenal were beaten 2-1.

First Refusal
    United first entered the FA Cup in 1886-87, when the club was still known as Newton Heath. The Heathens suffered the (self-inflicted) indignity of being eliminated from the competition without actually losing a game, refusing to play extra time after the match against Fleetwood Rangers had ended 2-2. Fleetwood progressed to the next round by default.

Coup De Grace
    Manchester United never lost an FA Cup tie in which Eric Cantona appeared.

Borderline Success
    Sir Alex Ferguson is one of only two men to have managed teams to Scottish and English FA Cup wins. He has three in Scotland with Aberdeen (1983, 1984, 1986) five with United (1990, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004). The only other man to achieve this feat was Jimmy Cochran, who won Cups with Kilmarnock (1929) and Sunderland (1937).

Cup Tied
    The 1958 FA Cup became the first and only competition in which a player has appeared for two different sides. Stan Crowther was transferred from Aston Villa to United just one hour before the Reds’ fifth-round tie with Sheffield Wednesday and was given special dispensation to play as a mark of sympathy and respect for United following the Munich disaster.

Three Of A Kind
    United’s first FA Cup triumph in 1909 led to an almighty row about the trophy - and meant that three FA Cups were soon in existence! After that victory, United commissioned a replica of the Cup in celebration. The FA objected, saying that the FA Cup had to be unique, and had another trophy made. United then handed the duplicate to the FA, and the FA in turn presented the original Cup to Lord Kinnaird, who had played in nine of the first eleven finals.

Report by Jon Hotten.
    FA Cup

round 3
    2 nd
    Blackburn 2 - 0 Queen's Park Rangers »
    Todd 17'
    Bellamy 36'

2nd
    Brighton and Hove Albion 0 - 1 Coventry City »
    McSheffrey 50'
    2nd
    Chelsea 1 - 0 Huddersfield Town »
    Cole 12'

2nd
    Derby County 2 - 1 Burnley »
    Peschisolido 18'
    Peschisolido 67'
    O'Connor 29'
    2nd
    Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Portsmouth »
    Silva 37'
    2nd
    Manchester City 3 - 1 Scunthorpe United »
    Fowler 48'
    Fowler 56'
    Fowler 64' (Elfm.)
    Keogh 17'
    2nd
    Millwall 1 - 0 Everton »
    Williams 39'

2nd
    Newcastle 0 - 0 Mansfield Town »

2nd
    Norwich City 0 - 2 West Ham »
    Mullins 6'
    Zamora 57'
    2nd
    Preston North End 1 - 1 Crewe Alexandra »
    Alexander 62'
    Jones 35'
    16:00 2. Halbzeit
    Sheffield United 1 - 1 Colchester United »
    Kabba 5'
    Danns 33'
    2nd
    Sheffield Wednesday 2 - 3 Charlton Athletic »
    Heckingbottom 16'
    Heckingbottom 60'
    Rommedahl 13'
    Holland 27'
    Rommedahl 44'
    Southampton 3 - 1 Wimbledon »
    Prutton 40'
    Quashie 60'
    Walcott 66'
    Lundekvam 59' (ET)
    Stoke City 0 - 0 Tamworth »

Torquay United 0 - 0 Birmingham City »

2nd
    Watford 0 - 2 Bolton »
    Borgetti 11'
    Giannakopoulos 34'
    2nd
    West Bromwich 0 - 0 Reading »

2nd
    Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle »
    Clarke 26'

2nd
    Crystal Palace 3 - 1 Northampton Town »
    Hughes 4'
    Macken 37'
    Johnson 53' (Elfm.)
    Low 12'
    2nd
    Cheltenham Town 1 - 0 CHESTER CITY »
    Melligan 59' (Elfm.)

2nd
    NUNEATON BOROUGH 0 - 1 Middlesbrough »
    Mendieta 15'
    2nd half
    Stockport County 2 - 2 Brentford »
    Easter 17'
    Briggs 48'
    Owusu 13'
    Campbell 65'
    2nd half
    Barnsley 0 - 0 Walsall »

finished(i saw that match on tv:D)
    Hull City 0 - 1 Aston Villa »
    Barry 61'
    finsihed
    Arsenal London 2 - 1 Cardiff City »
    Pires 6'
    Pires 18'
    Jerome 87'
    finished
    Wigan Athletic 1 - 1 Leeds United »
    Connolly 47'
    Hulse 88'

Luton Town - Liverpool »
    still on the way
    Fulham - Leyton Orient
    Sunderland - Northwich Victoria
    BURTON ALBION - Manchester United
    Leicester City - Tottenham
    "3-1 UP AND YOU THOUGHT YOU'VE WON"

wow..what a game...fairplay to Luton...what a showing from them
    definitely a FA Cup classic for years to come.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:

what ? we didn´t play yet...
    what ? we didn´t play yet...
    who cares if Manure haven't played...come on Albion!

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    who cares if Manure haven't played...come on Albion!

I myself :p and united gonna win..
    I myself :p and united gonna win..
    hate to repeat myself but who cares again ;)

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    hate to repeat myself but who cares again ;)

grrr no i´m to tired to fight on this term;)

as i say again i do care 4 ever;)
    HAMMER KID KOPS A PACKET
    FA CUP 3rd rd: Norwich v W. Ham, today, 3pm Liverpool's Anton bid is foiled
    By Darren Lewis

WEST HAM last night thwarted a bid by Liverpool to snap up Anton Ferdinand by handing the defender his second new contract in eight weeks.

Ferdinand, 20, has signed a bumper new four-and-a-half-year deal which ties him to the club until 2010. It pushes his salary up to £22,000-a-week - back in August he was on just £10,000-a-week.

That figure was improved to £12,000 in October due to a combination of superb performances and interest from a string of clubs tracking the youngster.

Now boss Alan Pardew has acted swiftly to keep the highly-rated England Under-21 star at Upton Park for the foreseeable future following an enquiry from empirebuilding Rafa Benitez.

It is an impressive feat by the West Ham board who have previously been powerless to stop the likes of Frank Lampard, Ferdinand's older brother Rio, Joe Cole and Jermain Defoe away from the lure of bigger clubs

They have managed to convince Ferdinand that regular first-team football at Upton Park would be far better for his development than sitting on the bench behind the likes of Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher at Anfield.
    Battle for Rooney's shirt
    :D:D:D:D:D

By JANINE SELF

BURTON will be fighting battles on two fronts tomorrow when they face Manchester United.(it´s today)

In addition to the FA Cup clash, the race is on to bag United striker Wayne Rooney’s shirt!

Albion hitman Jon Shaw and defender Ryan Austin already have their eyes on the prize.

Shaw said: “My dad was joking that it might be 0-0 until the last five minutes and then United would score 10 as everyone will be standing round Rooney waiting for his shirt.

“I’d love to take his shirt off his back — whether he wants mine is his choice!

“I got Bobby Zamora’s shirt just before he left Brighton after he sent my old club Sheffield Wednesday down.”

Austin added: “All the lads will be after Wayne’s shirt, but we don’t even know if he’s going to play.”

Burton’s 12-goal top-scorer Shaw hopes to add to his goal tally against United.

He said: “If I dance round Gary Neville, Wes Brown and Rio Ferdinand and then slip one under Edwin van der Sar I will be quite happy with that.”
    grrr no i´m to tired to fight on this term;)

as i say again i do care 4 ever;)
    lol..well me will be watching the game...hoping for the first big giant killing of the tournament :)

YNWA
  • AxlUlrich wrote:

oh my god,just got up from a bender after watching Istanbul mkII!!!

3-1 and you've fucked it up,3-1 and you've fucked it up!!!

alonso made up for a quiet game with two spectacular goals!!!!

did you see stevie goin mental at alonso when he didnt pass for the second?! LMAO!!!!
    When I was born, the doctor came out to the waiting room and said to my father, I'm very sorry. We did everything we could. But he pulled through......
    did you see stevie goin mental at alonso when he didnt pass for the second?! LMAO!!!!
    LOL yeh!
    hahaha...he was fuming cos he din think it was gonna be a goal but haha it did go in!
    and his anger changed to claps lol..hilarious

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    lol..well me will be watching the game...hoping for the first big giant killing of the tournament :)

@it seems i cant watched it today either hearing f....but hey they will win....on wendsday i can watch carlington cup:p
    2nd half
    Fulham 1 - 2 Leyton Orient »
    John 50'
    Easton 16'
    Keith 44'
    1st half
    Sunderland 1 - 0 Northwich Victoria »
    Collins 6'

and 30 minutes than united plays:D