The AET Soccer/Football Thread

Comments

• amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    Clyde 2-1 Celtic
    Roy Keane's Celtic debut ends in shock defeat as the Scottish Cup holders are beaten by First Division Clyde.

ONE GRAHAM ROBERTS! :)
  • How good is Bolton right now?

I mean, here in Mexico we have the chance to see different leagues; Spain, England, Italy, Holland and Argentina (it's insane i know) and normally the broadcasted matches are always from the "big" teams, in this case from the premier league we can always see Manchester U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and now Bolton.

I'm asking about Bolton since a mexican is playing there, but he has had no continuity (he plays mostly in the cup's tournaments and not in the league), this would mean that the team is doing fine without him.
    I feel very close to you all now; so close I could almost... loan you money. Really. it goes that deep.
    -Tom Waits-

Everybody should believe in something...I believe i'll have another drink - anonymous -

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk.
    -Barney Gumble-
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    @it seems i cant watched it today either hearing f....but hey they will win....on wendsday i can watch carlington cup:p
    Carling Cup you mean ;)

oh and what? u said Manure will win?

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
    I'm asking about Bolton since a mexican is playing there, but he has had no continuity (he plays mostly in the cup's tournaments and not in the league), this would mean that the team is doing fine without him.
    ah yes..Jared Borgetti..what a great player..i think he is wasting his time at Bolton...whenever he plays..he scores..he scored again on Saturday..but is second choice only.
    he should really leave for the sake of his form for the World Cup...he and the rest of the Mexican team really did impress during last summer's Confederations Cup
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    Carling Cup you mean ;)

oh and what? u said Manure will win?

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!

yeap sory carlington cup ..my mind where somewhere else :(:(:(

no don´t speak about this match but i know you will get deeply into my wounds
    ok we don´t lost and we are in...

and we have the drama now(our youngsters)
    yeap sory carlington cup ..my mind where somewhere else :(:(:(

no don´t speak about this match but i know you will get deeply into my wounds
    ok we don´t lost and we are in...

and we have the drama now(our youngsters)
    CARLING!

manure just suck..proven today..youngsters or not..that's no excuse...
    wow..what a great weekend for footie :D

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    CARLING!

manure just suck..proven today..youngsters or not..that's no excuse...
    wow..what a great weekend for footie :D

ok i will never learn that even my english friends laugh sometimes about my writting ...sch....oh thwe pitch wasn´t great:p
    in twen days we will give them a hot dance @old trafford :D

and it wasn´t a good weekend.........for footie:p
    but hey wendsday i can watch it live and we will win
    ok i will never learn that even my english friends laugh sometimes about my writting ...sch....oh thwe pitch wasn´t great:p
    in twen days we will give them a hot dance @old trafford :D

and it wasn´t a good weekend.........for footie:p
    but hey wendsday i can watch it live and we will win
    i will be watching too..but rooting for Blackburn lol..
    very tight schedule of games for Manure now...alot of midweek games but i guess it isnt bad since they are out of the Champions League :)

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    i will be watching too..but rooting for Blackburn lol..
    very tight schedule of games for Manure now...alot of midweek games but i guess it isnt bad since they are out of the Champions League :)
    .........yea their programm ain´t easy but hey that´s why i love english foothi..:p

grrr you try to get me out but i stay cool ...we will beat you :D
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Didn't ManYoo also draw with a Conference team in last year's FA Cup?
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
    Hinny wrote:
    Didn't ManYoo also draw with a Conference team in last year's FA Cup?
    Exeter City if am not wrong

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    Exeter City if am not wrong

wait wait you ain´t wrong i think -ubs i´m forgetfull
    Fergie Pleased To Still Be In With Cup Chance

Sir Alex Ferguson insisted he was pleased to still be in the FA Cup after United failed to score victory over non-league outfit Burton Albion.

The Reds were held to a disappointing 0-0 draw at Burton's Pirelli Stadium and were lucky not to be behind at half-time after Phil Bardsley was forced to clear two efforts off the line.

United looked much brighter in the second half and the introduction of Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo added an injection of pace and an extra threat up front.

But a combination of poor finishing and a couple of great saves from Burton keeper Saul Deeney paved the way for the non-league side's trip to Old Trafford in ten days time.

"We're satisfied with a draw and pleased to still be in the Cup," Fergie told Sky Sports.

"The whole nation would probably have expected us to win this game but football's not as easy as that and you saw the nature of FA Cup football today; anything can happen.

"We were up against committed opponents on a difficult pitch and these shock results can happen. Fortunately we didn't get a severe shock.

Talking Reds : Burton 0 United 0

"In all honesty we should be beating teams like Burton but you must give credit where credit's due and they deservedly earned their replay. The important thing is we're still in the competition. Fans should stay positive - I'm confident we'll bounce back in the replay and make it through to the fourth round."

Posted by : Red 10
    Post your opinions on our Message Board
    "They had a couple of corners in the first half which were scrambled clear," added the United boss. "But apart from that there was nothing of a really dangerous nature which could have cost us the match.

"We had some half chances and one or two good opportunities but I don't want to deny Burton their great result.

"We seem to be good at keeping teams alive. Last season we gave Exeter a wonderful pay-off and now it's Burton's turn."

Ahead of the replay at Old Trafford on 17/18 January, Fergie did not rule out playing another young team, before confirming new signings Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra will play some part in the tie.

"I'm not sure what my team will be for the replay just yet," he said.

"I'll need to have a look at things because we've got plenty of commitments this month with games against Manchester City and Liverpool and two Carling Cup semi-final matches.

"But with the additions of Vidic and Evra to the squad we've got a strong group of players and both our new signings will be involved in our upcoming games."

Report by Gemma Thompson.
    2005/06 FA Cup Third Round Results

Friday, 06 January
    Port Vale 2-1 Doncaster

Saturday, 07 January
    Arsenal 2-1 Cardiff
    * Barnsley 1-1 Walsall
    Blackburn 3-0 QPR
    Brighton 0-1 Coventry
    Chelsea 2-1 Huddersfield
    * Cheltenham 2-2 Chester
    Crystal Palace 4-1 Northampton
    Derby 2-1 Burnley
    Hull City 0-1 Aston Villa
    Ipswich Town 0-1 Portsmouth
    Luton Town 3-5 Liverpool
    Manchester City 3-1 Scunthorpe
    * Millwall 1-1 Everton
    Newcastle United 1-0 Mansfield
    Norwich City 1-2 West Ham
    * Nuneaton 1-1 Middlesbrough
    Preston North End 2-1 Crewe
    Sheffield United 1-2 Colchester
    Sheffield Wednesday 2-4 Charlton
    Southampton 4-3 Milton Keynes
    Stockport County 2-3 Brentford
    * Stoke City 0-0 Tamworth
    * Torquay United 0-0 Birmingham City
    Watford 0-3 Bolton Wanderers
    * West Bromwich Albion 1-1 Reading
    * Wigan 1-1 Leeds United
    Wolverhampton 1-0 Plymouth Argyle

Sunday, 08 January
    * Burton Albion 0-0 United
    Fulham 1-2 Leyton Orient
    Leicester City 3-2 Tottenham
    Sunderland 3-0 Northwich Victoria
    * Replays to be played on 17/18 January
    The FA Cup third round produced its usual feast of shocks and surprises, the biggest being non-league Nuneaton's hard-fought draw with Steve McClaren's Middlesbrough.

Gez Murphy's last minute penalty drew the conference side level with Boro who had earlier gone ahead through Gaizka Mendieta. The Teessiders now face a tricky visit from Nuneaton in the replay on 17 January.

Fellow conference side Tamworth also earned a Cup replay after their 0-0 draw with Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium.

Premiership strugglers Birmingham were held 0-0 by League Two outfit Torquay, while Everton face a replay with Championship side Millwall after Leon Osman's late equaliser for David Moyes' side.

Wigan and West Brom also face replays after failing to see off Championship opposition on home soil. David Connelly looked to have put Paul Jewell's side through to the next round, but Leeds striker Rob Hulse grabbed an equaliser three minutes from time.

West Brom also conceded a later leveller in their 1-1 draw with Reading at The Hawthorns.

Luton Town came very close to pulling off the shock of the round when they went 3-1 up against Liverpool in the game of day at Kenilworth Road.

Rafa Benitez's side hit back through double strikes from Florent Sinama Pongolle and Xabi Alonso, who notched an extraordinary second goal from deep inside his own half.

In the day's other matches involving Premiership sides, Chelsea, Newcastle, Bolton, Arsenal, Blackburn, West Ham, Aston Villa, Portsmouth and Charlton all booked their place in the fourth round, as did Manchester City who eventually overcame Scunthorpe who took the lead after just 16 minutes.

A Robbie Fowler hat-trick got the Blues back on track and into the next round.

Aside from United's disappointing 0-0 draw at Burton, Sunday's fixtures produced two more shock results as League Two side Leyton Orient pulled off a 2-1 victory over Fulham at Craven Cottage and Championship side Leicester City came from two goals down to overcome Tottenham 3-2 thanks to a dramatic last minute winner from Mark de Vries.

Meanwhile, Sunderland sealed their first win at the Stadium of Light since September with a 3-0 victory over Northwich Victoria.
    Blackburn Rovers v United
    Carling Cup S/F 1st Leg | 8:00| Wed 11 Jan

and they will hopefully change the players out of yesterday
    bec. i want united to win...
    a nice pic i got from amentvedder ;)

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/4088/shrek6pv.jpg

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    :D:D:D;);)lol

they where didssapointed ........but this pic really looks a bit ok forget that
    back to bizz;)
    January 2006
    WELL DONE YOUNG MAN
    Clough junior stuns Sir Alex as Burton hold out for replay Burton Albion 0 Man Utd 0
    By Martin Lipton Chief Football Writer

NIGEL CLOUGH hailed his FA heroes after non-league Burton gloriously held Manchester United to earn an Old Trafford replay.

The Conference side shocked Sir Alex Ferguson's superstars to repeat Exeter's shock draw against the Reds in the third round last term. And Clough, whose father Brian's failure to win the FA Cup meant it was the only major trophy to elude him, said his players deserved every accolade.

Clough said: "We were magnificent. The players gave everything and you only have to look at them to see how much it meant. I couldn't be more proud of them. They've earned themselves the chance to go to Old Trafford. For the club it's fantastic financially, but for the players to be able to do that is worth even more.

"Of course, we haven't got a prayer there, not against United and all their players. But I never thought we could get anything out of this game and look at what happened. For part-time lads to draw with them is staggering."

While Ferguson left out Ruud van Nistelrooy, Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville, the United starting side contained seven full internationals with Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo coming on in the second half.

Clough added: "When they brought Rooney and Ronaldo on, I thought 'blimey, we're in trouble now'. That was when I started to get worried.
    GONGS FOR THE BURTON
    The FA CUP 3RD ROUND BURTON ALBION 0 MAN UTD 0 Clough's battlers deserve medal for holding United
    Martin Lipton Chief Football Writer

WHO says there is no place for romance? Who says lightning cannot strike twice in the same place? Who says the FA Cup is not what it used to be?

None of the 6,000 people who were in the Pirelli Stadium, or the 60,000 who will claim that they were in the years to come and who filled the pubs of the town built on beer last night.

For them and the Burton heroes who will never have a day like it again, this was everything they dreamed about and more. True glory, true joy.

As Burton paraded around on their lap of honour, the song "What have you done today to make you feel proud?" reverberated around the ground.

The answer was in the heart of everybody present, even Sir Alex Ferguson. They saw the underdogs run themselves into the ground, never giving up, always believing.

And while it needed a heroic injury-time save by keeper Saul Deeney to deny Richard Jones and earn Burton the extra prize of a £500,000-plus cash windfall from the Old Trafford replay on Wednesday week, nobody could say they do not deserve every single penny of that booty.
    Fergie at the Pirelli Stadium

FA CUP SPECIAL

• Burton 0 Man Utd 0
    • Burton v Man Utd ratings

t

By DAVID MOORE:
    Burton 0 Man Utd 0
    NIGEL CLOUGH’S Burton can look forward to a £500,000 jackpot after holding Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United.

Jubilant Brewers chairman Ben Robinson said: “That’s a fantastic amount of money.

“We are still paying for our new Pirelli Stadium, so perhaps we might call part of it the Stretford End in tribute to a replay at Old Trafford!

“A better idea would be to call it the Clough End. What could be more fitting?”

Robinson added: “In a 30-year connection with Burton, I have never felt so proud or so pleased.
    Click here to find out more!

“In particular, I’m happy for our manager Nigel, who has coped in such dignified fashion with the sad loss of his father.”

Nottingham Forest and Derby legend Clough always supported his son at Albion and Robinson said: “He would be so proud of Nigel over this result.

TOP DRAW ... Burton's Cup heroes celebrate at final whistle
    TOP DRAW ... Burton's Cup heroes celebrate at final whistle

“He’d be proud of Burton Albion, too. That’s the sort of person Brian was.”

Eyeing the replay on Wednesday week, which will see the Sun-sponsored minnows pick up their jackpot from gate money and TV cash, Clough said: “Every one of my players was magnificent. Going to Old Trafford will be incredible.”

ALB BE BACK ... Burton boss Nigel Clough savours a trip to Old Trafford
    ALB BE BACK ... Burton boss Nigel Clough savours a trip to Old Trafford

United boss Fergie insisted: “The most important thing is we didn’t lose.

“We’re still in the cup, even though I didn’t expect it would be going to another game.

FERGUSON ... still in Cup
    FERGUSON ... still in Cup

“At Old Trafford, Burton will gain a financial infusion that will last them for years. Good luck to them.”
    en to watch in 2006

By FRANK PRAVERMAN
    THE coming year should be a huge one for some excellent up-and-coming talent.

And it's not just the Premiership that should be excited - there are plenty of youngsters in the lower leagues pushing to get on the big stage.

Below we list the 10 stars to look out for over the next 12 months.

Luke Moore
    Aston Villa
    Nationality: England

Position: Striker
    Date of Birth: 13/02/86
    Place of Birth: Birmingham
    Luke Moore is already a local hero with the Villa fans. Born and bred a stone's throw from Villa Park, Moore is quick and fleet of foot.

Most importantly for the boss, he is also willing to chase everything and never give up the cause.

David O'Leary made him an ever-present in the first half of the season and if he can find his shooting boots, Sven Goran Eriksson may also soon be making a trip to the Midlands.

Theo Walcott
    Southampton

Position: Midfielder
    Date of Birth: 16/03/89
    Place of Birth: Southampton

This boy is lightning! Walcott is one of the fastest players in any of the English leagues and has the speed of thought to match.

Can play up front but is better utilised in midfield. Prospered under Harry Redknapp before the boss departed for Portsmouth but now seems impossible to leave out.

Playing in the Championship will do him no harn as he learns his trade but if the Saints fail to go up at the end of the year there will be a huge clamour for his signature.

Lassana Diarra
    Chelsea
    Nationality: France

Position: Midfield
    Date of Birth: 13/03/85
    Place of Birth: Paris

Tough, hard-working and talented. Diarra's biggest problem will be the big names in front of him at Stamford Bridge.

The France Under-20 international made an impressive debut in the Champions League against Real Betis and followed that up in the 2-0 win over Anderlecht. How many players can say they've only played twice for thier club and both were in Champions League victories?

Lists Claude Makelele as his inspiration but it is likely to take a loan move for the midfield ace to really make a name for himself.

Anton Ferdinand
    West Ham

Position: Defender
    Date of Birth: 18/02/85
    Place of Birth: Peckham

Ferdinand is already a household name but he is still just 20-years-old. Obvious comparisons to his elder brother Rio may hold him back but Anton is a talent in his own right.

Cool under pressure, strong in the air and an ability to read the game make him perfect for the Premiership.

Occassional lapses of concentration should be ironed out with experience. It won't be long before a full England cap beckons.

Ryan Jarvis
    Norwich

Date of Birth: 11/07/86
    Place of Birth: Fakenham

Intelligent ball-player who ghosts into good positions naturally. Found it difficult to break into the Norwich first team and spent some time last season at Colchester honing his skills.

Needs more experience which he will probably get at a lower league level but definitely has the makings of a Premiership player.

David Nugent
    Preston

Date of Birth: 02/05/85
    Place of Birth: Liverpool

Strong and determined Nugent has already made a huge impact in the Championship.

His 21 goals last season took Preston to the play-off final although his strike ratio has tailed off a bit this term.

Nugent's workrate often buys him chances and Preston will do well to hold onto him if they fail to go up this year.

Curtis Davies
    West Brom

Date of Birth: 15/03/85
    Place of Birth: London

Curtis Davies is making a name for himself at the Baggies despite having been in the top flight for just four months.

The big centre-half learned his trade at Luton but has settled well in the Midlands.

Great in the air and a good reader of the game, Davies could be the key to West Brom staying up again this year.

Dexter Blackstock
    Southampton
    Nationality: Southampton

Date of Birth: 20/05/86
    Place of Birth: Oxford

Dexter Blackstock is one of the many Saints youngsters hitting the big time this season.

Along with Theo Walcott, Blackstock is definitely one for the future. Nine goals last season is likely to be bettered this time around and English mangers are always on the lookout for homegrown strikers.

His pace and power strike fear into defenders and he could command a big fee if Southampton do not return to the top flight next season.

Leighton Baines
    Wigan

Date of Birth: 11/12/84
    Place of Birth: Liverpool

One of the success stories of 2005, Leighton Baines is making waves in the Premiership.

Cynics say it is a shock Wigan are doing so well but with young players of this calibre it is no surprise.

At left-back his defending is sound but it his marauding runs and support play that make Baines such an exciting prospect.

Liam Rosenior
    Fulham

Date of Birth: 09/07/84
    Place of Birth: London

Chris Coleman plucked Rosenior from Bristol City in 2003 and has carefully nurtured him since. The beginning of this season has been a watershed with a run in the first team building confidence and experience.

Rosenior is one of those full-backs who likes to get forward at every opportunity - something that has vastly added to Fulham's attacking threat.

His one-on-one defending is also sound and it will not be long before he gets international recognition.
    :D:D:D;);)lol

they where didssapointed ........but this pic really looks a bit ok forget that
    back to bizz;)
    they dont look too disappointed there...more aroused ;)
    i never knew Shrek swung that way ;)

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    they dont look too disappointed there...more aroused ;)
    i never knew Shrek swung that way ;)

i won´t drive on this train ok .....:p

and i don´t want to be dropped here;)

and thisd pic is a joke ...
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    Real Madrid Rules!
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
    olderman wrote:
    Real Madrid Rules!

what not anymore they´ve lost their magic !!!!

well they never did sorry ..i just watched their matches bec. of louis figo !!!
    i won´t drive on this train ok .....:p

and i don´t want to be dropped here;)

and thisd pic is a joke ...
    nah..im the one driving..you just ride it ;)

nah it isnt a joke...dont be so homophobic..let Roo and Ronaldo be gay ;)
    well i bet they could beat Burton Albion :D

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    nah..im the one driving..you just ride it ;)

nah it isnt a joke...dont be so homophobic..let Roo and Ronaldo be gay ;)

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo;):p:p
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765

well they never did sorry ..i just watched their matches bec. of louis figo !!!

they will come back! just like the yankees in baseball, they will be back!!
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
    olderman wrote:
    they will come back! just like the yankees in baseball, they will be back!!

maybe but not this year or next ...
    maybe but not this year or next ...
    next season might be a possibility if they sign the right players during the summer.
    but for this season..its Barcelona all the way.

YNWA