Options

The 2009 New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Options
    smarchee wrote:
    4 game sweep in Toronto I smell cooking

GO JAYS !!!
    I'm walking down there now for the game. Somehow I got invited to the Rogers VIP reception in a luxury box.

I'm going for the food...not the jays
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    smarchee wrote:

GO JAYS !!!
    I'm walking down there now for the game. Somehow I got invited to the Rogers VIP reception in a luxury box.

food is way better than watching that lame ass team

through a cheese ball at VWells
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,129
    smarchee wrote:

GO JAYS !!!

Maybe if this was 1990 with Dave Stieb or Jimmy Key on the mound..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Hip Hip JORGE!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:

GO JAYS !!!

Sushi.....Sliders......Pizza......Free Beer

Too bad the jays suck ass.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    smarchee wrote:

GO JAYS !!!

pascual perez would get the job done.
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:

GO JAYS !!!

pascual perez would get the job done.

andy hawkins also..
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    my friends and i always rattle off names from the early 90's yankees to each other. interesting little time period for that organization. i remember my dad taking me to the games and there would literally be only 14,000 people in attendance.
  • Options
    my friends and i always rattle off names from the early 90's yankees to each other. interesting little time period for that organization. i remember my dad taking me to the games and there would literally be only 14,000 people in attendance.

Danny Tartabul was a big signing :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

he lived less than a mile away from me in north jersey, and my friends and i would ride our bikes past his house all the time and put baseball cards in his mailbox expecting him to sign them and put it back in the mail box for us. haha, so naive.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    intodeep wrote:

he lived less than a mile away from me in north jersey, and my friends and i would ride our bikes past his house all the time and put baseball cards in his mailbox expecting him to sign them and put it back in the mail box for us. haha, so naive.

haha, great story

wonder what he did with all those baseball cards in his mailbox
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options

sat in the bleachers a few times back then, and they were empty. a few of my friends went to one of the last mayor's trophy games against the Mets, bought nosebleeds and walked right down to first row behind the dugout. My friend got the blowoff from pat kelly, but snagged the first pitch ball from then Mayor Dave Dinkins
  • Options
    That was back when George was complaining about the attendence citing reluctance of the fans to come to the South Bronx.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,547
    41 games over
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Oh yea and Jeter tied Gehrig for most hits as a Yankee.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    The Yanks are peaking too early!

(wishful thinking)
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    When Jeter breaks the record, he will become the sixth Yankee to have it. The others are Willie Keeler, Hal Chase, Wally Pipp, Babe Ruth and Gehrig.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    Jeter has been consistantly very good. Not Great in my opinion, but VERY GOOD for a very long time. I say that as a compliment. Some guys put together 5-8 years of very good seasons. It is difficult to do what he has done for the amount of time he has done it.

It was great to see him tie the record.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    jimed14 wrote:
    The Yanks are peaking too early!

(wishful thinking)

Most years I would agree with you but not this year. This team has shown for a long time that it is a very very good team. After their early season slump they have gone on a tear. 7, 7 game winning streaks is very impressive.

What a great night last night. Jeter ties Lou and the Yanks sweep the Rays.

*Missed the wishful thinking until just now
  • Options
    I'm lovin the little things....such as...
    there have been so many games where the starting pitcher is close to a no-hitter, or taking a perfect game into the 6th/7th etc. John Sterling said...in his 20+ years covering the yanks this is the best bench and depth he has ever seen. MotherF*ckn Brett Gardner. Watching the pre and post game have been just as interesting as the games lately just to hear what people are saying. I loved Dave Cone going into a 5 min rap on how the team just outlasts the opponent. They dont always play pretty or dominate a game but they find a way to outlast the other team at the end....the walkoffs, 15-0 this year when tied in the 7th inning of later.
    A lot of interesting stuff.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,532
    Jeter sucks. :lol:

Only kidding. Good hitter, not a great defensemen, but reasonably okay on defense. I know he's made some highlight reel plays in the past, but he's no Ozzie Smith.

Tex has to come down at some point. I thought the Angels would dominate last year with him and that lineup and we all know how that went. C.C. has been surprisingly....well, not good because he is good, but surprisingly healthy! AJ and Petitte are hot and cold. If Phil Hughes can be consistently good and Mariano doesn't collapse, your bullpen might be okay. But trust me when I say that Verlander is a tough customer should you face Detroit in the first round. He has good stuff.
  • Options

Only kidding. Good hitter, not a great defensemen, but reasonably okay on defense. I know he's made some highlight reel plays in the past, but he's no Ozzie Smith.

Tex has to come down at some point. I thought the Angels would dominate last year with him and that lineup and we all know how that went. C.C. has been surprisingly....well, not good because he is good, but surprisingly healthy! AJ and Petitte are hot and cold. If Phil Hughes can be consistently good and Mariano doesn't collapse, your bullpen might be okay. But trust me when I say that Verlander is a tough customer should you face Detroit in the first round. He has good stuff.

You clearly watch the Yankees about as much as I watch the Red Sox.

1. Jeter's defense is greatly improved this year. Will it continue to get better? Probably not, but he is better than he has been in years.

2. Why does Tex have to come down with the lineup around him? He is going to get pitches especially with ARod heating up. I would like to see a little higher average and OBP but his HR and RBI numbers are outstanding. I actually think he can get better.

2. CC has been very good. He is a 8-1 in his last 9 starts with a 2.81 ERA averging over 7 innings a start. Why is it a suprise that CC is healthy? He has never had any real injury

3. Pettitte is healthy and is 7-1 in his last 8 starts with a 2.77 ERA. He has been much better overall this year. Sure he has had some rough outings but he is 37 years old. He has been much better than expected coming into the season.

4. You are right about AJ. He has been extremely erratic. When he is on he is great and when he is off he is awful.

5. The bullpen has been solid since the beginning of the year (when nothing was good). Did you happen to notice the Rays didn't manage 1 hit after the 1st out of last nights game? Hughes has been outstanding, Marte is back and looking pretty good, hopefully Bruney can get his shit together, Coke has been pretty good, Aceves has been great, hopefully Robertson is not injured. In addition, ff the Yanks have the best record in the AL they will be able to pick their series which means there is a good chance Joba heads to the pen for the playoffs

6. Verlander has great stuff and it will surely be tough but that is the nature of the playoffs. CC will be pretty damn tough on the Yanks side as well

91 wins and counting. My only worry is that the Yanks are too hot too early but the way this team plays everyday I don't see them cooling down or getting ahead of themselves. They do need to make a statement against the Angels coming up.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

1. Jeter's defense is greatly improved this year. Will it continue to get better? Probably not, but he is better than he has been in years.

2. Why does Tex have to come down with the lineup around him? He is going to get pitches especially with ARod heating up. I would like to see a little higher average and OBP but his HR and RBI numbers are outstanding. I actually think he can get better.

2. CC has been very good. He is a 8-1 in his last 9 starts with a 2.81 ERA averging over 7 innings a start. Why is it a suprise that CC is healthy? He has never had any real injury

3. Pettitte is healthy and is 7-1 in his last 8 starts with a 2.77 ERA. He has been much better overall this year. Sure he has had some rough outings but he is 37 years old. He has been much better than expected coming into the season.

4. You are right about AJ. He has been extremely erratic. When he is on he is great and when he is off he is awful.

5. The bullpen has been solid since the beginning of the year (when nothing was good). Did you happen to notice the Rays didn't manage 1 hit after the 1st out of last nights game? Hughes has been outstanding, Marte is back and looking pretty good, hopefully Bruney can get his shit together, Coke has been pretty good, Aceves has been great, hopefully Robertson is not injured. In addition, ff the Yanks have the best record in the AL they will be able to pick their series which means there is a good chance Joba heads to the pen for the playoffs

6. Verlander has great stuff and it will surely be tough but that is the nature of the playoffs. CC will be pretty damn tough on the Yanks side as well

91 wins and counting. My only worry is that the Yanks are too hot too early but the way this team plays everyday I don't see them cooling down or getting ahead of themselves. They do need to make a statement against the Angels coming up.

I don't think Jeter has "top-10 range" on defense, which makes him good but not great. I understand he's getting older, but I wouldn't put him in the upper echelon of the best defensive SS's in the game.

All the Yankee supporters conceded that CC showed up big to camp and he's had past problems with the Indians including abdominal pulls and such. He's a big guy and goes the distance most games, which I'm surprised that his only injury this year is the arm thing in June.

Tex is playing out of his mind. And I'm pissed he didn't come to the Sox! Damn Bor--ass. But the playoffs are a whole different game. He legitimately could win MVP--no doubt. But, like A-rod--he has to perform that well in the playoffs and not drop off substantially. I think he'll have some clutch hits with Detroit, yes, but let's see how long it lasts.

Like I said AJ and Andy are hot and cold. Just like Beckett lately. You never know what you'll get out of them. Andy has been great lately, but can he go the distance in a cold October at 37?

The Rays are uninspired right now. They are not the same team, so I don't count last night. If the Yanks have an achilles heel, it's a deep bullpen. But you're right about Jaba and that might wind up happening.

There's just something different about the playoffs where teams rise to the occasion if they are inspired to.

And for the record, I'm voting for Texas' manager for manager of the year. Texas is the new Tampa Bay.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

1 - Jeter's defense was never that bad to begin with despite what some of the newer stats say. One reason is the new infield coach Mick Kelleher and another is Texieria, who can do what Giambi can't - make a weak throw or a tough throw on the run look good.

2 - Teixeira will probably tell you the same thing about a higher average, but the difference he made is monumental. Hard to believe one talk show host in NY said the Yankees didn't need him.

3 - CC was a great move and his off-speed stuff can be just as devastating as the fastball as seen by some of the strikeouts the other day.

4 - Pettitte wasn't healthy at all last summer as he pitched with a bad shoulder. It's nice to see. It seems like after they missed the playoffs and three guys were hurt or needed offseason surgery, the four members of the old guard have come back on a mission.

5 - I honestly don't know what to make of AJ, but if I can spot when he's going to throw off-speed stuff based on his release point, that could be a problem.

6 - The bullpen was awful at first but has definitely stablized. Yankee relievers have won a team-record 14 straight decisions and the most impressive thing about Hughes is how he recovers mentally from losing a lead for the first time as a reliever. I'm sure he learned that from Rivera.

7 - I don't think they're peaking too early. It's better to be rolling at 41 games over than tiring yourself out just trying to make the playoffs.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    I don't think Jeter has "top-10 range" on defense, which makes him good but not great. I understand he's getting older, but I wouldn't put him in the upper echelon of the best defensive SS's in the game.

All the Yankee supporters conceded that CC showed up big to camp and he's had past problems with the Indians including abdominal pulls and such. He's a big guy and goes the distance most games, which I'm surprised that his only injury this year is the arm thing in June.

Tex is playing out of his mind. And I'm pissed he didn't come to the Sox! Damn Bor--ass. But the playoffs are a whole different game. He legitimately could win MVP--no doubt. But, like A-rod--he has to perform that well in the playoffs and not drop off substantially. I think he'll have some clutch hits with Detroit, yes, but let's see how long it lasts.

Like I said AJ and Andy are hot and cold. Just like Beckett lately. You never know what you'll get out of them. Andy has been great lately, but can he go the distance in a cold October at 37?

The Rays are uninspired right now. They are not the same team, so I don't count last night. If the Yanks have an achilles heel, it's a deep bullpen. But you're right about Jaba and that might wind up happening.

There's just something different about the playoffs where teams rise to the occasion if they are inspired to.

And for the record, I'm voting for Texas' manager for manager of the year. Texas is the new Tampa Bay.

Agreed, the playoffs are a whole different animal but I do feel this team is built differently than previous years. They have an attitude and come to play every day (except last sunday haha).

To be honest, at this point I want Andy on the hill before AJ. AJ was great in his last outing so hopefully he can get started on one of his hot streaks but Andy has been more consistent all year.

I kind of agree with you on the CC thing. My point is just that he has never had an albow or shoulder problem so I am not real worried.

Beckett has been pretty shaky recently. He has been giving up a lot of HR's.

I agree they dont have an extremely deep bullpen, although Aceves has been a great long man, but the back end does make me a little nervous at times but they have been really solid recently and getting better.

Ron Washington has done a hell of a job this year with the Rangers.
  • Options
    This team more so then any in a long time just has a feel about it. Probably has something to do with the come back wins and as the poster above mentioned what Cone said about how they outlast teams.

They play like a team and seem to have good chemistry. I know that can be overated, but I have more faith in this team then i've had in a while.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Congrats Jeter.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    Congrats Jeter.

what's up w/AJ?
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    Congrats Jeter.

what's up w/AJ?

I dunno. Ask him.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    Congrats Jeter.

what's up w/AJ?

I dunno. Ask him.

didn't know if there's a legit injury or not.