Options

The 2009 New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Bruney traded to the Nationals for a player to be named later, Good riddance.

Would be a good day if the Yanks could get the Pettitte deal done.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'll miss Bruney. I know he had a tough season but i hoped he could have put it together and become a helpful part of the bullpen.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    this is kinda strange....
    a few NY papers today reported Bruney was going elsewhere but both said ......a few teams asked about the Yanks about Bruney but were denied bc he was already going to the Atlanta Braves
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Bruney was probably considered expendable with the hope that Coke and Roberts will improve over the offseason.

If Wang can get his form back he will be a great improvement for the pitching staff. His sinker is just what the Yanks need for Yankee Stadium. They got the infield to back him up!

Not sure of a Halladay deal. Supposedly they want Jesus Montero and either Joba or Hughes. I would give up Joba and Montero, but I would not want to sign Halladay to a deal longer then 3 years.

I am actually hoping that Cashman can keep the "brain trust" in Tampa from forcing a big free agent signing. Let Cashman wheel and deal like the old days and see what he can really do!
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,129
    It's funny how stuff works out, especially in baseball. At the start of the year, Bruney was the eighth-inning bridge to Rivera and then got hurt and never fully recovered though. Personally, I always liked him arm and stuff.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,547
    this is kinda strange....
    a few NY papers today reported Bruney was going elsewhere but both said ......a few teams asked about the Yanks about Bruney but were denied bc he was already going to the Atlanta Braves

That was based on if Soriano of the Braves was going to accept arbitration or not.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,547
    Bruney was probably considered expendable with the hope that Coke and Roberts will improve over the offseason.

If Wang can get his form back he will be a great improvement for the pitching staff. His sinker is just what the Yanks need for Yankee Stadium. They got the infield to back him up!

Not sure of a Halladay deal. Supposedly they want Jesus Montero and either Joba or Hughes. I would give up Joba and Montero, but I would not want to sign Halladay to a deal longer then 3 years.

I am actually hoping that Cashman can keep the "brain trust" in Tampa from forcing a big free agent signing. Let Cashman wheel and deal like the old days and see what he can really do!

Wang probably won't be able to throw until July.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Bruney traded to the Nationals for a player to be named later, Good riddance.

Would be a good day if the Yanks could get the Pettitte deal done.

he will be missed :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-epzHac_t0
  • Options
    Now there's talk of a 3 way trade with Dbacks, Tigers, and Yanks. It's up in the air who's involved but the Yanks are after Granderson, although it has been reported the Dbacks are pushing the trade.
  • Options
    Now there's talk of a 3 way trade with Dbacks, Tigers, and Yanks. It's up in the air who's involved but the Yanks are after Granderson, although it has been reported the Dbacks are pushing the trade.

Yeah, it sounds to me like the dbacks were pushing it. AJax, Kennedy, Coke and Dunn seems like a lot to give up for Granderson and a prospect or two especially with Grandersons struggles against lefties. Then again if Ajax develops into a player like Granderson that would be best case scenario so why not lock in a center fielder of his caliber. I am going to leave my trust in Cashman.
  • Options
    I dont really like this. I'm a fan of Granderson but i really dont like giving up Coke and Austin Jackson.
    Coke reminded me of an old yankee that would have been on the team in the 90's. Not great but he's still young and gutsy. Jackson has been talked about so much it be a shame not to be able to see what the guy can do as a Yank.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831
    Granderson huh? You thieves.
  • Options
    Looks like this trade is getting close. MLBTR has Tigers and Dbacks waiting on the Yankees approval.

I don't hate this trade as much as most, if fact I kind of like it. Coke and Dunn are non-factors (looks like it will only be one of the two). It hurts trading Jackson but if he turns out to be what the yankees hope, that is probably a player similar to Granderson with much less power. Why not trade potential for proven success at the same position? Grandersons splits and BABIP are a bit scary but I think that tells you he was swinging for the fences last year, nothing Kevin Long can't fix.

I think the worst part of the trade is including Kennedy. I feel like it is selling him short. He posted solid numbers after he came back in AAA and looked good in the AFL. He adds a whole lot of depth and I would have loved to see him have a shot in spring training next year. I guess the Yankees are probably not as high on him as I am.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Looks like this trade is getting close. MLBTR has Tigers and Dbacks waiting on the Yankees approval.

I don't hate this trade as much as most, if fact I kind of like it. Coke and Dunn are non-factors (looks like it will only be one of the two). It hurts trading Jackson but if he turns out to be what the yankees hope, that is probably a player similar to Granderson with much less power. Why not trade potential for proven success at the same position? Grandersons splits and BABIP are a bit scary but I think that tells you he was swinging for the fences last year, nothing Kevin Long can't fix.

I think the worst part of the trade is including Kennedy. I feel like it is selling him short. He posted solid numbers after he came back in AAA and looked good in the AFL. He adds a whole lot of depth and I would have loved to see him have a shot in spring training next year. I guess the Yankees are probably not as high on him as I am.

I don't understand this part either. Why send him to the Dbacks when it is reported that they are backing out of sending prospects to the Yanks. Drop the Dbacks from the trade and deal straight up with Detroit.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't understand this part either. Why send him to the Dbacks when it is reported that they are backing out of sending prospects to the Yanks. Drop the Dbacks from the trade and deal straight up with Detroit.

Yeah, I dont get why they couldn't just get it done without them, guess that was the only way for Detroit to get what they wanted from the Dbacks.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i agree. the team showed so much patience with hughes, why not give kennedy a fair shake too?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i agree. the team showed so much patience with hughes, why not give kennedy a fair shake too?

I agree, have to think the Yankees are not projecting him to be as good as they did when they drafted him in the 1st roung.

Overall, I think this is a solid trade though. Granderson will be a solid addition. I would definitelyl ike to see them still sign Damon as well.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I agree, have to think the Yankees are not projecting him to be as good as they did when they drafted him in the 1st roung.

Overall, I think this is a solid trade though. Granderson will be a solid addition. I would definitelyl ike to see them still sign Damon as well.

where can you possibly fit damon though? certaintly not in the outfield with granderson/swisher/melky/gardner

the DH spot is going to get pretty crowded too between damon, matsui, posada.
  • Options
    BronyBrony Posts: 628
    we should prob turn this thread into the 2010 nyy thread at this point ha
  • Options
    where can you possibly fit damon though? certaintly not in the outfield with granderson/swisher/melky/gardner

the DH spot is going to get pretty crowded too between damon, matsui, posada.

That is not a question because they are not bringing back Damon and Matusi especially after this trade. Damon can split time with Melky in left and DH. That gives the yanks and incredibly solid outifield of Swisher, Granderson, Damon/Melky and a flexible option at DH which is something I think the Yanks are looking to have. Gardner is going to lose playing time no matter what.

Edit: Melky is also expendable at this point although he is a solid cheap piece
  • Options
    I am a big fan of Dave Cameron from FanGraphs.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/the-big-trade/

From the Yankees perspective, this deal is almost too good to be true. Heading into his age 29 season, Granderson is a legitimate +4 win center fielder signed to a bargain contract for the next four years. I ranked him as the 22nd most valuable asset in terms of trade value in baseball over the summer, and the Yankees are getting him for a variety pack of role players. He instantly makes their team better, giving them a legitimate all-star center fielder who should thrive in Yankee Stadium. For as much as the Yankees have a payroll advantage, they continue to win because Brian Cashman targets the right players. Granderson is a fantastic acquisition for them.

A+ for the Yankees, who continue to show that they know what they’re doing. Not a bad deal for Detroit, who needed to save some cash. But man, I’m sorry for D’Backs fans, who just saw their team screw up.
  • Options
    I didn't realize Kennedy is almost 25. I am fine with losing him. He is a ways away from being a regular contributor and 25 is getting up there for a pitching prospect.
  • Options
    Seems like it's a done deal as long as they all pass the physicals. This trade will definitely give the Yanks some leverage in the Damon talks. I would almost be content with Melky LF, Granderson CF, Swisher RF, and Gardner backing up. But I have a feeling they will resign Damon and trade either Melky or Gardner in a deal with Toronto for Doc Halladay.

Curious as to who the Yanks are after if they use the Nationals Rule 5 pick as their player to be named.
  • Options
    ....Thieves....
  • Options
    ....Thieves....

So the Yanks are not supposed to trade or sign free agents now? :roll:
  • Options
    ....Thieves....

No, the World just wouldn't be right unless I loathed the Yankees.
  • Options
    ....Thieves....

Ha! I can understand that. I'm assuming your a Phils fan by your location of Lunch Meat.... I like their team outside of Rollins, but their fans started getting too cocky this year and it just got annoying....not quite to the Red Sox fans' levels though...
  • Options
    Seems like it's a done deal as long as they all pass the physicals. This trade will definitely give the Yanks some leverage in the Damon talks. I would almost be content with Melky LF, Granderson CF, Swisher RF, and Gardner backing up. But I have a feeling they will resign Damon and trade either Melky or Gardner in a deal with Toronto for Doc Halladay.

Curious as to who the Yanks are after if they use the Nationals Rule 5 pick as their player to be named.

Yeah, I hear you but I would definitely like to see Damon in the mix

Melky is definitely trade bait now. I just don't see how the Yanks can get a Halladay trade done without including Montero and I wouldn't do that.
  • Options
    Curtis Granderson... holy fuck.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options

Ha! I can understand that. I'm assuming your a Phils fan by your location of Lunch Meat.... I like their team outside of Rollins, but their fans started getting too cocky this year and it just got annoying....not quite to the Red Sox fans' levels though...

Yeah, definitely not to the level of Yankees or BoSox fans obnoxiousness. But the difference is also we're just flat out assholes and enjoy that in and of itself. I have absolutely no problem with Rollins. It's like when people used to tell me they hated Brian Dawkins, but now all of a sudden because he's a Bronco they like the way he plays.