Options

i pity the godless....

Comments

• Options
    newagehippienewagehippie Posts: 749
    i wanna know how he got all the bug and bacteria species.

a big petri dish.......
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Keep your eyes open, eventually something will happen....
  • Options
    a big petri dish.......
    cross contamination!

Is noah the reason we don't have leprechauns anymore?

They didn't follow christ i guess... i mean they were heavy drinkers.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    To liven things up, what was this 'god's' design for the majority of the worlds population who either a) believe in naother god, or 2) none at all?

Are the Chinese, Indian, Moslem, Sikh, Buddhists, Satanists et al, all doomed, or merely mistaken?

What Im asking is, are the majority wrong?
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I wanna know how Noah kept the salt water species seperated from the fresh water species......;)

thats the kinda shit i'm talking about KC... its all dumb questions about dumb things men wrote down dumbtime in history...

didnt the lions chase the fucking gazelles and stuff... it'd be chaos... i mean who collected the tarantulas or big scorpions!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    danmac wrote:
    To liven things up, what was this 'god's' design for the majority of the worlds population who either a) believe in naother god, or 2) none at all?

Are the Chinese, Indian, Moslem, Sikh, Buddhists, Satanists et al, all doomed, or merely mistaken?

What Im asking is, are the majority wrong?
    No, the Buddhists are right.

That's not a religion. That's the first place they're right.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    cross contamination!

Is noah the reason we don't have leprechauns anymore?

They didn't follow christ i guess... i mean they were heavy drinkers.

There are leprechauns....

search for it on ebaums world....or you tube.....the've been sited by an entire community....!!!! :eek:
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

• Options
    There are leprechauns....

search for it on ebaums world....or you tube.....the've been sited by an entire community....!!!! :eek:
    You shouldn't make fun of the Irish like that, it's not their fault they're short.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,038
    ...i believe what you see is what you get, specifically.

on a related note, i think it's pretty arrogant for anyone to say what they believe is fact. like the thread starter here "pitying" us poor atheists...smacks of hubris.

I agree that condescension is the "sin" in this thread.

You say:"i believe what you see is what you get, specifically."

You are saying that what we "get" is dependant on what we see!. What we "get" would therefore be a product of our own inner filters and the degree to which we can "see". As we grow and expand and learn to cleanse our filters, we will see more and more, correct?

I'm thrilled to SEE in my personal experience a sense of heaven on earth. I'm thrilled to use my eyes to lead me to create beautifully, responsibly, and aligned with natural life forces of life. It is so amazing to ENVISION and subsequently live a karma free existence by operating within an ethical standard that respects others as I wish to be respected. It's amazing to use my VISION, my inSIGHT and foreSIGHT to create all kinds of circumstances in my life that are about channeling my higher ideals into achievement and personally fulfilling accomplishment. It's amazing to paint my life with the vibrant colours of meaning, which allow the transcendant nature of Love to flow through me! I love to SEE the power of forgiveness in freeing myself from past hurts. I love to VIEW the unity of all life and all experiences, I'm thrilled to be able to use my IMAGE-MAKING facilities to IMAGINE my connection with others and to experience diversity and the myriad glory of life reflecting around me in each moment. Thank God, for the power of vision in creating what I "Get"!
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    thats the kinda shit i'm talking about KC... its all dumb questions about dumb things men wrote down dumbtime in history...

didnt the lions chase the fucking gazelles and stuff... it'd be chaos... i mean who collected the tarantulas or big scorpions!!

who's KC??

I think the lions and gazelles had signed a treaty and formed an aliance against the tigers and cheetahs....
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

• Options
    You shouldn't make fun of the Irish like that, it's not their fault they're short.

I love the Irish.....you've mistaken me.....:D
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

• Options
    who's KC??

I think the lions and gazelles had signed a treaty and formed an aliance against the tigers and cheetahs....
    Guess who won that battle? (who lives in the jungle now BITCH?).

"Make our day"
  • Options
    ok, well if you see god, please snap a photo for us, ok?

you are projecting god onto what you see. that's fine. whatever floats yer boat.

Okay, lets go back to what you said: "i believe what you see is what you get, specifically."

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I respect exactly what you see, and I recognise that you are projecting that onto reality.

Do you recognise that for yourself--that you do the same? Do you realise that your perceptions, too, create what you see as real? Or do you merely project that onto me?
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

• Options
    ok, well if you see god, please snap a photo for us, ok?

you are projecting god onto what you see. that's fine. whatever floats yer boat.

http://www.jeeeb.us/

;)
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

• Options
    danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    i realize you're confusing the fuck out of me right now. look, i'm not projecting anything onto reality...i'm accepting reality for what it is. at face value. i'm not examining who or what created the reality i see. i've gone through that examination, the search for the truth, and i've come to the conclusion that there is no creator. call me a follower of science, whatever, i just don't feel that there is a god. when you die yer dead. that sort of thing. now, if you want to believe, and you actually feel the spirit, more power to you. but if you are actually seeing god out there, may i suggest some medication?

What he/she said. Pure common sense, simple common sense.
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options

"Make our day"
  • Options
    i realize you're confusing the fuck out of me right now.
    I acknowledge that you are feeling confused.
    look, i'm not projecting anything onto reality...i'm accepting reality for what it is. at face value.
    If you are truly accepting reality at face value, does that mean you are factoring in your inner brain filters that interpret the reality you see?

If you notice that I am "projecting", and yet you don't own that your own impressions and interpretations are also "projecting" as per your own inner filters, there is a fundamental difference between your view and my view.

In my view, I am conscious of my own projections onto reality. It sounds like in your view, you are unconscious of your projections onto reality.

• Options
    ok, what exactly are these filter, are they different from your filter, and how do i have control over these filters?

if i look at a blank sheet of white copier paper, and you look at that same sheet of paper, are we seeing two different things? huh?
    You (representing atheists) have a filter over the possibility that others see of things/realms/dimensions/whatever existing beyond our world. Call it whatever you will.

Her filter (representing religious folk) is filtering out anything that doesn't agree with their sense of "religion" or "spirituality", which is why we have so many religious wars.. it's not important that someone has a belief, it's important that everyone have your beliefs.

I'm not trying to back you into one of those "pushing your beliefs on me" corners, but in a nutshell that's the way things generally are.

jesus christ.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    fyi...i don't represent shit. i represent myself.

jesus harold christ on a rivercrutch
    in the argument that's who you're representing...

:rolleyes:

"Make our day"
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
    sourdough wrote:
    I used to be very, very pious, almost fanatical at times I think and my best friends are people who I met through church. No I don't believe in God anymore, and I think for a variety of reasons. I think I began to realise that the church was playing on mostly emotional appeals and found it to be a bit manipulative to the point where I began to question what was real and was was merely emotional manipulation to convince me that I was filled with the "spirit".

Secondly as I got older I started to question things like the rationality and accuracy of the bible. I also learned much more about science and the more I learned at school, the more things made sense to me. I wasn't necessarily abandoning God at this point, but I found I had no answers from the bible or from the church, except I had to have faith, but nothing was given to ground me in it.

I really wish I could believe in a God, but I can't and won't just so I can deceive myself in believing something I really don't. this probably doesn't make much sense to you, but it does to me. I guess I'm a skeptic and science provides me with more answers than God.
    I really appreciate this post. It's a lot like I've been feeling and makes a lot of sense to me.
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
    sourdough wrote:
    Honestly, I wish that God would disappear from everybody's consciousness and reliance. It would make the world a much simpler place I think, however that said, I have a lot of respect for the church. I cringe at the thought of what would happen if overnight the church would disappear. The church picks up the bulk of charitable drives, soup kitchens, and society needs the church right now if the gov't or atheists won't pick up the slack.

I think one thing that bugged me was that even if I were to accept Jesus as son of God, I think of him as vengeful like the God of the Old Testament, and I'm not cool with that. Although his message was love, and that he loved all of us, I can't imagine why he would still send us to eternal hell if we didn't believe even if we were good humans.
    Great post, and I agree. I personally have no ill feelings toward any church because they do amazing things for communities. That, however, doesn't make them true.

One thing I've struggled with is the atonement. I've been taught that in order for God to be merciful and just, someone would have to pay for our sins, hence the atonement. Maybe someone should ask Jesus if God is just because that seems like a terrible injustice to me. And if God is all-powerful then why couldn't he just forgive the repentant? Why would he have to seek blood for sins? I've always struggled with the idea of a loving but seemingly vengeful God. The two characteristics seem quite contrary to me.
  • Options
    ok, what exactly are these filter, are they different from your filter, and how do i have control over these filters?

if i look at a blank sheet of white copier paper, and you look at that same sheet of paper, are we seeing two different things? huh?

Our filters have developed through our own inner personal experiences. Your idea of an attractive mate is probably quite different than my idea of an attractive mate, right on down to small details.

Your idea of your highest ideals or the deepest meanings to life may be different than my idea of the highest ideas/deepest meanings to life.

Your idea of the worst thing known to humankind might be entirely different than my idea of the worst thing known to humankind.

We absolutely have control over our filters ultimately, if we are open to grow, learn, expand and understand to deeper degrees that which we are faced with in our lives. If we choose to defend being "right" and if we avoid learning to understand others and their views we will not come to understand our own filters consciously. If we outrightly discard different human perspectives and stunt appreciation of unified human experience at it's base, we will ultimately experience our growth unconsciously, meaning beyond our awareness and control. We will live with a sense of being out of control of the circumstances of our lives.

• Options
    I wanna know how Noah kept the salt water species seperated from the fresh water species......;)

Hah!! Now that is a damn fine question.
  • Options
    I'd like to share a fun (and as much as it might not seem like it, true) story about what happened to two of my friends yesterday...

They were in a Wendy's parking lot just hanging out for a minute (out of the car) when a van passed by them with South Carolina liscense plates (we're in North Carolina, so it's not farfetched to see this). Also, it's one of those church vans.. the kind of thing that drives little kids in church day camps to field trips. Suddenly the van slams on breaks and wheels around to park next to them.

Two kids come out of the van to talk to my friends... Among other things they ask them "Where do you think you're going when you die?"

My friend quickly and bluntly says "Hell.", and his girlfriend follows, just as quickly, "on a highway".

Very freaked out the kids retreat to the van, prompting a bible toating south carolinian to get out of the driver's seat and proceed to yell at my friends.

Of course they just laughed and drove away.

No point, just thought it was a funny story :)

"Make our day"
  • Options

Her filter (representing religious folk) is filtering out anything that doesn't agree with their sense of "religion" or "spirituality", which is why we have so many religious wars.. it's not important that someone has a belief, it's important that everyone have your beliefs.
    Yikes. It looks like your filter is seeing your view and not so much mine.

• Options
    Interesting article

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&program=CSC%20-%20Views%20and%20News&id=2361

AIM Report: Former Atheist Says God Exists

By: Cliff Kinkaid
    Insight On The News
    December 21, 2004

It didn't make news, on the front or back pages of leading American newspapers, but Professor Antony Flew, a prominent British philosopher who is considered the world's best-known atheist, has cited advancements in science as proof of the existence of God. This is comparable to Hugh Hefner announcing that he is becoming a celibate.

At a symposium sponsored by the Institute for Metascientific Research, Flew said he has come to believe in God based on developments in DNA research. Flew, author of the book, Darwinian Evolution, declared, "What I think the DNA material has done is show that intelligence must have been involved in getting these extraordinarily diverse elements together. The enormous complexity by which the results were achieved look to me like the work of intelligence."

Associated Press distributed a December 9 story by religion writer Richard N. Ostling about Flew's conversion. Flew told AP that his current ideas had some similarity with those of U.S. "intelligent design" theorists, who believe the complexity of life points to an intelligent source of life, rather than the random and natural processes posited by Charles Darwin's theory of evolution.

Flew's statements have been covered in Britain, where he is a professor, but we found nothing about his transformation in major American newspapers such as USA Today, the Washington Post, and the New York Times. Ostling's status as a religion writer may help explain why. The secular press considers this a religion story.

To its credit, however, the Seattle Times permitted Jonathan Witt of the Discovery Institute to write a column noting Flew's conversion in the context of discussing the usually taboo subject of the holes in Darwinian theory.

Witt noted that Darwin and his contemporaries thought a single cell was a simple blob of protoplasm and that it wouldn't have been difficult for nature to randomly produce something so simple. "In those days the cell was a black box, a mystery. But in the 20th century, scientists were able to open that black box and peek inside," he notes. "There they found not a simple blob, but a world of complex circuits, miniaturized motors and digital code. We now know that even the simplest functional cell is almost unfathomably complex, containing at least 250 genes and their corresponding proteins."

"Darwin's Black Box" is the title of Michael J. Behe's 1996 book. Behe, a professor of biochemistry at Lehigh University, emphasizes the complexity of molecular systems such as the bacterial flagellum. Identified by electron microscopes, it is what Behe calls an "irreducibly complex system" that is necessarily composed of at least three parts¯a paddle, a rotor, and a motor. He argues that Darwinian theory cannot account for it.

But those who believe in intelligent design or find gaping holes in the theory of evolution frequently encounter a hostile press. The Discovery Institute recently provided to Accuracy in Media a thick file of complaints about the way their representatives have been treated by the media, especially National Public Radio. The Discovery Institute focuses on the issue of whether there is any evidence of design in nature, rather than whether there is a designer. Still, its representatives tend to be portrayed in religious terms by the media.

Such a tactic is common operating procedure by the ACLU, which is determined to portray any alternative to evolution as religious and therefore not allowed to be taught or even discussed in the public schools.

Back in 2001, when the Public Broadcasting Service aired the seven-part series, Evolution, financed by Microsoft co-founder and billionaire Paul G. Allen, it asked Discovery Institute scientists to appear on the last segment dealing with God and religion. It was a trick. The institute rejected this ploy, saying that its representatives had scientific objections to evolution and that they should be included in the scientific episodes.

PBS went ahead with its one-sided program anyway. In response, the Discovery Institute produced a 152-page viewers guide, noting that the series distorts the scientific evidence, ignores scientific disagreements over Darwin's theory, and misrepresents the theory's critics. Because the PBS series is still being marketed to high schools around the country, the Discovery Institute critique continues to be helpful and relevant. You can find it at: http://www.reviewevolution.com

PBS and the rest of the media would be well-advised to follow the lead of Antony Flew, who said that his life has been guided by the principle of Plato's Socrates: "Follow the evidence, wherever it leads." Journalists can begin their investigation of the Socratic principle by simply reporting the facts surrounding Flew's amazing evolution and the implications that his statements have for a questionable theory that continues to be taught as the Gospel in the public schools.

Cliff Kincaid is Editor of the AIM Report.
    Perhaps someday I'll crawl home, beaten, defeated. But not as long as I can make stories out of my heartbreak, beauty out of sorrow.

-Sylvia Plath
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    Yikes. It looks like your filter is seeing your view and not so much mine.
    i see your view, i was answering that from his view (and about his filter, from yours).

You both need to chill out and realize that not everyone is gonna understand what you believe.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    danmac wrote:
    God does not exist. I have neither seen nor heard anything to counteract that statement.

But you have neither seen nor heard anything to support that statement.

I have never seen nor heard anything to counteract the following statement:

"At the very core of Pluto sits a nugget of gold shaped like Elvis"

Just because I've not seen nor heard anything to counteract it doesn't make it true.
    I wasn't here a thousand years ago, ask the Normans.

I've never seen nor heard a Norman. Therefore they do not exist.
    If something existed, and somebody believed that thing to exist, then they could easily show me.

Tell me about it. I'm still waiting for proof that God cannot exist.
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,059
    I'd like to share a fun (and as much as it might not seem like it, true) story about what happened to two of my friends yesterday...

They were in a Wendy's parking lot just hanging out for a minute (out of the car) when a van passed by them with South Carolina liscense plates (we're in North Carolina, so it's not farfetched to see this). Also, it's one of those church vans.. the kind of thing that drives little kids in church day camps to field trips. Suddenly the van slams on breaks and wheels around to park next to them.

Two kids come out of the van to talk to my friends... Among other things they ask them "Where do you think you're going when you die?"

My friend quickly and bluntly says "Hell.", and his girlfriend follows, just as quickly, "on a highway".

Very freaked out the kids retreat to the van, prompting a bible toating south carolinian to get out of the driver's seat and proceed to yell at my friends.

Of course they just laughed and drove away.

No point, just thought it was a funny story :)

Those kids are going to eventually need to learn that if they are going to run around doing that, they are going to get some smart-ass answers. The adult driving sends children just to avoid that--but does not always work.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    Uncle Leo wrote:
    Those kids are going to eventually need to learn that if they are going to run around doing that, they are going to get some smart-ass answers. The adult driving sends children just to avoid that--but does not always work.
    Yeah i know. And It's kind of scary.. the first thing i thought of was Ned Flander's kids on the Simpsons. o_o

"Make our day"
  • Options
    i see your view, i was answering that from his view (and about his filter, from yours).

You both need to chill out and realize that not everyone is gonna understand what you believe.
    I'm saying that you seem to think you see my view. And then you proceeded to state a view that is not mine. Also a view that is proven inaccurate if you carefully read my posts. Regardless of your perspective or intent, it was inaccurate.
    I'll stick to recognising my own purposes, thanks. I hear your opinion, though.
    *edit: The reason I am here sharing my view is because I do realise not everyone understands what I believe.