Options

why do you believe in God or...

Comments

• Options
    thanks professor...

but no...my question stands as i posted it...

if you don't believe in something greater than yourself...why the hell do you care if other people do? and if you pose such a question, i'm guessing you're interested in believing.
    or maybe it's cos people are just curious to know.... they'd like to understand the others who believe it...

it's funny tho.... not a single time on this thread did i even post why i believe in god :rolleyes:
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    if you don't believe in something greater than yourself, why ask the question?

ah hawk, i explained this earlier. i was at uni and it just came to me. WHY we do anything is probably the most interesting and revealing question of all. it was just curiosity.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,038
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Yea, but you can't travel it, you can only perceive it. The main point of the video is that you may be perceiving reality wrong, and so might they, they just assume they are perceiving it correctly, without ever having direct access to reality.
    The travel is the experience of it, which I experience in each moment. It either works or it doesn't--here is the only indicator of what is real--does it enable one's evolution, continue peace, happiness, etc? One can live limited and separated, including what that entails. The consistent progress for me from serious and painful illness, addictions, broken relationships, etc, to healing and unity has allowed the dark and distortion to fall away...and still does. The choice is easy--separation or harmony. I am fortunate in that I was so pained that I broke through. I yearned to help people and to create the opposite of the pain I experienced. Not only did this realm show me how to heal, and allowed full healing beyond my wildest dreams, but it informs all that I do now. It is responsible for all that I am. :) It's stunning to be experientially attuned to this reality.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    thanks professor...

if you don't believe in something greater than yourself...why the hell do you care if other people do? and if you pose such a question, i'm guessing you're interested in believing.

well hawk you'd be guessing wrong. :)
    what i am curious about is WHY? i'd hate to think i'd pose the question and someone answered ... just cause i do. which i see as a lame answer. or actually no answer at all.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    angelica wrote:
    The travel is the experience of it, which I experience in each moment. It either works or it doesn't--here is the only indicator of what is real--does it enable one's evolution, continue peace, happiness, etc? One can live limited and separated, including what that entails. The consistent progress for me from serious and painful illness, addictions, broken relationships, etc, to healing and unity has allowed the dark and distortion to fall away...and still does. The choice is easy--separation or harmony. I am fortunate in that I was so pained that I broke through. I yearned to help people and to create the opposite of the pain I experienced. Not only did this realm show me how to heal, and allowed full healing beyond my wildest dreams, but it informs all that I do now. It is responsible for all that I am. :) It's stunning to be experientially attuned to this reality.

My point is you are still perceiving reality through your brain. You are just as likely to be wrong as anyone else's perception. That's why people say, your reality works for you and my reality works for me. Whatever makes you happy. But real reality has nothing to do with perception.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    thanks professor...

Point is, you are asking "Why?" the question seeks a cause for an effect. In a reality that consists of God - a contra-causal entity - and human free-wills - a contra-causal will - the question "Why?" is the wrong question. In an indeterministic universe, such as the Christian one, there are things that do not have causes and the question "Why?" cannot be answered, especially in regards to human wills and choices.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    My point is you are still perceiving reality through your brain. You are just as likely to be wrong as anyone else's perception. That's why people say, your reality works for you and my reality works for me. Whatever makes you happy. But real reality has nothing to do with perception.
    you know.... i find it very interesting that everybody argues with everybody....
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    well hawk you'd be guessing wrong. :)
    what i am curious about is WHY? i'd hate to think i'd pose the question and someone answered ... just cause i do. which i see as a lame answer. or actually no answer at all.

my comment was more of a jab at the usual anyone who believes in God is a racist, biggot, homophobe, etc.

as for why do i believe...i'm not going to convince you...nor do i have any desire to do so. it's based on faith. it's kind of pointless to convince someone...either you believe or you don't. either you believe in something greater than yourself, or you don't.

angelica is much more articulate in this area than i am....so i defer to her.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • Options
    you know.... i find it very interesting that everybody argues with everybody....

Yea, I hear you. I only argue with Angelica's delivery of ideas. But I shouldn't. I guess the words just rub me the wrong way.
  • Options
    my comment was more of a jab at the usual anyone who believes in God is a racist, biggot, homophobe, etc.

as for why do i believe...i'm not going to convince you...nor do i have any desire to do so. it's based on faith. it's kind of pointless to convince someone...either you believe or you don't. either you believe in something greater than yourself, or you don't.

angelica is much more articulate in this area than i am....so i defer to her.

Now your getting the hang of it. In order for your will to be free, and thus choose right or wrong, and thus be responsible and worthy of God's judgement, your belief in God must be without cause.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Point is, you are asking "Why?" the question seeks a cause for an effect. In a reality that consists of God - a contra-causal entity - and human free-wills - a contra-causal will - the question "Why?" is the wrong question. In an indeterministic universe, such as the Christian one, there are things that do not have causes and the question "Why?" cannot be answered, especially in regards to human wills and choices.

this is a fun and interesting post if you're 18.
  • Options
    this is a fun and interesting post if you're 18.

It's an interesting post if you are Albert Einstein.
  • Options
    perhaps instead of asking WHY i should have asked, how did you come about your faith or lack thereof?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    It's an interesting post if you are Albert Einstein.

rock on will hunting
  • Options
    perhaps instead of asking WHY i should have asked, how did you come about your faith or lack thereof?

in short, social anxiety.

the end :)

basically when i realized I wasn't the center of the universe is when I began believing in something greater.
  • Options
    in short, social anxiety.

the end :)

basically when i realized I wasn't the center of the universe is when I began believing in something greater.

so do you think that atheists are so because they believe they are the centre of their universe?
    i don't think i am the centre of the universe. i believe there is no 'self' and we are all interdependent.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Again, evolutionarily, it is impossible to be wrong when one is aligned with natural evolutionary forces and living and feeling the harmony, purpose and one's creative potential doing so. On the other hand, sustaining anti-life principles and ill health on all kinds of levels... ie: unhealthy diet, addictions, etc, in other words evolutionarily destructive actions, which will fall away whether by choice or by ultimate pain and death, doesn't make a lot of sense, given the comparison. This is the intellectual exercise part.

In reality, I understand why it takes desperation for people to wake up from their pain and create new agreements and perceptions with reality, in order to resolve their pain and existential dilemmas. I also understand why people are hypnotized by the view inside the box--or why they take the view inside Plato's cave to be reality. It's a tricky thing getting around the ego. Had I not suffered so badly, and had such a lack of healthy ego (ie: which is the case of mental illness) I would be entranced still, too. I would take the suffering again in a heartbeat to get where I am. But, that's why it was all orchestrated to begin with. I chose it in my deeper and actual awareness.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

• Options
    i have to say angelica, your posts just trip me out. and i don't mean that condescendingly or with any malice. it's just very interesting for me to see how someone else's mind works. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    Again, evolutionarily, it is impossible to be wrong when one is aligned with natural evolutionary forces and living and feeling the harmony, purpose and one's creative potential doing so. On the other hand, sustaining anti-life principles and ill health on all kinds of levels... ie: unhealthy diet, addictions, etc, in other words evolutionarily destructive actions, which will fall away whether by choice or by ultimate pain and death, doesn't make a lot of sense, given the comparison. This is the intellectual exercise part.

In reality, I understand why it takes desperation for people to wake up from their pain and create new agreements and perceptions with reality, in order to resolve their pain and existential dilemmas. I also understand why people are hypnotized by the view inside the box--or why they take the view inside Plato's cave to be reality. It's a tricky thing getting around the ego. Had I not suffered so badly, and had such a lack of healthy ego (ie: which is the case of mental illness) I would be entranced still, too. I would take the suffering again in a heartbeat to get where I am. But, that's why it was all orchestrated to begin with. I chose it in my deeper and actual awareness.

I don't know what you are saying :(
  • Options
    i have to say angelica, your posts just trip me out. and i don't mean that condescendingly or with any malice. it's just very interesting for me to see how someone else's mind works. :)
    Thanks. :)

• Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I don't know what you are saying :(
    What part?

• Options
    angelica wrote:
    What part?

It just doesn't seem to address my point. Besides your saying that being in-line with evolution makes it impossible for you to be wrong. But what if I consider myself to be in-line with evolution and I disagree with you? Then it goes back to both of us having subjective opinions.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    let's go back a little bit... and i'm typing this very slowly just so you know.... (i'm really laughing at your comments, not in a bad way tho... i enjoy chatting with you)

i've already told you... what christ came to accomplish was rescue humanity from sin... christ, being the only one who overcame sin and death, delivered us from condemnation. he already did, all of us. it's only up to YOU to believe it and it's primarily up to YOU to believe that sin no longer lives but Christ in you.

going back, originally, you said that how is it that God would forgive a murderer simply cause he believed in jesus and how would he condemn a jew who devouted his life to giving to charity (or something like that) simply cause he didn't accept jesus??

my response was that every single individual is under the condemnation of sin. christ came to deliver us from that condemnation. so it's not becuase you're a jew that you go to hell, or a muslim, or whatever.... it's simply because of the state of corruption that you're in. i don't know... do you still see a contradiction somewhere? help me out...

when you said this:

"God's love is and so is His love strong enough to forgive a devout jew who devoted helping others, just so long as he realizes that is body is under a state of corruption and he needs to be cleansed by the blood of jesus"

i thought you were saying even jews can get to heaven becos god has the power to forgive them. but i read now that you're saying he doesn't have the power to forgive them, there's nothing he can do to help a jew who devotes his life to charity unless said jew starts praising jesus before he dies. so nevermind, i misread it the first time. god's still the vain little prick i thought ;)
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    It just doesn't seem to address my point. Besides your saying that being in-line with evolution makes it impossible for you to be wrong. But what if I consider myself to be in-line with evolution and I disagree with you? Then it goes back to both of us having subjective opinions.
    Are you going to tell me that you are in line with evolution while you practice unhealthy eating and addictions?

Subjective opinions that are not supported in reality show a conflict rather than harmony with life.

Disharmony is it's own situation. By it's nature it is not resolved.

• Options
    god's still the vain little prick i thought ;)
    but it ain't his fault we messed up... and it ain't his fault we choose not to accept that.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Yea, I hear you. I only argue with Angelica's delivery of ideas. But I shouldn't. I guess the words just rub me the wrong way.
    I'm completely at peace with our "conflict". I think you are, too. It's very natural for you and I to rub each other the wrong way. It inspires creative energy and growth between us.

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    belief is a choice that's decided by the experiences one come acrossed in life,
    some experience great short comings that make them question a greater existance, while others experience a sweet life that tells them they must have some one looking out for them. But what blows my mind... is those peeps that bleieve that there is a higher power, no matter how low the tide. Those are the ones we need to take notes from, they have a secret; belief is a gift. cause it gives you a hope, a faith that nothing else can offer.. I believe there's something out there beyond us. Think about it.. we EVOLVED.... that's a pretty intricate design.. at least I think so. Just my two cents
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    but it ain't his fault we messed up... and it ain't his fault we choose not to accept that.

True, it's not his fault we messed up. And he can't forgive that. Like soulsinging said god's a vain little prick and probably a liar too.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i never murdered any children...

btw, if someone murdered a loved one of yours, is your love not strong enough to forgive them?
    Sorry, i don't get this. Who are you suggesting be forgiven? The murderer or your God?
    basically, if you believe in Christ and follow his words, then all amount of goodness shall be accomplished in your life. every step that you take will be graceful and righteous. or at least that's what the bible promises.

God Will Command His Angels to Protect You Wherever You Go
    Psalm 91: 11

Just sometimes the Angels get lost and forget some people.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

it IS his fault that we only have one way out of it. if god is all-powerful, he doesn't need to funnel us through jesus to forgive us. he could just do it. so either god is NOT all-powerful, or he made the CHOICE to set up an arbitrary test he knew would deny billions of the children he "loves," many of whom are wonderful and deserving people, the chance to be with him in heaven solely becos they chose other, equally spiritual religions that their parents, family, and loved ones all shared with them. he knowingly abandoned billions to damnation by creating a jesus clause that is nothing but a technicality. doesn't seem very loving to me.