why do you believe in God or...

catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
edited January 2008 in A Moving Train
...why don't you, if that is the case.


i am an atheist. i don't believe in a God cause it makes absolutely no sense to me. this has been the case since i was 11 years old. religion does not give me the answers i require.
hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say
Post edited by Unknown User on
«13456740

Comments

  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Where do I begin?

    Why I'm not religious:

    It's incompatible with science and history.

    It's foolishness.

    Is there a God? Like Spinoza's God, a Grand Architect?

    I don't know, but it's highly improbable. Therefor I don't believe there is one.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DCPosts: 7,074
    I find the idea of God comforting. It is feeling based. When you think of a single person on a journey across a desert, someone who is not unhappy to be in this position, then you'll have an idea of how I feel. Expansion, hidden mysteries revealed, faith. Although I am part of a major religion, ulimately in my case I see it as an individual journey. With this belief I am not lonely.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    I believe that something wonderful and miraculous happened that caused this planet to be. That caused all the things on this planet to be.

    I thank it daily for giving me a new day. I do this at dinnertime when I thank it for another meal. I thank it daily for all the gifts that seem to have been given to us.

    When I'm handed a really painful and difficult situation, I ask it for help. And then I immediately feel guilty, because I shouldn't ask for such personal assistance from something that obviously had much more of a goal than to help one single occupant of this planet in a time of need. Others are being killed while I eat my dinner. Others are being raped while I sleep.

    So I accept that there is a balance, and I try to accept my place in it. And I try to keep my own personal acts balanced, in the meantime. As in, yes I sometimes do the wrong thing. But I mostly try to do the right thing.

    What's the right thing? That which does not disturb the work of the wonderful and miraculous thing that happened to cause this planet to be. That caused all the things on this planet to be.

    That, to me, is the closest I can come to explaining my variation of what others call God.
    Feels Good Inc.
  • bingerbinger Posts: 179
    Cause that was who I was told to believe in. Otherwise I'd go to hell. Pretty simple.
    I want to point out that people who seem to have no power, whether working people, people of color, or women -- once they organize and protest and create movements -- have a voice no government can suppress. Howard Zinn
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    God and religion are different things for me cate. Can believe in one without the other. Having said that I don't really believe in either.

    Never be able to manage to believe in one Religion. I've checked most of em out and they do nothing for me. Just more rules and regulations as far as I can see.

    Thought maybe there might be a god or a higher power but just recently there was an incident that was defining in my life where I would have expected god to be present and there was nothing. I felt absolutely nothing. I even noticed that absence. So I don't know, I'm quite sure other people do feel God, do know that there is a God. I'm not one of those people. I'd love it if there was. What an amazing idea! But nope. No God in my world.
    NOPE!!!

    *~You're IT Bert!~*

    Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • As an atheist, I guess I've always kinda rejected organised religion - from a very early age, I hated going to mass every Sunday!:p But my parents forced me every damn week. I just never really understood what the whole deal was. Then once I hit about 12 or so, I started questioning the actual religion itself, and realised that I had never truly believed in God - I was always just forced to assume my parents were right. I guess it could be the case that I rejected it because it was forced down my throat all my life, but now, the more I think about it, the more I think it's Santa Claus on a wider scale, if you follow me.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I believe anything is possible. But, I don't really believe in "religion" as I see most as a man made way to control. I do have an open mind however and hope there is something there. :) It just seems to me that most religions alienate or scare or separate when it should be just the opposite, so I have no real use for them. My religion is nature. If a god created it then I would like to meet that entity someday. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    ...why don't you, if that is the case.


    i am an atheist. i don't believe in a God cause it makes absolutely no sense to me.
    of course it doesnt make sense. it cant be proven. and I'm normally a very logic, show me the facts kinda guy.. but sometimes I pretend something does exist beyond my realm of thinking. thats why its called a belief. I'd like to think there is something after death.

    I really wish people too my approach....... I dont care what other religion you are. as far as I'm concerned, its none of my business. believe what you believe and have a good time. and I promise never to pressure you to share my beliefs.

    this has been the case since i was 11 years old. religion does not give me the answers i require.
    fair enough. maybe you will find what you require with something else? as long as your beliefs dont require killing others, have at it.

    I hope like you dont feel im insulting you. i'm just responding to you and others with similar beliefs. point being, do your thing.
  • Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    wolfbear wrote:
    I believe anything is possible. But, I don't really believe in "religion" as I see most as a man made way to control. I do have an open mind however and hope there is something there. :) It just seems to me that most religions alienate or scare or separate when it should be just the opposite, so I have no real use for them. My religion is nature. If a god created it then I would like to meet that entity someday. :)

    My post sounds very religious, now, when compared to yours.

    When I say a "thing" created this earth, I mean that this "thing" could be a big bang caused by nature....or it could be a big bang caused by some entity. Who or what that entity is, I have no right to challenge, let alone champion.

    Religion is a big scary growth that emerged from big fear at one time. It has become a cess pool of war and hatred and bigotry.

    So when I say I offer thanks each day to this "thing", I mean that I offer thanks to whatever brought us life and the miracle of fish, flowers, thoughts, food, friendship, creativity, breath, days, and everything else that -- when you really look at it -- is a miracle.

    Religion's God is not in play here, in my worship. Life and death and everything in between are what I give thanks for, and to.
    Feels Good Inc.
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Where do I begin?

    Why I'm not religious:

    It's incompatible with science and history.

    It's foolishness.

    Is there a God? Like Spinoza's God, a Grand Architect?

    I don't know, but it's highly improbable. Therefor I don't believe there is one.

    highly improbable or impossible? it either exists or it doesnt.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jlew24asu wrote:
    of course it doesnt make sense. it cant be proven. and I'm normally a very logic, show me the facts kinda guy.. but sometimes I pretend something does exist beyond my realm of thinking. thats why its called a belief. I'd like to think there is something after death.

    why do you wish for this to be the case?

    jlew24asu wrote:
    I hope like you dont feel im insulting you. i'm just responding to you and others with similar beliefs. point being, do your thing.

    no i don't feel like you're insulting me. but you could be doing it so subtlely that i'm too dense to pick up on it. doubt it though. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    jlew24asu wrote:
    highly improbable or impossible? it either exists or it doesnt.

    as something highly improbable?
    Feels Good Inc.
  • nickcat0nickcat0 Posts: 75
    As a teenager I was an atheist . There was no proof of a God , and science seemed to be able to explain most things .
    Whilst I was at college , I was friendly with 2 Christians and we used to debate and discuss religion , God , heaven and hell etc. They would point out passages from the Bible to back up their claims , and took time to explain various key passages . I can't fully explain it but , eventually , it all just seemed to make sense .
    Since that day I have been convinced of God's existence . I have received comfort in times of despair , and although I'm sure not all my prayers have been answered in the way I wanted ; there have been too many times when my prayers have been answered in a very specific way , that goes beyond coincidence .
    In my experience , once I stopped looking for proof and just had faith , then the proof followed .
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    9/9/06
    Everton 3 RS 0
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jlew24asu wrote:
    highly improbable or impossible? it either exists or it doesnt.


    i'd have to say the existence of God is impossible for me to believe.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Bu2 wrote:
    My post sounds very religious, now, when compared to yours.

    When I say a "thing" created this earth, I mean that this "thing" could be a big bang caused by nature....or it could be a big bang caused by some entity. Who or what that entity is, I have no right to challenge, let alone champion.

    Religion is a big scary growth that emerged from big fear at one time. It has become a cess pool of war and hatred and bigotry.

    So when I say I offer thanks each day to this "thing", I mean that I offer thanks to whatever brought us life and the miracle of fish, flowers, thoughts, food, friendship, creativity, breath, days, and everything else that -- when you really look at it -- is a miracle.

    Religion's God is not in play here, in my worship. Life and death and everything in between are what I give thanks for, and to.
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die but the inbetween is mine." :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    i'd have to say the existence of God is impossible for me to believe.

    ....why ask everyone else here about it?

    I'm just curious, I mean no offense.
    Feels Good Inc.
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    why do you wish for this to be the case?
    I just do. I would rather wish something happens then just accept that nothing happens
    no i don't feel like you're insulting me. but you could be doing it so subtlely that i'm too dense to pick up on it. doubt it though. :D
    hehe :D I respect your beliefs
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Bu2 wrote:
    as something highly improbable?

    it can. but atheists, such as Ahimus, believe it is impossible. and he used the word improbable. now stay out of it!! haha j/k
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Bu2 wrote:
    ....why ask everyone else here about it?

    I'm just curious, I mean no offense.

    very good question.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Bu2 wrote:
    ....why ask everyone else here about it?

    I'm just curious, I mean no offense.

    no offense taken. :)

    i was thinking about it the other day, that's all. i was wondering how people came about their faith. whether is came from habit or some epiphany or whether they were raised in religion. or from fear or uncertainness. and what makes people keep believing.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • jlew24asu wrote:
    I just do. I would rather wish something happens then just accept that nothing happens

    This is what I've said when talking about heaven with theists. I say that heaven is someting people want to believe in because they can't face the finality of death. And I'm not saying they're wrong to believe that, I'm just saying that I don't necessarily need that comfort.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    jlew24asu wrote:
    highly improbable or impossible? it either exists or it doesnt.

    This old saying comes to mind "Nothing is impossible, just improbable."
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    jlew24asu wrote:
    it can. but atheists, such as Ahimus, believe it is impossible. and he used the word improbable. now stay out of it!! haha j/k

    Perhaps you've misunderstood. I think Christianity is impossible. That is, it's claims are impossible. But this thread refers to God, which is improbable, IMO.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I don’t believe in god because nobody has proven his existence.

    When i was little i believed, because it seemed to be the safest path. I was raised Catholic and and looked at it this way..

    If you believe in god and he exists, you get to go to heaven.
    If you believe in god and he doesn’t exist, nothing happens.
    If you don’t believe in god and he exists, you go to hell.
    If you don’t believe in god and he doesn’t exist, nothing happens.

    When i was growing up, he had a lot to say. When i lost someone close to me he had a lot of nothing to say. This 'god' gave me no comfort at all. Did my parents, but not me.
  • Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Perhaps you've misunderstood. I think Christianity is impossible. That is, it's claims are impossible. But this thread refers to God, which is improbable, IMO.

    you believe that God itself, or "a higher power", is not impossible, but only improbable?
    Feels Good Inc.
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    This is what I've said when talking about heaven with theists. I say that heaven is someting people want to believe in because they can't face the finality of death. And I'm not saying they're wrong to believe that, I'm just saying that I don't necessarily need that comfort.

    great. but what does face the finality of death mean? there is no such thing. you know why? because you dont know what happens when you die. you just dont. and neither do I
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Perhaps you've misunderstood. I think Christianity is impossible. That is, it's claims are impossible. But this thread refers to God, which is improbable, IMO.

    so you are an atheist who thinks (believes) that there is a chance god exists?
  • Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    jlew24asu wrote:
    so you are an atheist who thinks (believes) that there is a chance god exists?

    you copycat, you!

    Heh heh...
    Feels Good Inc.
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    I don’t believe in god because nobody has proven his existence.
    yea, but sometimes dont you think there is more to this place then we can comprehend?
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    When i was little i believed, because it seemed to be the safest path. I was raised Catholic and and looked at it this way..

    If you believe in god and he exists, you get to go to heaven.
    If you believe in god and he doesn’t exist, nothing happens.
    If you don’t believe in god and he exists, you go to hell.
    If you don’t believe in god and he doesn’t exist, nothing happens.
    that sounds ok. I respect these beliefs
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    When i was growing up, he had a lot to say. When i lost someone close to me he had a lot of nothing to say. This 'god' gave me no comfort at all. Did my parents, but not me.

    the power of the mind is what heals (mental) pain. belief in god, sometimes triggers that healing process. but not for all.
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Bu2 wrote:
    you believe that God itself, or "a higher power", is not impossible, but only improbable?

    I don't see how it could be possible. If you mean a personal God, then no, not possible, IMO. But I suggested a Cosmic Architect, which could simply be a set of physical rules. "God" encompasses many definitions.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
Sign In or Register to comment.