Options

why do you believe in God or...

Comments

• Options
    cornnifer wrote:
    Your understanding of Christian faith is unparalleled.
    except with a few misconceptions here and there.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    so he will respect our choices, he'll just never forgive them? funny how you can murder children and get into heaven as long as you're sorry and went to church and ask jesus for a pass, but if you're a devout jew who devoted his life to helping other people, you're fucked becos god simply cannot forgive that.

I find it interesting that you focus on what people do as a way to get to heaven. some christian denominations believe in grace alone while other denominations (catholic comes to mind) believe in grace and good works. Grace is what saves people...knowing that we are getting something we don't deserve, not by anything that we do. Which is why the child murderer, murderer, liar etc... all can get to heaven b/c it's about grace and then changing your attitude based on grace...not changing your attitude and actions hoping that it gets you in to heaven. I know a lot of people feel like it's just a free pass to do whatever then say, I'm sorry...then it's ok. God knows the heart and he knows the person which is why HE is the judge and HE is the perfect judge.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    chopitdown wrote:
    through genetics? through evolution? what way through humanity...is it just ingrained?
    Through communication.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    gue_barium wrote:
    Through communication.

ok then...how did the communication get started? don't say, "by someone" either ;)
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    ok then...how did the communication get started? don't say, "by someone" either ;)

How does anything get started?

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    I find it interesting that you focus on what people do as a way to get to heaven. some christian denominations believe in grace alone while other denominations (catholic comes to mind) believe in grace and good works. Grace is what saves people...knowing that we are getting something we don't deserve, not by anything that we do. Which is why the child murderer, murderer, liar etc... all can get to heaven b/c it's about grace and then changing your attitude based on grace...not changing your attitude and actions hoping that it gets you in to heaven. I know a lot of people feel like it's just a free pass to do whatever then say, I'm sorry...then it's ok. God knows the heart and he knows the person which is why HE is the judge and HE is the perfect judge.
    it's true though... we live by grace and by works. read james, "faith without works is dead" the point is, God's grace is strong enough to change us inside and out once we believe. like the psalm says, "the law of the Lord is perfect that converts the soul."

therefore, if a person murders, he murdered while in the flesh, if he seeks Christ for forgiveness and yet murders again he is still in the flesh. just like everytime Jesus healed a sick person he said, "go and sin no more." also, paul asks, "what then? shall we keep sinning so that grace can abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" Romans 6:1,2 in other words, how is someone going to tell me that a person that murdered did it while under the spirit?

i know, total biblical theology....
  • Options
    it's true though... we live by grace and by works. read james, "faith without works is dead" the point is, God's grace is strong enough to change us inside and out once we believe. like the psalm says, "the law of the Lord is perfect that converts the soul."

therefore, if a person murders, he murdered while in the flesh, if he seeks Christ for forgiveness and yet murders again he is still in the flesh. just like everytime Jesus healed a sick person he said, "go and sin no more." also, paul asks, "what then? shall we keep sinning so that grace can abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" Romans 6:1,2 in other words, how is someone going to tell me that a person that murdered did it while under the spirit?

Time is the only law.

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    Time is the only law.
    you couldn't be anymore right.
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130

This isn't the place for this. Perhaps in a PM or something, but, in order for your point to completely stick, speaking as one Christian to another, you would have to be able to argue that as Christians, once we accept Christ, we lead blameless lives. i sure as hell don't. How about you? ;)
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    cornnifer wrote:
    This isn't the place for this. Perhaps in a PM or something, but, in order for your point to completely stick, speaking as one Christian to another, you would have to be able to argue that as Christians, once we accept Christ, we lead blameless lives. i sure as hell don't. How about you? ;)
    at this point i really don't care when's the time or place for anything....

you're right tho... we're not always "in the spirit"... we fail just like any other human being... but let me stress this a little further... "wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which easily besets us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." and also, "be not weary in well-doing for in due season we shall reap if we faint not" and again, "my little children, these things I write to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone sins, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: and he's the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world."

the point is, true, i'll fail time and again, but ultimately it depends where your faith rests on. i guess, we just have to keep getting back on the bandwagon. thoughts?
  • Options
    at this point i really don't care when's the time or place for anything....

you're right tho... we're not always "in the spirit"... we fail just like any other human being... but let me stress this a little further... "wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which easily besets us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." and also, "be not weary in well-doing for in due season we shall reap if we faint not" and again, "my little children, these things I write to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone sins, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: and he's the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world."

the point is, true, i'll fail time and again, but ultimately it depends where your faith rests on. i guess, we just have to keep getting back on the bandwagon. thoughts?

The only failure of human beings is being too much of a success.

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    The only failure of human beings is being too much of a success.
    i agree again! but what kind of success?
  • Options
    i agree again! but what kind of success?
    Presuming to outlaw time, I guess, to get to the heart of the matter.

With ego, and id, and god and lying to children: for selfish, greedy reasons.

Greed aint good. Greed is rape.

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    Presuming to outlaw time, I guess, to get to the heart of the matter.

With ego, and id, and god and lying to children: for selfish, greedy reasons.

Greed aint good. Greed is rape.
    true. i guess, it depends on the success you seek.

i could be a very succesful lawyer, which would mean i probably cheated my way around certain loops, including defending a guilty person.

but i could have the good kind of success like build my little house in a village far away where only my grandchildren will visit. it's probably not success in the same sense that others view it but it's the kind of success that makes me feel satisfied and accomplished. the kind that holds no regards to egos, or lying... just the simple kind that makes it feel all perfect. even tho it's probably not.... to others.
  • Options
    true. i guess, it depends on the success you seek.

i could be a very succesful lawyer, which would mean i probably cheated my way around certain loops, including defending a guilty person.

but i could have the good kind of success like build my little house in a village far away where only my grandchildren will visit. it's probably not success in the same sense that others view it but it's the kind of success that makes me feel satisfied and accomplished. the kind that holds no regards to egos, or lying... just the simple kind that makes it feel all perfect. even tho it's probably not.... to others.

Well, the question was, essentially, how has humankind become too much of a success? My answer was in regard to our place on earth. My conscience tells me my fellow man is a little too comfortable, as well a little too uncomfortable.

If you look at the indigenous tribes that have managed to survive in spite of our modern world, you will see that they have managed to keep themselves in a population check for thousands of years. They are the meek deserving of the world. Without that stupid Jesus crap.

lol.

• Options
    JamMastaEJamMastaE Posts: 444
    jlew24asu wrote:
    I'm normally a very logic, show me the facts kinda guy.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......HA
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot". Mark Twain

"I would rather die on my feet than to live on my knees."
    Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    JamMastaE wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......HA

Hehee.

Alice in Wonderland...i often think of Alice, myself.

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    Well, the question was, essentially, how has humankind become too much of a success? My answer was in regard to our place on earth. My conscience tells me my fellow man is a little too comfortable, as well a little too uncomfortable.

If you look at the indigenous tribes that have managed to survive in spite of our modern world, they have managed to keep themselves in a population check for thousands of years. They are the meek deserving of the world. Without that stupid Jesus crap.

lol.
    well, maybe we should develop a mindset as theirs.... i know what you mean tho... being that i have relatives of indigenous descent of the mexican tribes.

i believe that everything you do in this world should be given back to you here on earth too... i don't know if that always happens. i guess, for the most part, i have faith that God will rightly judge those things. i dunno... it gets too complicated after that.

i'm sure we can develop agencies and organizations or political groups and rallies that fight for these types... just like che guevara, or the guerrilla's... but ultimately the plan gets distorted and they begin to fight violence with violence.

i had a professor once that began to name all the negative things of our political gov't, including our own state of texas. he gave us a list of things that are too much to name. finally, we began to ask how we could change that. he replied, "i don't know. you tell me."

i don't know am i making any sense?
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    btw, if someone murdered a loved one of yours, is your love not strong enough to forgive them?

Just curious as to how long your hate would hang on if your brother, sister, mom, dad, aunt, uncle, nephew, niece got iced?
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    well, maybe we should develop a mindset as theirs.... i know what you mean tho... being that i have relatives of indigenous descent of the mexican tribes.

i believe that everything you do in this world should be given back to you here on earth too... i don't know if that always happens. i guess, for the most part, i have faith that God will rightly judge those things. i dunno... it gets too complicated after that.

i'm sure we can develop agencies and organizations or political groups and rallies that fight for these types... just like che guevara, or the guerrilla's... but ultimately the plan gets distorted and they begin to fight violence with violence.

i had a professor once that began to name all the negative things of our political gov't, including our own state of texas. he gave us a list of things that are too much to name. finally, we began to ask how we could change that. he replied, "i don't know. you tell me."

i don't know am i making any sense?

we're on different pages, i think. for now. that's okay though.

• Options
    cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    ...why don't you, if that is the case.

i am an atheist. i don't believe in a God cause it makes absolutely no sense to me. this has been the case since i was 11 years old. religion does not give me the answers i require.

Perhaps not everything should make sense to you. If more people realized this, then maybe the answers they seek will come on their own. Oh, and I don't 'require' anything from God.

Believing does not equal believing in religion.
  • Options
    freedomboyfreedomboy Posts: 129
    chopitdown wrote:
    How did humanity arrive at those morals?

To simplify a very complicated and multi-faceted history... Humanity arrived at it's current moral status via progression of human thought throughout a long history.

Those who follow the bible now do not derive their morals from the bible, but their interpretation of the bible through a distorted lens (in this case, humanities moral structure)... This has been the case all throughout the translations of the bible as well.

People wrote the parables of the bible through the looking glass of what was humanities current moral structure... When the scribes would copy the scrolls to spread out, they often added their own ideas and comments which eventually would be copied into the official texts...

Evidence of this lies in the mentioning of gods and demons from other religions being prevalent in the bible... as well as scientific beliefs, such as "the firmament" in Genesis 1... People used what was familiar to them at that time to explain things... it is easy to see how morals would intertwine with the times as well.

That is all...

Truly, peace to you all.
    Freedom is a state of mind...
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Just curious as to how long your hate would hang on if your brother, sister, mom, dad, aunt, uncle, nephew, niece got iced?
    i don't know... the question i asked tho, was a rhetorical one. i don't claim to be any holier-than-thou... i only asked the question to deliver the idea that God's love is greater than our own and our understanding.

but you're right i'd probably want vengeance bestowed upon them or somethin' even though i know that the best thing to show is forgiveness
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    we're on different pages, i think. for now. that's okay though.
    i kinda figured.. sorry... it's probably cause you write too complicated for me... i'm not often too bright :(
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Where do I begin?

Why I'm not religious:

It's incompatible with science and history.

It's foolishness.

Is there a God? Like Spinoza's God, a Grand Architect?

I don't know, but it's highly improbable. Therefor I don't believe there is one.

This is my view as well, I'm an athiest. Thanks for articulating it so well.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    cc10106 wrote:
    Perhaps not everything should make sense to you. If more people realized this, then maybe the answers they seek will come on their own. Oh, and I don't 'require' anything from God.

Believing does not equal believing in religion.

well what can i say. i require a certain amount of logic in my life for it to start making any sense.
    but it's not as if i go around every day seeking proof.
    so if you don't require anything from God what is it you get out of him or hope to get out of believing in him?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Jesus was a surfer and smoked ganja on the beach.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    dunkman wrote:
    you cant be because
    1. that joke was shit and
    2. well, i don't need a 2 because number 1 was so great

:cool:

why did my joke upset you??
  • Options
    kinetickinetic Posts: 148
    Seriously, I have a hard enough time believing in myself.
    When you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
  • Options
    The last time I called God, I got a busy signal...

sigh...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")