Immigration

Comments

• onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    well you know sydney's still here and the rest of australia isn't too bad either.

if i can bring my buffalo i may see ya mate.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    if i can bring my buffalo i may see ya mate.

sorry, they'll have to go into quarantine for a while.

the state of victoria has some nice grazing land.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • melodious wrote:
    exploitation of humans; ie blackmail by americans, no???? my question is do you mention that word, Ins?

great points for thought...

:) Yes, I’m guilty of mentioning the acronym INS…but only to close friends who would know the context and intent…In this particular case a standard retort would be “I think I’ll remind Sandy it’s about time for random drug testing again”…Talk about exploitation.

On a larger scale yeah exploitation is an inherent problem with no absolute resolutions I can see. I tend to apply these issues to first hand experience, probably a bad habit.
  • taratara Posts: 293
    all americans are immigrants

i second that, i wouldn't be in this country (canada), were it closed to immigration, and noone else that i know would either. on my dad's side, we've been here for 6-8 generations, on my mom's side i'm the first gen born here. should i now turn around and tell others that they can't enjoy the priviledges that i have gained so much from?

and you're damn straight that most immigrants come from third world countries, why would someone from france or italy want to immigrate, they're doing just fine. ppl generally don't leave their country because they're comfortable, they leave because there is war, famine, opression, or they can't support their families.

if you disagree with immigration, maybe we should put you on a plane to the congo, and see what you think after you get back.
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
    Amen. Americans first.

please define for me what an american is? is it someone born on american soil? someone who's parents were born in america? how far back do you have to go to be an american? perhaps only native-americans are truely american? or maybe not, because thousands of years ago they came across from russia.
    Albert Einstein
    Trust me, I would.

The french can take their damn plaque back.

I don't want huddled masses...or poor or hungry. I want educated people who are willing to work and bust their ass and not steal my tax dollars.

obviously you come from a rich family who have never encountered any struggle. how nice it must be to be you
    Albert Einstein
  • dkst0426dkst0426 Posts: 523
    :) Yes, I’m guilty of mentioning the acronym INS…but only to close friends who would know the context and intent…

INS doesn't exist anymore.
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    What's the immigration situation in Australia? It's a similar type of country to America: who immigrates there and how many are allowed in?

Our immigration situation seems very much stuck back in the "white Australia" policy at the moment. And our Prime Minister and the current government has been appallingly bad at making good decisions when it comes to immigration and asylum seekers and border protection and general human rights. What am I saying? Our current government has it's head so far up the arse of the American President for such a long time that it can't smell the gumtrees for the bullshit. :D But I can guarantee CW that what ever your policy on immigration is ours is probably very similar. Johnny never had an original thought in his life and he's followed George blindly for years.
    Didn't you know that they are plotting to make Australia the 51st state? And are proving to be very organized at it too!;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Our immigration situation seems very much stuck back in the "white Australia" policy at the moment. And our Prime Minister and the current government has been appallingly bad at making good decisions when it comes to immigration and asylum seekers and border protection and general human rights. What am I saying? Our current government has it's head so far up the arse of the American President for such a long time that it can't smell the gumtrees for the bullshit. :D But I can guarantee CW that what ever your policy on immigration is ours is probably very similar. Johnny never had an original thought in his life and he's followed George blindly for years.
    Didn't you know that they are plotting to make Australia the 51st state? And are proving to be very organized at it too!;)

as much as the cons(and especially those in power at the moment) would love for us to
    be integrated into the United States of Hypocrisy, washington views Australia as nothing more than a lapdog. we don't count but we like to think we do. it's embarassing to be respresented by such a government. just yesterday our fearless leader said he wouldn't have any problem living next door to a nuclear power plant. as if any of us are stupid enough to believe him. waht a jerk.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    as much as the cons(and especially those in power at the moment) would love for us to
    be integrated into the United States of Hypocrisy, washington views Australia as nothing more than a lapdog. we don't count but we like to think we do. it's embarassing to be respresented by such a government. just yesterday our fearless leader said he wouldn't have any problem living next door to a nuclear power plant. as if any of us are stupid enough to believe him. waht a jerk.

Oh I know Johnny will never be taken seriously by the George & the American government, they only want the control not the hassles. But I doubt very much if they said "Here Johnny!" and clapped their hands that he'd be able to resist signing us up. George seems happy enough patting him on the head and throwing him the odd bone for now, but god (***insert whatever religious icon you like here. Or not!****) help us all if he decides to start throwing premium steak around. Johnny would have his head in the bowl so fast if you blinked you'd miss it. And cate I say YEP let's move Johnny offshore and build the power plant in his backyard. It'd get rid of both of them very tidily!;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    no we don't want to be building power plants in other people's backyards. perhaps we could build it in malcolm turnball's compound.

that's it johnny, come on. come on. that's a good boy. who's a good boy? roll over. roll over. that's it. good boy. good boy. now sell your country's soul. that's a good boy johnny. * throws johnny a bone and rubs his head*
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    no we don't want to be building power plants in other people's backyards. perhaps we could build it in malcolm turnball's compound.
    Oh I agree cate, why they can't just leave in the ground I'll never know! But.....Malcolm Turnball's compound?...............hhmmmm.......now that's not a bad idea!:D

that's it johnny, come on. come on. that's a good boy. who's a good boy? roll over. roll over. that's it. good boy. good boy. now sell your country's soul. that's a good boy johnny. * throws johnny a bone and rubs his head*

:D:D:D:D:D LMAO!!!:D:D:D:D:D This is too funny! But scarily so! Not a fighter myself, but I say you wanna try it Johnny? I've faced off against pit bulls before and I'll do it again if I have to. Bring it on!!! At some point (and granted they're a bit slow at the moment) the population of this country will send that man off to the dog house where he belongs! I doubt very much if he ever did decide to try to sign us up as the 51st that Aussies would sit on their hands! It's the packaging it up nicely in little parcels and tracts here and there that seems to keep slipping past everyone while they sit glued to the cricket. Or are busy defending our rights against the IR laws? Johnny is a master at subtefuge!
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    sorry, they'll have to go into quarantine for a while.

the state of victoria has some nice grazing land.

Yeah, that's all burnt or dry and waiting to burn at the moment. Hand feeding is all the rage here at the moment. Not much different to Winter snowtime in Arizona.............or so I've heard!;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Yeah, that's all burnt or dry and waiting to burn at the moment. Hand feeding is all the rage here at the moment. Not much different to Winter snowtime in Arizona.............or so I've heard!;)

just the thought of buffalo roaming around victoria is amusing to me.

*runs off to watch dances with wolves*
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    *runs off to watch dances with wolves*

**finds Jeanie already on the couch!**;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    **finds Jeanie already on the couch!**;)

***move over girl*** :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jeanie wrote:

Nah, I'm thinking about moving to Australia when Mexico takes over the United States.

Seriously.
    All I know is that to see, and not to speak, would be the great betrayal.
    -Enoch Powell
    Nah, I'm thinking about moving to Australia when Mexico takes over the United States.

Seriously.

Well we're still "The Lucky Country" despite all attempts to change it!;)
    You'll probably love it! Welcome!:D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    ***move over girl*** :D

***Ok, how's that? Now pass the popcorn! Sshhh....it's starting!***:D:D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    ***Ok, how's that? Now pass the popcorn! Sshhh....it's starting!***:D:D

ooo kevin costner's bare butt. hehehe :D

that's air popped popcorn, right?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Jeanie wrote:
    Well we're still "The Lucky Country" despite all attempts to change it!;)
    You'll probably love it! Welcome!:D

so long as you're white, you're welcome.
    if you're from a war torn country you must prove your life is at risk or we will just ship you off to some island made of bird poop for 'processing'.

and hey jeanie what do you mean probably love it? what's not to love? ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    so long as you're white, you're welcome.
    if you're from a war torn country you must prove your life is at risk or we will just ship you off to some island made of bird poop for 'processing'.

and hey jeanie what do you mean probably love it? what's not to love? ;)

Well OBVIOUSLY I LOVE IT!!! But I'm still having to wait out the current government and hoping that we can recover from it with our "Lucky" status intact! And I guess I used probably because I know nothing bout Corporate Whore so I think she should love it but there's no accounting for taste!:)

And I'm sure she'll get "safe passage" she is an American after all!;) I mean ............sorry cate......LMAO now...........just the thought of some poor American ending up on Nauru!!! :D:D:D:D YEAH RIGHT!!! AS IF!!!!:D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    ooo kevin costner's bare butt. hehehe :D

that's air popped popcorn, right?

Yeah nice they caught that on film at the right time! Not really wanting to see it now!:D:D:D:D AND OF COURSE IT'S AIR POPPED!!! Is there any other kind?;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • America is the greatest country on the planet....depending on your definition of greatest. People will continue to migrate here regardless...And with damn good reason.

I believe the best we can do at this point is paddle with the rip current and embrace them as consumers and laborers...

Anyways I was doing some snowboarding yesterday at Snowbird, Utah and during my lunch break I was served a beer by this kiwi chick...I said hey are you one of the lucky ones who get to migrate back and fourth from southern and northern hemispheres to continually keep riding year round? because I know several who do...
    She responded with a hell no...I'm staying here until they kick me out. She said she had been here two years. 18 months past her visa... My ex-roommate from new zealand did the same thing. If you ever absolutely wanted to make him by beer you could just whisper the words INS...and you were drinking all night on his dime. Although I never played that card unless I was really thirsty.

Just a couple cases in point that people want to be here and will break laws or climb walls to do so...I say take advantage of the current where possible...

I've never being to the U.S although I have visited New Zealand and I thought it was a great place to visit and live. If I was a kiwi I wouldn't be so desperate not to go back that I would risk being deported but she must be having a great time there in Utah.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • The Australian immigration issue is a bit of a tough one. I don't agree at all with what the federal government is doing, shipping would-be immigrants to Nauru for offshore processing. They also deny Temp Protection Visa holders access to welfare or work rights, so they are completely dependent on charity. However there has to be some sort of system in place, and we can't accept anyone who wishes to come here. It is also highly dangerous to encourage illegal immigration as people do die often as Australia found out not too long ago.
    The wind is blowing cold

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
    ........I don't agree at all with what the federal government is doing, shipping would-be immigrants to Nauru for offshore processing. They also deny Temp Protection Visa holders access to welfare or work rights, so they are completely dependent on charity. However there has to be some sort of system in place...........................

Sending anyone to Nauru is an absolute travesty and the government is dreaming if they think it's a permanant solution. Particularly considering that Nauru, along with so many pacific nations, are taking on water and going under. Wonder what Johhny will do then? They might even end up in dodgy little boats trying desperately to find land. Wonder where that'll be? As to the TPV holders not being able to work or access services, I find this inexcusable, particularly given the length of time it takes the bureaucrats to process their applications. I've always wondered, if we are screaming for people to do fruit picking and other jobs, why can't they organize for these kind of jobs to be done by people waiting to be processed? We really are a disgrace when it comes to this. And I find it a constant personal shame to me to call myself Aussie in this situation.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    are we forgetting that entering this country is illegal and thus these illegals are CRIMINALS? so yes; lets put law abiding citizens above criminals.

That didn't answer my question really.....
  • Jeanie wrote:
    Sending anyone to Nauru is an absolute travesty and the government is dreaming if they think it's a permanant solution. Particularly considering that Nauru, along with so many pacific nations, are taking on water and going under. Wonder what Johhny will do then? They might even end up in dodgy little boats trying desperately to find land. Wonder where that'll be? As to the TPV holders not being able to work or access services, I find this inexcusable, particularly given the length of time it takes the bueracrats to process their applications. I've always wondered, if we are screaming for people to do fruit picking and other jobs, why can't they organize for these kind of jobs to be done by people waiting to be processed? We really are a disgrace when it comes to this. And I find it a constant personal shame to me to call myself Aussie in this situation.

It is a farcial situation when Christmas Island is considering outside Australia's immigration zone and illegal immigrants are sent to New Zealand and Nauru for processing. As for TPV holders not being able to support themselves that is a disgrace. If they are given any sort of visa they should have some means of support. Perhaps not welfare but they should be allowed to work.

On the other side of the coin illegal immigration is not a trade that should be encouraged by the Australian government. I don't have figures but I'm sure many, many people die on leaky boats trying to get to countries like Australia every year. Australia simply can't let everyone who wants to live here come, particulary if they don't have papers. Our isolation protects our way of life, just look at England for example what happens when the movement of people is not policed properly.

Petro Georgiou from the federal government is someone who's stand I respect on the issue.
    The wind is blowing cold

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Mexico is brutal to illegal immigrants in their country. They want to maintain their ethnic composition.

"Brutal" does not mean getting shot and he said any other country, so it was a bullshit statement.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
    It is a farcial situation when Christmas Island is considering outside Australia's immigration zone and illegal immigrants are sent to New Zealand and Nauru for processing. As for TPV holders not being able to support themselves that is a disgrace. If they are given any sort of visa they should have some means of support. Perhaps not welfare but they should be allowed to work.
    I agree with you. Wasn't Christmas Island recently re mapped as an exlusion zone motivated by the government wanting to stop the boats from getting onto "Australian soil"? It has only happended recently. Since Tampa, I think? As to TPV holders I agree. That's why I think that there are many jobs that are going for the begging here that would be suitable for TPV holders. They require no qualification and are simple to do. This would give people the opportunity to care for themselves and their families while they wait for their application to be approved or denied. We should also enable them to access health care and education. The government wouldn't have to pay for it if they worked out a tax system or payment system for those people working while they wait. It really is a simple concept and much more reasonable than the current system. And it would benefit the TPV's and Australia by providing the workers that we need.
    On the other side of the coin illegal immigration is not a trade that should be encouraged by the Australian government. I don't have figures but I'm sure many, many people die on leaky boats trying to get to countries like Australia every year. Australia simply can't let everyone who wants to live here come, particulary if they don't have papers. Our isolation protects our way of life, just look at England for example what happens when the movement of people is not policed properly.

Petro Georgiou from the federal government is someone who's stand I respect on the issue.

Yeah, sort of agree with you here ASL. Except that if you are an asylum seeker who has had to flee your country due to persecution you would be desperate enough to pay anything and do anything to ensure the safety & survival of your family. "6 months in a leaky boat" can't be much fun, so how much worse for them if they stayed? Many of them sell everything and leave with only the clothes on their backs. And I'm sure that their "papers" are taken by pirates or other undesirables out for a quick buck or not even thought about in the furtid dash. The business of people trafficking is a very, very lucrative one and fraught with vile people hoping to benefit from desperation and human suffering. If the Australian government was really fair dinkum about stopping the boats they'd stop blaming the poor sods that get on them and take the fight to where it really belongs. With the Indonesian Government. But Johnny won't do that because he's gutless. It is not beyond our government to fix these problems and ensure the safety of our borders. They simply choose not to.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift