Options

why do you believe in God or...

Comments

• Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,038
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    The last time I called God, I got a busy signal...

sigh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYC63Ej4mY8

:D
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    angelica wrote:

Stop with the Kabbalah!
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Stop with the Kabbalah!
    ??
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

• Options
    angelica wrote:
    "For we know in part... but when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away... for now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Corinthians 13:9-12

just saw some parallels to the link you provided with this text... :)
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Options
    "For we know in part... but when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away... for now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Corinthians 13:9-12

Universal Truths are universal. :)

There is a reason that those who deeply study the "unseen" forces come to harmonize with and "see" them to a degree. :) It's about KNOWledge.

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    cornnifer wrote:
    Look, man. i've already said i'm not going to fight with you. You had asked a question about people living in traditionaly non-Christian parts of the world, and i answered it. i illustrated how there is, in fact, an abundance of Christians in these parts of the world. More than 28 million CONFIRMED christians in a nation that likes to torture Christians, making examples of them before killing them is significant. Accept the fact that you lost that one. "no further questions, your honor".

As far as the other stuff, you're absolutely right. Your a regular seminary student. Your understanding of Christian faith is unparalleled. Have a good day.

how have i lost that one? my point was that you are no more likely to convert to a minority religion like islam is here in the US than they are to convert to christianity. just becos they might know it exists hardly is a compelling reason for them to convert. and i firmly believe that had you been born there, you'd be on here right now preaching how we all need to believe confucious or suffer the consequences. the only reason you're a christian who believes in jesus is becos you were born into a culture where that was common and a large part of your raising and heritage. islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. people don't convert to christianity... they are born into it. why do you think that is? a better story? more truthful? cultural?
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    ??

That's what it is Jewish Kabbalah.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    how's that of any relevance??? if we choose otherwise, yeah, let's say he'll forgive us, but where have your choices led you? is that to say taht if you were wrong and you were at the pits of hell you'll turn around and say, "oops, sorry God, please forgive me i believe, ok, now get me out."?

yup, pretty much. if i get to the pearly gates and see JC standing there i'll say "sorry man, that bible was whack and some of the DB's you had acting in your name down there were nuts. so i spent my life going straight to your father with my spiritual problems. i hope you can forgive me for that one... i just wanted to be sure i was getting His word and not some whackjob baptist preacher's."

and if he's not willing to forgive that (here comes the full circle), then that deity is a vain little prick and i want nothing to do with him.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    That's what it is Jewish Kabbalah.
    I'm questioning your anger and telling "people" what to do.

• Options

That's because both are religious ideas.
  • Options
    God's love is and so is His love strong enough to forgive a devout jew who devoted helping others, just so long as he realizes that is body is under a state of corruption and he needs to be cleansed by the blood of jesus.

basically, if you believe in Christ and follow his words, then all amount of goodness shall be accomplished in your life. every step that you take will be graceful and righteous. or at least that's what the bible promises.

can you explain to me the total contradiction here. if you are a jew, by definition, you do not ask jesus for forgiveness. so you are saying that god can forgive a jew, then in the same sentence saying that god cannot forgive that jew or let him into heaven.
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    I find it interesting that you focus on what people do as a way to get to heaven. some christian denominations believe in grace alone while other denominations (catholic comes to mind) believe in grace and good works. Grace is what saves people...knowing that we are getting something we don't deserve, not by anything that we do. Which is why the child murderer, murderer, liar etc... all can get to heaven b/c it's about grace and then changing your attitude based on grace...not changing your attitude and actions hoping that it gets you in to heaven. I know a lot of people feel like it's just a free pass to do whatever then say, I'm sorry...then it's ok. God knows the heart and he knows the person which is why HE is the judge and HE is the perfect judge.

tell that to deadnothingbetter, who so enjoys speaking for god and telling everyone else what judgments god can and cannot make.
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    I'm questioning your anger and telling "people" what to do.

Oh, you thought I was genuinely angry?

I just think Kabbalah is counter productive. It's taking new scientific knowledge and applying to to out-dated concepts of reality.

Consider the basis of the video... we can't know what is outside because our brains only interpret it in certain ways. However, that whole concept stems from the interpretation of the outside that we have brains.

The whole idea of this seems somewhat paradoxical. We see that we have brains and thus we do not see things as they really are, because of how we see our brains.

To be honest, the first time I watched the video I was impressed, but it quickly spun off into some old theory about reality that doesn't hold up with the rest of the claims. It reminds me of the video I saw on google called "The Holographic Universe" which makes many of the same claims then spins off into how that proves Allah is the grand architect and everyone should become muslims. This video basically lays the foundation for becoming a Kabbalist based on the exact same claims.
  • Options
    yup, pretty much. if i get to the pearly gates and see JC standing there i'll say "sorry man, that bible was whack and some of the DB's you had acting in your name down there were nuts. so i spent my life going straight to your father with my spiritual problems. i hope you can forgive me for that one... i just wanted to be sure i was getting His word and not some whackjob baptist preacher's."

and if he's not willing to forgive that (here comes the full circle), then that deity is a vain little prick and i want nothing to do with him.
    yeah, ok... so we've come to the conclusion. but still based on what you say you lack to understand what Jesus accomplished. and i'm not trying to make you believe, but that's entirely up to you.
  • Options
    tell that to deadnothingbetter, who so enjoys speaking for god and telling everyone else what judgments god can and cannot make.
    i'm not speaking for God... just someone has a hard time reading the bible the way it's written.
  • Options
    can you explain to me the total contradiction here. if you are a jew, by definition, you do not ask jesus for forgiveness. so you are saying that god can forgive a jew, then in the same sentence saying that god cannot forgive that jew or let him into heaven.
    ???

where do you see a contradiction? i said that a jew will need to seek repentance just like any other human being.... although, biblically speaking, the jews have promises still pending for them... so technically after the church is no longer here... God will deal with them once again one-on-one.
  • Options
    cutback wrote:

yeah but some chick named Janet answered though....how'd you know? lol

It wasn't my birthday though...dammit...

very funny clip
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    ???

where do you see a contradiction? i said that a jew will need to seek repentance just like any other human being.... although, biblically speaking, the jews have promises still pending for them... so technically after the church is no longer here... God will deal with them once again one-on-one.

you say god can forgive jews, but only if they're not jews. that's ridiculous. god could forgive muslims too then, as long as they're not muslim and become christian. that's the most shameless doublespeak i ever heard... "sure, god can forgive anyone, as long as they're christian."
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Oh, you thought I was genuinely angry?

I just think Kabbalah is counter productive. It's taking new scientific knowledge and applying to to out-dated concepts of reality.

Consider the basis of the video... we can't know what is outside because our brains only interpret it in certain ways. However, that whole concept stems from the interpretation of the outside that we have brains.

The whole idea of this seems somewhat paradoxical. We see that we have brains and thus we do not see things as they really are, because of how we see our brains.

To be honest, the first time I watched the video I was impressed, but it quickly spun off into some old theory about reality that doesn't hold up with the rest of the claims. It reminds me of the video I saw on google called "The Holographic Universe" which makes many of the same claims then spins off into how that proves Allah is the grand architect and everyone should become muslims. This video basically lays the foundation for becoming a Kabbalist based on the exact same claims.
    I wasn't sure about the anger. I posted the first ever video/or-anything on Kabbalah, ever. And that was your response. I questioned that.

I posted the video because it conceptually depicts pretty much exactly what I experience, understand and talk about all the time: That which is outside the box, but that is the real reality. And how when we are aligned we are at-one with our Truth and "complete perception" (holistic), unlimited pleasure, and our eternal and unbounded existence, all of which we are each immersed in in each second NOW. 'Cept, looking through the box, without the desire to "move on" from who we see ourselves as being--separate--we don't "get it". And also, as we speak, many of us are breaking through to the other side. :)

• Options
    angelica wrote:

I listened to that with an extremely expensive ($600+ retail) pair of headphones (on ebay for $350...woo...) and I have to say it freaked me out quite nicely.

Very nice assortment of reverb(s).

Oh, and I've had a few litres of beer..

So I must now jump off the train as I'm now semi-inebriated and jam until I'm sweaty...

Oh god too much information....

must blame on alcohol...no shame.. :D
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    angelica wrote:

nice ad for Kabbalah books.

but i don't know if I should buy them because "Since the Zohar was written, most Kabbalistic works assume that Jewish and non-Jewish souls are fundamentally different. While all human souls emanate from God, the Zohar posits that at least part of the Gentile soul emanates from the "left side" of the Sefirotic structure and that non-Jews therefore have a dark or demonic aspect to them that is absent in Jews.

Later Kabbalistic works build and elaborate on this idea. The Hasidic work, the Tanya, fuses this idea with Judah ha-Levi's medieval philosophical argument for the uniqueness of the Jewish soul, in order to argue that Jews have an additional level of soul that other humans do not possess."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabalah
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    I wasn't sure about the anger. I posted the first ever video/or-anything on Kabbalah, ever. And that was your response. I questioned that.

I posted the video because it conceptually depicts pretty much exactly what I experience, understand and talk about all the time: That which is outside the box, but that is the real reality. And how when we are aligned we are at-one with our Truth and "complete perception" (holistic), unlimited pleasure, and our eternal and unbounded existence, all of which we are each immersed in in each second NOW. 'Cept, looking through the box, without the desire to "move on" from who we see ourselves as being--separate--we don't "get it". And also, as we speak, many of us are breaking through to the other side. :)

You don't see the inherent paradox?

Ultimately what you perceive is not reality, but, the claim is, you can perceive reality, even though you will always exist in the black box. Then how can I not be perceiving reality correctly now, and maybe Kabbalists are deluded in their own desire of what reality ought to be.

I've always had a problem with the vocabulary used in these kinds of things. It has far too many holes in it.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    You don't see the inherent paradox?

Ultimately what you perceive is not reality, but, the claim is, you can perceive reality, even though you will always exist in the black box. Then how can I not be perceiving reality correctly now, and maybe Kabbalists are deluded in their own desire of what reality ought to be.

I've always had a problem with the vocabulary used in these kinds of things. It has far too many holes in it.
    The map is not the territory. In order to understand the territory, one must travel it. Flaws in the map are part of the view in the box.

• Options
    I agree with most of the black box stuff, but I just don't see any foundation for the argument of a cosmic bestower.

Another paradox in the video is that A) There is no separation, but B) The bestower wants to give you enlightenment. And A) The bestower is not selfish, but the epitome of altruism and B)wants to enlighten people. Want is a selfish concept. Finally, contrary to the video Kabbalah is not a science. There is no evidence of any kind of architect.
  • Options
    you say god can forgive jews, but only if they're not jews. that's ridiculous. god could forgive muslims too then, as long as they're not muslim and become christian. that's the most shameless doublespeak i ever heard... "sure, god can forgive anyone, as long as they're christian."
    let's go back a little bit... and i'm typing this very slowly just so you know.... (i'm really laughing at your comments, not in a bad way tho... i enjoy chatting with you)

i've already told you... what christ came to accomplish was rescue humanity from sin... christ, being the only one who overcame sin and death, delivered us from condemnation. he already did, all of us. it's only up to YOU to believe it and it's primarily up to YOU to believe that sin no longer lives but Christ in you.

going back, originally, you said that how is it that God would forgive a murderer simply cause he believed in jesus and how would he condemn a jew who devouted his life to giving to charity (or something like that) simply cause he didn't accept jesus??

my response was that every single individual is under the condemnation of sin. christ came to deliver us from that condemnation. so it's not becuase you're a jew that you go to hell, or a muslim, or whatever.... it's simply because of the state of corruption that you're in. i don't know... do you still see a contradiction somewhere? help me out...
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    The map is not the territory. In order to understand the territory, one must travel it. Flaws in the map are part of the view in the box.

Yea, but you can't travel it, you can only perceive it. The main point of the video is that you may be perceiving reality wrong, and so might they, they just assume they are perceiving it correctly, without ever having direct access to reality.
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    ...why don't you, if that is the case.

i am an atheist. i don't believe in a God cause it makes absolutely no sense to me. this has been the case since i was 11 years old. religion does not give me the answers i require.

if you don't believe in something greater than yourself, why ask the question?
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • Options
    if you don't believe in something greater than yourself, why ask the question?

My guess is causation. We all ask "Why?" because we inherently recognize causality. God is by definition contra-causal. So perhaps your question should be "If you believe in God, why ask questions?"
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    Ahnimus wrote:
    My guess is causation. We all ask "Why?" because we inherently recognize causality. God is by definition contra-causal. So perhaps your question should be "If you believe in God, why ask questions?"

thanks professor...

but no...my question stands as i posted it...

if you don't believe in something greater than yourself...why the hell do you care if other people do? and if you pose such a question, i'm guessing you're interested in believing.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things