mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    Nick Johnson hitting ahead of Tex and A-Rod is going to be amazing
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    mulva9 wrote:

... for the 150 ABs he's heathly for.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    mulva9 wrote:

I am absolutely pumped about this move, like it a lot more than Matsui at DH and rolling over the ball 2 times a game.
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    mulva9 wrote:

... for the 150 ABs he's heathly for.

He will stay healthy as a full time DH. He might play 1st ten times next year. This is a great move, he is an on base machine.
  • Options
    Did I mention I love the idea of the yanks signing Nick Johnson? Welcome back brother!
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I didnt' hear of this until now. I think it will be a good move, I know my Dad will be happy with it, he was always complaining that the traded him away. If he's not playing the field it should cut down his chances to get hurt!! :)

So next they can sign Chapman and add another young arm to the future rotation.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    nick johnson our new # 2 hitter? his OBP is insane. good set up for tex/arod.
  • Options
    I bought a Nick Johnson t-shirt back in 2003 about 3 weeks before he got traded. Time to bust it back out.
  • Options
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/y ... atsui.html

Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News hears that Scott Boras and Johnny Damon talked with the Yankees yesterday and would have considered a two-year deal. The sides weren't close, so it now appears that Damon's tenure with the Bombers is over. Damon will have other suitors, but leaving the Yankees behind won't be easy.

"I know there are some teams interested," Damon told Feinsand. "But the Yankees are the best organization I've been a part of so far in my career."

Looks like Damon is deinitely gone, too bad, he could have been really helpful this year. I don't blame the yankees for not caving in and am glad they aren't but he will be missed.

I really like the Nick Johnson signing assuming it is completed, Tex and Arods RBI's are going to be insane. One year of Melky in left and please please please sign Carl Crawford next season.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/yankees-rumors-damon-johnson-matsui.html

Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News hears that Scott Boras and Johnny Damon talked with the Yankees yesterday and would have considered a two-year deal. The sides weren't close, so it now appears that Damon's tenure with the Bombers is over. Damon will have other suitors, but leaving the Yankees behind won't be easy.

"I know there are some teams interested," Damon told Feinsand. "But the Yankees are the best organization I've been a part of so far in my career."

Looks like Damon is deinitely gone, too bad, he could have been really helpful this year. I don't blame the yankees for not caving in and am glad they aren't but he will be missed.

I really like the Nick Johnson signing assuming it is completed, Tex and Arods RBI's are going to be insane. One year of Melky in left and please please please sign Carl Crawford next season.

Not to sound too cynical but I am sure Johnny said Boston was the best organization he was part of before he took the Yanks money! If he truly wanted to come back he would have taken the lesser deal, he is becoming a limited player in the field so his value should diminish too.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/yankees-rumors-damon-johnson-matsui.html

Not to sound too cynical but I am sure Johnny said Boston was the best organization he was part of before he took the Yanks money! If he truly wanted to come back he would have taken the lesser deal, he is becoming a limited player in the field so his value should diminish too.

Completely agree
  • Options
    9:20am: ESPN.com's Buster Olney says the Yankees will move on to new targets if Johnson passes his physical. Next up? Starting pitching and Mark DeRosa (if the price is right).

I like this too!
  • Options
    yea looks like johnny's a goner.
    you think johnson will hit #2? I can see jeter/granderson taking the 1-2 spots & NJ being #5?
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    yea looks like johnny's a goner.
    you think johnson will hit #2? I can see jeter/granderson taking the 1-2 spots & NJ being #5?

Nick Johnson does not have enough power to hit 5th. I think he is the perfect replacement to bat 2nd, high on base perecntage will be huge in front of Tex and Arod. Granderson has more power and a lower OBP so I think he is a better fit for the 5 hole.
  • Options
    Actually see Granderson in the 9th position. They need someone with speed batting in front of Jeter to cut down on the chances of a double play.

So who do you all think is next on the list to fill a hole on the Yanks?
  • Options
    Actually see Granderson in the 9th position. They need someone with speed batting in front of Jeter to cut down on the chances of a double play.

So who do you all think is next on the list to fill a hole on the Yanks?

Yeah possibly, I would just hate for a guy with potential for 30+ home runs in that stadium to bat 9th. Would love to see him with an opportunity with people on base more often.

Rumors today about Mark DeRosa, that would be nice as a super utility guy. Would love Holliday on a 5 year contract. Most realistically, I see the next move being a starting pitcher.....Ben Sheets please.
  • Options
    I don't see a guy who hit 30 HR's last year and has the potential to hit 35 plus in Yankee Stadium batting 9th.

I'm not sure where he'll be yet, but Nick Johnson is a total waste as DH in my opinion. On this team he would make a great pinch hitter type. But DH? Come on, we gave up Matsui and Damon and are replacing it with Granderson and Johnson? How these guys fit into the line up is a tough one, but I don't see Granderson 9th.
    6-25-2008 MSG
    10-31-2009 Spectrum
    5-18-2010 Newark
  • Options
    I don't see a guy who hit 30 HR's last year and has the potential to hit 35 plus in Yankee Stadium batting 9th.

I'm not sure where he'll be yet, but Nick Johnson is a total waste as DH in my opinion. On this team he would make a great pinch hitter type. But DH? Come on, we gave up Matsui and Damon and are replacing it with Granderson and Johnson? How these guys fit into the line up is a tough one, but I don't see Granderson 9th.

How does a guy with a .426 OBP not fit into this lineup batting in front of Tex and Arod? That is the perfect hitter for that position in my opinion. Not every DH has to hit 25-30 home runs, especially with the Yanks lineup. I like Johnson at DH just as much as Matusi.

I don't see Granderson 9th either, maybe against lefties.
  • Options
    Johnson is the perfect #2 hitter. I see Posada batting 5th and Granderson 6th. I'd hate to see Granderson in the 5th spot and always having situations late in the game where A-Rod gets pitched around and a lefty is brought in to face Granderson.
  • Options
    I think the Yanks can get by without DeRossa, I liked what that Pena kid showed last year when they pulled him up. Maybe offer Nady a low-ball incentive laden contract and see what he can do as a fill-in outfielder.

The Yankees need to keep their hard line stance on the free agents and stop being used by agents to drive up the contracts. I like that they are not caving in to Damon's contract demands. Keep the same attitude with the free agent pitchers and maybe get a steal! I wholeheartedly disagree with Rosenthal's article today stating the Yanks need Damon as much as he needs them. That guy is living in a fantasy world as usual.
  • Options
    I think the Yanks can get by without DeRossa, I liked what that Pena kid showed last year when they pulled him up. Maybe offer Nady a low-ball incentive laden contract and see what he can do as a fill-in outfielder.

The Yankees need to keep their hard line stance on the free agents and stop being used by agents to drive up the contracts. I like that they are not caving in to Damon's contract demands. Keep the same attitude with the free agent pitchers and maybe get a steal! I wholeheartedly disagree with Rosenthal's article today stating the Yanks need Damon as much as he needs them. That guy is living in a fantasy world as usual.

Yeah, looks like DeRosa is asking for too much as well. I read on MLBTR he was a 3 year and decent sized contract. He would have been more helpful in the outfield than utility in the infield.

Agree on the way they are dealing with Damon. He is out of his mind and it bit him in the ass. I dont see him getting more than the Yankees already offered. Maybe a mil or two but not substantially higher. I definitely think they can get by and the Rosehthal article is idiotic. He suggests the yankees trade swisher who is younger and cheaper for and resign damon who can barely play the field. No thanks.

Ben Sheets should be the next option, 5 mil with lots and lots of incentives. Spring training starters are CC, AJ, Pettitte, Joba, Hughes (with an innings cap) and Sheets and let the back end battle it out.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,129
    I think this describes Johnson's good on-base percentage and patience at the plate:

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2009/12/18/l ... k-forward/
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    I literally walked into Granderson thursday coming out of my work building. He was coming in i guess to visit MLB hq which is the same building. I was surprised how big he is. I always pictured him to be kinda short & smaller. Not at all the case. Also looked 18 years old. Was non stop smiling. Looks realllly stoked to be a Yank!
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

• Options
    I literally walked into Granderson thursday coming out of my work building. He was coming in i guess to visit MLB hq which is the same building. I was surprised how big he is. I always pictured him to be kinda short & smaller. Not at all the case. Also looked 18 years old. Was non stop smiling. Looks realllly stoked to be a Yank!

Thats awesome man. I am really excited about the pickup.
  • Options
    Yanks look like they are closing in on a trade for a pitcher and it is not a salary dump. Means not Lowe or Harang (thankfully). Who could it be?!?!?!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,664
    Yankees only MLB team hit with tax

NEW YORK -- Winning came with a hefty price for the New York Yankees.

The World Series champions were hit with a luxury tax of nearly $25.69 million Monday, according to information received by clubs and obtained by The Associated Press.

New York is the only team to pay a tax for this season and has crossed the threshold in all seven years since the tax started. According to the collective bargaining agreement, the Yankees must send a check to the commissioner's office by Jan. 31.

The Yankees have been billed $174 million of the tax's $190 million total since 2003. The only other teams to pay have been Boston ($13.9 million for 2004-7), Detroit ($1.3 million for 2008) and the Los Angeles Angels ($927,059 for 2004).

damn! :shock: :shock: :shock:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yanks look like they are closing in on a trade for a pitcher and it is not a salary dump. Means not Lowe or Harang (thankfully). Who could it be?!?!?!
    I'm really intriqued by this. I have no idea. I was thinking how can it not be Lowe? But salary dump issue makes it interesting. Just please hang onto Joba & Hughes!!
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

• Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I'm really intriqued by this. I have no idea. I was thinking how can it not be Lowe? But salary dump issue makes it interesting. Just please hang onto Joba & Hughes!!
    Looks like it may be bye bye Melky. I'm kinda bummed about it.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,129
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2009/12/22/a ... omecoming/

It's Javier Vazquez. I've always liked his stuff when he was on the Expos and was more than willing to keep him instead of putting him in the deal for Randy Johnson. I'd think this would mean Joba is more likely to be in the pen next year.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    I love this move. Vasquez as a mid rotation guy is huge. Its very sad to see Melky go but he was never part of the Yankees long term plans. Arodys Vizcaino is a pretty big prospect so I hate to see him go but I love the Yankees rotation next season.

Sabathia, Burnett, Vasquez, Pettitte, Hughes/Joba!!!! Fuck yes!!!

I think this is a great trade.

Have a hole if left field to fill.......