Options

The 2009 New York Yankees Thread

1383940414244»

Comments

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,826
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I love this move. Vasquez as a mid rotation guy is huge. Its very sad to see Melky go but he was never part of the Yankees long term plans. Arodys Vizcaino is a pretty big prospect so I hate to see him go but I love the Yankees rotation next season.

Sabathia, Burnett, Vasquez, Pettitte, Hughes/Joba!!!! Fuck yes!!!

I think this is a great trade.

Have a hole if left field to fill.......

That's pretty huge. I'd put Vasquez above Burnette. Isn't he a free agent after this year? With that said, I'm sure he won't go anywhere.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,644
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I love this move. Vasquez as a mid rotation guy is huge. Its very sad to see Melky go but he was never part of the Yankees long term plans. Arodys Vizcaino is a pretty big prospect so I hate to see him go but I love the Yankees rotation next season.

Sabathia, Burnett, Vasquez, Pettitte, Hughes/Joba!!!! Fuck yes!!!

I think this is a great trade.

Have a hole if left field to fill.......

That's pretty huge. I'd put Vasquez above Burnette. Isn't he a free agent after this year? With that said, I'm sure he won't go anywhere.

I think they will keep Burnett #2 especially with a year in NY under his belt, keep some pressure off Vasquez after last time around. Some consider Vasquez the Yanks 4th starter.

Yeah, he is a FA next year. If they want him back they will pay him, if not next years FA class is pretty impressive.

Loving the Yanks rotation!
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,474
    Melky was carrying us for a while last year,I wish him well....hopefully he'll be a pain in the ass for the ny mess for years to come

still think bosox staff is a lil better
    their offense doesn't scare me though
  • Options
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    Melky was carrying us for a while last year,I wish him well....hopefully he'll be a pain in the ass for the ny mess for years to come

still think bosox staff is a lil better
    their offense doesn't scare me though

Yeah, its tough to see Melky go after this past year. For a while he was the guy you wanted up with the game on the line. Wish him all the best, but this team is better with Vasquez rather than Melky.

I think the Yanks and Boston's staff are a toss up. Yanks are now just as deep, each have 6 starters going into Spring Training right now.

Yankees:
    CC
    AJ
    Pettitte
    Vasquez
    Hughes
    Joba

Boston:
    Beckett
    Lester
    Lackey
    Dice K
    Wakefield
    Buccholz
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    SWEET. Bring back the guy that gave up the granny to Johnny Damon in game 7 of the the '04 ALCS!!!

damon_johnny1021.jpg

Seriously, I'm a HUGE Javi Vazquez sympathizer. As a stat/fantasy nerd, I love the guy and always end up drafitng him in my roto leagues before anyone else as his underlying numbers always had me thinking he was destined for something great, and I rode him in ALL my leagues last year to a great season ... feel he's always been undervalued in that realm.

That said, there's something about his AL performance over the years that would have me a tad concerned.

He had a nice spike in ground balls allowed last year, he'll need to keep that up at home next year.

Probably going to be a good move for the Yanks ... admit I'd rather have him on the Sox.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    SWEET. Bring back the guy that gave up the granny to Johnny Damon in game 7 of the the '04 ALCS!!!

damon_johnny1021.jpg

Seriously, I'm a HUGE Javi Vazquez sympathizer. As a stat/fantasy nerd, I love the guy and always end up drafitng him in my roto leagues before anyone else as his underlying numbers always had me thinking he was destined for something great, and I rode him in ALL my leagues last year to a great season ... feel he's always been undervalued in that realm.

That said, there's something about his AL performance over the years that would have me a tad concerned.

He had a nice spike in ground balls allowed last year, he'll need to keep that up at home next year.

Probably going to be a good move for the Yanks ... admit I'd rather have him on the Sox.

That pitch is why many yankees fans are crying about this trade today.

I personally love this trade like I said. The guy pitches 200 innings every year and strikes out a ton of guys. This time around he is at the back end of the rotation whereas in 2004 he was at the front. He had a great first half in 2004 and couldn't get his mechanics under control in the 2nd half then the Yankees made one of the worst trades I can remember. He took the wrath for the collapse.

Good to have him back and he makes this team a whole lot better than they were yesterday.
  • Options
    Props to Cashman this offseason as well. Brought in Granderson and Vasquez making this team better without losing Montero, Joba or Hughes. Well done Cashman.
  • Options
    The Yankees have inquired about Cliff Lee, trade w/ Mariners.

http://twitter.com/philliesnation/status/6942724142

This can't be true.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Yankees have inquired about Cliff Lee, trade w/ Mariners.

http://twitter.com/philliesnation/status/6942724142

This can't be true.

Yep, not true.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    wow, cashman is throwing haymakers so far!

i always liked melky alot. i remember what was his first or second game for the yanks. playing centerfield in fenway park, and he TOTALLY misplayed a ball and it ended up going over his head for an inside the park homerun. i think he was sent back down to the minors shortly after, and wondered if that was the last we would see of him.

this trade totally benefits the yanks, but melky was a really likeable personality, wish him the best in the NL. sad to see him go.

bring back damon!
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,120
    To me this trade is a no-brainer. Vazquez is among the more durable pitchers and is not old like Kevin Brown and Randy Johnson were at the time of their acquisitions. He's also in a contract year, so he'll probably pitch well and if you don't re-sign him, I'd think he'd be a Type A or Type B free agent, so at the worst you don't re-sign him and get at least one draft pick. Now, what makes it more intriguing is left field. When they acquired Granderson, the assumption was Cabrera slides over to left and they don't re-sign Damon. Now there's an opening there because I don't see them making Brett Gardner an every day outfielder.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    After a disgusting display by the Giants there is one thing that can cheer me up...

yankeestrophyR_450x300.jpg
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    After a disgusting display by the Giants there is one thing that can cheer me up...

I feel the same way, haha.

I'd much rather see the Yanks win than the Giants anyway... watching the Giants beat the Patriots gave me enough happiness to last a lifetime.

Anyway, it really was a shameful performance today. I mean, they had to win out to reach the playoffs, and it was the last game ever at Giants Stadium, and they played like the Redskins did last week. It's clear that they're a world apart from the Super Bowl team, and it's also clear that losing Burress affected the team tremendously.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,537
    tcaporale wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I feel the same way, haha.

I'd much rather see the Yanks win than the Giants anyway... watching the Giants beat the Patriots gave me enough happiness to last a lifetime.

Anyway, it really was a shameful performance today. I mean, they had to win out to reach the playoffs, and it was the last game ever at Giants Stadium, and they played like the Redskins did last week. It's clear that they're a world apart from the Super Bowl team, and it's also clear that losing Burress affected the team tremendously.

I don't think not having Burress had anything to do with it. Eli is having his best passing year. And completion percentage. It's the defense that has been the problem.

I can't wait for spring training. I know they probably won't do this. But I'd like to see Brett Gardner play a full season. See how he does.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

I don't think not having Burress had anything to do with it. Eli is having his best passing year. And completion percentage. It's the defense that has been the problem.

I can't wait for spring training. I know they probably won't do this. But I'd like to see Brett Gardner play a full season. See how he does.

Its unreal how far the defense has fallen. And Osi is gone more than likely, good chance AP is gone, sad to see these guys go after the Superbowl run. Going to be a different looking defense next year which is not necessarily a bad thing with how they played for the majority of this season.

Spring training is right around the corner...kind of. I hear you on Gardner, I dont think they will do it but I would not mind seeing him on a daily basis the more and more I think about it. I think he is a better option than the guys available besides Holliday. He has a decent OBP and obviously has lots of speed. Not bad for the 9 hole. I would still like them to give the Damon negotiations one more chance, but i dont see that happening.
  • Options
    I like this, Montero is the 5th best prospect in all of baseball according to Baseball America and well ahead of some pretty big names, including the Red Sox prized possession.

5. Jesus Montero, c/dh, Yankees
    WHY HE’S HERE: The minors’ best hitter, Montero gets compared to Mike Piazza as a catcher whose hitting tools far outstrip his defense. However, the Yankees don’t see him as Jorge Posada’s heir, because his defense is on par with Piazza’s or worse.
    WHAT HE’LL BE: Because he’s likely to move out from behind the plate, Montero should be a first baseman or DH primarily. Other ex-catchers with premium bats such as Paul Konerko and Carlos Delgado leap to mind.
    WHEN HE ARRIVES: New York’s offseason moves will dictate whether Montero spends all season at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre or moves up to the big leagues as a part-time catcher and DH.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=7425
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I like this, Montero is the 5th best prospect in all of baseball according to Baseball America and well ahead of some pretty big names, including the Red Sox prized possession.

WHY HE’S HERE: The minors’ best hitter, Montero gets compared to Mike Piazza as a catcher whose hitting tools far outstrip his defense. However, the Yankees don’t see him as Jorge Posada’s heir, because his defense is on par with Piazza’s or worse.
    WHAT HE’LL BE: Because he’s likely to move out from behind the plate, Montero should be a first baseman or DH primarily. Other ex-catchers with premium bats such as Paul Konerko and Carlos Delgado leap to mind.
    WHEN HE ARRIVES: New York’s offseason moves will dictate whether Montero spends all season at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre or moves up to the big leagues as a part-time catcher and DH.

That's cause Kelly is young, and the real prizes of the Sox org. are at the big club already. Clay Buchholz being the big one.

There is no doubt the Yankees have gotten smarter, but where is this kid gonna play if he can't catch? posada will be your DH, and tex is your 1b. For a few seasons at least.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's cause Kelly is young, and the real prizes of the Sox org. are at the big club already. Clay Buchholz being the big one.

There is no doubt the Yankees have gotten smarter, but where is this kid gonna play if he can't catch? posada will be your DH, and tex is your 1b. For a few seasons at least.

Casey Kelly and Montero are basically the same age, Kelly is two months younger.

I still think the Yankees are trying to have him catch. At least at first and well enough to split time with Posada until he is done. They are only going to be on the same team for a year and a half at most. Montero still needs some time in triple a.
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    If Cervelli grows even more into the catcher position I don't see Montero getting much time anytime soon. That kid flat out plays hard and hustles. I'm hoping he is the #2 catcher this year rather then a emergency backup. From what I've read the management likes his approach with the pitchers, he's not afraid to give pointers to the veterans.

If Montero is that good of a hitter I would hope he learns to play an outfield position.

You can see the Yanks were planning well for Posada's eventual departure from behind the plate, plenty of prospects to fill in.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    If Cervelli grows even more into the catcher position I don't see Montero getting much time anytime soon. That kid flat out plays hard and hustles. I'm hoping he is the #2 catcher this year rather then a emergency backup. From what I've read the management likes his approach with the pitchers, he's not afraid to give pointers to the veterans.

If Montero is that good of a hitter I would hope he learns to play an outfield position.

You can see the Yanks were planning well for Posada's eventual departure from behind the plate, plenty of prospects to fill in.

The Yankees really are stocked with catchers, Cervelli, Montero, Romine.

I do think that Cervelli is going to be the backup catcher coming into the season but I have to disagree with you on Cervelli playing more than Montero when he comes up. Cervelli cannot hit and is not going to be in the lineup over Montero even if he does handle the pitchers a bit better. The Yankees have a veteran pitching staff and they know what they are going to throw and when.
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The Yankees really are stocked with catchers, Cervelli, Montero, Romine.

I do think that Cervelli is going to be the backup catcher coming into the season but I have to disagree with you on Cervelli playing more than Montero when he comes up. Cervelli cannot hit and is not going to be in the lineup over Montero even if he does handle the pitchers a bit better. The Yankees have a veteran pitching staff and they know what they are going to throw and when.

So the Yankees have a good problem at catcher! Montero needs to become a seasoned catcher, while Cervelli needs to become a better hitter. And if both improve where they need to, the Yanks will have a very difficult decision.

As far as the veteran pitching staff, sometimes they get stuck in their ways and need someone to point that out, and that is one place where Cervelli has not had a problem, he is not in awe of their star status.

Only time will tell which one will win out the position, or if the Yanks get greedy and bring in Mauer. Should be fun to watch.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?