Options

The 2009 New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Yeah, definitely not to the level of Yankees or BoSox fans obnoxiousness. But the difference is also we're just flat out assholes and enjoy that in and of itself. I have absolutely no problem with Rollins. It's like when people used to tell me they hated Brian Dawkins, but now all of a sudden because he's a Bronco they like the way he plays.

Jimmy Rollins is a jerkoff, shut the fuck up and play the game. While Dawkins was so intense it was a bit embarassing and funny at times, he is not a jerkoff
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,547
    i don't know about giving up Austin Jackson. But I'm okay with Granderson.

Maybe we should move this to the new thread.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=117174
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    No, the World just wouldn't be right unless I loathed the Yankees.

Ha! I can understand that. I'm assuming your a Phils fan by your location of Lunch Meat.... I like their team outside of Rollins, but their fans started getting too cocky this year and it just got annoying....not quite to the Red Sox fans' levels though...

Yeah, definitely not to the level of Yankees or BoSox fans obnoxiousness. But the difference is also we're just flat out assholes and enjoy that in and of itself. I have absolutely no problem with Rollins. It's like when people used to tell me they hated Brian Dawkins, but now all of a sudden because he's a Bronco they like the way he plays.

I agree with you that some of your fans meet your description. It amazes me that the Philly fans would rather root against a team then for their team. I heard more Yankees Suck chants then Let's Go Phillies chants during the series. But then again I guess anything is better then the newly muted Yankee Stadium.

With 27 titles Yankee fans deserve to be obnoxious, the Red Sox.... not so much....

Rollins needs to start letting his game do the talking for a while, maybe Chase can give him some lessons on how to deal with the media.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

With 27 titles Yankee fans deserve to be obnoxious, the Red Sox.... not so much....

No one deserves to be obnoxious.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    What do you guys think of getting my favorite Tiger, Granderson. As a Tiger fan I don't like the deal because I love Granderson and Jackson was all we had after Verlander. I've heard Yankee fans don't like it giving up all those prospects but prospects are overrated.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,129
    I like it for a few reasons. One is a selfish reason as a media guy as he is among the game's most personable players and loose easy-going personalities from good players is not overrated, especially on the Yankees. Another is that when half your games are at Yankee Stadium and when you pull the ball 50 percent of the time, that's a good thing also. Plus, I figure Granderson is more like the .275, 20 homer type than the .249, 30 homer type with the low on-base percentage.

As for Jackson, you have to give up something to get something and that's the risk you take. Ideally, you'd have liked to have kept him, but if he develops into the player projected for him, in six years (assuming he makes the Tigers next season), Granderson will be 36 and Jackson will be a free agent.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:

No one deserves to be obnoxious.

LOL!! Your right, but I couldn't think of a better word, it was the end of the day at work...
  • Options
    Damn, Yanks are getting it done. Pettitte signed for one year, $11.75 mil. Not too many holes left. I would like to see them resign Damon and add some pitching but looking pretty good so far.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Damn, Yanks are getting it done. Pettitte signed for one year, $11.75 mil. Not too many holes left. I would like to see them resign Damon and add some pitching but looking pretty good so far.

that's good. looks like the angels are the front runners for halladay.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    The Yankees got a good one in Granderson, as a long time Tiger fan, this trade sucks and is a salary dump. You Yankee fans will love Granderson.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

most will not agree but i really dont want halladay. didnt realize he is 32. on that note, i dont want anyone else in AL east to have him either.

btw....always wondering....
    who is that in your Loser picture??
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

most will not agree but i really dont want halladay. didnt realize he is 32. on that note, i dont want anyone else in AL east to have him either.

I would love halladay just don't want them to give up Montero or Hughes and this deal is not getting done without at least Montero.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

I would love halladay just don't want them to give up Montero or Hughes and this deal is not getting done without at least Montero.

The Phils are now rumored to making a push for Halladay. Doesn't make much sense to me. They would have to give up Happ and either Dominic Brown or Michael Taylor for Halladay. Plus they would probably have to clear some salary to afford his extension. They would have a hard time re-signing Lee if they pull this deal off.

I wouldn't mind the Yanks trading for Halladay, just don't want to see them give him an extension for more then 3 years. I feel Joba, Montero, and another player would make a fair deal. I see more upside with Hughes then Joba. From what I've read Montero probably won't end up a catcher in the big leagues anyway, and 1B is taken for a while by Tex. So that doesn't leave many options for the kid. Especially if Jeter declines at SS and needs to be moved to RF. But then again I'm no MLB scout or GM, so take it for what it's worth....not much.... ;)
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The Yankees got a good one in Granderson, as a long time Tiger fan, this trade sucks and is a salary dump. You Yankee fans will love Granderson.

unless he is facing a lefty. granderson's splits are worse than ryan howards, and that is saying something. he is a great CF, but he can't hit lefties to save his life
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

unless he is facing a lefty. granderson's splits are worse than ryan howards, and that is saying something. he is a great CF, but he can't hit lefties to save his life

It is actually when he is facing a lefty. He is a .210 career hitter against lefties.

And that is why as of right now cashman said he is batting 2nd against righties and at the bottom against lefties. I think damon will be back and he will be batting 6th all the time though.

Good pickup. If the biggest complaint is that he can't hit lefties I am all good. He had 22 home runs to right field last year, think about that number in new yankee stadium.
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

me
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

It is actually when he is facing a lefty. He is a .210 career hitter against lefties.

And that is why as of right now cashman said he is batting 2nd against righties and at the bottom against lefties. I think damon will be back and he will be batting 6th all the time though.

Good pickup. If the biggest complaint is that he can't hit lefties I am all good. He had 22 home runs to right field last year, think about that number in new yankee stadium.

And didn't Paul O'Neill have bad numbers against lefties before he came to the Yankees? And look what happened since.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

that's what I meant...yankee fans will love him unless he is facing LH pitching. He can't hit lefties. he will still be better in CF than melky or gardner, so it's a nice pickup for the yanks. and they didn't give up much (austin jackson could be decent, but it's fact that most yankee prospects are overhyped).

Most analysts feel like the tigers got the best of this deal.

I don't even know why I'm posting in this thread. I could care less about the yanks.
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    I'm disappointed that Austin Jackson was dealt, but hopefully the gamble pays off. If Granderson can improve the average and on base percentage, he will become a huge asset.
    Brian
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,129
    The Angels signed Matsui to a one-year deal. At this point, I'd assume Damon would be returning to get the majority of at-bats at DH.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    I spoke with a dude this wknd who is the biggggggggest Yanks fan i have ever seen and knows more about the Yanks organization than one ever should. His point re granderson was interesting...

I said i was bummed they gave up Austin. His point was....
    The Yanks were expecting/hoping Austin was going to be a player very similar to both Granderson and Mike Cameron. So instead of anticipating or hoping,,.....they just went out and got the real thing.

We shall see.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

• Options
    I spoke with a dude this wknd who is the biggggggggest Yanks fan i have ever seen and knows more about the Yanks organization than one ever should. His point re granderson was interesting...

I said i was bummed they gave up Austin. His point was....
    The Yanks were expecting/hoping Austin was going to be a player very similar to both Granderson and Mike Cameron. So instead of anticipating or hoping,,.....they just went out and got the real thing.

We shall see.

This is what I have been saying all along....

Now, Cashman go get Damon...but not for more than 2 years.
  • Options
    Via River Ave Blues...Options for Left Field.

1) Matt Holliday for eight years
    2) Jason Bay for five years
    3) Johnny Damon for three years
    4) Melky Cabrera for one year

What do you do?

I think I would take Melky for one, but they really need another bat.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

What do you do?

Hideki Matsui will be missed, but i kind of knew he would not be resigned. At least he had his fairwell bash in the world series!

-Holiday's small sample size in the american league was not good but more importantly i'm not sure i want the yanks to tie up big money in another 8 year contract!
    -Bay is a little older and not a great fielder but i think he might be a better fit. Espcially since he won't have to be "the guy" in the line up. He might excel with the pressure not on him to carry a team. Not that he was poor before.
    -Damon is a tough call for me. I'd rather have him for 2 years then 3. Defense is not good, but he must seems to get hits when you need him to and there is soemthing to be said for a guy who does not wilt under pressure. After a bad begining of the post season he really came back and made a big impact in the world series. If you look at his OPS+ though the last two years were eitehr tied for the best (2008) or his best year (2009) of his career. Kind of scary when a guy at his age does that. The cliff has to be coming soon right?
    -Melky for a year- not bad i don't know what the OF free agent market looks like. Honestly though if they were going to settle with Melky for a year i wish they woudl have signed Hideki Matsui to make up for the lack of Melky's bat.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

What do you do?

Hideki Matsui will be missed, but i kind of knew he would not be resigned. At least he had his fairwell bash in the world series!

-Holiday's small sample size in the american league was not good but more importantly i'm not sure i want the yanks to tie up big money in another 8 year contract!
    -Bay is a little older and not a great fielder but i think he might be a better fit. Espcially since he won't have to be "the guy" in the line up. He might excel with the pressure not on him to carry a team. Not that he was poor before.
    -Damon is a tough call for me. I'd rather have him for 2 years then 3. Defense is not good, but he must seems to get hits when you need him to and there is soemthing to be said for a guy who does not wilt under pressure. After a bad begining of the post season he really came back and made a big impact in the world series. If you look at his OPS+ though the last two years were eitehr tied for the best (2008) or his best year (2009) of his career. Kind of scary when a guy at his age does that. The cliff has to be coming soon right?
    -Melky for a year- not bad i don't know what the OF free agent market looks like. Honestly though if they were going to settle with Melky for a year i wish they woudl have signed Hideki Matsui to make up for the lack of Melky's bat.

I would never give Holliday 8 years, that is insane. Bay at 5 years is a tough call but I still don't think I would do it. He has enough of an injury history to scare the red sox away from 5 years so I would think it would scare the Yanks away as well. Plus he is a pretty bad defensive player. Damon at 3 years is tough but other guys are going to need dh at bats over the next 3 years and he is going to clog that position up after next season probably. I would love to get him for 2 but not sure if that is possible.

It would have been great to have Matusi's bat back in the lineup if they stick Melky in left next year. I say they find a decent bat for a year to dh and keep melky. Would Vlad be an option to DH for 1 year? Could they get him for 1 year?

This allows the Yanks to hold over until Carl Crawford is a FA next season. That's my plan if I am Cashman
  • Options
    Yanks very interested in Ben Sheets, I would love for them to sign him to an incentive laced deal.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    so now that Matsui is an Angel of Anaheim
    does this mean Damon will be around for another year,
    sore calves and all?
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    so now that Matsui is an Angel of Anaheim
    does this mean Damon will be around for another year,
    sore calves and all?

Need another bat, so that is what I would like to see.
  • Options
    IF damon signs that leaves an interesting situation for top of the order.... my vote would be to keep jeter lead off then damon #2.......then put granderson #9. Nice to have a lead off & speed guy closing out the order and setting up the top.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

• Options
    IF damon signs that leaves an interesting situation for top of the order.... my vote would be to keep jeter lead off then damon #2.......then put granderson #9. Nice to have a lead off & speed guy closing out the order and setting up the top.

That would work out great for Jeter since he has a habit of hitting into double plays, the speed will help cut that down.

Bring Damon back but just for 2 years.

What does everyone think of the Chapman kid out of Cuba? Think the Yanks will make a strong push for him?