Options

Let's Post Some Quotes

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,180
    "[N]o arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    “So long as the people do not care to exercise their freedom, those who wish to tyrannize will do so; for tyrants are active and ardent, and will devote themselves in the name of any number of gods, religious and otherwise, to put shackles upon sleeping men.”
    François-Marie Arouet de Voltaire

Saw this in Crazy Breed's sig.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Democracy means government by discussion, but it is only effective if you can stop people talking.

Clement Atlee

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

Arthur Schopenhauer

If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done.

Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    "When Bush took office gas was $1.46!"
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    sarah vesarah ve Posts: 43
    "The most serious parody I have ever heard was this: In the beginning was nonsense, and the nonsense was with God, and the nonsense was God." ~ Freidrich Nietzsche

"Fear is the parent of cruelty, therefore it is no wonder if religion and cruelty have gone hand-in-hand." ~ Bertrand Russell

"People call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." --- Daria

" I don't like kids. I didn't even like kids when I was a kid." ~ Daria

"Reality is an illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol." = Homer
    See you at the beach!! 6/17

~Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities~
    -Voltaire
  • Options
    Democracy means government by discussion, but it is only effective if you can stop people talking.

Clement Atlee

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

Arthur Schopenhauer

If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

LOVE those!!
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    LOVE those!!

Can't beat the Google quote of the day gimmick-thingy. :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    brooksyincbrooksyinc Posts: 16
    "Never is the question asked, is our children learning?"
    Enough! I grow weary of your sexually suggestive dancing. Bring me my ranch dressing hose!
  • Options
    "And the ultimate thing is, I may not be the expert that some people are on foreign policy, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night." --Mike Huckabee
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    "There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you cant take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you’ve got to make it stop! And you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!" - Mario Savio

there's a great video of this from the documentary 'berkeley in the 60's' which also shows when reagan sent the national guard to a peaceful anti-war protest where they surrounded the students then had helicopters fly over head dropping tear gas on them as the troops and cops started inwards beating everyone in their paths...

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/43355399/berkeley+in+the?tab=summary

mario savio was pretty passionate about it , it's a shame more ppl aren't that worked up
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
    Mark Twain

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.
    Nikita Khrushchev

What this country needs is more free speech worth listening to.
    Hansell B. Duckett

It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem.
    Malcolm Forbes
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    "I condemn the military mentality of our time...Indeed, I have been a pacifist all my life and regard Gandhi as the only truly great political figure of our age."

Albert Einstein.
  • Options
    "I start with the premise that the function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers."

"Once you don't vote your ideals... that has serious undermining affects. It erodes the moral basis of our democracy."

"Power has to be insecure to be responsive."

"The corporate lobby in Washington is basically designed to stifle all legislative activity on behalf of consumers."

"The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun."

"There can be no daily democracy without daily citizenship."

"This country has far more problems than it deserves and far more solutions than it applies."

"Turn on to politics, or politics will turn on you."

"When strangers start acting like neighbors... communities are reinvigorated."

"Your best teacher is your last mistake."

~ Ralph Nader
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    "I start with the premise that the function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers."

"Once you don't vote your ideals... that has serious undermining affects. It erodes the moral basis of our democracy."

"Power has to be insecure to be responsive."

"The corporate lobby in Washington is basically designed to stifle all legislative activity on behalf of consumers."

"The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun."

"There can be no daily democracy without daily citizenship."

"This country has far more problems than it deserves and far more solutions than it applies."

"Turn on to politics, or politics will turn on you."

"When strangers start acting like neighbors... communities are reinvigorated."

"Your best teacher is your last mistake."

~ Ralph Nader

You know I think part of ole Ralphie's problem is he is unable to sahre his views with a positive spin...with a focus on the possibilities instead of the doom and gloom...at least in most of the quotes you mention there.

Instead of talking of problems, he should speak of opportunities. I could be wrong, I'm only basing it off these quotes and the other few times I've heard him speak.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    You know I think part of ole Ralphie's problem is he is unable to sahre his views with a positive spin...with a focus on the possibilities instead of the doom and gloom...at least in most of the quotes you mention there.

Instead of talking of problems, he should speak of opportunities. I could be wrong, I'm only basing it off these quotes and the other few times I've heard him speak.

What doom and gloom? I see quotes about seizing opportunity and empowering oneself.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    What doom and gloom? I see quotes about seizing opportunity and empowering oneself.

I suppose some could be taken that way too...just my opinion of the guy.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I suppose some could be taken that way too...just my opinion of the guy.

I love Ralph because he has always focused on people having the power if they chose to take it. He has always spread the message of civic duty, being active in your community, being neighborly, taking part....being a full time citizen as a means to living in a healthy democracy where we are truly represented because we are actually out there paying attention and demanding more from our elected officials.

To me, that's all about optimism and the very opposite of apathy.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    dmitrydmitry Posts: 136
    “Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
    Henry Louis Mencken

"... our calamity is heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer. "
    Thomas Paine
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    The All-Purpose U.S. Stump Speech by John Gross of Quebec

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it."

----

"We must come together to remake this great nation." - Barak Obama, 6/3/08
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    "Only a few of us were able to cry out loudly that the powers that be should not be all-powerful [...]
    The previous regime - armed with its arrogant and intolerant ideology - reduced man to a force of production, and nature to a tool of production. In this it attacked both their very substance and their mutual relationship. It reduced gifted and autonomous people, skillfully working in their own country, to the nuts and bolts of some monstrously huge, noisy and stinking machine, whose real meaning was not clear to anyone. It could not do more than slowly but inexorably wear out itself and all its nuts and bolts.

When I talk about the contaminated moral atmosphere [..] I am talking about all of us. We had all become used to the totalitarian system and accepted it as an unchangeable fact and thus helped to perpetuate it. In other words, we are all - though naturally to differing extents - responsible for the operation of the totalitarian machinery. None of us is just its victim. We are all also its co-creators.

[...]

We cannot blame the previous rulers for everything, not only because it would be untrue, but also because it would blunt the duty that each of us faces today: namely, the obligation to act independently, freely, reasonably and quickly. Let us not be mistaken: the best government in the world, the best parliament and the best president, cannot achieve much on their own. And it would be wrong to expect a general remedy from them alone. Freedom and democracy include participation and therefore responsibility from us all."

From Václav Havel's address to the nation, Prague, January 1, 1990

Still very relevant today!
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    "It's clearly a crisis of two things: of consciousness and conditioning. These are the two things that the psychedelics attack. We have the technological power, the engineering skills to save our planet, to cure disease, to feed the hungry, to end war; But we lack the intellectual vision, the ability to change our minds. We must decondition ourselves from 10,000 years of bad behavior. And, it's not easy.”

—Terence McKenna,

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    "The real leader has no need to lead, he is content to point the way." Henry Miller

"When everyone is against you, it means that you are absolutely wrong or
    absolutely right." Albert Guinon
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    "Let’s avoid the disease of denial, because if we don’t admit a problem then there is no solution." –Ralph Abraham

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    “Non-being is not the opposite of being; it is its contradiction. This implies that logically nothingness is subsequent to being since it is being, first posited, then denied”

(Sartre Being and Nothingness)
  • Options
    "Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return." - Colin Powell
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    Elections are won by men and women chiefly because most people vote against somebody rather than for somebody.
    - Franklin P. Adams

Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.
    - Bertrand Russell

I bought some batteries, but they weren't included.
    - Steven Wright
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984

Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.
    - Bertrand Russell

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

-Albert Einstein
  • Options
    “It is possible to fool all of the people all the time; when government and press cooperate.”
    GEORGE SELDES (legendary investigative reporter, 1938)

“The business of the journalist is to destroy the truth; to lie outright; to pervert; to vilify; to fawn at the feet of Mammon, and to sell the country for his daily bread… We are the tools and vassals of the rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."
    JOHN SWINTON (former Chief of Staff New York Times in his toast to the New York Press Club. Quote1880)

“Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an Invisible Government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed; our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of.”
    EDWARD L. BERNAYS (Sigmund Freud’s nephew and the father of psyops, mass spin control and modern propaganda. Bernay’s techniques sold WWI to Americans thru the “Committee on Public Information”. Josef Goebbels as Hitler's Minister of Propaganda was an avid fan of Bernay's work for the Third Reich. Bernays partnered with William Paley to run CBS. Edward Bernay’s work was also the foundation for CIA mass media manipulation via “Operation Mockingbird”. Quote: Bernay’s book “Propaganda” published 1928)

“Our job is to give people not what they want, but what we decide they ought to have.”
    RICHARD SALENT (President CBS “News” division 1961-64 & 1966-79 )

"News is what someone wants to suppress. Everything else is advertising".
    REUVEN FRANK (President NBC “News” from 1968-1972 & 1982-1984)

“You could get a journalist cheaper than a good call girl, for a couple hundred dollars a month.”
    PHILIP GRAHAM (editor of the Washington Post quoting his CIA operative source as he discussed the availability and prices of journalists willing to peddle CIA propaganda and cover stories. Quote 1991)

un-effing-believable...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    spiral outspiral out Posts: 1,052
    Good quotes Roland.
    Keep on rockin in the free world!!!!

The economy has polarized to the point where the wealthiest 10% now own 85% of the nation’s wealth. Never before have the bottom 90% been so highly indebted, so dependent on the wealthy.
  • Options
    “Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.” -- Eleanor Roosevelt
    [sic] happens