Options

Let's Post Some Quotes

AbookamongstthemanyAbookamongstthemany Posts: 8,209
edited December 2013 in A Moving Train
The two greatest obstacles to democracy in the United States are, first, the widespread delusion among the poor that we have a democracy, and second, the chronic terror among the rich, lest we get it. ~ Edward Dowling

When great changes occur in history, when great principles are involved, as a rule the majority are wrong. The minority are right. ~ Eugene V. Debs

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. ~ George Bernard Shaw

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. ~ George Orwell

Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates. ~ Gore Vidal
If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
-Oscar Wilde
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,211
    "last words are for fools who haven't said enough."

-karl marx, on his deathbed
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    "Market economics selects for profit - not what is good for humans"

Albert Einstein
  • Options
    Commy wrote:
    "Market economics selects for profit - not what is good for humans"

Albert Einstein

So true!!! Good one, Commy. :)

The citizen can bring our political and governmental institutions back to life, make them responsive and accountable, and keep them honest. No one else can. ~John Gardner
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    When you are right you cannot be too radical; when you are wrong, you cannot be too conservative.

MLK
  • Options
    "To safeguard democracy the people must have a keen sense of independence, self-respect, and their oneness." ~ Gandhi

In true democracy every man and women is taught to think for himself or herself. ~ Gandhi

The most effective way to restrict democracy is to transfer decision-making from the public arena to unaccountable institutions: kings and princes, priestly castes, military juntas, party dictatorships, or modern corporations. ~ Noam Chomsky

Elections are a good deal like marriages. There's no accounting for anyone's taste. Every time we see a bridegroom we wonder why she ever picked him, and it's the same with public officials. ~ Will Rogers

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Laws alone cannot secure freedom of expression

- Albert Einstein
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist" Dom Helder Camara
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    "Go fuck yourself." ~Dick Cheney to Senator Leahy
  • Options
    NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.” - George W. Bush

"The great masses of the people will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one." - Adolph Hitler

“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you have to concentrate on.” - George W. Bush

"If you tell a lie long enough, loud enough and often enough, the people will believe it. The secret to get someone to believe a lie is constant repetition. Just tell it over, and over, and over again." - Adolph Hitler

"See in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." - George W. Bush
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    On the Mindless Menace of Violence

City Club of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio
    April 5, 1968

This is a time of shame and sorrow. It is not a day for politics. I have saved this one opportunity, my only event of today, to speak briefly to you about the mindless menace of violence in America which again stains our land and every one of our lives.

It is not the concern of any one race. The victims of the violence are black and white, rich and poor, young and old, famous and unknown. They are, most important of all, human beings whom other human beings loved and needed. No one - no matter where he lives or what he does - can be certain who will suffer from some senseless act of bloodshed. And yet it goes on and on and on in this country of ours.

Why? What has violence ever accomplished? What has it ever created? No martyr's cause has ever been stilled by an assassin's bullet.

No wrongs have ever been righted by riots and civil disorders. A sniper is only a coward, not a hero; and an uncontrolled, uncontrollable mob is only the voice of madness, not the voice of reason.

Whenever any American's life is taken by another American unnecessarily - whether it is done in the name of the law or in the defiance of the law, by one man or a gang, in cold blood or in passion, in an attack of violence or in response to violence - whenever we tear at the fabric of the life which another man has painfully and clumsily woven for himself and his children, the whole nation is degraded.

"Among free men," said Abraham Lincoln, "there can be no successful appeal from the ballot to the bullet; and those who take such appeal are sure to lose their cause and pay the costs."

Yet we seemingly tolerate a rising level of violence that ignores our common humanity and our claims to civilization alike. We calmly accept newspaper reports of civilian slaughter in far-off lands. We glorify killing on movie and television screens and call it entertainment. We make it easy for men of all shades of sanity to acquire whatever weapons and ammunition they desire.

Too often we honor swagger and bluster and wielders of force; too often we excuse those who are willing to build their own lives on the shattered dreams of others. Some Americans who preach non-violence abroad fail to practice it here at home. Some who accuse others of inciting riots have by their own conduct invited them.

Some look for scapegoats, others look for conspiracies, but this much is clear: violence breeds violence, repression brings retaliation, and only a cleansing of our whole society can remove this sickness from our soul.

For there is another kind of violence, slower but just as deadly destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions; indifference and inaction and slow decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. This is the slow destruction of a child by hunger, and schools without books and homes without heat in the winter.

This is the breaking of a man's spirit by denying him the chance to stand as a father and as a man among other men. And this too afflicts us all.

I have not come here to propose a set of specific remedies nor is there a single set. For a broad and adequate outline we know what must be done. When you teach a man to hate and fear his brother, when you teach that he is a lesser man because of his color or his beliefs or the policies he pursues, when you teach that those who differ from you threaten your freedom or your job or your family, then you also learn to confront others not as fellow citizens but as enemies, to be met not with cooperation but with conquest; to be subjugated and mastered.

We learn, at the last, to look at our brothers as aliens, men with whom we share a city, but not a community; men bound to us in common dwelling, but not in common effort. We learn to share only a common fear, only a common desire to retreat from each other, only a common impulse to meet disagreement with force. For all this, there are no final answers.

Yet we know what we must do. It is to achieve true justice among our fellow citizens. The question is not what programs we should seek to enact. The question is whether we can find in our own midst and in our own hearts that leadership of humane purpose that will recognize the terrible truths of our existence.

We must admit the vanity of our false distinctions among men and learn to find our own advancement in the search for the advancement of others. We must admit in ourselves that our own children's future cannot be built on the misfortunes of others. We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge.

Our lives on this planet are too short and the work to be done too great to let this spirit flourish any longer in our land. Of course we cannot vanquish it with a program, nor with a resolution.

But we can perhaps remember, if only for a time, that those who live with us are our brothers, that they share with us the same short moment of life; that they seek, as do we, nothing but the chance to live out their lives in purpose and in happiness, winning what satisfaction and fulfillment they can.

Surely, this bond of common faith, this bond of common goal, can begin to teach us something. Surely, we can learn, at least, to look at those around us as fellow men, and surely we can begin to work a little harder to bind up the wounds among us and to become in our own hearts brothers and countrymen once again.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    “The enemy isn’t conservatism.

The enemy isn’t liberalism.

The enemy is bullshit."

—Lars-Erik Nelson, political columnist
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    When asked how he felt about making more $ then the President, Babe Ruth responded...

"I had a better year"

:cool:
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    In true democracy every man and women is taught to think for himself or herself. ~ Gandhi

This is one that I disagree with because I think it's a contradiction. It is basically saying that people need to rely on society to teach them to think for themselves.

I think it would be a far better thing for people to just think for themselves as opposed to waiting for someone or something to TEACH them to think for themselves.

And what if they are taught to think for themselves in a manner that doesn't align with their true nature or the way they would think for themself naturally? In other words, society could have bias when it is doing the teaching.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    melodiousmelodious Posts: 1,719
    In order to know oneself, one must know emptiness....

Cheers!!!!

It is yet another day for a new season. Peace and Joyous LOVing LIGHT...

Happy Equinox...
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    bigdvsbigdvs Posts: 235
    "Religion is the opiate of the masses" - Karl Marx

"The one true good is knowledge, the one true evil ignorance" -Socrates
    "The really important thing is not to live, but to live well. And to live well meant, along with more enjoyable things in life, to live according to your principles."
    — Socrates

• Options
    I looked in the mirror.
    I don't know who I am anymore.
    The face is familiar.
    But the eyes, the eyes, give it all away.

All out to get you by James.
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    This is one that I disagree with because I think it's a contradiction. It is basically saying that people need to rely on society to teach them to think for themselves.

I think it would be a far better thing for people to just think for themselves as opposed to waiting for someone or something to TEACH them to think for themselves.

And what if they are taught to think for themselves in a manner that doesn't align with their true nature or the way they would think for themself naturally? In other words, society could have bias when it is doing the teaching.

I guess the word 'taught' can be taken as waiting for a lesson or led into a line of thinking that is biased or manufactured.

But if you changed the word to 'encouraged', which is how I took the quote, it makes a stronger point.

People are encouraged to follow, fit in, adapt to things that they view as wrong against their better judgement. If independent thinking was encouraged by everyone and valued by the masses I think we'd see a much stronger society. Not too mention how public schools basiclly discourage independent thought and individualism in place of teaching conformity and following cues and orders instead.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    I've just realised your name is from off he goes, kind of ties in with my quote when you think about it
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.

The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems.

Ghandi
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.

The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems.

Ghandi

I wish it was you that done the budget.
  • Options
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Take our politicians: they're a bunch of yo-yos. The presidency is now a cross between a popularity contest and a high school debate, with an encyclopedia of cliches the first prize. ~Saul Bellow

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    ~ P. J. ORourke

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

I am working for the time when unqualified blacks, browns, and women join the unqualified men in running our government. ~Frances "Sissy" Farenthold

Now's the time "Sissy". Now's the time.
    :D

When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix :)
    Forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I'll give you five bucks for the whole lot.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    "With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Steven Weinberg
  • Options
    I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. ~ George Carlin

Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they? ~ George Carlin

Nor can I forget the Hicks! (Kabong-along). :D

People in the United Kingdom and outside the United States share my bemusement with the United States that America doesn't share with itself. ~ Bill Hicks

If you don't think drugs have done good things for us, then take all of your records, tapes and CD's and burn them. ~ Bill Hicks

I have this feeling man, 'cause you know, it's just a handful of people who run everything, you know … that's true, it's provable. It's not … I'm not a fucking conspiracy nut, it's provable. A handful, a very small elite, run and own these corporations, which include the mainstream media. I have this feeling that whoever is elected president, like Clinton was, no matter what you promise on the campaign trail – blah, blah, blah – when you win, you go into this smoke-filled room with the twelve industrialist capitalist scum-fucks who got you in there. And you're in this smoky room, and this little film screen comes down … and a big guy with a cigar goes, "Roll the film." And it's a shot of the Kennedy assassination from an angle you've never seen before … that looks suspiciously like it's from the grassy knoll. And then the screen goes up and the lights come up, and they go to the new president, "Any questions?" "Er, just what my agenda is." "First we bomb Baghdad." "You got it …" ~ Bill Hicks
    Forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
  • Options
    Robert Kennedy in 1968 made these comments on what GNP measures.

For too long we seem to have surrendered personal excellence and community value in the mere accumulation of material things. Our gross national product now is over 800 billion dollars a year, but that gross national product, if we judge the United States of America by that, that gross national product counts air pollution, and cigarette advertising, and ambulances to clear our highways of carnage. It counts special locks for our doors and the jails for people who break them. It counts the destruction of the redwoods and the loss of our natural wonder in chaotic squall. It counts Napalm, and it counts nuclear warheads, and armored cars for the police to fight the riots in our city. It counts Whitman's rifles and Speck's Knifes and the television programs which glorify violence in order to sell toys to our children. Yet, the gross national product does not allow for the health of our children, the quality of their education, or the joy of their play; it does not include the beauty of our poetry of the strength of our marriages, the intelligence of our public debate for the integrity of our public officials. It measures neither our wit nor our courage neither our wisdom nor our learning, neither our compassion nor our devotion to our country it measures everything in short except that which makes life worth while. And it can tell us everything about America except why we are proud that we are Americans.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Morihei Ueshiba

THE ART of PEACE begins with you. Work on yourself and your appointed task in the ART of PEACE. Everyone has a spirit that can be refined, a body that can be trained in some manner, a suitable path to follow. Your are here for no other purpose than to realize your inner divinity and manifest your inner enlightenment. Foster peace in your own life and apply the ART to all that you encounter....

*c/f....and ya wonder why ???? ;)
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    melodious wrote:
    Morihei Ueshiba

THE ART of PEACE begins with you. Work on yourself and your appointed task in the ART of PEACE. Everyone has a spirit that can be refined, a body that can be trained in some manner, a suitable path to follow. Your are here for no other purpose than to realize your inner divinity and manifest your inner enlightenment. Foster peace in your own life and apply the ART to all that you encounter....

*c/f....and ya wonder why ???? ;)

the peace i seek is my own inner peace. i can not hope to wish peace for our mother earth if first i do not attain it for myself. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    and, in that brief time when peace is disturbed, it is not for us to blame external forces; it is moreso how we respond: our demeanor and expression is the true representation of our peace...

take a breath; and pull back into center beam....!!!!

(i do this atleast a thousands times a day)

good day to ya...
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    melodious wrote:
    and, in that brief time when peace is disturbed, it is not for us to blame external forces; it is moreso how we respond: our demeanor and expression is the true representation of our peace...

take a breath; and pull back into center beam....!!!!

(i do this atleast a thousands times a day)

good day to ya...

hmm. when my peace is disturbed it is more often than not, from internal forces. i respond neither goodly, nor badly but how i do. i do not judge it. but just ride it. and know that regardless, i am responding correctly.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    hmm. when my peace is disturbed it is more often than not, from internal forces. i respond neither goodly, nor badly but how i do. i do not judge it. but just ride it. and know that regardless, i am responding correctly.
    now you are delving into what i call the blade of grass theory....we are but ONE in an entire field...

Yes. I am one who has pulled the victim card...and then I see and look at events, energies, etc, and realize that the only one who may have a feather ruffled is my self..because I may not know someone or thing sufficiently..usually this becomes a judgement or a premise, which more often than not is like a game of chance.....but when I use patience, tolerance, and and nuturing when allowing the dominoes of circumstance to fall, i usually can ride the waves too...

pulling the Self to center is a great skill to have when our lives may encounter multitudes of stress-factors..

that's what makes c/f a master surfer...

and i am grateful for waves...so call me a beginner.......

always a pleasure, c/f....always...

i have to go prepare to have some bread with my mom..
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light