Options

i pity the godless....

Comments

• Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    surferdude wrote:
    There is much I don't understand, and I have plenty of questions. Kinda a lot like my grasp of advanced physics. String theory or quantum physics, it's always such a tough choice as to which to believe in.

I know jack squat about physics, so I can't debate you here, but the difference is that IF I did want to become educated enought to decide for myself, there are multiple sources of information and data to look at. With religion, I only have the Bible, which the accuracy may be of doubt and the authors are long dead.
  • Options
    HoonHoon Posts: 175
    miskin wrote:
    athiests: u think ur brain power is a cause of nature? think to urselves on moment, one by one. is it possible that someone with ur complex thoughts and self awareness is just a mistake?

if you find a watch on an uninhabited island... you would say someone must have put it there. for a watch is too complex a mechanism to have just got there by chance. the watch must have had a designers, and a manufacturer, as its mechanisms are complex, and need to be exact for it to work.

think of yourself, and compare yourself with a watch. you must think you are very simple people

My "god" is nature and earth and the universe. I find science to be a perfect compliment to religion.

The only divide amongst most people is between:

1. A "god" that is human like in the sky, the listening to humans type (that I don't believe in)

2.A "god" as simply everything, amazing complexity, science

3. "god" as in the order in the chaos of peoples actions in all history, the karma god

4. Like a tear in all we know, once dissolved we are free to grow...."the psychadelic experience" raises alot of questions about reality. With DMT Many come back with an experience of not an altered state but of a different place with entities you speak to. I would not recomend it to mostly everyone, its a personal choice with risk, but this is your only life so.... Stick to mushrooms or DMT if you think you can handle it. Research first, know what your doing.

I think it may be possible to know "god" better if you are an athiest for a while. May give you a clearer picture.

I don't like the whole, "this is your religion from birth programing thing", it may work for some people but I worry how it limits your reality, experience, and enjoyment of life. But it can work for some.

You have to learn how "small" you are, but also how "big" you are. Get in touch with suffering, helps with understanding people, be hungry, fast, be hot. Clear your head of what is junk. Thats how the gorge was last weekend, like a desert purification.

See the patterns in nature that keep showing up. The structure of the: Cell, solar system, ecosystem, galaxy, atom, universe, dna. In chaos there is always order if you move closer or farther away. "Telescope out" and "microscope in" to enhance your reality. "Telescope out" and "microscope in" to enhance your reality.

The point I get to in my gaian-agnosticism is:

There is the universe. Everything seems to be inside something. What is the universe inside? How could anything exist? It seems things are created and/or come from something. How could a god then exist? What came before?

There is some sorta limitation that does involve how humans perceive reality.

p.s. Killing someone is never an answer, avoid doing this in your life. If your job requires you to do this, Please, for yourself, find another job, because your boss isn't trying hard enough to understand, and certainly does not know god.

I enjoy the questions more than the answers.
    If you keep yourself as the final arbiter you will be less susceptible to infection from cultural illusion.
  • Options
    Hoon wrote:
    My "god" is nature and earth and the universe. I find science to be a perfect compliment to religion.

1. A "god" that is human like in the sky, the listening to humans type (that I don't believe in)

3. "god" as in the order in the chaos of peoples actions in all history, the karma god

4. Like a tear in all we know, once dissolved we are free to grow...."the psychadelic experience" raises alot of questions about reality. With DMT Many come back with an experience of not an altered state but of a different place with entities you speak to. I would not recomend it to mostly everyone, its a personal choice with risk, but this is your only life so.... Stick to mushrooms or DMT if you think you can handle it. Research first, know what your doing.

I think it may be possible to know "god" better if you are an athiest for a while. May give you a clearer picture.

I don't like the whole, "this is your religion from birth programing thing", it may work for some people but I worry how it limits your reality, experience, and enjoyment of life. But it can work for some.

You have to learn how "small" you are, but also how "big" you are. Get in touch with suffering, helps with understanding people, be hungry, fast, be hot. Clear your head of what is junk. Thats how the gorge was last weekend, like a desert purification.

See the patterns in nature that keep showing up. The structure of the: Cell, solar system, ecosystem, galaxy, atom, universe, dna. In chaos there is always order if you move closer or farther away. "Telescope out" and "microscope in" to enhance your reality. "Telescope out" and "microscope in" to enhance your reality.

There is the universe. Everything seems to be inside something. What is the universe inside? How could anything exist? It seems things are created and/or come from something. How could a god then exist? What came before?

What an awesome post! :)
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    What an aweosme post! :)

Agreed. I read that post, and said to myself "This thread has been effectively ended". Simply can't argue with the man's logic. Kudos to you Hoon!

But I'll still not believe in God till I get some answers... ;)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    Hoon wrote:

Great post. In essence, I refer to the enjoying the questions more than the answers part. Some on this earth conclude they already know all the answers and are driven fast (to ignorance) in their beliefs.

I just don't see how someone can ultimately zoom off blindly on a tangent (seemingly forever) like that and continually seek and gain justification without evaluating all the conditions.

How often do we (should we) be pulling the reins back on ourselves instead? (not science)

In my line of work I call it "dust off the machine and fix the customer" :D

or...another way I look at it is to "realign the screaming shallow mind of confusion"

(insert dueling banjo's here) :P
  • Options
    Hoon wrote:

p.s. Killing someone is never an answer, avoid doing this in your life. If your job requires you to do this, Please, for yourself, find another job, because your boss isn't trying hard enough to understand, and certainly does not know god.

This is very well done.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Milestone wrote:
    Most of the peaceful non-warring civilizations on earth DIDN'T believe in "God".

(Incas, Mayans, American Indians, many African tribes, ect....)
    Where on earth did you get the idea that these groups were peaceful and non-warring and worshipped no gods?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    i'm not an atheist, i don't worship your idea of satan.

godbless.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    Something even crazier to realize is that one man's "god" (good) can be another man's "satan" (evil).
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    Hoon wrote:

Most thought provoking post I have read in weeks...actually this goes beyond posts...most thought provoking concept I have heard in weeks...thanks Hoon! :)
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,221
    miskin wrote:
    athiests: u think ur brain power is a cause of nature? think to urselves on moment, one by one. is it possible that someone with ur complex thoughts and self awareness is just a mistake?

if you find a watch on an uninhabited island... you would say someone must have put it there. for a watch is too complex a mechanism to have just got there by chance. the watch must have had a designers, and a manufacturer, as its mechanisms are complex, and need to be exact for it to work.

think of yourself, and compare yourself with a watch. you must think you are very simple people
    Ummm... I'm not an atheist, so I can't speak for them... but...
    I believe that atheists don't know there is no god... they believe there is no god.
    Just like you... you don't KNOW there is a God... you BELIEVE there is a God.
    And as for looking for the truth... I am out there looking for the truth... but, I just haven't found it. People and religion give me their truths, but their truths are relative to them. No one has been able to give me the absolute truth... just interpretations of truths as defined by specific doctrine.
    The only truth I know is that I will die... so, I'm not going to waste my time out here convincing others that I know what the absolute truth is. I will do my best to treat people with the kindness and caring that I wish they would show to me.
    In other words... I'm still out here, looking.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Most thought provoking post I have read in weeks...actually this goes beyond posts...most thought provoking concept I have heard in weeks...thanks Hoon! :)
    i expect no less than excellence from a blind melon / pearl jam fan.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    miskin wrote:

Don't pity me, and I prefer to think of myself as 'god free' rather than godless. Why do I need God?

Now I remember this 'watch on an island' metaphor for Intelligent Design from Philosophy 101... and by the time I got to 400 level classes like the "The Mystery of Consciousness" I learned to think that whatever the answer is, its not as simple as that metaphor.

Sorry if that comes across snobby, but I was a philosophy major goddammit.

I cannot conclude that everything happens by accident. I think life is a force that is more powerful than physical dimensions and random chance. I've experienced what Carl Jung called 'synchronicity' too many times to think that way. I also see no logical reason to think that there isn't something beyond what we can measure scientifically. We may not (yet) be able to quantify the metaphysical but does that mean emotions and thoughts don't exist? Brainwaves and chemical interactions may be the physical manifestation of my thoughts and emotions, but where do my emotions stem from? Where is the 'spark of life'? Some may take the religious concept of 'God' and apply it to the philosophical concept of the Intelligent Designer, but just because it appears than complex organisms and ecosystems seem to have a design, why then must we conclude that there is one 'God' behind the design?

I also cannot conclude that nothing happens by accident. I tend to think the universe is a combination of order and chaos. But of course, that's just my best guess.
  • Options
    miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    fruth wrote:
    First off, I do believe in GOD.

Secondly, what kind of Christian are you when you start a flame thread on a message board attacking others beliefs? Degrading them by calling them small minded? Dont espouse some nonesense about Jesus wanting all Christians to spread the gospel, because I am almost positive he would not approve of you viscious flame thread. It's time to practice what you preach, or shut the fuck up.

Thirdly, what makes you think that man is such a superior being? Check your ego at the door, we are not that great.
    free speech, im sharing my opinion. it is my opinion, so i will share it. secondly although ive been brought up a catholic i dont really believe in Jesus and all that other stuff. im not a very religious person at all. i just reckon there is something out there creating all this stuff.
    myspace.com/airstriponeuk
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Hoon wrote:

use sunscreen!!

great post, but i couldnt get that Baz Lurman thingy out of my head... do the funky chicken, dance, use sunscreen, etc etc
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    miskin wrote:

I sure hope that island has "gods" natural food selection on it and not GM food that will destroy itself after one year of growth, leaving me hungry and praying to the "chemical gods" for more food. Think of that next time you are buying food and make sure it hasn't been tampered with by your mortal gods here on Earth. Since we are tossing god questions around.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    We arent supposed to be able to grasp the concept of god. Much like our children really dont understand us, their minds cant at that point in life, and our minds probably will never get it right.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    We arent supposed to be able to grasp the concept of god. Much like our children really dont understand us, their minds cant at that point in life, and our minds probably will never get it right.

Speak for yourself. I grasp it just fine.
    Empty, scared people need a father figure to believe in, to justify to them the pain in their life is ok. Balanced, reasoned, well adjusted people, don't need to believe in fairy tales.

Either way, I doubt the pearls of mystery and understanding will be threatened by anything your mind has to offer.
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    I feel sorry for the Godless as well.

I also do not understand how someone can have their head buried that far in the sand...or be in that much denial.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

I also do not understand how someone can have their head buried that far in the sand...or be in that much denial.
    back at ya slick.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    ruudruud Posts: 34
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Creationism *sigh*

This is what all Intelligent Design arguers claim. Because a watch was made by man everything complex is made by something.

There is one major flaw in that train of thought. If everything under god is so complex that it must have been created by god, then that means god is the most complex thing in existence, who created god?

very well written. great point. you cannot ignore this. how about this classic line

If God is almighty, then can he create a stone that he cannot carry?...thats how it goes...get the idea dont you? thatll get you thinking for a bit wont it? and the same with what ahnumus said... where does god come from..what right do you have to say that a book caled the bible came directly down from god...how did he know what language we could speak.
    and if god sent down what he wanted to be in the bible somewhere in the middle of man's existence was he late? and if he did it so late cant he send updates? and will it by cd file since boosk will be out of fashion?...Mac or Windows?

no mockery intended folks...i still believe that there is something above us all...but you cannot ignore these things. sorry if its slightly offensive
    "If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace." John Lennon

My god its been so long, never dreamed you'd return, but now here you are, and here i am.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    just remember people, faith requires no proof.
    and believing in something doesn't necessarily make it exist.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    And dont forget, what about the dinosaurs?

What of the millions of years of history?

what of the civilisations that existed before the bible was written?
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    miskin wrote:
    if you find a watch on an uninhabited island...

how would i find the watch if the island is uninhabited :confused:

am i visiting a goat or something.... if its uninhabited then i dont live there, so.....

anyway... is it a digital or a clockwork
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    danmac wrote:

You think disproving the bible disproves the existence of God?
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    I feel sorry for the Godless as well.

Denial of what?
  • Options
    danmac wrote:

i love the varied answers to "how did Cain and Abel have children?"... so far i've had angels coming down to mate, right up to some other civilization meeting up with them, presumably at some disco or something...

to date i havent had a logical explanation, which by that i mean, one that doesnt have bible quotes pasted at me :)
  • Options
    i love the varied answers to "how did Cain and Abel have children?"... so far i've had angels coming down to mate, right up to some other civilization meeting up with them, presumably at some disco or something...

to date i havent had a logical explanation, which by that i mean, one that doesnt have bible quotes pasted at me :)

Cain and Abel were not the only children of Adam and Eve.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    miskin wrote:

it's way too early for this... my head hurts.

also, way to cop your entire argument from somebody else. that whole watch thing is a few hundred years old.

lastly, if you think you're comparable to a watch, you're the simple person ;)
  • Options
    Cain and Abel were not the only children of Adam and Eve.

did i say they were?

are you implying incest then?